PDA

View Full Version : Stress getting to Magglio, I-Rod...interesting take

caulfield12
08-13-2006, 06:26 AM
http://www.freepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060813/SPORTS02/608130650/1048/SPORTS

Throw in the Guillen errors (more than anyone in the AL, even the dreaded E-Rod) and you have gut-check time amongst the three Tiger veterans.

Madvora
08-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Oh I hope this pressure starts getting to them. They're due for a crumble.

Personally I wrote off the division when the Sox dropped to 8 back two weeks after the second half started. However, if they sweep today and end up 5.5 back, then it's on again and the race is for real.
Every single year I fail to realize how long the season really is. I panic way too early.

daveeym
08-13-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm drooling about the next week and the possibilities. It's gonna be a tough stretch for the ligres.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Oh I hope this pressure starts getting to them. They're due for a crumble.

Personally I wrote off the division when the Sox dropped to 8 back two weeks after the second half started. However, if they sweep today and end up 5.5 back, then it's on again and the race is for real.
Every single year I fail to realize how long the season really is. I panic way too early.

Just keep saying, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." Hell, it's not 10K either. It's a MARATHON!!!!

Tragg
08-13-2006, 10:13 AM
They still have a 6+ game lead.
I don't think they'll crumble...they'll come back to earth some, but ultimately we'll have to keep beating them to win this division.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
They still have a 6+ game lead.
I don't think they'll crumble...they'll come back to earth some, but ultimately we'll have to keep beating them to win this division.

It's not an impossiblity that they'll crumble. A lot is riding on today's game. If the Sox win and close to 5.5, then there is a good chance that their lack of experience in pressure situations will catch up with them. They might just fall apart.

It may not come in one fell swoop, but it could come. The next week or two is where we'll see what the Tigers are made of. As I've said before, the dog days have gotten to many a team.

Tragg
08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
It's not an impossiblity that they'll crumble. A lot is riding on today's game. If the Sox win and close to 5.5, then there is a good chance that their lack of experience in pressure situations will catch up with them. They might just fall apart.

It may not come in one fell swoop, but it could come. The next week or two is where we'll see what the Tigers are made of. As I've said before, the dog days have gotten to many a team.
It certainly could happen...I'm just not counting on it. Let's face it, the dog days got to us last year...I never thought we were crumbling, but just the odds catching up with us. And we settled down in September with a 10 game lead, which we needed because Cleveland went on a ridiculous run. Guillen's use of the B team throughout the season kept us pretty fresh, especially for the playoffs.
Thjs sweep would be huge...Minny's sweep of us, put them back in the hunt.

Save McCuddy's
08-13-2006, 10:41 AM
They've got a cold run coming. It's all going to come down to that pitching and whether it's prepared for a stretch run.

Here we come!

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 10:57 AM
They've got a cold run coming. It's all going to come down to that pitching and whether it's prepared for a stretch run.

Here we come!

And I'd add their defense which looks pretty suspect lately.

Grzegorz
08-13-2006, 11:10 AM

Maybe they fall apart and maybe this is their bump in the road. I care a whole bunch less about their mental composition than I do the White Sox.

As someone noted earlier the White Sox were in this very position last year.

If the White Sox take care of business they'll be fine.

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Here's the telling line:The Tigers insist they aren't pressing, but I've seen zit-ridden teenagers with more confidence. Saturday, six of them struck out in their first plate appearance against Mark Buehrle, who isn't even a strikeout pitcher.The Tigers don't need to crumble. The Sox just clipped 3.5 games off the lead in one week. They just need to gain one game a week from here on. If they just play like they did the first three months of the season, they can do that easily.

caulfield12
08-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I forgot about this...

One year ago today, we were in the second game of our seven game losing streak. At the end of the day, we were still 74-41 (1.5 behind current DET pace)...and would fall the way down to 74-46. If we won five in a row, we would have the same exact record...eerie.

Anyway, the Indians were still only 63-52, 11 games back.

They wouldn't take advantage of our rough patch, ending at 64-56, still 10 games back and a comfortable lead.
But, from that losing streak on, it became a war of attrition as the Indians got white hot and nearly chased us down.
They went all the way to 91-63, a 27-7 stretch of baseball before the fateful and now infamous Grady Sizemore botched ball in the sun play.

jabrch
08-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Funny...I read this thread as Ivan Rodriguez blows up and completely flips his top, requiring Carlos Guillen to save Rodriguez from a surefire suspension by bearhugging him.

Nice call - maybe the Tiggers are starting to feel the tightening around their necks?

tick53
08-13-2006, 05:11 PM
The Tigers are hitting their slump and we're past ours. They're on their way to Boston to face Big Slappy & Company and we're at home for KC. Pressure on Mags? Some but he always keeps a cool head. Pressure in IRod? As he displayed today with his little flare-up,YES!

Sit back,relax and strap it down! The best is yet to come!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :sweep DETROIT!

Frontman
08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Farmio certainly isn't a fan of Ivan's. Hates the fact he appeals just about every check swing, tosses balls that hit the dirt without the ump asking for it. I would of loved to hear his comments about Pudge's behavior today.

Front

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
And I'd add their defense which looks pretty suspect lately.

It sure did on Friday and Saturday.:cool: :cool:

The G boys (Granderson and Guillen) made 2 great plays
in the first inning today.If not for those plays,the Sox could have
put 3 or 4 on the board in the first inning alone.:D: :D:

maurice
08-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I suspect that I-Roid only acted that way because he knew that Guillen would hold him back. Typical ******* trying to act tough?

Justagirl
08-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I suspect that I-Roid only acted that way because he knew that Guillen would hold him back. Typical ******* trying to act tough?
Probably, but I think if he had the chance he would have hit him. Did you see the look in his eyes? Perhaps Carlos holding him back just made him snap
back to reality and thats why he didnt.

maurice
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Did you see the look in his eyes?

Roid-rage.
:cool:

southside rocks
08-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Farmio certainly isn't a fan of Ivan's. Hates the fact he appeals just about every check swing, tosses balls that hit the dirt without the ump asking for it. I would of loved to hear his comments about Pudge's behavior today.

Front

Did you hear Farmio a week or so ago talk about Rodriguez's actions when he [Pudge] hit that game-winning homerun? I-Rod showboated all around the bases, and the next night Farmer went out of his way to mention it with total contempt, more than once. He even quoted a comment that Ross Gload made about it, something like 'gee, I didn't realize it was game 7 of the World Series already.'

I-Rod and Buck Showalter, two guys who can get Farmer's knickers in a twist. Pretty funny.

southside rocks
08-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Roid-rage.
:cool:

Totally.

How much fun will it be when Timmons is behind the plate in a Detroit game and Rodriguez is catching? Your pitchers really appreciate it, I-Rod: you just shrank their strike zone to the size of a gnat's behind. :redneck

Justagirl
08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Did anyone hear or see anything about an argument between Paulie & Pudge yesterday? Ive talked to a few people that were there that said the 2 had an exchange but werent sure what it was about. Also I heard that there was an altercation between Timmons & Pudge before the top of the 8th.

DumpJerry
08-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Probably, but I think if he had the chance he would have hit him. Did you see the look in his eyes? Perhaps Carlos holding him back just made him snap
back to reality and thats why he didnt.
You might want to ditch the pic.

Justagirl
08-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Done. Thanks ;)

DumpJerry
08-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Done. Thanks ;)
No problem. I noticed you're new here and posting copyrighted materials is a big no no.

Frontman
08-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Did you hear Farmio a week or so ago talk about Rodriguez's actions when he [Pudge] hit that game-winning homerun? I-Rod showboated all around the bases, and the next night Farmer went out of his way to mention it with total contempt, more than once. He even quoted a comment that Ross Gload made about it, something like 'gee, I didn't realize it was game 7 of the World Series already.'

I-Rod and Buck Showalter, two guys who can get Farmer's knickers in a twist. Pretty funny.

Well, I think the whole "Pudge" nickname for Ivan rubs Farmer the wrong way. Fisk might of been a jerk at times, but on the field he was professional. I don't think I-Roid is professional always carries himself as professional as he could. His blow up yesterday was prime example of it, especially coming back at the umpire and needing to be restrained.

Front

Oblong
08-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm a Tiger fan and not really a fan of Rodriguez. There was a rumor last year that he tried to start a fight with Alan Trammell. That's enough for me. I don't care what went on or how bad of a manager he may have been. You just don't do that to my hero growing up.

So count this Tiger fan as someone who's kind of with you guys on the dislike for Ivan Rodriguez. He only came here to Detroit because they offered a 4 year deal.

He's a drama queen. Anybody who's got a 10 foot statue of himself at home is a bit batty upstairs.

Justagirl
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
was that the incident involving the stereo? i heard something about that..