PDA

View Full Version : This is why you should behave in other ballparks

DumpJerry
08-13-2006, 02:09 AM
So, there I was at the Buerhle/Tigers game, surrounded by numerous Tiger fans. All but one Tiger fan was nice, meaning they minded their own business and were there to watch the game. However, this one guy who was two rows directly in front of me got on all our nerves right away (even the Tiger fans' nerves). In the 1st inning, this guy would give the Tigers a standing ovation every time Buehrle threw a ball and every time a White Sox batter got out. After the inning ended, he started yelling at us "Seven and a half!" over and over. I responded that routine fly balls do not earn a standing O to the chuckles of White Sox and Tiger fans alike. He kept up the homer attitude as the game wore on.

When Konerko broke up Rogers' perfect game bid, Mr. Tiger started to pout and look sad. I proclaimed he was going to cry. He re-grouped and kept up his attitude. A Tiger fan in front of me at one point looked at me like I was going to say something to him and I told him he was ok because he knew when to cheer for his team and he was not making anyone angry.

Well, when Jenks got the final out and Mr. Tiger looked like his life was over, I decided it was payback time for 2 hours of his garbage. He slumped in his seat, head forward in his hands and I leaned over his back and started yelling (all clean language, there were young ears present):
"Chokers! The Tigers are chokers! Three errors! You call that playoff caliber baseball? Just like the Red Wings, a bunch of chokers! How about those Red Wings? How well did they do? The Red Wings did better than the Tiger will do this year! Six and half! You hear me?! It was ten two days ago! Choke job!"

His friends just sat there looking at him in his misery and did not intervene.

This is why you should not be a homer in another ballpark (except the Urinal) until your team has won the game.

At one point late in the game Thome was at bat and while the Sox fans around me were yelling for a home run I yelled for Thome to first hit a foul ball to Section 112, Row 16, Seat 3 (Mr. Tiger's seat). Mr. Tiger's friends got a good laugh over that one.

Timmy D's
08-13-2006, 02:46 AM
I have to travel alot for work, but just about NEVER does it coincide w/ the Sox, so I really cant say be an extreme follower of our team on the road claimer, but I have caught them a few times away. I would have to say, you would have to have a screw or 2 loose though, to walk into a strange ball park, and start talkin' smack. The couple times I did go, I except for obvious cheering situations, kept my mouth shut. I cant imagine being that ignorant. I can hold my own so to speak, but who wants to have like 50 guys work ya after the game. Glad ya got in his face after the game. !!!! I think we've all seen the idiot in the parking lot takin on 30,000 fans after the game get his head kicked in. What are they thinkin'????!!!!

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 07:39 AM
First of all, I wonder if Mr. Tigers Fan was actually one of those Cubs fans who buys whatever cap or jersey belongs to the team he has Sox tickets for because he can't afford to buy tickets scalped by the Tribune Co. I could have sworn there were several of those mixed in with the Yankees fans I saw at the game the other night.

Second, you really do have to know how to behave at the opposition ball park. Rule #1 is don't make an ass of yourself. Keep your mouth shut. You might even have a few of the locals ask you what you think of your team's chances, how individual players are doing, etc. In other words, you might meet some real baseball fans.

It also helps to keep our mouth shut in certain locations. My son and a friend of his went to Yankee Stadium a year or two ago and had bleacher seats right among the group that has some nickname that implies that they're not going to be the friendliest people on the outside. They kept their mouths shut and had absolutely NO problems. (That might have had something to do with the fact that there were some guys wearing Mets gear in the same section, too. I guess there are Mets fans who are as stupid as Cubs fans and go to the other ballpark like that for whatever moronic reason when their team isn't playing there.)

SoxFan78
08-13-2006, 08:36 AM
They are all coming out of the woodwork this year thats for sure. I think in my years of going to Comiskey, I have seen about 10 Tiger fans. Since they are having a great year though, they are out in droves.

I had one annoying fan in my section. Everytime Buehrle would do something bad, he would lay into him. A shot down the line from Crede, he would yell "Hey Crede, you got nothin on Inge!"

But when the Sox came back and eventually took the lead, he had nothing to say.

Also leaving, after being beat, Tiger fans still couldnt keep their mouths shut.

I heard these witty responses when leaving the park

6 1/2 up!
Chicago Pizza Sucks
Bears suck
Go back to your trailers (in which I responded, "Wait, where do you live, oh yeah, DETROIT!)
Should be a intresting afternoon today.

cws05champ
08-13-2006, 08:47 AM
First of all, I wonder if Mr. Tigers Fan was actually one of those Cubs fans who buys whatever cap or jersey belongs to the team he has Sox tickets for because he can't afford to buy tickets scalped by the Tribune Co. I could have sworn there were several of those mixed in with the Yankees fans I saw at the game the other night.

Second, you really do have to know how to behave at the opposition ball park. Rule #1 is don't make an ass of yourself. Keep your mouth shut. You might even have a few of the locals ask you what you think of your team's chances, how individual players are doing, etc. In other words, you might meet some real baseball fans.

It also helps to keep our mouth shut in certain locations. My son and a friend of his went to Yankee Stadium a year or two ago and had bleacher seats right among the group that has some nickname that implies that they're not going to be the friendliest people on the outside. They kept their mouths shut and had absolutely NO problems. (That might have had something to do with the fact that there were some guys wearing Mets gear in the same section, too. I guess there are Mets fans who are as stupid as Cubs fans and go to the other ballpark like that for whatever moronic reason when their team isn't playing there.)

I was at Yankee stadium this year, and cheered for the Sox for two games...not making an ass of myself. And, for the most part, the Yankee fans were reasonable towards us. I could not imagine going in there and talking all sorts of crap towards the Yankee's and their fans....it's just disrespectful to be a jerk in another team's ballpark. I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for your team when they do well....just don;t taunt the opposing fans in their own stadium. Your looking for an ass whoppin'!

Chez
08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
[quote=SoxFan78]They are all coming out of the woodwork this year thats for sure. I think in my years of going to Comiskey, I have seen about 10 Tiger fans. Since they are having a great year though, they are out in droves.

I disagree. There have always been lots of Tigers fans at Sox games -- especially for weekend series. The Tiger fans in my section (149) yesterday were all well behaved. Nothing like the Yankees fans. How can we blame them for being excited? They are (were?) having a terrific season.

DumpJerry
08-13-2006, 09:21 AM

I considered the possibility he was a Flub fan, but his Tiger gear was a bit too worn to be brand new. Also his passion was too intense-the Flub fans whom I saw with Yankee stuff on did not have total passion for the Yanks. with this being a weekend series, I'm sure a ton of Detroit people made teh short drive to see their heros.

I made three road trips this year: Cincy, Baltimore and the Urinal. With the exception of The Urinal, I was polite. In Cincy I was sitting by myself next to their version of the Scout Seats among seasn ticket holders. When Crede hit his granny in the 1st, I jumped up yelled my approval to Joe and then sat down. In Baltimore, my friends and I cheered during the exciting moments for a bit and then sat down except with Gload hit his granny-we did go nuts.

At The Urinal, I did not give darn about the feelings of the drunks jerks around me (season ticket holders behind 1st Base who were 50+ years old and acting like teenagers whose parents went away for the weekend) and let my love for the Sox show, but I cheered for the Sox, did not talk smack to the Fub fans.

WSox597
08-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Go back to your trailers

Nice. I don't live in a trailer, but I'd rather live in a trailer in Illinois that a McMansion anywhere near Detroit.

Ever see satellite pictures of Detroit? It looks like a park, huge green areas where houses used to be.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
I considered the possibility he was a Flub fan, but his Tiger gear was a bit too worn to be brand new. Also his passion was too intense-the Flub fans whom I saw with Yankee stuff on did not have total passion for the Yanks. with this being a weekend series, I'm sure a ton of Detroit people made teh short drive to see their heros.

I made three road trips this year: Cincy, Baltimore and the Urinal. With the exception of The Urinal, I was polite. In Cincy I was sitting by myself next to their version of the Scout Seats among seasn ticket holders. When Crede hit his granny in the 1st, I jumped up yelled my approval to Joe and then sat down. In Baltimore, my friends and I cheered during the exciting moments for a bit and then sat down except with Gload hit his granny-we did go nuts.

At The Urinal, I did not give darn about the feelings of the drunks jerks around me (season ticket holders behind 1st Base who were 50+ years old and acting like teenagers whose parents went away for the weekend) and let my love for the Sox show, but I cheered for the Sox, did not talk smack to the Fub fans.

Everything you did is well within the bounds of what fans in the home park would consider acceptable. One thing I can't stand, though, is Cubs fans who go to The Cell, or Sox fans who go to The Shrine for that matter, dressed up in their team's gear when their team isn't even playing there. To me that's just being an *******.

Brian26
08-13-2006, 10:50 AM
This is why you should not be a homer in another ballpark (except the Urinal) until your team has won the game.

I would suggest, depending on where you are, it's still not a good idea to be a homer in another ballpark even AFTER your team has won the game.

Uncle_Patrick
08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Was anyone sitting in section 507 during Saturday's game? It was a Tiger fan haven. I was there, and I swear that 3/4 of the section was Tigers fans. A couple of Sox fans behind me took issue with a group of six 20-something Tigers fans who had T-I-G-E-R-S painted across their chests and were routinely leading the rallies cries of "Let's Go Tigers", "Crede Sucks", and "When I say 'Tigers' you say 'Roar'". Things got ugly, but thankfully no punches were thrown. We left at the end of the game but the Sox fans and Tigers fans involved in all the **** talking where hanging around in their seats after we left, so I don't know if anything went down we left.

LongLiveFisk
08-13-2006, 10:55 AM
The only time I ever saw the Sox on the road was in Boston for two games, and I definitely minded my manners. You will get along better with the people around you and actually have some good baseball conversations if you're cool. No sense in making an ass of yourself.

peeonwrigley
08-13-2006, 11:26 AM
There are lots of Michigan transplants in the city because so many Michigan natives don't want to live/work in Detroit. I can hardly blame them.

ewokpelts
08-13-2006, 01:34 PM
These liger fans are really flub fans jumping on the new sox enemy's bandwagon.
there were quite a few jndians jerseys around town backin the 90's

and of course, blow sawks(almost overnight in 2003 and 2004) and the yanks

Brian26
08-13-2006, 01:45 PM
These liger fans are really flub fans jumping on the new sox enemy's bandwagon.
there were quite a few jndians jerseys around town backin the 90's

and of course, blow sawks(almost overnight in 2003 and 2004) and the yanks

I've seen a couple of guys (who I know are lifelong Cub fans) walking around with brand new Detroit hats this summer.

LongLiveFisk
08-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I've seen a couple of guys (who I know are lifelong Cub fans) walking around with brand new Detroit hats this summer.

Did you ask them what happened to their Astros caps? :kneeslap:

ewokpelts
08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
I've seen a couple of guys (who I know are lifelong Cub fans) walking around with brand new Detroit hats this summer.do they wear the hats with thier cub jerseys/jackets? i've seen blow sawks hats and cub jersey combos

pearso66
08-13-2006, 05:08 PM
During Friday's game, we went with 2 friends from MSU, who were Tiger fans. One was talking crap the entire ride there, and walking to the park, and the first couple of innings. The other Tiger fan, an actual real baseball fan said, hey, this is all on you man, you don't trash talk like that before a game that you could possibly lose.

Anyway, during the game, the one said something like "a ton of nobodys being left on base". Later, after the Sox scored a couple runs, I think it was after all 5 were scored actually, I responded with "hey look at all those nobody's being left on base, oh wait, you don't have any yet." Of course, I knew they had a couple of baserunners, but my message was felt by him, he just hung his head.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 05:16 PM
During Friday's game, we went with 2 friends from MSU, who were Tiger fans. One was talking crap the entire ride there, and walking to the park, and the first couple of innings. The other Tiger fan, an actual real baseball fan said, hey, this is all on you man, you don't trash talk like that before a game that you could possibly lose.

Anyway, during the game, the one said something like "a ton of nobodys being left on base". Later, after the Sox scored a couple runs, I think it was after all 5 were scored actually, I responded with "hey look at all those nobody's being left on base, oh wait, you don't have any yet." Of course, I knew they had a couple of baserunners, but my message was felt by him, he just hung his head.

The actual baseball fan was right. You don't talk trash before or even during the game. You only look like an ass if you lose.

TDog
08-13-2006, 05:36 PM

The success of the 2005 White Sox and the failures of the 2006 Cubs, showing that it takes more than "being your turn" to have a winning season, seems to have put many Cubs in a position where the only thing they have to cheer for is Sox failure.

gobears1987
08-13-2006, 05:45 PM
The only park where I was openly bashing the other team was at Wrigley, but the Flubs deserve it. I've been to games at other parks like old Tiger Stadium and the Jake. I was rooting for the Sox, but not obnoxious. I've had some interesting baseball discussions with some of the fans in those parks.

gobears1987
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
The actual baseball fan was right. You don't talk trash before or even during the game. You only look like an ass if you lose.Should anyone violate that first rule, they better have the decency to eat their crow.

I want Mags back
08-13-2006, 06:15 PM
I was in 542 saturday. All the tiger fans pretty much just minded there own businees. I still don't like them though

C-Dawg
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
These Tiger fans are really flub fans jumping on the new sox enemy's bandwagon.

I've always suspected that to be the case; I know one guy who always buys a new hat and roots for the other team each time he goes to the Cell.

By the way, remember the story posted here last summer? (I forget who wrote it) where one of our members saw a really, really loud obnoxious female Red Sox fan, during the Sox-Red Sox series, and then was surprised to see the very same annoying lady a couple weeks later rooting for the Twins in her brand-new Twins shirt... Then taking a closer look, he noticed the little blue "I Believe In The Curse" Cubbie wrist band. The truth was revealed!

Wsoxmike59
08-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I work with two particularly annoying Cub fans and I swear they NEVER learn. Last year they kept making "choke" sounds as they walked past my cube in Aug and Sept.

The Sox delivered the crushing blow by winning the World Series.

I can't believe they actually started up their trash talking this year as the Sox fell behind the Tigers. As I left work on Friday I asked either of them if they wanted to bet the Sox - Tiger series this weekend to "make it interesting"???

No takers. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Whenever either of them would talk trash against the Sox I would counter with "Didja guys catch Milw or something that's making you so overjoyed and giddy?"

Or my favorite from a couple weeks ago. One of our co-workers got to throw out the 1st pitch at a Windy City Thunderbolts game at a company outing. An email went out company wide encouraging people to come to the game and "watch Heather make her pitching debut!"

I couldn't resist and I hit the REPLY TO ALL and said...Coincidentally Heather has as many wins this season as Mark Prior does!"

Cub fans at work hate me! :D:

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 07:38 PM
I work with two particularly annoying Cub fans and I swear they NEVER learn. Last year they kept making "choke" sounds as they walked past my cube in Aug and Sept.

The Sox delivered the crushing blow by winning the World Series.

I can't believe they actually started up their trash talking this year as the Sox fell behind the Tigers. As I left work on Friday I asked either of them if they wanted to bet the Sox - Tiger series this weekend to "make it interesting"???

No takers. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Whenever either of them would talk trash against the Sox I would counter with "Didja guys catch Milw or something that's making you so overjoyed and giddy?"

Or my favorite from a couple weeks ago. One of our co-workers got to throw out the 1st pitch at a Windy City Thunderbolts game at a company outing. An email went out company wide encouraging people to come to the game and "watch Heather make her pitching debut!"

I couldn't resist and I hit the REPLY TO ALL and said...Coincidentally Heather has as many wins this season as Mark Prior does!"

As well they should. Keep up the good work!

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm going to the game Friday in Minnesota, and by no means do I intend to be an ******* like some of the Tiger fans that were at the games this weekend. There was a group of about 5 or 6 a few rows in front of me in 524, and they were whooping it up, acting like they owned the place when the Tigers took a 1-0 lead. They even tried to start a "lets go Tigers" chant, which failed.

Shockingly, they left after the bottom of the 7th. Couldn't even bear to eat their crow.

Chisox003
08-13-2006, 07:59 PM
I was in 542 saturday. All the tiger fans pretty much just minded there own businees. I still don't like them though
I saw a bunch of Tiger fans all over the park this entire weekend and they were very nice.

I sold a Lemon chill to one guy and he goes "I'll let you keep the change if you say something good about the Tigers." All I said was "You guys are for real" and I had a nice $1.25 tip. :cool:

shoelessjoe90
08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Was anyone sitting in section 507 during Saturday's game? It was a Tiger fan haven. I was there, and I swear that 3/4 of the section was Tigers fans. A couple of Sox fans behind me took issue with a group of six 20-something Tigers fans who had T-I-G-E-R-S painted across their chests and were routinely leading the rallies cries of "Let's Go Tigers", "Crede Sucks", and "When I say 'Tigers' you say 'Roar'". Things got ugly, but thankfully no punches were thrown. We left at the end of the game but the Sox fans and Tigers fans involved in all the **** talking where hanging around in their seats after we left, so I don't know if anything went down we left.
I was in section 312 and I could hear them very well, on the way down the ramps, I was thought there was gonna be a huge fight...

RadioheadRocks
08-13-2006, 09:15 PM

Next time you're at work you might want to offer them some lotion... for that wicked BURN!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

RowanDye
08-13-2006, 09:15 PM
So, there I was at the Buerhle/Tigers game, surrounded by numerous Tiger fans. All but one Tiger fan was nice, meaning they minded their own business and were there to watch the game. However, this one guy who was two rows directly in front of me got on all our nerves right away (even the Tiger fans' nerves). In the 1st inning, this guy would give the Tigers a standing ovation every time Buehrle threw a ball and every time a White Sox batter got out. After the inning ended, he started yelling at us "Seven and a half!" over and over. I responded that routine fly balls do not earn a standing O to the chuckles of White Sox and Tiger fans alike. He kept up the homer attitude as the game wore on.

When Konerko broke up Rogers' perfect game bid, Mr. Tiger started to pout and look sad. I proclaimed he was going to cry. He re-grouped and kept up his attitude. A Tiger fan in front of me at one point looked at me like I was going to say something to him and I told him he was ok because he knew when to cheer for his team and he was not making anyone angry.

Well, when Jenks got the final out and Mr. Tiger looked like his life was over, I decided it was payback time for 2 hours of his garbage. He slumped in his seat, head forward in his hands and I leaned over his back and started yelling (all clean language, there were young ears present):
"Chokers! The Tigers are chokers! Three errors! You call that playoff caliber baseball? Just like the Red Wings, a bunch of chokers! How about those Red Wings? How well did they do? The Red Wings did better than the Tiger will do this year! Six and half! You hear me?! It was ten two days ago! Choke job!"

His friends just sat there looking at him in his misery and did not intervene.

At one point late in the game Thome was at bat and while the Sox fans around me were yelling for a home run I yelled for Thome to first hit a foul ball to Section 112, Row 16, Seat 3 (Mr. Tiger's seat). Mr. Tiger's friends got a good laugh over that one.

Actual homers can be real asses too. I was at the Saturday game of Baltimore series a couple weeks ago with my Dad. We had some Sox gear on, but kept our mouths shut. When Iguchi hit a homer we stood up and clapped and cheered as he rounded the bases. A 50-60 yr old Baltimore fan was behind us and started yeliing at us, " Sit down, sit down." He wasn't just saying it, he was actually getting our attention as if we should follow his command and "sit down". Well my Dad didn't like it at all and told him "We don't treat people like that in Chicago." He apologized, but what a jerk! Don't take your frustration out on people around you.

Oblong
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Were these Tiger fans "Frat Boys"?

I went to a Tiger/Sox game back in July of 2004. Aaron Rowand hit a game winning HR. We were in Chicago for a bachelor weeken and the Tigers just happened to be there so the 14 of us piled into a limo and got seats WAYYYY up beind the LF foul pole. I was the only Tiger fan in the group. We didn't see the HR because we didn't know our way out of there and wanted to catch the train before the crowd rushed in. On the way down the ramp we heard thr roar and fireworks. So you had 14 drunk guys at the little stand there by the train trying to figure out how to buy tickets. Lucily a guy was there to sort it out for us. We just told him we needed to get downtown.
I don't know what my point is. We just had a great time in Chicago.

Opposing fans should behave. I sat next to two Sox fans in Detroit and we had a great time. I showed him where Thome hit the Pepsi Porch sign when he was with Cleveland. He didn't believe me. People let this stuff get too personal.

The obnoxious ones at opposing venues have self esteem issues. If team A beats team B it doesn't mean the fans of A are better than the fans of B. especially in today's environment. It just meanst he guys who wear the shirts are better thant he guys who wear the other shirts. Chancess are those guys have no attachment to the city anyway. Where do they live int he off season.

What were you guys saying to Thome 5 years ago? What were Tiger fans saying to Maggs 5 years ago? Granderson grew up a Sox fan. One of the Chicago pitchers is from Michigan. Just enjoy baseball. I was born in Detroit so I'm a Tiger fan. If I were born in Chicago I'd definately be a Sox fan. We're the same.

I think the obnixous guy at the beginning of the thread is the same guy who would get after guys like Fielder every time they made an out. "Guy makes $7 million a year and can't get a hit!" They do that all game long. They are just bitter.

slavko
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
The success of the 2005 White Sox and the failures of the 2006 Cubs, showing that it takes more than "being your turn" to have a winning season, seems to have put many Cubs in a position where the only thing they have to cheer for is Sox failure.

They had their "turn" in 2003, but they managed to eff it up. Their current group could be a minimum 5 years away from serious contention. That legendary fan loyalty will be severly tested during that time.

pearso66
08-13-2006, 10:08 PM

Where at in 542? My season tickets are in that section, it's possible we "interacted". It's always cool to meet fellow WSIers.

34rancher
08-13-2006, 10:27 PM
I just tell the tigger fans that I know the best best way to improve Detroit.....

Burn the rest of it down...

guillen4life13
08-14-2006, 12:23 AM
On sunday, I saw a couple fights break out around the foul line side of the left field corner. I would guess something in the 140's. Punches and all. I'm guessing it had to do with Tigers' fans.

itsnotrequired
08-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Being in the upper deck, I'm used to having opposing teams fans around me. The Tiger fans I've been around are probably the nicest of any of the teams, considering their team is in first. Royal fans have been very quiet (I wonder why?)

The only jags around me this weekend where some Sox "fans". Drinking, smoking, swearing and eventually ejected. Classic...

Baby Fisk
08-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Being in the upper deck, I'm used to having opposing teams fans around me. The Tiger fans I've been around are probably the nicest of any of the teams, considering their team is in first.

Yeah, my buddy the Tigers fan and his brother are really nice people. Instead of acting like jerks this season, they have been living day-to-day hoping that their team can pull it off. They still anticipate a terrible collapse, and I almost wish they would enjoy themselves more! Arrogance is the last thing coming from them.

I don't understand why any Tigers fans WOULD be arrogant at this point, since what they have won to this point can be summed up with these two words: "jack squat."

EastCoastSoxFan
08-14-2006, 09:56 AM
The only opposing park where I have ragged on the hometown fans is Philadelphia, but that's only because I live here (and because they have an incredibly amusing habit of starting the E-A-G-L-E-S chant when the Sillies start losing).
If some young whipper-snapper tries to call me a bandwagon fan or tells me to go back home to Chicago I can reply that 1) I've been a Sox fan longer than they've been alive, and 2) I'll be taking the R5 to get home after the game.
But I always try to be careful not to dishonor the Sox Army at opposing ballparks...

Uncle_Patrick
08-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't understand why any Tigers fans WOULD be arrogant at this point, since what they have won to this point can be summed up with these two words: "jack squat."

I'm guessing that many of the most obnoxious "Tigers fans" are really Cubs fans. Like I stated earlier in thise thread, I was at Saturday's game in a section that was easily 3/4's filled with Tigers fans. The majority of them were respectful. There was really only 6 or so who were making a bit of spectacle of themselves and they easily fit the profile of the Wrigley bleacher bum frat boy stereotype.

miker
08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
With luck, they will all move there!

mark2olson
08-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I was in DC on Saturday and went to the game between the Nationals and the Mets. I was surprised, firstly, at how many NY fans had travelled to the game. My second surprise came when an older gentleman and his wife, adorned in Cubs gear, came up to me, adorned in my White Sox polo, and said "Go Sox!" We chatted briefly and the couple expressed their dismay with the Northside team. The were enthusiastic, however, that the Sox were doing well and wished me likewise as we parted.

The Mets fans were fairly well-behaved, no real homers in the bunch that I sat next to. They cheered hard for their team and expressed appreciation for good baseball. I think, however, that the Mets have more smokers in their fan base than any other team. :smile: The Nationals fans also seemed pretty well-behaved.

The field at RFK seemed pretty beat up. The grass was in poor shape and very brown in spots.

We sat in the upper tier and it seemed like we had to climb a ladder to get to our seats. It makes you appreciate the Cel all the the more.

maurice
08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Most of the Tigers fans were really well behaved, and they were actual Tiger fans from Michigan (I spoke with several of them). I always was treated well in Detroit and returned the favor. There was a fight down the 3B line towards LF, but I don't know if it was Tiger-fan-related. The only notable idiocy that I can attribute to Tiger fans was the moron who was sitting alone wearing a Tigers' cap near, I'm guessing, Sec. 101, Row 4-ish. Stood for every arguably pro-Tiger game moment. Stood when Maggs flied out to CF, waving "goodbye" as if he thought it was a sure homer. (He definitely had "Cub fan in disguise" potential.) Took a verbal beating from the crowd after that.

It's kinda hard to be an obnoxious fan when your team gets swept (Yanks, Cubs, and Red Cubs fans excluded).

Palehose13
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Were these Tiger fans "Frat Boys"?

I went to a Tiger/Sox game back in July of 2004. Aaron Rowand hit a game winning HR. We were in Chicago for a bachelor weeken and the Tigers just happened to be there so the 14 of us piled into a limo and got seats WAYYYY up beind the LF foul pole. I was the only Tiger fan in the group. We didn't see the HR because we didn't know our way out of there and wanted to catch the train before the crowd rushed in. On the way down the ramp we heard thr roar and fireworks. So you had 14 drunk guys at the little stand there by the train trying to figure out how to buy tickets. Lucily a guy was there to sort it out for us. We just told him we needed to get downtown.
I don't know what my point is. We just had a great time in Chicago.

Opposing fans should behave. I sat next to two Sox fans in Detroit and we had a great time. I showed him where Thome hit the Pepsi Porch sign when he was with Cleveland. He didn't believe me. People let this stuff get too personal.

The obnoxious ones at opposing venues have self esteem issues. If team A beats team B it doesn't mean the fans of A are better than the fans of B. especially in today's environment. It just meanst he guys who wear the shirts are better thant he guys who wear the other shirts. Chancess are those guys have no attachment to the city anyway. Where do they live int he off season.

What were you guys saying to Thome 5 years ago? What were Tiger fans saying to Maggs 5 years ago? Granderson grew up a Sox fan. One of the Chicago pitchers is from Michigan. Just enjoy baseball. I was born in Detroit so I'm a Tiger fan. If I were born in Chicago I'd definately be a Sox fan. We're the same.

I think the obnixous guy at the beginning of the thread is the same guy who would get after guys like Fielder every time they made an out. "Guy makes $7 million a year and can't get a hit!" They do that all game long. They are just bitter.

:worship: Excellent post.

batmanZoSo
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
The only time I've seen the Sox on the road was in Wrigley and I had no problems because I'm not an ass. The Sox won and whenever we scored or whatever I made my allegiance well-known and high fived the few Sox fans around me. But I didn't walk around talking trash or anything.

itsnotrequired
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
The only time I've seen the Sox on the road was in Wrigley and I had no problems because I'm not an ass. The Sox won and whenever we scored or whatever I made my allegiance well-known and high fived the few Sox fans around me. But I didn't walk around talking trash or anything.

*plays "Angry Chair" on guitar*