PDA

View Full Version : Juan Uribe; what do you think

southwstchi4life
08-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Before i say anything, I like cintron and think hes doing a great job. But I feel Uribe should be the starter. I think Uribe always comes up with clutch plays in alot of different ways. Weather it be a sac fly to score a run, a hit in the opposit direction to move a runner over, a big bunt or base hit. also many difficult clutch defensive plays with 2 out out in intense situations. I feel Ozzie does not like Uribe too much. and Cintron has been very good as well, but I believe Uribe should be the starter.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Before i say anything, I like cintron and think hes doing a great job. But I feel Uribe should be the starter. I think Uribe always comes up with clutch plays in alot of different ways. Weather it be a sac fly to score a run, a hit in the opposit direction to move a runner over, a big bunt or base hit. also many difficult clutch defensive plays with 2 out out in intense situations. I feel Ozzie does not like Uribe too much. and Cintron has been very good as well, but I believe Uribe should be the starter.

Uribe is the starter. Cintron was just playing while Uribe had a bad back.

Kittle42 should have a field day with this post...

Timmy D's
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree. I really felt bad for Juan when he dropped that pop up early last week. He had been under Ozzies microscope already after he was benched, and that just killed him upstairs in the mind I think. Bein off just recently for a while hopefully helped him. His play today, when he couldnt find the ears and opened the flood gates really messed him up to. Ya could see it on his face in the dugout, he was diein' inside. His hit helped his mind out I hope. I wish Ozzie wasnt so hard on him though. He'll be o.k., and play well for us down the stretch, but he needs some support from Ozz, and veryone else. Look how Ozzie stood behind BA, he needs to give Juan some confidence like that. I think there may be a little more to this relationship than we know. Ozzies ticked at Juan for somethin', maybe he hit on his wife or daughter or somethin', who knows, but it needs to stop.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I think it will be an interesting off season to see if Kenny Williams feels shortstop is a position of upgrade.

Given what's happened this season on the field and maybe off it with Uribe, he may feel he can improve the position.

We'll see.

Lip

shavo2k2
08-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm a very loyal fan. All I needed to love Mr. Juan Uribe was the last two outs of game 4 of the world series. He is an animal defensively, and he can be very dangerous with the bat. I would NEVER suggest getting rid of him in the near future. Do you guys recall that he was possibly our offensive MVP the year before the world series. Ya, I'm kinda pulling that out of my ass, but he had what seemed to be ridiculous power for his size, and i think he batted .300 or real close. In fact, he may be one of my favorite white sox players. I just feel like he is such a character and is the man.

He is kinda like an aaron rowand to me, I will love the guy forever for what he did for us. What we had last year was magical and he was a very important piece of the puzzle. He could be a .200 hitter and a mackowiak-esque fielder and i would still go to dinner with the man and shake his magical hands.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will fight anyone who does not love my boy Juany.

DumpJerry
08-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Kittle42 should have a field day with this post...
I was thinking the same thing. However, K42 might have a heart attack when he sees it.

Iguana775
08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I think it will be an interesting off season to see if Kenny Williams feels shortstop is a position of upgrade.

Given what's happened this season on the field and maybe off it with Uribe, he may feel he can improve the position.

We'll see.

Lip

Miguel Tejada anyone?

jabrch
08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
For now, it has to be Uribe. He offers us a better chance of winning than Cintron, and Cintron makes a great player off the bench. That said, if there is an opportunity to sign Crede to a long term deal and then convert Fields into a front line SS like Tejada or a front of the rotation starter, given that we might hit 3mm this year in attendence, I hope KW takes a crack at it.

slobes
08-12-2006, 11:09 PM
If we have the Uribe that played in the playoffs last year, I'd be just fine with that. I know it's way too optimistic to predict him diving into the seats making game-saving catches all the time, but last year he had a great arm, good glove, and decent bat. Right now he's just missing the good glove. If he can manage to improve on this during the off season, I don't see any reason why KW should give up that much in order to get a better shortstop.

cgaudin
08-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Miguel Tejada anyone?
I don't think Tejada will cut the mustard in the "type" of clubhouse the Sox want to foment. He's too much of an individual and would likely butt heads with some of the other Sox players. Uribe is solid defensively, but his bat is shaky. I'm not sure how they could make a change at SS in the near future. Uribe will have to do for this year and very likely next year, as well.

lukeman89
08-13-2006, 02:37 AM
although uribe failed to turn the DP today, he did the opposite of what he did before...he didn't take it with him to the plate. he came up the in the bottom half and hit a clutch double.

jenn2080
08-13-2006, 03:11 AM
i have noticed that when juan plays we lack double plays which was key today in detroit scoring. juan missing the ball last week in foul territory was unreal. i dont care if he hit a home run that game and a double yesterday his defense sucks.

ode to veeck
08-13-2006, 06:48 AM
I don't care what the bozos say, Juan is still a great defensive SS, in spite of a few bad plays. He can also hit a good breaking ball better than anyone else in the line up.

Madvora
08-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I would NEVER suggest getting rid of him in the near future. Oh come on. He's a .247 hitter. That's far from untouchable. It's one thing to have some characters you like on the team, but you can't sacrifice that for quality. There should a few options to improve that position in the off season. There would be no reason to pass up any good deal.
Rowand was as big a fan favorite as anybody and the Sox are way better off after that trade.

shavo2k2
08-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Oh come on. He's a .247 hitter. That's far from untouchable. It's one thing to have some characters you like on the team, but you can't sacrifice that for quality. There should a few options to improve that position in the off season. There would be no reason to pass up any good deal.
Rowand was as big a fan favorite as anybody and the Sox are way better off after that trade.

Ok, i agree with you somewhat. Let me just put it this way. I would prefer to have him over Cintron any day of the week. The only advantage i see in cintron is his left handed bat; And yes, juan can get somewhat annoying with swinging for the fense constantly.

Steelrod
08-13-2006, 10:06 AM

We'll see.

Lip
Trade him and Crede for ARod and bring up Fields!

soxyess
08-13-2006, 10:22 AM
I think you will see a new shortstop next year. I think that Uribe is way to undisciplined and inconsistent for Ozzie. Don't be surprised if you see KW make an off season play for Tejada. That being said, Uribe should start the rest of the way. His defense is valuable, and Cintron is needed off the bench.

Tragg
08-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I say we should play. He's better than Cintron and if we want an upgrade for next season, he will have a lot more value as the Sox starter than as the benched ex starter.

BainesHOF
08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Shortstop is a defensive position and Uribe is a tremendous defensive player. He makes plays that Jeter only dreams about. Magic Juan is most definitely a keeper.

wassagstdu
08-13-2006, 10:47 AM
I have been watching shortstops for a long time, and I think Uribe is the best since Aparicio -- at any given point in time. He has a long way to go in terms of durability and consistency, but in some ways he is perhaps a better shortstop than Aparicio. Nobody can go deep in the hole like Aparicio -- until Uribe. He has a great arm, quick feet, sure hands, and makes all of the plays. And, as we saw in WS game 4 he can respond well to pressure. On this Sox team (given the surplus of hitting) there is nobody in MLB that I would trade for Uribe. Not Tejada, not A-Rod, not Reyes.

Uribe has the tools, and we have seen him perform at the highest level. Unfortunately that is not all there is to being a great player, and time will tell whether Uribe has the rest. But I believe and hope that he will be the Sox shortstop for a long time.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-13-2006, 10:52 AM

Your sig is not a correct statement. That statement was made by Bruce Levine after the Sox clinched the ALCS.

Save McCuddy's
08-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Uribe is considerably better defensively as well as offensively than Cintron. Alex is a great asset off the bench and spot starting, but it's Juan from here on out.

hawkjt
08-13-2006, 11:19 AM
SS is the most important defensive position on the field and hence that is the first criteria for a starting ss. Juan has had lapses but overall he is still the better defender over Alex.
The tigers fans are ready to move Carlos Gullien to DH due to his inconsistent glove. And he is hitting .300. It is all about the glove at SS and Juan wins on that basis.

I think time off in the middle of the season almost always perks up players and I fully expect to see Juan have a good last 7 weeks.

Not go out and prove me right,juanie.

TomBradley72
08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Still like Uribe as the starter...but his game has slipped a notch from last year on defense...and his mental discipline seems to be slipping as well. I like the pressure that Ozzie is putting on him...we need him to be 100% focused and on his game for the next 6 weeks.

jabrch
08-13-2006, 03:33 PM
i have noticed that when juan plays we lack double plays which was key today in detroit scoring. juan missing the ball last week in foul territory was unreal. i dont care if he hit a home run that game and a double yesterday his defense sucks.

Are you kidding? He's not a GGer, but Uribe is right there in the second tier of AL SS defensively, and there are those who'd argue he is in the top tier.

To say his defense sucks is absolutely downright ridiculous.

hi im skot
08-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Your sig is not a correct statement. That statement was made by Bruce Levine after the Sox clinched the ALCS.

Thank you. That has been bugging me since I first saw it.

TheOldRoman
08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
If you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't speak. That statement is so dumb that it doesn't even deserve a response. BTW, how is the Vazquez hating going? Is he still a low-life or a piece of **** like you called him because he lost a couple games?:rolleyes:

gobears1987
08-13-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm not a fan of Uribe. I'm actually in favor of starting Cintron over him. I keep hearing the excuse for his average that he's a streaky hitter. He may be one, but it's the middle of August and he hasn't had a real streak. His defense has also really slipped this year. Uribe is the reason why this team seems to have a problem turning DPs that they didn't have last year. Oh, and let's not mention that near collission because Uribe was ignoring Anderson.

ohiosoxfan12
08-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm not a fan of Uribe. I'm actually in favor of starting Cintron over him. I keep hearing the excuse for his average that he's a streaky hitter. He may be one, but it's the middle of August and he hasn't had a real streak. His defense has also really slipped this year. Uribe is the reason why this team seems to have a problem turning DPs that they didn't have last year. Oh, and let's not mention that near collission because Uribe was ignoring Anderson.

I agree, i'm also leaning toward Cintron. It seems like Cintron always comes up in the clutch for the sox. I really think that he should get 3 or 4 games in per week, he hasn't quite proved to be an eveyday shortstop.

ChiSoxFan7
08-13-2006, 07:46 PM
that we can even have this agruement of a backup taking a starters job b/c he's ONLY batting .247 14 hr 54 rbis in the 8th hole w/ GREAT defense

WAY TO GO KW.

(http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=346874)

Jurr
08-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Juan Uribe can play the shortstop position as well as anyone. He has a cannon arm. He can hit, though his free swinging ways get him into a slump from time to time.

Everybody forgets how good this guy is in the field, and that's really sad.

Look back to last year. The big game that Crede hit the walk off? It was the turning point of the season. It doesn't happen if Uribe doesn't make a huge play an inning earlier. How about game 4 of the WS? How about tons of plays that he's made this year?

The guy runs into a hitting slump and carries it onto the field for a spell this year, and everybody overlooks him. Absolutely ridiculous.

This weekend, in a huge series, Juan again comes up with some really big hits. Cintron had a good series, too, but Juan's our guy. Don't look at a month of play to make a judgement about a player that's been a sparkplug since he came onto the team in 2004.

Juan's going to be big down the stretch. He's going to make some huge defensive plays, and he's going to be showing us those palms quite a bit.

southwstchi4life
08-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Its changed