PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Award World Series Ring to "The Commander"

TomBradley72
08-12-2006, 04:58 PM
White Sox gave Carlton Fisk a World Series ring today.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060812&content_id=1606112&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

hawkjt
08-12-2006, 05:43 PM
The Thawing of The Commander continues.

I like this move- Carlton is a HOF player who was with the sox for 13 years.
You dont hand them out like candy but he is deserving.

That coaching staff may have some help in spring training next year. Carlton enjoys ozzie,walk,harold and joey- that much is clear. He might just show up for some Arizona sun and help out for spring training. Jerry Reinsdorf is clearly is extending another olive branch to Carlton. Might as well tie up all these loose ends in this special two season period.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2006, 05:48 PM
The real Pudge was in the house today.

Soxfest
08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I think it great Fisk has really come around last 4 or 5 years!

LongLiveFisk
08-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Very cool....glad to see it.

By the way, did the Red Sox present him with a ring after they won it all? (Seems to me like they gave almost everyone a ring, so I'd be surprised if they didn't).

BeefyD
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Actually, he just had one of the winning numbers....

BadBobbyJenks
08-12-2006, 07:59 PM
wait what did fisk do in the playoffs last year?:?:

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 08:54 PM
The Sox handed out around 400 rings. When I visited Billy Pierce in May I saw his. Aparicio, Minoso, the Nellie Fox family and Fisk also were on the list to receive.

When I visited with Roland Hemond he had spent over a month traveling the country handing out rings to former players, and members of the organization (i.e. scouts...)

Lip

LuvSox
08-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Classy move by the White Sox. I luv them.

MrRoboto83
08-12-2006, 09:11 PM

By the way, did the Red Sox present him with a ring after they won it all? (Seems to me like they gave almost everyone a ring, so I'd be surprised if they didn't).

Yeah I to would like to know if the Red Sox gave him a ring??!!

Scottzilla
08-12-2006, 10:47 PM
is the bike he mentions the one the team got him? whatever bad blood there was it seems like the sox have done a lot to try to make up for it.

34rancher
08-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Actually, he just had one of the winning numbers....

I knew it was fixed. HAHA:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

34rancher
08-12-2006, 11:27 PM

Yes they did according to the Trib, but the way they check their facts, who knows? :D: (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060812soxbits,1,6755118.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

ode to veeck
08-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Nice, but what about that plane ticket home from Cleveland a few years back?!?

PKalltheway
08-13-2006, 12:33 AM
:thumbsup: That's nice to hear. Classy move by the White Sox.

Palehose Pete
08-13-2006, 06:55 PM
This is really cool. Nice going, Sox! I hope that Pudge decides to come back a coach for the Sox.

soxrme
08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah I to would like to know if the Red Sox gave him a ring??!!
yes his favorite team the red sox gave him one. I'm sure he wears it when he visits the hof

Fake Chet Lemon
08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Glad the organization did it. Now enough of kissing his arse, the ball is now in his court to play nice.

flo-B-flo
08-13-2006, 09:20 PM
If anyone deserved it it would be Fisk. To me he is a legend. When he tagged out two yankers on the same play that cinched it. A guy like this helps your franchise. Kiss his ass to death if you have to.

Steelrod
08-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Actually it was a plane ticket out of baseball. He was done as a player, if you recall!

Steelrod
08-14-2006, 04:29 AM
If anyone deserved it it would be Fisk. To me he is a legend. When he tagged out two yankers on the same play that cinched it. A guy like this helps your franchise. Kiss his ass to death if you have to.
I believe at least 25 guys deserved it more.
Ya think there's a reason he has not shown up in any of the 30 ML uniforms?

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Ya think there's a reason he has not shown up in any of the 30 ML uniforms?

Yes. He has said he doesn't want to coach right now because it's a time commitment he's not interested in. If he changes his mind, there'll be a uniform waiting for him, and probably a White Sox uniform.

HerzogVon
08-14-2006, 07:01 AM
When the All Star Game was last held at Comiskey - as it was still called then - Carlton gave a press conference in which he excoriated the local media for giving all their attention to the Cubs while virtually ignoring the Sox. I heard it, and I want to tell you that I had tears in my eyes. At last; a ball player who cares about the same thing the fans do!

Some years before, when he chose to put down roots and raise his family here, he didn't head straight to Northbrook, Deerfield or Lake Forest, as so many professional athletes do. Instead, he settled in far southern Lockport. Typical Fisk; ever contrary, the most cerebral of ball players and a pure class act.

IronFisk
08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Mmmm, VERY nice move!

That play was named the greatest "Web Gem" by ESPN - in front of Iguchi's insane levatating put out earlier this year, and Uribe's in-the-seats catch in game 4 of the WS. Of course, that doesn't take in account what brilliance Aparicio, Fox and other great Sox players of the past acheived before modern TV.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Iron:

In 1960 (I think) in a game against the Kansas City A's, Aparicio made a barehanded over the shoulder catch of a ball hit into meduim left field off the bat of Whitey Herzog.

The Sox left fielder was shaded towards left center and Luis was the only guy who even had a remote chance to grab it.

I have a picture of the catch in my files. It's one of the most amazing ones I've ever seen.

Lip

NoShoesJoe
08-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Iron:

In 1960 (I think) in a game against the Kansas City A's, Aparicio made a barehanded over the shoulder catch of a ball hit into meduim left field off the bat of Whitey Herzog.

The Sox left fielder was shaded towards left center and Luis was the only guy who even had a remote chance to grab it.

I have a picture of the catch in my files. It's one of the most amazing ones I've ever seen.

Lip

OK, let's see it!

What a great act for a fantastic person. I hear that Fisk still lives around here, New Lenox, I believe. His kids all went to local schools, too. Steve Dahl used to ride with him and Bo Jackson. Nothing would please me more than seeing Fisk in a White Sox uniform again! He remains one of my favorite players on and off the field. Charity-wise, he does a great deal with Homewood's Jennifer S. Fallick Cancer Support Center.

Soxfanspcu11
08-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I like Fisk, and I am glad he got a ring, but I think the ass-kissing needs to stop now.

I know that the Sox are trying to make things right with him, especially the way he was treated, but I also believe that the Sox have done MORE than enough to make amends.

I mean, how many people have their own statue at the park? That should have been enough right there.

IMHO, if Fisk got a ring, then other past Sox greats should have gotten one as well. Did Ventura get a ring? McDowell? OneDog? If anything, all of the players from the 1994 team should get a ring as well, considering most believe that they would have won that year.

Steelrod
08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Yes. He has said he doesn't want to coach right now because it's a time commitment he's not interested in. If he changes his mind, there'll be a uniform waiting for him, and probably a White Sox uniform.
Just because a player was one of the greats, It doesn't necessarily translate that he'd be a good coach or communicator.

MUsoxfan
08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
I mean, how many people have their own statue at the park? That should have been enough right there.

IMHO, if Fisk got a ring, then other past Sox greats should have gotten one as well. Did Ventura get a ring? McDowell? OneDog? If anything, all of the players from the 1994 team should get a ring as well, considering most believe that they would have won that year.
Former Sox greats did also get rings. 8 numbers are retired by the Sox and Pudge is one of those 8. As far as I know, they or a living family member of theirs all recieved rings.

ZombieRob
08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
yes his favorite team the red sox gave him one. I'm sure he wears it when he visits the hof

Probably the only thing that irks me about him,that he went into the "Hall" has a Red Sox ,when he had his best and most years with us .But overall ,im glad he got a ring .he definity deserves it.

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Just because a player was one of the greats, It doesn't necessarily translate that he'd be a good coach or communicator.

I understand that. I was just passing along a quote I heard from him.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Zombie:

Check out This Date In Sox History 8-4

August 4, 2000 - Carlton Fisk is inducted into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. Even though Fisk played more games and for more years with the White Sox, he goes in wearing the colors of the Red Sox. Fisk explains to the Chicago media, that his choice in no way reflected any animosity towards White Sox fans but was based in part on his treatment by the organization and ownership.

As stated because I visited his home in May, Billy Pierce got one, so did Minnie, Aparicio and the family of Nellie Fox, along with Fisk. Those are the only former players that I know of although some others who work in the community relations department like Bill Melton, Carlos May and Moose Skowron may have gotten them as well.

Lip

NoShoesJoe
08-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I love Fisk, even when I see this replay.

http://www.morningsun.net/images/011100/fisk.jpg

ChiSoxRowand
08-15-2006, 01:27 AM
wait what did fisk do in the playoffs last year?:?:

Nothing. This makes no sense, but then again neither does giving rings to fans.

Chicago
08-15-2006, 01:36 AM

Where there any snakes on that plane??? :?: