PDA

View Full Version : Crazy old Lou

southwstchi4life
08-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Lou Panella as a broadcaster, what can I say, but I kinda like the old guy. He really is very knowledgable about baseball. Even though he sounds like a total drunk with his mumbling, I really like his insight and honesty of what really happens. Just wanted to see others views on Lou

tstrike2000
08-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah, he does mumble a little bit and called McDougal McDonald, but he is very knowledgable. Plus, he doesn't make horribly obvious remarks like Tim McCarver.

Kub_Killer_15
08-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I thought he did a good job today. He took his knowledge of being a manager and predicted alot that was going to happen like the squeeze play he saw that coming a mile away. Its nice having a FOX broadcaster knowing what baseball is all about.

MrRoboto83
08-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree, you can tell Lou knows his ****. He really sees everything that is going on. I like how he mentions what the managers may try to do.

digdagdug23
08-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't mind Lou, he usually is pretty insightful, and doesn't seem too biased towards anyone.

It's just his voice I can't take. He sounds like a person who has swallowed something whole and can't get it down his throat, but won't stop talking long enough to digest.

TornLabrum
08-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I thought it was great when he called the squeeze. Leyland and Ozzie were both thinking the exact same thing.

Brian26
08-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I was watching the closed captioned commentary while eating lunch at Mity Nice. Did Lou at one point say that Leyland won a World Championshhip with Rodriguez in Florida? That was completely wrong, unless I misread it. IRod was in Texas in '97, and of course in '03 Jack McKeon was the manager when IRod was with Florida.

Jjav829
08-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Lou Panella as a broadcaster, what can I say, but I kinda like the old guy. He really is very knowledgable about baseball. Even though he sounds like a total drunk with his mumbling, I really like his insight and honesty of what really happens. Just wanted to see others views on Lou

I love Lou Panella...

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Lou certainly sounded good today. It was great to hear major props for our division, as well as our run last year.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I thought he did a good job today. He took his knowledge of being a manager and predicted alot that was going to happen like the squeeze play he saw that coming a mile away. Its nice having a FOX broadcaster knowing what baseball is all about.

If two experienced managers saw it coming a mile away, then perhaps it just wasn't the best call. Live and learn.

areilly
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I was watching the closed captioned commentary while eating lunch at Mity Nice. Did Lou at one point say that Leyland won a World Championshhip with Rodriguez in Florida? That was completely wrong, unless I misread it. IRod was in Texas in '97, and of course in '03 Jack McKeon was the manager when IRod was with Florida.

Might've misread it - I think the only reference he made to Ivan's Texas days was when he talked about Kenny Rogers' perfect game (Rodriguez was his batterymate that day as well).

SOXSINCE'70
08-12-2006, 06:23 PM
I thought it was great when he called the squeeze. Leyland and Ozzie were both thinking the exact same thing.

It worked for Leyland.Ozzie lost that battle.
But he still defeated his former third base coach,
and that's a good thing.:cool: :cool:

IA_soxfan
08-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I think Lou sounded great today. If it weren't for that stiff they had doing the PBP it would've been even better. It seemed like everytime Panella would say something insightful the other guy (whose name isn't worth remembering, IMO) would just sit in silence.

DSpivack
08-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Ah, I heard that and didn't even realize the mistake until you mentioned it. No one's perfect. Who was the manager that got fired early that year? Jeff Torborg?

rookie
08-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah, he does mumble a little bit and called McDougal McDonald, but he is very knowledgable. Plus, he doesn't make horribly obvious remarks like Tim McCarver.

I heard both of these too, but since no one else caught them, I thought maybe I was hearing things. Glad to know I'm not going crazy.

tick53
08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
:hawk

Hawk Says:
"Sweet Lou always gets a
carmine derrier"

I like Lou but he talks like he has a built in "pause" button.
He starts to say something,stops and then finishes his
statement a few minutes later.

Vernam
08-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Lou lost a bit of cred when he claimed Pods can play all three OF positions. But I agree Piniella is an upgrade over McCarver. Then again, who isn't?

Vernam

TornLabrum
08-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Lou lost a bit of cred when he claimed Pods can play all three OF positions. But I agree Piniella is an upgrade over McCarver. Then again, who isn't?

Vernam

Chris Singleton.

southwstchi4life
08-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Chris Singleton.

You took the words right out my mouth. I don't even know whats going on when singleton is announcing. Is hard for me, who do I hate worse Berman or Singleton announcing.

Huisj
08-13-2006, 12:57 AM
He's kind of a mix of good insight and nonsense. He mixes up names and facts quite a lot, but he does sometimes show that he's getting better at being an analyst when he talks about strategy that might happen.

He's definitely gotten better since the playoffs last year. He was pretty bad then at stating the obvious things that were happening, and he also kept talking about "we" (as in "we got a kid like that in Tampa Bay") even though he was no longer managing.

slobes
08-13-2006, 01:00 AM
You took the words right out my mouth. I don't even know whats going on when singleton is announcing. Is hard for me, who do I hate worse Berman or Singleton announcing.

I'll take Singleton any day. At least he's a (White) Sox fan. Berman is my single-most despised baseball announcer.

Scottzilla
08-13-2006, 01:01 AM
didnt get to see the game today out here but i heard lou before mighta been the playoffs last year and thought he was pretty good. talks baseball and doesnt dumb like everyone watching never saw a baseball game before like maccarver.

doctorlecter
08-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Lou adds a great deal to the broadcast by simply not trying to dominate it. He realizes that people don't tune in to listen to him babble, and keeps his comments brief and insightful. I couldn't care less about his delivery. I'd take a knowledgeable, respectful announcer with a severe speech impediment over the smooth-talking tripe that Fox and ESPN shove down our collective throat. I'm not sure who hired Lou over at Fox, but I'm sure that they fired the guy, because he doesn't follow the company credo of loving the sound of his own voice.

Viva Medias B's
08-13-2006, 09:14 AM

"Who you crappin'?" Thursdays at 5 on the Score.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Chris Singleton.

Is it time to declare the Farmer/Singleton pairing a failure yet??:?:

MrRoboto83
08-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I'll take Singleton any day. At least he's a (White) Sox fan. Berman is my single-most despised baseball announcer.

I agree, Singleton is at least on our side.

PAPChiSox729
08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Is it time to declare the Farmer/Singleton pairing a failure yet??:?:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

:?:

:D:

I love Singleton.

Sox-o-matic
08-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I've only heard him on a couple Fox broadcasts this year and the postseason last year, but he already sounds much improved. Everyone knows the guy is a great manager so I hope he sticks around up there. I just hope he doesn't find himself anywhere near the Cubs next year. Hopefuly, he's smarter than that.

Greg1983
08-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I may be old-fashioned, but I like the fact that Lou is nearly always complimentary...of both teams. I think of him as acting the part of a refined southern gentleman. Even his long pauses seem to fit that type.

I can't believe I actually just used the words "refined southern gentleman" to describe Lou Pinella, given his history of on-field antics. But, I suspect managing a big-league club will make anyone a little crazy.

I'm not quite the Joe Buck hater some others around here are, but I will never forgive his smarmy, condescending tone after Game 2 of the ALCS. "Harris scores...the White Sox have won..." with disgust and derision dripping from every word. If that play happened today and Lou were doing the color, he would have focused on what a great heads' up play AJ made by running to first, and how Crede delivered a great clutch hit. Positive. I like that.

I'll also never forget him yesterday describing Jenks' breaking ball by saying "Now that's not fair." I laughed out loud.

I'd much rather he keep announcing than managing.

hi im skot
08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I may be old-fashioned, but I like the fact that Lou is nearly always complimentary...of both teams. I think of him as acting the part of a refined southern gentleman. Even his long pauses seem to fit that type.

I can't believe I actually just used the words "refined southern gentleman" to describe Lou Pinella, given his history of on-field antics. But, I suspect managing a big-league club will make anyone a little crazy.

I'm not quite the Joe Buck hater some others around here are, but I will never forgive his smarmy, condescending tone after Game 2 of the ALCS. "Harris scores...the White Sox have won..." with disgust and derision dripping from every word. If that play happened today and Lou were doing the color, he would have focused on what a great heads' up play AJ made by running to first, and how Crede delivered a great clutch hit. Positive. I like that.

I'll also never forget him yesterday describing Jenks' breaking ball by saying "Now that's not fair." I laughed out loud.

I'd much rather he keep announcing than managing.

It was Ozuna.
:smile:

:duck:

And yes, Lou is doing a solid job and Joe Buck is awful.