PDA

View Full Version : Question about relief pitchers.

JimmyJoe
08-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I figured that someone on WSI would know this.

When a reliever enters a game, how many pitches is he allowed to take for his warm-up on the mound?

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I figured that someone on WSI would know this.

When a reliever enters a game, how many pitches is he allowed to take for his warm-up on the mound?Pitchers can take 10 warmup pitchers at the beginning of an inning and/or when they come into the game in the middle of an inning.

JimmyJoe
08-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks! I knew someone would know this.

Mohoney
08-12-2006, 04:08 PM
What No. 2 said, except if a pitcher is replacing an injured pitcher. Then he gets as much time as he needs.

TDog
08-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I haven't looked at the rule book in awhile, but 8.03 used to state 8 pitches within 1 minute. I never saw it enforced.

SouthSideSoxFan
08-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Pitchers can take 10 warmup pitchers at the beginning of an inning and/or when they come into the game in the middle of an inning.
Actually, the correct answer is eight.

From the Official Baseball Rules section on the pitcher (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/pitcher_8.jsp):8.03
When a pitcher takes his position at the beginning of each inning, or when he relieves another pitcher, he shall be permitted to pitch not to exceed eight preparatory pitches to his catcher during which play shall be suspended. A league by its own action may limit the number of preparatory pitches to less than eight preparatory pitches. Such preparatory pitches shall not consume more than one minute of time. If a sudden emergency causes a pitcher to be summoned into the game without any opportunity to warm up, the umpire-in-chief shall allow him as many pitches as the umpire deems necessary.