Edit: Doh! We tied! :o:

Timmy D's
08-12-2006, 03:53 PM
WE DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

hi im skot
08-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Beeeeeeeeautiful!

Glad to see the guys pick up Mark after his solid start.

PicktoCLick72
08-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Mark pitched well enough to win. Glad to see the Sox make Detroit pay for their mistakes. Hopefully Big Game Freddy steps up tomorrow.

CubsfansareDRUNK
w00t

gbergman
Good start by Mark. We are back in this thing

whitesoxfan
Very nice win. The offense was there when we needed them most. BA's 2 out hit was a thing of beauty. Nice to see us taking advantage of other team's mistakes. Very reminiscent of last year.

By the way, the Tiggers defense is flat out awful. It seems like every time I see a box score, they have committed 2 or more errors a game. Good teams make you pay for bad defense. That's another reason I don't think Detroit is going to go far if they make the playoffs.

hi im skot
08-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Good start by Mark. We are back in this thing

Update that signature!

cgaudin
Pull out the Brooms, boys and girls!

cheeses_h_rice
THE TIGERS? **** THOSE GUYS.

:gulp:

MrX
08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Good to see BA with that clutch hit, the bottom of the line-up was huge in getting the game tied up.

Nice game by Mark and the bullpen

infohawk
08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
That was an awesome win. They gritted that one out. The pitching is starting to look better.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Solid pitching + good defense >>> solid pitching + crappy defense

FielderJones
6.5 games out and SHrinkiing.
The Tigers have a growing problem. :tongue:

:winner

I haven't seen Tiger23 and Oblong in a while. :neener:

flo-B-flo
Tough luck for the gambler. And tough ****. The Sox need the wins.

batmanZoSo
Another fantastic game. Man are they looking like the World Champs again or what? Every possible opportunity was pounced upon. Good job by Buehrle, great job by Ozzie to get him out on a positive note. Fabulous job by the pen. Again, no complaints, just winning ****ing baseball baby.

Look out AL. The White Sox are a comin'.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/tigersdead.jpg
Ain't no need to hide
Ain't no need to run
'Cause I got you in the sights
Of my
Gun

kaufsox
08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
series is won, a sweep tomorrow and Detroit leaves town with a much tighter collar. A good weekend, let's make it great!!!

1951Campbell
08-12-2006, 04:00 PM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/pwned-48495.jpg

illini81887
08-12-2006, 04:01 PM
going for the sweep tomorrow yessssssss

Mickster
I'm starting to get excited. Garland is pitching great. Vazquez has impressed me with his last 2 starts. Contreras' last outing was a thing of beauty. Buehrle has certainly improved in his last 2 starts (7K's through 4 innings today??? ***?).

Freddy, are you listening?????

batmanZoSo
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/pwned-48495.jpg

:rolling:

cgaudin
08-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I am shocked to the point of disbelief That Brian Anderson got a hit, let alone a CLUTCH hit. I'll lay off him for a couple of days. He deserves that much.

ZombieRob
Pinella said it himself more or less..Sox have a fierce bullpen.How would you like to have to face that 3 headed monster?

SoxWillWin
The Tigers have a growing problem. :tongue:

prostate???

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 04:04 PM
I am shocked to the point of disbelief That Brian Anderson got a hit, let alone a CLUTCH hit. I'll lay off him for a couple of days. He deserves that much.

That above anything else is a sign that times are changing. Brian Anderson gets the winning knock off Kenny Rogers. Very nice to see. :nod:

MarySwiss
08-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Just wandered over to the Tiggers board. Their mods are fairly busy, but they just don't seem to have the flair that OUR mods do.

Maybe I'm just an old softy, but something about reading "I ****ing
hate the White Sox" touches a chord deep inside me. :smile:

thomas35forever
That above anything else is a sign that times are changing. Brian Anderson gets the winning knock off Kenny Rogers. Very nice to see. :nod:
Don't forget the sac fly by Sandy.:smile:

Grzegorz
Bad news I missed most of the game because of a blown transformer. The good news is that I picked up the game in the ninth.

Nice to see Buehrle hang tough and I love it when BA comes through; this kid is improving.

I hope he continues to get the bulk of the playing time in center field.

Oh, the Tigers with three errors? As I've been taught, errors are a sign of being tight. The Tigers are feeling it; so lets hammer them tomorrow and be done with them (for the moment, only for the moment).

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 04:06 PM
"I ****ing hate the White Sox"
That...is beautiful. :wink:

hawkjt
08-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Christmas in August- thanks tigers. Brian's hit has to be considered for top ten biggest hits of the year so far. Lately he has not looked scared to get a big two out hit , or get hit in the arm, late in games.

The pyschological diff between 5.5 and 7.5 is huge. Today was the biggest game of the year- now tomorrow is. Let BA patrol center field for Freddies sake tomorrow , Oz, Miner is not overpowering I would think BA has a chance at the plate with some newfound confidence.
Mark was very impressive today- I thought his stuff had more crispness than the last month. Thought that Fox dwelled on the double play ball too long. He couldnt find the ears- it happens. But the important thing is how Burls threw the ball. I am greatly encouraged.

Keep it rolling ,boys.

Sargeant79
08-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Anyone else think the pitch-out play that got Crede out was a balk on Ivan Rodriguez? IIRC, the catcher isn't allowed to leave his box until the throw leaves the pitcher's hand, and Pudge was already outside the left-hander's batter's box when the pitch left Rogers' hand.

cheezheadsoxfan

Thank you! I like BA a lot but was a little surprised myself. Kinda thing he needs.

GO SOX, LET"S SWEEP!:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

TornLabrum
Just wandered over to the Tiggers board. Their mods are fairly busy, but they just don't seem to have the flair that OUR mods do.

Yeah, that kind of thing warms the cockles of my heart, too.

Looks like the Tigers' collars are starting to get just a little bit tight.

Kub_Killer_15
Looking like a late season choke for Detriot. You can't give up 4 unearned runs in a big game like that!

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1240/492629472uq5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"Ozzie what do you think about the tigers lost today"
"I think they are choking like this"

digdagdug23
08-12-2006, 04:11 PM

The warm fuzzies just keep on a comin'. :redneck

I am shocked to the point of disbelief That Brian Anderson got a hit, let alone a CLUTCH hit.

Oh yee of little faith.......You should be ashamed of yourself. Me and Illini, we have been predicting this for a lil bit now, when are you going to listen? :wink:

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Bad news I missed most of the game because of a blown transformer. The good news is that I picked up the game in the ninth.

Nice to see Buehrle hang tough and I love it when BA comes through; this kid is improving.

I hope he continues to get the bulk of the playing time in center field.

Oh, the Tigers with three errors? As I've been taught, errors are a sign of being tight. The Tigers are feeling it; so lets hammer them tomorrow and be done with them (for the moment, only for the moment).They know perfectly well that they deserved to lose 2 out of 3 last weekend against the Indians. They dropped 2 of 3 against the Twinks, and they've now lost the first two in Chicago. Tight? I'll bet you couldn't pull a pin out of their rectums with a tractor. Whip their asses again tomorrow and send them reeling to Boston.

BTW, did anyone notice the winning percentages against above .500 teams they showed on Fox? The Sox are #1, winning more than 60% of their games.

dagotony06
08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
This is what I am talking about. Mark went out and fed off of what Jose did yesterday, and was the best I have seen him in awhile. He was working the corners and was effective up and down in the zone. If the double play would have been turned, he would have gotten the win. But the most important thing is the team won, and this just puts more doubt into the minds of the Tigers. They gave us a couple of extra outs and we made them pay. Tomorrow we are looking for he sweep and we have a big game pitcher going for us in Freddy. So here't to you Freddy:gulp: let's get within 5.5 tomorrow, and send these Tigers to Boston in a bit of a tail spin.:supernana:

lakeviewsoxfan
08-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Just have this feeling we are gonna see Mack in CF tomorrow.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Gives me a warm glow all over!! :neener:

thomas35forever
08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Say it ain't so!

ilsox7
08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Anyone else think the pitch-out play that got Crede out was a balk on Ivan Rodriguez? IIRC, the catcher isn't allowed to leave his box until the throw leaves the pitcher's hand, and Pudge was already outside the left-hander's batter's box when the pitch left Rogers' hand.

While it is a rule, I've never seen it called. Ever.

MrX
08-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Ozzie likes to reward guys who do well, I think we will still see BA out there.

Mohoney
08-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Today's game was winnable in large part to the awesome outing by Contreras. If Jose only went 7 yesterday, MacDougal and Thornton definitely would have gotten work, and possibly Jenks, too. Plus, Ozzie might have tried to squeeze an extra inning out of Buehrle.

It was nice to see Ozzie cut right through the old crap cake and go with MacDougal, Thornton, and Jenks in the 7th, 8th, and 9th. In a game of this magnitude, you don't play that Neal Cotts matchup game with the score tied.

cgaudin
08-12-2006, 04:19 PM
The warm fuzzies just keep on a comin'. :redneck

Oh yee of little faith.......You should be ashamed of yourself. Me and Illini, we have been predicting this for a lil bit now, when are you going to listen? :wink:

:anon: I know. I am ashamed. I hope BA keeps making me look stupid.

Mohoney
08-12-2006, 04:20 PM

If Ozzie wants to get Mack in there tomorrow, he should put him at either 3B or RF to spell one of the guys that really NEEDS a day off.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 04:21 PM
They know perfectly well that they deserved to lose 2 out of 3 last weekend against the Indians. They dropped 2 of 3 against the Twinks, and they've now lost the first two in Chicago. Tight? I'll bet you couldn't pull a pin out of their rectums with a tractor. Whip their asses again tomorrow and send them reeling to Boston.

BTW, did anyone notice the winning percentages against above .500 teams they showed on Fox? The Sox are #1, winning more than 60% of their games.

Yeah, that's a nice stat. But we can see that it doesn't matter much. We were the Tigers last year almost to a tee. There are a lot more bad teams than great teams. It pays to beat up on the beatupabble.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 04:22 PM

I'd be surprised. That would not be a good move and Ozzie's been making a lot of good ones recently.

A. Cavatica
08-12-2006, 04:23 PM

I hope so. And Gload at first.

ilsox7
08-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, that's a nice stat. But we can see that it doesn't matter much. We were the Tigers last year almost to a tee. There are a lot more bad teams than great teams. It pays to beat up on the beatupabble.

While there are some similarities between the Tigers this year and us last year, there is one MAJOR difference. Post-ASB this year, the Tigers have an ERA about 1 full run higher than they did in the first half. We were nothing like that last year.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 04:27 PM
While there are some similarities between the Tigers this year and us last year, there is one MAJOR difference. Post-ASB this year, the Tigers have an ERA about 1 full run higher than they did in the first half. We were nothing like that last year.

Our problem is we couldn't hit. At all. Pods going down really hurt that lineup.

Bucky F. Dent
08-12-2006, 04:29 PM
We've got to show some steel and SWEEP these bums!

MrRoboto83
08-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Nice to see the Tigers struggle. Lets hope we sweep tomorrow and they become Texas Toast next week.

TornLabrum
08-12-2006, 04:35 PM
While it is a rule, I've never seen it called. Ever.

I heard about it being called sometime in the last few years on an intentional walk of all things.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Tight? I'll bet you couldn't pull a pin out of their rectums with a tractor.

:kneeslap:

Chisox003
08-12-2006, 04:48 PM
The old foot to the throat is in effect now. All we have do to is apply some pressure and the Kitties will break in two. We MUST go for the kill tomorrow.

:moonwalk:

Dan H
08-12-2006, 04:49 PM
A nice one-run win. That is what championship teams do. At first, I thought the Sox just had to sweep this series. Now I don't think so even though tomorrow is another two-game swing. Let's hope Garcia doesn't hang some more breaking pitches.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Just got back from the game. The atmosphere there was awesome, it was almost a playoff-type atmosphere.

I have full confidence that we will sweep tommorow.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 04:56 PM
A nice one-run win. That is what championship teams do. At first, I thought the Sox just had to sweep this series. Now I don't think so even though tomorrow is another two-game swing. Let's hope Garcia doesn't hang some more breaking pitches.

I agree. What's most encouraging is the level of play we're seeing. If they keep playing like this, everyone's in trouble. If the Tigers manage to pull one out despite that tomorrow, kudos to them.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2006, 04:58 PM
It looks like Brian Anderson's starting to get some confidence now, and that couldn't come at a better time. Buehrle's been better the past few outings; but, I'd like to see him get a WIN next time around.

I'm feeling good about Garcia tomorrow against Miner, especially with the way this offense is clicking (getting timely hitts).

Don't stop believing!
Hold onto that feeling.

Martinigirl
08-12-2006, 05:00 PM

I was so happy, why did you need to bring me down like that?

Please, let's have all of our starters in tomorrow, no Mack in Center or Ozuna in Left. Please....

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Please, let's have all of our starters in tomorrow, no Mack in Center or Ozuna in Left. Please....

No worries there! Ozzie and co. are back "with it" now. Ozzie will not become like Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel. I have confidence that he wants the sweep as badly as we do.

monkeypants
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I like the MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks set up in the 'pen. I like it a lot. I like it even more when they follow a soft tosser like Buehrle.
Thank you Coop and Kenny.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 05:05 PM
It looks like Brian Anderson's starting to get some confidence now, and that couldn't come at a better time. Buehrle's been better the past few outings; but, I'd like to see him get a WIN next time around.

I'm feeling good about Garcia tomorrow against Miner, especially with the way this offense is clicking (getting timely hitts).

Don't stop believing!
Hold onto that feeling.

Today was step 1 with Buehrle. Good move by Ozzie. He should have some confidence now and be set to get that W 5 days from now.

Jjav829
08-12-2006, 05:09 PM
HUGE win! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Let's sweep the Tigers tomorrow and show them we're not backing down without a fight! We need big game Freddy to be big tomorrow.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I'll add that it was great seeing Uribe pick himself up after not being able to turn that double play by getting a huge hit in the bottom of the same inning, as well as turning a 6-3 double play later on in the game.

TomBradley72
08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Could we be headed into the "big rhythm" period Hawk talked about earlier in the year?

(..."Y'know DJ....sometimes teams just seem to get in a rhythm...kind of like what the White Sox seem to be gettiing in right now. 1st your offense gets into a rhythm. Then your defense gets into a rhythm. And then finally your pitching....your pitching gets into a rhythm. And you know what you have? One.....big.....rhythm." )

The offense has been clicking for the past month, defense is coming on, and Contreras, Garland, Vazquez and Buehrle have been coming around. Freddy Garcia will be the final part of the rhythm Sunday afternoon.

Now that the White Sox are entering a period of playing the Tigers and Twins over the next few weeks...I think Ozzie will play line ups built for tight, 1-run games...so BA will be getting the nod..with Mac getting a start two against KC to give BA a rest during this stretch.

kwolf68
08-12-2006, 05:29 PM
They're (Detroit) gonna break soon

yea baby....sweet....we're down to 6.5

voodoochile
08-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Didn't get to see any of the game. As usual, Fox fed us Yankees game. I mean who wants to see the two best teams in baseball in a huge divisional game when you can see the Yankees?:rolleyes:

Oh well, it doesn't matter...

:winner

:):supernana:

Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
The sun shine in...

:)

ZombieRob
08-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Have the Sox faced Minor this year? i dont recall.And if they did how did they do against him?

cbone
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Just got back from the game as well. Lots of Tiger fans in my section. You heard a little yea when they put up their 3 spot but overall they were very quiet. I wonder why?

Keep up the pressure and intensity and sweep em tomorrow!!!!:bandance: :gulp:

kwolf68
08-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm telling you

It is going to happen...pass it along to your friends in Motown.

This party will be 2.5 or < by 9/1 .... :bandance:

Frontman
08-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I loved the fact that Mark was on fire early. DAMN did he (and us as Sox fans) need that. So he got worked a bit over in the 5th, came back in the 6th and had his team back him up. Say what you will about Farmer/Singelton as an announce team, but listening to them call todays game was thrilling Sox baseball. Mark is my son's favorite Sox player, and my cell phone was ringing crazily with the question, "Is Tony (my son) watching the game?!?! Go MARK!" through the first 4 innings.

I liked to see that we capitalized on the errors the Tiggers gave up. We played small ball (but I hope to hell Ozzie and co. change the signs. Watching some of the game via VCR after work, they clearly have our steal sign. They KNEW Crede was coming home even before Rogers threw) and up and down the line up, everyone was playing hard, smart baseball.

Let's get the sweep tomorrow, and then focus on winning the 4 game series from the Royals.

Front

OzzyTrain
08-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Got back from todays game, wow amazing, the atmosphere is insane. Going tomorrow as well

ZombieRob
08-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Leyland now making excuses alot like Dave Duncan.Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Justin Verlander tipped his pitches Friday, when he had his worst start of the season. Why is it when i pitcher does well against a team they just have our number ? But when a team has a pitchers number ,they are tipping pitches? the whole absurd artick is in sox notes at chicagosports.com under Sox notes

kwolf68
08-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Leyland now making excuses

LOSERS make excuses. If Leyland is going to start playing this card then the World Champions will go into his house while he is watching and take his cookies from him.

Only winners can beat this Sox team and if Leyland (oh ye' of barely .500 record all time before this year, though being called the managing Messiah) wants to try this excuse out its only because he knows the inevitable that is going to happen to his hapless tribe.

Lets go eat their dinner.

Heffalump
08-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Great game today!!.....Solid pitching by Buehrle (he shoulda been out of that inning before Casey)...Good job by Ozzie using his bullpen.........and most importantly...CLUTCH hitting!!

Nice weather too.......We were down the first base line. 9-2 so far this year.

Now, none of this 2 out of 3 BS.....lets go for the SWEEP! ! ! ! !

slobes
08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I didn't get to see any of this game because I had to do this thing at school, but it sounds like it went GREAT. Glad to see Mark pick up a quality start.

6.5 baby!!

1951Campbell
08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I would just like to report that I had fried chicken for dinner in honor of the Sox smacking the Roaster around...

:D:

kwolf68
08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I would just like to report that I had fried chicken for dinner in honor of the Sox smacking the Roaster around...

:D:

Well I had some hot wings and the chocolate and wine....hey, bite me all...im married and I live near wine country. But the Sox are never far from my mind.

hawkjt
08-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I am going out on the limb and say that we are a cool weather team. We played great early in the season but hit the doldrums in July when the heat was really baking us. I was thinking about that when we were playing in the elements while the twins were in 72 degree comfort in the dome.

We really look sharp this weekend and I really think the cooler weather helps the older starters like ours and Rogers.

The tigers go to boston, then host texas and the sox, then go to cleveland and NY- with only one day off to the end of the month. then they entertain the Angels for four to start sept.

We have a chance to catch them by mid-sept. -win tomorrow , sox. I beseech you.

TheDarkGundam
08-12-2006, 06:36 PM
I just got back (traffic suuuucked), FANTASTIC game.
Not only did I see a White Sox winner, it was my first game in the 300 club level. I can't believe I usually see games from the upper deck with the...commoners.
When they were announcing the starting lineups, they made a little camera sound effect for Kenny Rogers. Made me giggle.
6.5 games, I am soooo pumped.

SOXSINCE'70
08-12-2006, 06:40 PM
To paraphrase the late Harry Caray:

"The White Sox are coming,tra-la,tra-la".:D:

sox_fan_forever
08-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I was at the game today and it was great. The crowd was really into it the whole time. We wanted this win badly and we got it!

:supernana:

Frontman
08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I was at the game today and it was great. The crowd was really into it the whole time. We wanted this win badly and we got it!

:supernana:

The fans in attendance rocked! The crowd sound on TV and the radio was intense, and I loved hearing you guys go crazy for Mark. That was awesome!

I so can't wait for Wednesday. First game of the season for me and my wife! BOOYAH!!!!

Front

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I am going out on the limb and say that we are a cool weather team. We played great early in the season but hit the doldrums in July when the heat was really baking us. I was thinking about that when we were playing in the elements while the twins were in 72 degree comfort in the dome.

We really look sharp this weekend and I really think the cooler weather helps the older starters like ours and Rogers.

The tigers go to boston, then host texas and the sox, then go to cleveland and NY- with only one day off to the end of the month. then they entertain the Angels for four to start sept.

We have a chance to catch them by mid-sept. -win tomorrow , sox. I beseech you.

You're probably right. If you think about it, the Sox have been that way for most of the last decade. We probably have a fantastic April record in the 2000s, but a terrible July record. I'd like to see some numbers on that.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 06:51 PM
You're probably right. If you think about it, the Sox have been that way for most of the last decade. We probably have a fantastic April record in the 2000s, but a terrible July record. I'd like to see some numbers on that.June has historically been the Sox' best month.

tebman
08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I was there today, and man! Whadda game! Great win, and great to see these guys doing the things they did so well last year.

Can somebody fill me in on the botched squeeze? I know the Tigers called a pitchout, but it seems to me Uribe didn't try hard enough to get his bat on the ball. Without the benefit of replay I don't know how hard he tried, but no matter where the ball is thrown you've got to get the bat on the ball in a suicide squeeze! I was muttering imprecations about Uribe for the rest of the game because he didn't bunt the ball.

But that's academic now. The Sox won when they had to, and life is good! :gulp:

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 07:05 PM
June has historically been the Sox' best month.

Yeah, that's probably right. April and June, fairly temperate months.

Ol' No. 2
I was there today, and man! Whadda game! Great win, and great to see these guys doing the things they did so well last year.

Can somebody fill me in on the botched squeeze? I know the Tigers called a pitchout, but it seems to me Uribe didn't try hard enough to get his bat on the ball. Without the benefit of replay I don't know how hard he tried, but no matter where the ball is thrown you've got to get the bat on the ball in a suicide squeeze! I was muttering imprecations about Uribe for the rest of the game because he didn't bunt the ball.

But that's academic now. The Sox won when they had to, and life is good! :gulp:The ball was outside the LH batters' box. No chance.

Cellview22
HUGE WIN TODAY! :bandance:

Took the El to USCF after the game had started, got there in the 5th inning and bought a ticket from some guy selling tix at 35th/Shields for only $10 for a lower level ticket (since it was the top of the 5th). Got in just in time to see the Sox tie it up. Best $10 I've spent! Great atmosphere at the game today, especially walking down the ramps after the game. BTW, what was going on in left field (around section 155 or behind the bullpen)? Looked like a lot of fights w/ Tiger fans..

Soxfest
08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Sunday Sweep time!

tebman
08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
The ball was outside the LH batters' box. No chance.
Thanks for the info. My friend who was with me today said that's what he thought, but neither of us saw it well enough to tell.

Got to give the Tigers props for guessing right. Now tomorrow we sweep!

:bandance:

jabrch
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Good to see BA with that clutch hit, the bottom of the line-up was huge in getting the game tied up.

Nice game by Mark and the bullpen

Gotta get rid of BA. He's killing this team.

MarySwiss
08-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Leyland now making excuses alot like Dave Duncan.Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Justin Verlander tipped his pitches Friday, when he had his worst start of the season. Why is it when i pitcher does well against a team they just have our number ? But when a team has a pitchers number ,they are tipping pitches? the whole absurd artick is in sox notes at chicagosports.com under Sox notes

Well, weren't Leyland and Duncan both assistants under LaRussa?

CaptainBallz
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Missed the game, but sounds like a good'n!!

The sweep here is crucial. To get back within 5.5 while sending Detroit to Boston on a 5 game losing streak would be HUGE!! I know, I know the Sox just need to play their games, but the momentum shift would cause earthquakes. Like for serious earthquakes.

Do this. And play BA while you're at it. Tonight, I dance...:gulp: with beer.

cgaudin
08-12-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm not gonna be greedy. As far as I'm concerned it's mission accomplished having won the series. On another note, it doesn't let up for the Tigers who have to go to Boston for three, then host Texas for four games, then the Sox for four more. Neither Boston nor Texas are pushovers, and could give the kitties trouble. There is a very realistic chance the Sox could not only catch the Tigers but be ahead by 1 or two games by the end of the month, and the Sox need to sweep no one.

voodoochile
08-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Well, weren't Leyland and Duncan both assistants under LaRussa?

Other way around. Leyland tutored all those coaches in Pittsburgh, IIRC.

beckett21
08-12-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm not gonna be greedy. As far as I'm concerned it's mission accomplished having won the series. On another note, it doesn't let up for the Tigers who have to go to Boston for three, then host Texas for four games, then the Sox for four more. Neither Boston nor Texas are pushovers, and could give the kitties trouble. There is a very realistic chance the Sox could not only catch the Tigers but be ahead by 1 or two games by the end of the month, and the Sox need to sweep no one.

I'm greedy. Make 'em sweat. :redneck

The Sox can and will surpass them regardless of tomorrow's result, but the head to head games represent a two-game swing. Let's not make it any more difficult to catch them than it needs to be. :D:

ZombieRob
08-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Anyone have any Info on Zach Minor? What he features,record against the Sox ?

Hunker down
08-12-2006, 07:51 PM
This is the beginning of the end for the Tigers

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm greedy. Make 'em sweat. :redneck

The Sox can and will surpass them regardless of tomorrow's result, but the head to head games represent a two-game swing. Let's not make it any more difficult to catch them than it needs to be. :D:I agree. There's a huge difference between gaining three games and gaining only one, especially when they're at home. Plus, the momentum swing would be huge. Sweep them and they go out feeling like they've been slapped around. But let them grab a game back tomorrow and they go out thinking "We lost only one game in the standings and took two off the schedule and we have them at home in another week". I want them to leave town reeling. Most importantly, I want them to feel pressured to win against Boston and Texas.

MisterB
08-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Other way around. Leyland tutored all those coaches in Pittsburgh, IIRC.

Nope, Mary's got it right. Leyland joined the Sox coaching staff in '82 and Duncan in '83 (replacing former pitching coach Ron Schueler). Leyland was named the Pirates' manager in '86.

IlliniSox4Life
08-12-2006, 08:14 PM
BTW, what was going on in left field (around section 155 or behind the bullpen)? Looked like a lot of fights w/ Tiger fans..

There were two fights that I saw. One was more around 153ish, and one was behind the bullpen. Tigers/Sox fans got in fights. The one around 153 the Sox fan landed a few punches on the Tigers fans head. He got kicked out, I'm not sure about the Tigers fan. The other one behind the bullpen wasn't a fight, but a lot of yelling and people holding eachother back. The 4 or 5 Tigers fans got kicked out to a loud chant of "Detroit Sucks". They were smiling and flipped off the crowd. That's about all that happened

hi im skot
08-12-2006, 08:15 PM
This game and this thread totally deserve this:
:tomatoaward

Vernam
08-12-2006, 08:43 PM
BTW, did anyone notice the winning percentages against above .500 teams they showed on Fox? The Sox are #1, winning more than 60% of their games.I caught that on Tivo after returning from a glorious day at the park. Bodes pretty well for us in the post-season, yes?

Thanks to MacDougal and Thornton, the decision to yank Buehrle after 5 looks brilliant. Whether he would've rolled on or gotten into trouble, we need him fresh for the playoffs. That's a good reason to pull him, along with wanting to protect his psyche a bit by ensuring he had a positive outing.

And sweet to see Anderson get that big hit. We're so much stronger with him on the field defensively, the occasional RBI just feels like gravy.

Anybody see the nasty fight in about Sec 151? Some guy was pretty bloodied, but we couldn't tell his persuasion (Sox or Tiggers) from where we were sitting.

Vernam

TheDarkGundam
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Anybody see the nasty fight in about Sec 151? Some guy was pretty bloodied, but we could tell his persuasion (Sox or Tiggers) from where we were sitting.

Vernam
I saw a bunch of people standing up, I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. Honestly, my first thought was "Oh god, what is this, the wave?" until I saw a security guy running in.

ChiSoxGirl
08-12-2006, 08:48 PM
This was an incredible game all-around- great starting & relief pitching, timely hitting, and good defense (with the exception of Uribe's lack of turning that double play in the 5th). Today's (and Thursday's) game had a playoff-type atmosphere and the ballpark really did feel electric. I can't wait for tomorrow when we sweep! This could be the beginning of our roll and the Tigers' downward spiral! :bandance:

RadioheadRocks
08-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Tough luck for the gambler. And tough ****. The Sox need the wins.

I just dropped in to see what condition his condition was in. :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling:

"Yeah, yeah, whooa yeah..."

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I caught that on Tivo after returning from a glorious day at the park. Bodes pretty well for us in the post-season, yes?

No. Pitching like we have this series sure does though.

Vernam
08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
No. Pitching like we have this series sure does though.The fact that our winning percentage against the top teams is better than anyone else's -- the only one over .600 -- doesn't say anything about our chances in the playoffs? Ho-kay. :?:

Vernam

MarySwiss
08-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I just dropped in to see what condition his condition was in. :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling:

Sheesh, a Kenny Rogers and the First Edition reference yet. Yikes!

OF alert!

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 09:51 PM
The fact that our winning percentage against the top teams is better than anyone else's -- the only one over .600 -- doesn't say anything about our chances in the playoffs? Ho-kay. :?:

Vernam

What was our record against Boston and Anaheim last year?

What was our record against them in October? :wink:

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Nice win today. If ever the Sox could get a sweep this would be the time for it.

Win and it's down to 5 1/2 with the pressure starting to hit Detroit. Lose and it's still a comfortable 7 1/2 game spread.

Lip

SoxandtheCityTee
08-12-2006, 09:52 PM

Yikes. I gave their game thread a quick skim and one guy posts that the White Sox are playing badly against good teams (with the exception of the Tigers) this year. Umm, as noted during the Fox broadcast the Sox are over .600 which leads the league in winning % against teams over .500. I guess you only see what you want to see -- or maybe he was listening on the radio. I suspect that Oblong and Tiger23 may be the best of that lot.

Vernam
08-12-2006, 09:58 PM
What was our record against Boston and Anaheim last year?

What was our record against them in October? :wink:I wasn't offering a frickin' guarantee! But I get your point. :D:

Vernam

DannyCaterFan
08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
As Harry Caray use to say, "The Big Possum Walk Late"!

soxwon
08-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Tons of Sox Trolls on the Tigers message boards!!!
who's doing this?
we complain when there are trolls here.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-12-2006, 10:03 PM
who's doing this?

Not me. I only lurked.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 10:09 PM
who's doing this?
we complain when there are trolls here.

If you're talking the MLB boards, then it's just par for the course. Highly doubtful it's anyone from here, though. That is anyone respectable.

DickAllen72
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Pull out the Brooms, boys and girls!

We already won two out of three. Let's just be satisfied that we won another series. Start the "C" lineup tomorrow: Ozuna at 3B, Cintron at 2B and Mack in CF. After all, there's no big difference between 7.5 out and 5.5 out at this point of the season.

Seriously, great win today. We really needed that. Let's hope Freddy, pitching a BIG game in the afternoon, turns in a gem and the Sox sweep the series.

A win tomorrow puts them right back in the AL Central title race. :gulp:

Looks like Detroit may have finally hit that "funk" we've all been waiting for. Tomorrow's game is HUGE.

Go White Sox! :supernana:

DickAllen72
08-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Ain't no need to hide
Ain't no need to run
'Cause I got you in the sights
Of my
Gun

I love Albert King.

DickAllen72
08-12-2006, 10:15 PM
The pyschological diff between 5.5 and 7.5 is huge. Today was the biggest game of the year- now tomorrow is. Let BA patrol center field for Freddies sake tomorrow , Oz, Miner is not overpowering I would think BA has a chance at the plate with some newfound confidence.

Preach it Brother, preach it!

DickAllen72
08-12-2006, 10:21 PM
There's a huge difference between gaining three games and gaining only one, especially when they're at home. Plus, the momentum swing would be huge. Sweep them and they go out feeling like they've been slapped around. But let them grab a game back tomorrow and they go out thinking "We lost only one game in the standings and took two off the schedule and we have them at home in another week". I want them to leave town reeling. Most importantly, I want them to feel pressured to win against Boston and Texas.

Amen that.

flo-B-flo
08-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I agree. There's a huge difference between gaining three games and gaining only one, especially when they're at home. Plus, the momentum swing would be huge. Sweep them and they go out feeling like they've been slapped around. But let them grab a game back tomorrow and they go out thinking "We lost only one game in the standings and took two off the schedule and we have them at home in another week". I want them to leave town reeling. Most importantly, I want them to feel pressured to win against Boston and Texas. Indeed, an impaling tomorrow makes some of them start grabbing for their necks. Boston is plenty in angst and will provide some desperation and more pressure. Anyone who has never gone through a close pennant race, hold on to your ass. It's not crucial but, I wouldn't hate a sweep.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Indeed, an impaling tomorrow makes some of them start grabbing for their necks. Boston is plenty in angst and will provide some desperation and more pressure. Anyone who has never gone through a close pennant race, hold on to your ass. It's not crucial but, I wouldn't hate a sweep.Indeed. This is the time of year that separates the men from the boys. Gut-check time. Time to put up or shut up. We'll find out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

Any cliches I missed?

TornLabrum
08-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Indeed. This is the time of year that separates the men from the boys. Gut-check time. Time to put up or shut up. We'll find out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

Any cliches I missed?

Yeah, one I was about to add: Go for the jugular.

Frontman
08-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Indeed. This is the time of year that separates the men from the boys. Gut-check time. Time to put up or shut up. We'll find out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

Any cliches I missed?

Um, can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen? Or might not be a cliche, but an appropriate quote, "This is where the big dogs come out. And if you can't run with the big dogs, STAY UP ON THE PORCH!"

Front

digdagdug23
08-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah, one I was about to add: Go for the jugular.

Or the juggler...........man those guys are annoying. :wink:

http://www.juggling.org/pics/Icon/krustjuggle.gif

NDSox12
08-12-2006, 11:59 PM

:rolling:

I wonder how many people (besides MarySwiss) got that reference. Well done!

I spent the entire day in DC, so I did not get to watch or listen to the game. I was checking the score on my cell phone very frequently though. Sure was nice to see that score tied up after Anderson got that huge 2 out hit!

Finally, I will get to see the game tomorrow. Can't wait to watch the Sox finish off the sweep!

PeteWard
08-13-2006, 12:46 AM
If Ozzie wants to get Mack in there tomorrow, he should put him at either 3B or RF to spell one of the guys that really NEEDS a day off.

I think maybe we just might see JD and Crede in there for the biggest game of the year so far? Then rest them one at a time.After all KC is in next. I think when Mac plays it's more of a platoon system, given BA's avg, rather than resting BA. But I think Ozzie will play BA tomorrow anyway because of his D and his big hit today.

PeteWard
08-13-2006, 01:07 AM

Bull****! The Sox have them wondering about their own legitimacy.It's time to break their confidence utterly .

When the lead is still a substantial 6 1/2, a win for Detroit tomorrow will be very big for them. A loss and a bad road trip to Fenway might shatter them beyond repair.

Deebs14
08-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Nice game indeed...would've been better if I got the chance to watch the mother****er. Thanks again Fox! :mad:

http://www.nndb.com/people/114/000031021/james-gammon-sized.jpg

"Now we're startin to roll boys!" :gulp:

Grzegorz
08-13-2006, 06:05 AM
I think maybe we just might see JD and Crede in there for the biggest game of the year so far? Then rest them one at a time.After all KC is in next. I think when Mac plays it's more of a platoon system, given BA's avg, rather than resting BA. But I think Ozzie will play BA tomorrow anyway because of his D and his big hit today.

Resting players has to be done very carefully. I do not believe that the White Sox can overlook any opponent. KC has played well against the White Sox this year and Sweeney is back in the lineup.

All the good work accomplished over the last few series can be washed away by a terrible showing against KC.

There are no respites for the White Sox; they have to approach every game focused and determined to win.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 09:09 AM

As a fan of Kenny Rogers and The First Edition (yes,sadly,I admit it),
here's another Kenny Rogers/First Edition song that might apply to
the Tiggers temporary loose grip on the A.L. Central title:

"Something's Burning".:roflmao:
(And I think it's their playoff dream.):roflmao:

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 09:14 AM
I love Albert King.

Isn't that also from Led Zepplin's "How Many More Times"??:dunno:

DickAllen72
08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Isn't that also from Led Zepplin's "How Many More Times"??:dunno:

Albert King recorded "The Hunter" on June 9, 1967. The lyrics quoted are in that song.

The song was written by Booker T. Jones, C. Wells, Al Jackson Jr., Donald "Duck" Dunn, and Steve Cropper.

I'm sure others recorded it as well, but I'm a fan of Albert. :smile:

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Albert King recorded "The Hunter" on June 9, 1967. The lyrics quoted are in that song.

The song was written by Booker T. Jones, C. Wells, Al Jackson Jr., Donald "Duck" Dunn, and Steve Cropper.

I'm sure others recorded it as well, but I'm a fan of Albert. :smile:

I believe that track is off an Albert King album
that could definitely apply to the Motown Kitties,at least
right now:

"Born Under A Bad Sign".:cool:
To paraphrase:
If it wasn't for bad luck,they'd have no luck at all.:D: :sweep

DickAllen72
08-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I believe that track is off an Albert King album
that could definitely apply to the Motown Kitties,at least
right now: