PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-13

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Three items...including one of the greatest 'put-down' lines towards a politician I've ever heard!

August 13, 1943 - Future Hall Of Famer Luke Appling collects his 2,000th hit in a game against the Red Sox.

August 13, 1967 - All season long the Sox battle the big boys, the Tigers, Twins and Red Sox in the greatest pennant race in American League history. This game marked the beginning of the end of the dream. The Sox lost a controversial game to the Twins 3-2 when Tommy Agee was called out at 3rd base on a close play in the 9th inning. The Sox dropped out of first place for the first time in two months. Afterwards manager Eddie Stanky kept Vice President Hubert Humphrey waiting outside the Sox locker room with reporters. Stanky later said "what do I need Humphrey for? Can he hit?"

August 13, 2002- Sox infielder Jose Valentin becomes only the fifth player in club history to homer from both sides of the plate in the same game. He does it in Texas off the Rangers Dennys Reyes and Todd Van Poppel. The shot off Reyes is a grand slam. He drives in six runs in the 12-3 win.

Lip

Mingo
08-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Wasn't that the year the Sox had a team batting average of around .230?

Ken Berry hit .250 or so and lead the team in hitting. It was one of my favorite Sox seasons.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Mingo:

The team batting average for 1967 was .241.

They had the best pitching in the league however and that will keep you in a lot of ballgames.

Lip

Dan Mega
08-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I always enjoy these posts Lip, thanks for posting them.

I wasn't alive until '81 so its always good to learn something new everyday about the Sox.

my5thbench
08-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I don't believe ol' Tricky Dick could hit either

Dan H
08-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Actually the team batting average for 1967 was .225. Ken Berry and Don Buford led the team with a .241 marks. The team hit a whopping 89 home runs with only three players in double figures. Pete Ward led with 18 and also led with in RBIs with 62.

The team ERA was 2.45. Once they swept the Tigers in a DH by shutting them out both games. The first game was a Joe Horlen no-hitter and this was on Sept. 10, 1967. The Sox won another game that week 4-0 in 10 innings. Later they beat Cleveland 1-0 in 17 innings. During the stretch month of September, the Sox staff threw 8 shutouts. In the 17-inning game, Gary Peters threw 11 innings. He gave up one hit in the second and that was it. To say their pitching carried them is an understatement. The pitching did everything. It's amazing that this team almost went to the World Series. It would have been a great story but the lack of hitting finally caught up with them, and the Sox faded when they lost their final five games of the year. Two of those games the Sox offense was shut out and one they barely avoided a shutout when they scored two in the ninth.

Tragg
08-13-2006, 10:19 AM
August 13, 1967 - All season long the Sox battle the big boys, the Tigers, Twins and Red Sox in the greatest pennant race in American League history. This game marked the beginning of the end of the dream. The Sox lost a controversial game to the Twins 3-2 when Tommy Agee was called out at 3rd base on a close play in the 9th inning. The Sox dropped out of first place for the first time in two months. Afterwards manager Eddie Stanky kept Vice President Hubert Humphrey waiting outside the Sox locker room with reporters. Stanky later said "what do I need Humphrey for? Can he hit?"

That game was probably the beginning of the end...I think it was on national TV and I watched it, but my memory is sketchy (it may be a close game with boston I was thinking about).
After sweeping Minny in mid September, we must have thought we still were the favorites with the schedule closing out with 2 bad teams

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 11:35 AM
After sweeping Minny in mid September, we must have thought we still were the favorites with the schedule closing out with 2 bad teams

My cousins,who are 8 years older than I am, will never let
me forget "black Wednesday",when the lowly (then) Kansas City A's
swept a double header in KC,ending any hopes the
White Sox had of making the World Series.:(:

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
My cousins,who are 8 years older than I am, will never let
me forget "black Wednesday",when the lowly (then) Kansas City A's
swept a double header in KC,ending any hopes the
White Sox had of making the World Series.:(:

I, who is older than I am, remembers that doubleheader vividly. It still hurts a little to think about it.