PDA

View Full Version : another "great" foxsports article

soxfan43
08-12-2006, 03:27 AM
that useless douche is back at it again. He proves yet again he probably hasn't watched a Sox game all year. When did Rowand win a gold glove again? Ya, Anderson's Defense is really killing the sox this year. Enjoy,

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5862568

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Just a couple of points.

Anderson, by all offiicial and unofficial measures, has been a better outfielder defensively than Rowand.

The article should have mentioned Mackowiak and Pods as factors...and Jermaine Dye doesn't cover as much ground as he used to, although he's a very solid outfielder.

It is a problem that our staff doesn't have the stuff to get many strikeouts (besides Contreras and Vazquez) and we're giving up too many flyballs, which tend to end up as cheap homers at US Cellular.

As far as Vasquez goes, he can't afford to pitch everyone on the outside. He has to pitch with conviction and come inside occasionally to keep hitters from diving out over the plate. Mostly, he just needs to trust his stuff. Hopefully, the last two outings will help rebuild that confidence and end this "woe is me" nonsense and the idea he's always having bad luck. Vazquez nibbles too much, and is afraid to rely on his natural movement....evidenced by the six walks the other night. Granted, the Yankees are the best offense in the AL after the Sox, but it's always better to get beat by hits than walks.

Garland apparently had a dead arm coming out of the spring, but I disagree with that...I think he was overthrowing and his fastball/sinker didn't have the movement it did when he throws it 88-91 MPH instead of 91-94. With Garland, it was all about location. When he was up in the zone, he got murdered, but he had a long string of starts without a homer until the WED game against NY. He should be fine.

Buehrle, we'll have a better idea about today, he's always seemed to have Detroit's number, and Rogers is struggling mightily as well.

Vernam
08-12-2006, 09:06 AM
I was almost going to start a thread about that article, but it's such a bunch of crap that I figured someone would spring the "This Thread Blows" jpg on me. :wink:

I do love when some tool tries to make a definitive pronouncement like that guy does -- "Nothing special at all about the Sox pitching" -- then someone like Jose goes out the same day and makes the pronouncement look ridiculous!

Vernam

soxruleEP
08-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I find it interesting that Fox invites me to "Bookmark this expert's page" [italics mine]. If he's such an expert, maybe he can tell me when Aaron Rowand won a gold glove. Errors such as that don't do much to qualify one as an expert.

People who make pronouncements based on never actually watchng a game are prone to errors. [maybe that should be in teal.]

Tragg
08-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I will start with the obligabory "I respect and appreciate what Rowand did...." (and I do)....BUT no national media outlet - none, zip, zilch - said squat about Rowand's defense UNTIL that series in Yankee Stadium last year. And that was a result of a)the juxtaposition of Rowand against the aging Bernie Williams; b)the importance of his catches in the close Sox wins and the importance of Williams' non-catches in the close Sox wins and c)yes, good defense by Rowand d)because it was against the Yankees.
Rowand's a good CF, not a great one; we have a better one now.
Philly had Rowand on the trading block in July.

MarySwiss
08-12-2006, 09:26 PM
that useless douche is back at it again. He proves yet again he probably hasn't watched a Sox game all year. When did Rowand win a gold glove again? Ya, Anderson's Defense is really killing the sox this year. Enjoy,

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5862568

I didn't even have to look at the link to know who wrote this. Your description was enough.