PDA

View Full Version : Injuries

Cubbiesuck13
02-20-2002, 10:00 PM
How come the injuries are so frequent to the sox pitchers? With news of Kelly Wunch's injurie to his hammy I have to wonder about the Sox training staff. There were some talks about them last year after everyone went down. Any comments on them? There has to be something going on. Entire pitching staffs just dont fall injury prone all the sudden. Not entire, but many apon many.

Daver
02-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
How come the injuries are so frequent to the sox pitchers? With news of Kelly Wunch's injurie to his hammy I have to wonder about the Sox training staff. There were some talks about them last year after everyone went down. Any comments on them? There has to be something going on. Entire pitching staffs just dont fall injury prone all the sudden. Not entire, but many apon many.

The training staff is not responsible for the players conditioning,the position coach is.

delben91
02-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by daver

The training staff is not responsible for the players conditioning,the position coach is.

Though it's gotten a lot of use lately, the tag is making another appearance....

:firenardi

Cubbiesuck13
02-20-2002, 11:04 PM
how is that? I figured the trainers would be the guys who had best knowledge of their health.

How come nothing has been done yet?

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2002, 12:52 PM
An injury on the first day of camp is the coach's fault? Maybe the player has some responsibility for off-season conditioning?

czalgosz
02-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
An injury on the first day of camp is the coach's fault? Maybe the player has some responsibility for off-season conditioning?

Didn't Wunsch trip and fall? How is that Nardi's (or anyone's) fault?

And you're right, most players have little to no contact with the coaching staff during the off-season. If they're hurt, they see their doctor and maybe the trainer, and that's about it.

Jerry_Manuel
02-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Let the record show it was Day 5, and if my memory is in order here, I heard he hurt himself covering home plate.

Cubbiesuck13
02-21-2002, 05:43 PM
He did hurt himself covering the plate during a drill. The wild pitch drill.

I wasnt just talking about this one. Last year all those guys got all injuried, i just thought they threw to much or something, the coaches do moniter them. Wrong advice, that sorta thing.

czalgosz
02-21-2002, 05:47 PM

I wasnt just talking about this one. Last year all those guys got all injuried, i just thought they threw to much or something, the coaches do moniter them. Wrong advice, that sorta thing.

Well, I don't know enough about that to comment on labrums and rotator cuffs and the like, but some people on this board are blaming Nardi Contreras for problems in mechanics that lead to injuries. I don't know enough about it to comment one way or the other.

Daver
02-21-2002, 06:04 PM

Nardi teaches poor mechanics,has poor abilty in judging a pitchers strengths,has no clue as to molding a pitcher to their ability,he would rather force them to pitch the style HE thinks they should pitch,and he has a bad habit of intimidating young pitchers to the point that they are afraid to admit that their arm hurts.I have no idea why he is still on staff.

As far as pitching too much,I fully beleive in Tommy John's philosphy on this this,injuries occur because these guys don't throw enough,and it is not going out there and throwng as hard as they can for an hour,it is a plan to have young pitchers throw for two hours every day,starting with soft toss from 30 feet and progressing out ward,with the last half hour spent on the mound throwing actual pitches.This plan would work well for developing a fluid arm,while not putting theses guys in jeopardy of pitching their arms out.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Paulwny
02-21-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

As far as pitching too much,I fully beleive in Tommy John's philosphy on this this,injuries occur because these guys don't throw enough,and it is not going out there and throwng as hard as they can for an hour,it is a plan to have young pitchers throw for two hours every day,starting with soft toss from 30 feet and progressing out ward,with the last half hour spent on the mound throwing actual pitches.This plan would work well for developing a fluid arm,while not putting theses guys in jeopardy of pitching their arms out.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Tommy John should be the pitching coach.

From the book "Pitch Like A Pro" by Leo Mazzone, Atl. Braves.

The program Mazzone brought to the Braves was notable because he was able to consistently keep pitchers healthy, and the results have been extraordinary. (It didn't hurt to have some pitchers that would become future Cy Young Award winners.) The Braves pitching staff has ranked first or second in earned run averages since 1991.

Now this program is in Mazzone's new book "Pitch like a Pro". If you are an aspiring pitcher or a baseball coach at any level -- from Little League to the pro's -- there are many, many gems in this short book. Mazzone keeps things simple and to the point. If you want healthy pitchers, keep them throwing.

His advice: "Go to the ballfield every day. Throw a baseball every day ... The key is to be consistent and throw every day."

Simple advice, powerful results.

Daver
02-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Tommy John should be the pitching coach.

He would definately have a better insight into returning from injury,and would be able to pass it on to the entire staff.