PDA

View Full Version : Old games (ESPN Classic)

Johnny74
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I would love to see footage of old baseball games. I want to see a Sox game from 1980, 1970, 1959 etc... Is there any way to find old game footage? If ESPN Classic actually showed old games instead of poker tournaments from 3 years ago that would be great.
I really want to see footage of Ed Farmer pitching. I want to watch random games from years past. (Is this weird?) Where can I find this footage? Thanks.

TornLabrum
08-12-2006, 08:37 AM
I would love to see footage of old baseball games. I want to see a Sox game from 1980, 1970, 1959 etc... Is there any way to find old game footage? If ESPN Classic actually showed old games instead of poker tournaments from 3 years ago that would be great.
I really want to see footage of Ed Farmer pitching. I want to watch random games from years past. (Is this weird?) Where can I find this footage? Thanks.

I don't think there is any video tape of anything as early as 1959. Much of NBC's tape from that era was destroyed, iirc, in a fire. There is a highlight film (in color) that you can see occasionally on TV. The last I saw it, the color was pretty faded, though.

I've also heard that (and maybe Lip can help out on this), is that very little pre-Einhorn-Reinsdorf Sox tape has survived. I don't recall if the tapes were destroyed or simply re-used.

downstairs
08-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I do know that ESPN Classic (maybe 2-3 years ago, ironically it was the day I got my Dish) played the 1981 Sox opener vs. Boston (Fisk's first game as a White Sox).

Unfortunately, over time ESPN Classic has really sucked in terms of playing old, less "historic" games.

By "historic" I mean Boston/Yankees games from 2003-2005.

stacksedwards
08-12-2006, 09:36 AM
There is an old highlight tape from mid 80's that is pretty cool. They got it at the Lake County library in Merrilliville but I don't know if that will help you.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
There aren't many Sox games on ESPN Classic, but in addition to Fisk's debut mentioned above, I've seen Seaver's 300th win. The only way I caught these is that I set the DVR to pick up Sox games. They're pretty rare.

lumpyspun
08-12-2006, 10:13 AM
ESPN Classic sucks just as much as ESPN U, ESPN 2, ESPN, and ESPN News. That channel knows how to take a great concept and **** all over it. ESPN Classic has the ability to be the greatest channel on TV, but like someone said all they do is air toughman competitions and poker tournaments.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2006, 10:24 AM
ESPN Classic sucks just as much as ESPN U, ESPN 2, ESPN, and ESPN News. That channel knows how to take a great concept and **** all over it. ESPN Classic has the ability to be the greatest channel on TV, but like someone said all they do is air toughman competitions and poker tournaments.

They used to be great, back in the early decade. Every day a week, they would show nothing but classic games/matches from a sport. One day it would be nothing but baseball, the next day nothing but boxing. Now, you'd be lucky to watch a full game, because they always skip through the middle innings.

LongLiveFisk
08-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Lip Man 1 made copies for me. PM him and I'm sure he'll forward you a list of what he has.

chaerulez
08-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't blame ESPN for the change in programming for ESPN Classic, they just realized most sports fans would rather watch stuff that happened 2-3 years ago as opposed to decades ago. Although their use of the term "instant classic" annoys me for some reason...

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Johnny:

Feel free to contact me. mliptak1@msn.com

Hal:

From what I have been told by one of the Sox front office folks, the previous owners (he didn't say exactly who) thought that this type of material belonged to them as owners so they simply took everything when the team was sold. He actually told me the Sox don't have much from before 1990. Rich King of WGN-TV told me they don't have a lot in their station morgue on the Sox from before 1985.

MLB I'm sure has some material but naturally they probably don't have a lot of complete games and stuff from before the 70's (some do survive however, for example the clinching game of the Mets / Orioles W.S.

The earliest complete game that I know of was the final game of one of the Yankee / Dodger W.S. from the mid 50's.

Part of the reason actual TV footage from before say the 70's, hasn't survived is because TV stations, when they started converting from film and 'kinescope' to ENG (electronic newsgathering equipment... "tape" to you 'lay' people LOL), they simply threw that stuff out.

Stations didn't know anyone would want them and it would cost a fortune to store those games in climate controled, air conditioned warehouses. Without that film degrades in only a few years time.

For example no known footage exist (even film) of Catfish Hunter's 'perfect game' vs. Minnesota in 1967 or Steve Carlton's 19 strikeout game in 1972.

WGN-TV was one of the stations that threw out a lot of material when they moved to their 'new' studios on W. Bradley in 1962. They simply tossed thousands of reels of film from the Sox and Cubs of the 1950's / early 60's.

Scottzilla
08-12-2006, 11:55 AM
They used to be great, back in the early decade. Every day a week, they would show nothing but classic games/matches from a sport.

This was when it was Classic Sports Network and not esPn classic. i think the original had some affilliation with msg or something but it was still a milllion times better back then.

Its not that classic sports realized that people want to see 'new classic' games.

its that espn took over and espnized it.

Sox of White
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Around the time of championship series they usually have a lot of cool old games. Like last year during october they had a lot of old world series games, and during january they had a lot of super bowl games. I wish they had stuff during other times of the year though.

FloridaTigers
08-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I don't even watch ESPN Classic anymore. I mean, I'd kill to be able to watch any baseball game. Give me some Royals, or Marlins, or something. I don't care. A couple years ago, the programming director was from Michigan and showed many Tigers related things. Now I'll be lucky to see any baseball. Or even football. Really, does anyone give a **** about the 1998 World Series of Poker?

Johnny74
08-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Really, does anyone give a **** about the 1998 World Series of Poker?
That's my point! WHo gives a **** about the poker tournaments? I don't even care about the current ones, let alone the ones from two years ago. Sigh... Thanks for the help guys.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Poker is very 'hot' right now. ESPN is owned by ABC/Cap Cities. They are a business...they could care less about sports. What they care about is turning a profit.

If poker is 'hot' you can be sure they are going to ram it down your throats in an effort to get better ratings which translates into more money charged for advertising.

Lip

PKalltheway
08-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Poker is very 'hot' right now. ESPN is owned by ABC/Cap Cities. They are a business...they could care less about sports. What they care about is turning a profit.

If poker is 'hot' you can be sure they are going to ram it down your throats in an effort to get better ratings which translates into more money charged for advertising.

Lip
Even though I still can't stand what ESPN Classic has done to their programming, I understand what you're saying. That still doesn't explain why they prefer to show classic boxing all of the time and classic bowling and other pointless crap like that.