PDA

View Full Version : Worst call this year.

soxwon
08-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Do you recall any real bad calls against us this season?

if so what happened?

Ishmookie
08-11-2006, 07:45 PM
anything that eric cooper called.

SoxWillWin
08-11-2006, 07:47 PM
anything that eric cooper called.

that sounds like Hawk talking....:D:

NoShoesJoe
08-11-2006, 07:50 PM
How about Pods stretching the double into a triple the other night. He was clearly safe, as he slid under ARods tag. Bad call.

Rgilliam32
08-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Obvious Balk in 9th with tying run on 3rd, oddly also against yankees!

0o0o0
08-12-2006, 02:34 AM
It wasn't against us, but in one of Jeter's ab's a day or two ago, there was a pitch that was much closer to bouncing than it was to being in the strike zone. It was called a strike, and of course Hawk conveniently paid no attention. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
08-12-2006, 03:15 AM
It wasn't against us, but in one of Jeter's ab's a day or two ago, there was a pitch that was much closer to bouncing than it was to being in the strike zone. It was called a strike, and of course Hawk conveniently paid no attention. :rolleyes: Well, what response do you expect from him? He might blow his top on a close play, but if replays show the umpire was right, he always gives him credit and takes it back. He has said many times that the Sox caught a break on a call on the bases or on a strike. Did you expect him to start screaming at the ump because we got a break on that pitch?:rolleyes:

The answer to the original question - this year we have seen umpiring that is beyond horrible. Not too many bad calls on the bases stand out, but we have been screwed time and time again with strikezones. Our pitchers often are squeezed, and the opponents often get expanded zones. There have been many games this year where it was clear the different teams had different strike zones. Buehrle's start in Seattle was one of the worst. However, probably the single worst strike call was Contreras' pitch to A-Rod in NY - mid thigh, center of the plate - and AJ didn't even move his glove, called a ball.

batmanZoSo
08-12-2006, 03:34 AM
It wasn't against us, but in one of Jeter's ab's a day or two ago, there was a pitch that was much closer to bouncing than it was to being in the strike zone. It was called a strike, and of course Hawk conveniently paid no attention. :rolleyes:

Jeter does have great abs. :puking:

StillMissOzzie
08-12-2006, 04:27 AM
Last call in the bottom of the 4th inning in yesterday's rain-delayed game.

SMO
:gulp:

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 06:42 AM
I'll go with Buehrle's sequences against Salmon and Molina in the Monday night game against the Angels with Cooper behind the plate.

The call when Iguchi tried to get to third (can't remember the game off the top of my head) and got called out was not so good either.

Agree about the balk part....that's something that will never be called on Mariano Rivera, even in a visiting park. Did you notice that they could have called Runelvys Hernandez on the balk about 15-20 more times but they just gave up with him?

Juice16
08-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Last week in KC, the umpire called a strike on JD that the pitcher bowled in. It luckily didn't count because he balked. I actually TIVOed the call just to show people how bad home plate umping is.

Deuce
08-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Obvious Balk in 9th with tying run on 3rd, oddly also against yankees!:thumbsup:

This one cost us big. Still, I have a lot more respect for Rivera since he admitted it. Many players don't admit when they get away with one.

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 08:44 AM
I just think it would have to be a little more obvious for them to ever call it on Rivera in that situation...not when the tying run would have scored. I know that's when they SHOULD call it, but umpires are human.

WSox597
08-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Some of these umpires believe they're the reason people come to the ballpark. Ideally, we wouldn't even know any of their names. If people know their names, the umpires are doing something wrong.

They are the worst officials in sports lately. Even watching a game the Sox aren't playing in you can see some hideous calls. You wonder what game they're watching, the calls they make.

Too bad they can't be replaced by some kind of technology. Works for me.

Juice16
08-12-2006, 10:10 AM
I forgot about Rob M. last week in Toronto. His at k's were a joke. I have never seen a player get screwed in one game like that.

stacksedwards
08-12-2006, 10:20 AM
that sounds like Hawk talking....:D:

Now thats just bs. - Now that is quoting Hawk.

I love when Hawk gets real upset. That is what you gotta love about him though, it seems like he really cares about if the Sox win or lose

IlliniSox4Life
08-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I was watching one of the Yankees games with a Cubs fan, and even he couldn't figure out the Umps strikezone. I know a lot of times I interpert things with Sox collored glasses on, but he was just as dumbfounded as I was. The officiating has just been god awful this season.

0o0o0
08-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, what response do you expect from him? He might blow his top on a close play, but if replays show the umpire was right, he always gives him credit and takes it back. He has said many times that the Sox caught a break on a call on the bases or on a strike. Did you expect him to start screaming at the ump because we got a break on that pitch?:rolleyes:

Come on, he was whining all series that the Yankees were getting pitches that the Sox weren't. I expect him to grow up and realize that the calls were consistently bad.

Juice16
08-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Come on, he was whining all series that the Yankees were getting pitches that the Sox weren't. I expect him to grow up and realize that the calls were consistently bad.

Saying he was whining is an complete exaggeration. Hawk is announcing the game. Bad calls are being made and he is talking about them. He also is the WHITE SOX announcer so if he throws any homerism it is not only understandable, but appreciated on my part. I don't understand this notion that Hawk cannot talk about the bad calls without being a whiner? God forbid him show any passion toward a team he has been apart of for 20+ years.

samram
08-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Some of these umpires believe they're the reason people come to the ballpark.

I always try to make it out to the park when Fieldin Culbreth is behind the plate.

0o0o0
08-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Saying he was whining is an complete exaggeration. Hawk is announcing the game. Bad calls are being made and he is talking about them. He also is the WHITE SOX announcer so if he throws any homerism it is not only understandable, but appreciated on my part. I don't understand this notion that Hawk cannot talk about the bad calls without being a whiner? God forbid him show any passion toward a team he has been apart of for 20+ years.

Yeah, when he's talking about them more than bad pitching, lack of clutch hitting, etc. I'd consider that whining.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that he's a complete homer. I think he just takes it too far sometimes.

Parrothead
08-12-2006, 03:10 PM
The call to Geico

soxruleEP
08-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Officiating in all sports is beyond horrible.

Go see a small college basketball game or a high school game if you want to see some really terrible work. College basketball is especially bad because of the cozy relationship that develops between some coaches and some officials.

You would expect MLB to have guys that can at least maintain a strike zone for both teams and not obviously change what is or isn't a strike depending on who is pitching.