PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams on PTI

IlliniSox4Life
08-11-2006, 04:52 PM
A recap, he said that the prevailing attitude in the clubhouse is that they are focusing on the division, considering they almost blew a 15 game lead last year.

He said that the team feels good about themselves and they match up well against the Tigers. The Tigers deserve all the credit they've gotten, but that we play them well.

When asked about Ozzie, he said Ozzie has a lot of people coming at him from a bunch of different angles trying to get him to say the wrong thing. He didn't say it as an excuse, but just to mention that everyone is trying to get Ozzie to say the wrong thing. He also said there's nothing wrong with attitude, and the game can benefit from some "flavor", but it has to be done in a responsible manner.

When asked what's wrong with Buehrle, Kenny said even though Marks last outing's box score didn't indicate it, he was very pleased with his performance. Kenny sat right behind the plate and saw the movement on his pitches was back, and the important thing is now to go out and just let him pitch. Part of baseball is batters making adjusments to pitchers, and pitchers adjusting back.

When asked about if he thinks they will be in the playoffs, he obviously said absolutely. They think they have the most balanced team on baseball, and that if they can get through this real tough division, they just might win it all again.

Did I miss anything?

cbotnyse
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Good recap, I just saw it too......I love his optimism on still taking the division. We cannot forget last year. No lead is safe. We can still do it!

Dan Mega
08-11-2006, 04:57 PM
PTI is basically the only show on ESPN that I watch and its for interviews like these. Plus Wilbon and Tony are pretty funny together.

southwstchi4life
08-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Good recap, I just saw it too......I love his optimism on still taking the division. We cannot forget last year. No lead is safe. We can still do it!

YEp no lead is safe. I mean last Septemeber was the most stressful baseball month I ever experienced. I love how every game seems to be a playoff atmosphere. although my finger nails are takin a toll as well as my remote control from me throwing against the wall a couple times here and there

SOXSINCE'70
08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Last September was the most stressful baseball month I ever experienced.

Fixed it for you.BTW,August was stressful for me as well,
watching the lead shrink from 15 down to at least 7 1/2 .:o:

thomas35forever
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
That's basically everything he said. Way to follow!:thumbsup:

TheDarkGundam
08-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Kenny Williams doesn't get interviewed, the interview gets Kenny Williams-ed.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64443

veeter
08-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Starting with the Baltimore series, I've been having a blast watching these games. The Sox are great and I know will continue to move towards Detroit.

StatHead21
08-11-2006, 05:36 PM
They are 76-38, I don't see them giving up this lead. The Sox almost blew it because Carl Everett hit .222, Crede was hurt in August, Pods was hurt and they didn't have a closer because Hermanson got hurt.

If the Tigers stay healthy they'll walk to the playoffs. They also have more depth than the Sox did last year, if someone does get hurt, they have Chris Shelton in the minors and Dmitri Young on the bench.

Patrick134
08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
anyone who missed this, it will be on again in minutes on espn news.

buehrle4cy05
08-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Say what you will about Wilbon being a Cub fan, but he's a good journalist. I'm not a big fan of Bob Ryan, I hope he isn't there whenever Kornheiser is preparing for MNF.

Anyway, it was a good interview. Kenny sounded confident. I like that.

cbotnyse
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Say what you will about Wilbon being a Cub fan, but he's a good journalist. I'm not a big fan of Bob Ryan, I hope he isn't there whenever Kornheiser is preparing for MNF.

Anyway, it was a good interview. Kenny sounded confident. I like that.Wilbon is the only reason I watch ESPN.

hawkjt
08-11-2006, 06:51 PM
To each his own , I think Bob Ryan is the quintessential wordsmith. He is a guy that is opinonated but not a jerk. He is a great writer.

I do not even think he is an arrogant east coast guy. He really knows the history of teams even west of the hudson. He is a cut above all those guys on these sportwriters shows. IMO.

MUsoxfan
08-11-2006, 07:12 PM
If the Tigers stay healthy they'll walk to the playoffs. They also have more depth than the Sox did last year, if someone does get hurt, they have Chris Shelton in the minors and Dmitri Young on the bench.

Equal depth at best. There's a reason Chris Shelton was demoted for Sean "Training Room" Casey and Dmitri Young went 1-for the-Sox last year having one hit in 42ab's. (.024)

Malgar 12
08-12-2006, 08:14 AM
They are 76-38, I don't see them giving up this lead. The Sox almost blew it because Carl Everett hit .222, Crede was hurt in August, Pods was hurt and they didn't have a closer because Hermanson got hurt.

Don't you mean if a 1B or DH gets hurt? Also, Shelton was demoted for a reason, he's not very good. As for young he's a terrible fielder..He can't replace anybody...

7.5 Games will be hard to make up but it is not impossible.

gbergman
08-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Good interview, Michael Wilbon and Kornheiser are good. Personelly PTI and Around the Horn are the only two shows i watch. Cold Pizza sucks as we get stuck listening to skip bayless blabber about the red sox, and no one shuts woody paige up when he gets going on the Yankees.

maurice
08-14-2006, 03:15 PM
They also have more depth than the Sox did last year, if someone does get hurt, they have Chris Shelton in the minors and Dmitri Young on the bench.

I agree that the Tigers essentially are a playoff lock, but this is silly. These are not examples of "depth." There is a very good reason that Shelton is in the minors, and Young is on the bench. The reason is not "depth."

TDog
08-14-2006, 03:56 PM
I agree that the Tigers essentially are a playoff lock, but this is silly. These are not examples of "depth." There is a very good reason that Shelton is in the minors, and Young is on the bench. The reason is not "depth."

I don't think any AL team is a playoff lock, and I didn't think it a week ago.

Oakland will see a fight from the Angels. Overall right now, the Tigers have a 5.5 game lead. Behind the Tigers, the league is bunched with the White Sox and Yankees, Red Sox and Twins clustered within 2.5 games. That's 5 teams vying for 3 spots. The Tigers have the best shot at the postseason now, but there is a real possibility the Sox will catch them for the division. If they do, thee is a real possibility that the Yankees and Red Sox will continue to keep up with the White Sox. The Twins would probably fall on the fringe at this point because the White Sox would need to have beaten them, but you would still have 4 teams vying for 3 postseason berths. It wouldn't take a Tigers collapse -- just losses to the White Sox -- for all 4 teams to be within a couple of games of each other in mid-to-late September.

This is the same thing that happened last year. The Tigers are the White Sox. The White Sox are the Indians and the Red Sox and Yankees are the Red Sox and Yankees. Despite the schedule favoring the Indians, when the dust settled they were the odd team out. (And if the Indians were playing decent baseball this year, he White Sox would be at most 3.5 games back.) The Indians helped everyone by losing, although the White Sox helped themselves by beating the Indians.

Last year, nothing was over until the last week of the season. And no one has locked anything down in the AL this year.

Ziggy S
08-15-2006, 06:12 PM
7.5 Games will be hard to make up but it is not impossible.

I wonder how hard a 5.5 game lead is to chip away.