PDA

View Full Version : Post All Star Break White Sox

TomBradley72
08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I ran the stats on the White Sox website for the ChiSox "post All Star Break" (~25 games or 1/6th of as season)...some things really jumped out at me:

Offense: Who's Hot:
Joe Crede: .333-9-21
Jermaine Dye: .340-5-19
Tadahito Iguchi: .303-3-9

Offense: Who's Not:
Scott Podsednik: .224, 3/5 in SB's (!)
Jim Thome: 8 RBI's in 21 games

Pitching: Who's Hot:
Mike MacDougal: 1.80 ERA
Brandon MacCarthy: 3.29 ERA

Pitching: Who's Not:
Mark Buehrle: 0-4, 8.68
Javier Vazquez: 2-2, 5.34
Jose Contreras: 1-4, 4.93
Freddie Garcia: 0-2, 4.54

Things for Ozzie to Think About:
There is no upside to playing Machowiak...stop it!
(Anderson is hitting .265, Machowiak .250)
Your four horses from last year aren't as prepared to "go the distance" as last year...you now have a solid bullpen...start using MacCarthy and MacDougal more to "shorten the game".

CaptainBallz
08-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Pitching: Who's Not:
Mark Buehrle: 0-4, 8.68
Javier Vazquez: 2-2, 5.34
Jose Contreras: 1-4, 4.93
Freddie Garcia: 0-2, 4.54

Look no further than this. The making or breaking of our playoff hopes.

Gavin
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I hardly think our bullpen is solid.

CRAW
08-11-2006, 03:40 PM

I was going to say the same.

chaerulez
08-11-2006, 03:41 PM

I think McDougal, Thorton, McCarthy, and Jenks are doing fine. Cotts and Riske have also done a decent job as well. We should worry more about the starters.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm worried about Thome some. He hasn't been able to get the ball out of the infield for the most part lately. He never gets a two-out hit either, he has been ending a lot of innings lately. Only worried that he may be hurting some. If he is, get Gload in there for a few games and get Jimmy healthy. Hope he isn't trying to be a hero and play hurt.

CYGarland20
08-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm worried about Thome some. He hasn't been able to get the ball out of the infield for the most part lately. He never gets a two-out hit either, he has been ending a lot of innings lately. Only worried that he may be hurting some. If he is, get Gload in there for a few games and get Jimmy healthy. Hope he isn't trying to be a hero and play hurt.He looked Good over the weekend against Toronto. I think the YAnks pitched him tough, and he was swinging at a lot of bad pitches....

TomBradley72
08-11-2006, 04:24 PM

"Potentially solid" is probably more accurate. I liked Ozzie's philosophy of staying with the starters to the 8th/9th inning last year....I just think MacCarthy/MacDougal/Cotts/Riske/Thornton/Jenks is the "lesser of two evils".

MushMouth
08-11-2006, 04:34 PM
He looked Good over the weekend against Toronto. I think the YAnks pitched him tough, and he was swinging at a lot of bad pitches....

He's also just a historically streaky hitter. I think a few nice AB's and he might just get back onto a real tear.

slobes
08-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm worried about Thome some. He hasn't been able to get the ball out of the infield for the most part lately. He never gets a two-out hit either, he has been ending a lot of innings lately. Only worried that he may be hurting some. If he is, get Gload in there for a few games and get Jimmy healthy. Hope he isn't trying to be a hero and play hurt.

Yeah cause he had taken that break a couple of weeks ago and when he came back he was on fire for a few days. I don't have any problem at all with playing Gload for a while at first and letting Paulie DH some.

cgaudin
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I think McDougal, Thorton, McCarthy, and Jenks are doing fine. Cotts and Riske have also done a decent job as well. We should worry more about the starters.

I'm sorry I don't share your appraisal of the bullpen. It is because the pen is so shaky that Ozzie is forced to leave his starter to work out of jams.

BainesHOF
08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
The other teams aren't perfect. Just because our starting rotation isn't living up to its billing, doesn't mean we have to live and die with our starting pitchers. We simply have to do everything we can to win every game. That means no more Mackoviak in center field. It means taking out a starting pitcher earlier when it's clear he doesn't have it. McCarthy needs to be used more when the game is on the line. We've pretty much wasted his talent so far this season.

With improved game management by Ozzie, we still might be able to reach the playoffs even if our starters are only so so the rest of the regular season.

DSpivack
08-11-2006, 08:00 PM
The other teams aren't perfect. Just because our starting rotation isn't living up to its billing, doesn't mean we have to live and die with our starting pitchers. We simply have to do everything we can to win every game. That means no more Mackoviak in center field. It means taking out a starting pitcher earlier when it's clear he doesn't have it. McCarthy needs to be used more when the game is on the line. We've pretty much wasted his talent so far this season.

With improved game management by Ozzie, we still might be able to reach the playoffs even if our starters are only so so the rest of the regular season.
While I generally agree, definitions of "doesn't have it" differ from fan to player to coach. Some fans wanted Javy out in the third or fourth inning last night, which is ridiculous. Our pen hasn't been bad, our starters just have to pitch better, it's that simple.

JB98
08-11-2006, 08:10 PM
While I generally agree, definitions of "doesn't have it" differ from fan to player to coach. Some fans wanted Javy out in the third or fourth inning last night, which is ridiculous. Our pen hasn't been bad, our starters just have to pitch better, it's that simple.

I agree. We are in a stretch of 24 games in 24 days. Ozzie can't afford to give starters too quick a hook. If he does, we'll have a fatigued bullpen for the final 10 days of this stretch. During that final 10 days, we'll see Minnesota six times. I believe those games are even more critical for us than the matchups with Detroit. If the Tigers beat us, we can still fall back on the wild card. If the Twins beat us, uh oh.

my5thbench
08-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Buehrle scares me the most, the other starters are beginning to improve

KyWhiSoxFan
08-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Buehrle scares me the most, the other starters are beginning to improve

Today is judgment day for him as far as I'm concerned. We need him today to step up big time.

ajismyhero
08-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Today is judgment day for him as far as I'm concerned. We need him today to step up big time.

I agree 100%.....i keep waiting for him to come back and be the buehrle of old, but he's seemed to struggle out there - not moving as fast and not placing the ball well, ever since the Cubs series. Hopefully the curse has worn off!