PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8- 12

Lip Man 1
08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I personally remember this because I was working at KNOE that Sunday and as the day progressed I never got the score over the wire for my shows. I called AP to find out if they knew what was going on and they didn't...finally that evening came the news. Very, very strange!

August 12, 1990 - The Sox set what is believed to be the longest wait in baseball history before calling a game because of rain.

The Sox were slated to play the Rangers at Comiskey Park in an afternoon contest starting at 1PM Central time. Persistent rains cause a delay before the first pitch was even thrown. Because this was the last trip into Chicago by Texas, the Sox waited until the evening before "officially" calling the game. The wait lasted seven hours and 23 minutes!!! As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header the following week. And yes the players were in the clubhouses the entire time!

Lip

jdm2662
08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I remember that, too. I kept turning on the TV every 30 mins to see when they are going to start the game. I waited, waited, and waited like everyone else only to be disappointed.

However, if it weren't for that rain delay, the big brawl in Texas would've never happened. The extra game in Texas meant Ryan would pitch in the series. He wasn't slated to start it. I just wished someone jumped his old ass when he casually strolled out of the dug out AFTER the brawl ended.