PDA

View Full Version : Amazing White Sox fact about Orland/Tinley

jamokes
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
While reading the threads on WSI about what high schools WSI'ers went to, I realized that many on this site come from the Southwest suburbs. (I also realized that I'm older than a lot of you).

You may find it amazing, but it is very true that back in the mid 1970's, several of the White Sox players lived at 159th just west of Harlem Ave. in what is now the Orlan Creek townhouses/apartments/condos whatever they are on 159th and Olcott.

In the 70's I was a member of the Sox Supporters, a fan group out in the leftfield seats and we got to know quite a few of the players. Jim Kaat, Bucky Dent, Terry Forster and Goose Gossage just to name a few stayed in the apartments there. We would meet up with these guys at Rube's in Harvey and Traverso's in Orland. In fact, in Jim Kaat's book, "Still Pitching", on page 86 Jim mentions the time in 1979 on a Monday off day in early August, Jim arranged for Mamma Traverso to cook up a meal for Thurman Munson. That was the week Thurman was killed in a plane crash.

Hard to believe driving by those apartments today that at one time players lived out this way, it was a different generation.

tebman
08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
While reading the threads on WSI about what high schools WSI'ers went to, I realized that many on this site come from the Southwest suburbs. (I also realized that I'm older than a lot of you).

You may find it amazing, but it is very true that back in the mid 1970's, several of the White Sox players lived at 159th just west of Harlem Ave. in what is now the Orlan Creek townhouses/apartments/condos whatever they are on 159th and Olcott.

In the 70's I was a member of the Sox Supporters, a fan group out in the leftfield seats and we got to know quite a few of the players. Jim Kaat, Bucky Dent, Terry Forster and Goose Gossage just to name a few stayed in the apartments there. We would meet up with these guys at Rube's in Harvey and Traverso's in Orland. In fact, in Jim Kaat's book, "Still Pitching", on page 86 Jim mentions the time in 1979 on a Monday off day in early August, Jim arranged for Mamma Traverso to cook up a meal for Thurman Munson. That was the week Thurman was killed in a plane crash.

Hard to believe driving by those apartments today that at one time players lived out this way, it was a different generation.

Different generation, indeed. In 1980 we lived in a townhouse neighborhood in Bolingbrook. Kevin Bell, Rich Wortham, and Mike Proly all lived in townhouses there, though I never had an occasion to talk to them.

It's the same for me -- driving by that modest neighborhood now, it's hard to believe that players lived out that way.

0o0o0
08-11-2006, 01:41 PM

I never knew that. That's like a 30 second drive from my house.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Oak Lawn was also a 'hub' for Sox players in the early 70's. Bill Melton, Ed Herrmann and a few other guys lived in the area of Hawkinson Ford around 95th street in those apartment complexes.

Bart Johnson still lives in Oak Lawn.

Lip

pasquasroachclip
08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I remember back in the early 80s both Mike Squires and Steve Trout lived in the same neighborhood in Crete that I lived in as a kid. During the strike in 81, Squires came out a few times to help coach my little league team (I know, you're happy for me).

jamokes
08-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Hard to believe in today's era of million dollar players, years ago players lived like the average Joe.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Hard to believe in today's era of million dollar players, years ago players lived like the average Joe.Years ago, all but the very top-of-the-heap players had to have jobs over the off-season to make ends meet.

I've posted before that I used to play street baseball with Sherman Lollar's kids in a very working-class neighborhood in LaGrange Park. They used their dad's old, worn-out, too-big equipment. However, we all thought it was extremely cool, because it was old, worn-out, too-big MAJOR LEAGUE equipment.

ewokpelts
08-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Ozzie lived in the Orland Area for a time in the 90's. he was also supposed to have a restaurant built in orland too, but i guess that deal went sour.
Jerry Manuel lived in Orland while he managed the sox. My friend's sister struck out his daughter in softball.

Parrothead
08-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Ozzie lived in the Orland Area for a time in the 90's. he was also supposed to have a restaurant built in orland too, but i guess that deal went sour.
Jerry Manuel lived in Orland while he managed the sox. My friend's sister struck out his daughter in softball.

Ozzie and Schuller had a restaraunt in Oak Forest, Rajun Cajun. They would stop by after some games. They were good guys and they bought many rounds for the customers. It was a good place.:whiner:

soxfan13
08-12-2006, 03:28 PM
I know buehrle lives in Lemont. He shops at the Home Depot I use to work at on 143rd and Bell. Fisk lives out in Homer. In the early to mid 90s a bunch of Sox players lived in the Homer area.

Funny story, that happened to a buddy of mine years ago. He lived in the River City Complex in the south loop. One night he is down in the laundry room minding his own business, when a rolled up pair of socks goes whizzing by his head. He turns to see who threw it and he doesnt see anyone. He goes back to reading his magazine, when BAM, this time he gets hit in the side of the head with a rolled up pair of socks. He looks and no one is there. He puts the magazine down walks over to the doorway when some guy jumps out and screams and scares the **** out of my buddy. My buddy has never talked to this guy in his life but the guy is messing around with him having fun like hes know him for years. They get to talking and my buddy finds out he is some rookie on the White Sox named Scott Radinsky :D: