PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Hire M. Veeck As Promotions Consultant

Wsoxmike59
02-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Tigers Hire Mike Veeck As Promotions Consultant From MSNBC (http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusspt/apmegasports02-19-113055.asp?id=6&spt=MLB)

Leave it to the Sox Brass to let an Inter-Divisional Foe steal a prized "hire" with an outstanding link to the White Sox storied past.

Reinsdorf at times just amazes me at some of the personnel moves he's NOT made. Why did he let Michael Jordan and Carlton Fisk leave Chicago. How could those two guys NOT be given LIFE-TIME jobs within their respective organizations??

Chalk this up to another Chairman Reinsdorf miscue. The Veeck name is 'MAGIC" on the southside and I'm sure bringing the younger Veeck on board would've brought back some long time fans who've been conspicously absent at the ballpark since the latter half of the 1990's!

Daver
02-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
Tigers Hire Mike Veeck As Promotions Consultant From MSNBC (http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusspt/apmegasports02-19-113055.asp?id=6&spt=MLB)

Leave it to the Sox Brass to let an Inter-Divisional Foe steal a prized "hire" with an outstanding link to the White Sox storied past.

Reinsdorf at times just amazes me at some of the personnel moves he's NOT made. Why did he let Michael Jordan and Carlton Fisk leave Chicago. How could those two guys NOT be given LIFE-TIME jobs within their respective organizations??

Chalk this up to another Chairman Reinsdorf miscue. The Veeck name is 'MAGIC" on the southside and I'm sure bringing the younger Veeck on board would've brought back some long time fans who've been conspicously absent at the ballpark since the latter half of the 1990's!

The Tigers also cut their ticket prices across the board,they are desperate to get people into that new ballpark,and they are not going to feild a winning team again this year either.They think the hiring of Mike Veeck will be like getting a chunk of Bill's creatitivty,but they are sadly mistaken.

kermittheefrog
02-20-2002, 09:14 PM

Mike Veeck may have Sox ties but all he did for the D-Rays, is previous employer, is reinforce the idea that they were baseball's laughing stock with stupid promotions no one came to the ballpark for. We have our share of moronic promotions already with Elvis night so I for one am glad we didn't bring in Mike Veeck's bag of tricks that deserve a minor league crowd.

Cheryl
02-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, the plan is working for me--I already was thinking of making it up to Comerica this year, and this cinches it. I loved the total experience at the Saints game I went to, and want to see what Veeck can do in a big league park.

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2002, 01:58 PM
How come it's a bad thing when you hide a bad ballclub behind Ivy on the walls (a Veeck innovation, by the way) and 7th inning stretch celebrity singers, but it's a good thing to hide a bad ballclub behind midgets and beer case stacking contests?

czalgosz
02-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
How come it's a bad thing when you hide a bad ballclub behind Ivy on the walls (a Veeck innovation, by the way) and 7th inning stretch celebrity singers, but it's a good thing to hide a bad ballclub behind midgets and beer case stacking contests?

there's only one thing that brings fans to the South Side, and that's winning baseball. I would take the most boring ad campaign in the world and zero promotions in exchange for a winning team.

ode to veeck
02-21-2002, 07:25 PM
isn't Mike the Veeck son who tried to have a vascectomy give away promotion at his minor league club, until his local season ticket holding catholic bishop intervened?

what'll he think of next

I for one, happen to miss Yago Sangria free seat cushion night (and the one million other promotionals Bill Veeck Jr used to do)

like the night he let the fans vote on the play call with signs from the stands

or the day he said his team was so bad the fans shouldn't have to pay to see 'em and the next games attendees got in for free

while reinsdorf insults the fans with you have to buy multiple ticket packages to see MJ's wizards play or the cross town series or the all-atar game, get a clue JR-

PaleHoseGeorge
02-21-2002, 07:40 PM
Anyone who thinks the Sox can get by without some help in public relations is sadly mistaken. It's a joke that Detroit saw fit to hire him as a consultant while Sox Fans still pine for the days of his father's promotional stunts. An organization that calls its fans "crazy" and "wrong" is in dire need of precisely the sort of help Veeck could provide.

It's worth noting that Reinsdorf and Einhorn both complained about how Veeck, Sr. never gave them a chance to make right after admittedly stumbling early in their relationship with him (the infamous "we're going to build a first-class organization" comment). So here's an opportunity to perhaps finally make right, posthumously, with the dearly-departed old man and his legion of fans--and Detroit hires the kid instead.

Classic White Sox.

Daver
02-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Anyone who thinks the Sox can get by without some help in public relations is sadly mistaken. It's a joke that Detroit saw fit to hire him as a consultant while Sox Fans still pine for the days of his father's promotional stunts. An organization that calls its fans "crazy" and "wrong" is in dire need of precisely the sort of help Veeck could provide.

It's worth noting that Reinsdorf and Einhorn both complained about how Veeck, Sr. never gave them a chance to make right after admittedly stumbling early in their relationship with him (the infamous "we're going to build a first-class organization" comment). So here's an opportunity to perhaps finally make right, posthumously, with the dearly-departed old man and his legion of fans--and Detroit hires the kid instead.

Classic White Sox.

After all this time would you expect any less?

Wsoxmike59
02-23-2002, 07:59 AM
Bill Veeck (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/al100/characters/veeck.html)

Excellent responses from everybody, especially Nellie Fox and OdeToVeeck.

I just saw the opportunity to hire Mike Veeck as a huge chance to right a wrong and heal a wound and riff between the current regime and the last ownership.

And I think the Sox could use a little help at the gate and Veeck might be the man for the job. Rob Gallas to his credit has come up with some pretty decent promotions over the years. One thing I'd like to see more of, is the Sox paying a little more homage to the teams historic past. (I do like the murals and pictures they've added on the pillars and walls in the lower deck in the park)

For example, during the winter of the strike years '94-'95 the Sox cancelled Soxfest. The Cubs went right ahead with theirs bringing back many players from the '69 team. I for one would've loved to have a Soxfest dedicated totally to the teams of my "youth". I thought, why not bring back some guys from '64-'67 like Pizzaro, Peters, Horlen, Nicholson, Ward, etc....

Nellie_Fox
02-24-2002, 02:48 AM
...I for one would've loved to have a Soxfest dedicated totally to the teams of my "youth". I thought, why not bring back some guys from '64-'67 like Pizzaro, Peters, Horlen, Nicholson, Ward, etc....
That would be great,but you simply don't understand. The '69 Cubs are a team that nearly won it all, and has three players in the hall of fame, while a fourth is being unjustly denied his place in Valhalla. The '67 Sox are a team that blew it, and should be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Now do you understand?

Wsoxmike59
02-24-2002, 07:08 AM
NellieFox, with all due respect, I don't see the difference between the '69 Cubs who finished 8 games back and the near miss '64 and '67 Sox teams who aggregately finshed 4 games behind their respective pennant winners.

Granted the '67 Sox let a golden opportunity slip away the last week of the season, but their "near-miss" pennant is no less an accomplishment than the '69 Cubs. Both feats are on equal ground in my book.

Wsoxmike59

Dadawg_77
02-24-2002, 12:29 PM
NellieFox, with all due respect, I don't see the difference between the '69 Cubs who finished 8 games back and the near miss '64 and '67 Sox teams who aggregately finshed 4 games behind their respective pennant winners.

Granted the '67 Sox let a golden opportunity slip away the last week of the season, but their "near-miss" pennant is no less an accomplishment than the '69 Cubs. Both feats are on equal ground in my book.

Wsoxmike59

Welcome to the board Wsoxmike, one thing you should know, is the color that Nillie used is the offical sarcasm color. Any text you see in that color is ment to be taken as a sarcastic statement. Hopefully that clears up what Nellie was trying to say for you.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Welcome to the board Wsoxmike, one thing you should know, is the color that Nillie used is the offical sarcasm color. Any text you see in that color is ment to be taken as a sarcastic statement. Hopefully that clears up what Nellie was trying to say for you.

Isn't it cool having lots of new people on the board? I'm sure lots of people didn't realize Nellie was being sarcastic. Teal is the official sarcasm color around here.

Everybody here agrees 100 percent with you, Wsoxmike. The fact the Chicago media talks up the '69 Flubs while virtually ignoring the '67 Sox is evidence enough of their unwitting bias. This website was largely created as a counterweight to the nonsense every Sox Fan must tolerate from the mainstream sports news sources.

You're amongst friends. Welcome!

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2002, 12:34 AM
Sorry Wsoxmike59. I should have seen your "new member" tag and been more clear that I was being sarcastic. We used to use the "sarcasm on, sarcasm off"method of letting it be known, but a while back the color teal became the official method of being sarcastic.

The fact that the '69 Cubs are diefied in Chicago, with constant reunions and such, while the '67 Sox are completely ignored has always hacked me off. Didn't mean to make you think I was arguing with you.

Wsoxmike59
02-25-2002, 09:31 PM
OK, thanks for clarifying that you guys. I felt like Steve Martin in the movie Roxanne when some one said something sarcastic to him and he responded with..."oh sarcasm.......we don't get that here!" :?:

As far as being a new member, I haven't posted here in quite some time, but have been a follower of WSI since '98 when I was new to the web. But thanks for the welcome just the same.

I post mainly on the WhiteSox.com MB, but am thinking about switching over here as the MB's seem easier to navigate and get around than in years past.

Go Sox!

Homer Simpson: "Free the Springfield Two!!" begging Marge to go bra-less in the Hippie episode