thomas35forever
08-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Welcome back to the Wild Card lead!:D:

Blueprint1
08-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Alright!!!!

infohawk
YES! Whew, for a minute I was afraid we might get dinked to death in the ninth. Way to go Bobby!!!

Gavin
Whew.

slobes
Just keep on winning these series boys.

mcfish
08-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Woohoo! :D:

Great to get a win there when the Yanks just kept battling back like we did last night.

PAPChiSox729
Glad to see us put an end to the ESPN Jenks.

(It's late, cut me some slack)

:wink:

jenn2080
:winner

NDSox12
That's four series wins in a row. Do I hear five?

EDIT: Not counting the Angels game

peeonwrigley
Glorious.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Ozzie won the game in the 1st. He let Vazquez blow away ARod with 1st base open. Then we could pitch around Giambi to get out of it. Way to go Ozzie, and you stuck with Vazquez longer than I would have. OZZZZZZZEERRROOOOOO!!!!!!

palehozenychicty
That's four series wins in a row. Do I hear five?

EDIT: Not counting the Angels game

I'm bout that.

PeoriaSoxFan
4 straight series wins (not counting the 1 gamer vs LA). That is how we did it last year, consistently taking 2 out of 3. We are playing better, that is for sure. Destiny is in our hands. Go Sox. :dtroll:

ChetChat
Hallelujah!

BV2005
08-11-2006, 01:01 AM
wow what a nailbiter. good win.

MrX
Javy didn't have his control tonight but it was still good to see him not have the big inning.

Also good to see two of the whipping boys come up with what turned out to be the deciding run.

Bring on the Kitties!

Frankfan4life
That's four series wins in a row. Do I hear five?Five!

Fake Chet Lemon
If Thome is hurt, he has to sit for a couple of days. If we need constant ground balls hit to 2nd base get Willie Harris back on the roster. Thome can't even get the ball out of the infield, brutal.

CHISOXFAN13
Three very close and fun games.

If we don't catch Detroit, the ALDS is going to be one hell of a series with NY.

PeoriaSoxFan
08-11-2006, 01:02 AM
If Thome is hurt, he has to sit for a couple of days. If we need constant ground balls hit to 2nd base get Willie Harris back on the roster. Thome can't even get the ball out of the infield, brutal.

Who said he was hurt? Say it isn't so.

SoxWillWin
08-11-2006, 01:02 AM
another series win:gulp::bandance::bandance::bandance:

thomas35forever
08-11-2006, 01:03 AM
If we need constant ground balls hit to 2nd base get Willie Harris back on the roster.
Uh-oh. Now you've done it. Wait till bafia reads this. She'll go begging to KW for Willie's roster spot back.

MrX
08-11-2006, 01:03 AM
:gulp: to Ozzie for coming out and finally going off on Eric Cooper

voodoochile
08-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Some might call it ugly.

I just call it winning.

:):supernana:

Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
The sun shine in...

:)

palehozenychicty

He has been ice cold since last Friday....

peeonwrigley
Big ups to the Royals, as well. That sweep of the BoSox could end up huge.

Foulke You
Well, he was nursing the back spasms and a slight wrist injury which kept him out of the KC series. Thome looked effective against Toronto...perhaps he just had a bad series? I'll wait to see what happens against Detroit before assuming the injuries are the cause.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Man that was draining. Great ending though. In an odd way I'm more impressed with Javy tonight than in Toronto. He was sharper against the Jays but he didn't melt down tonight, pitched out of jams.

I'm happy. :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

kwolf68
Still waiting for better pitching, but it battled tonight and got the win...kinda like Game 1....Lets tee it up for Detroit.

Move ahead of the Twins and now 8.5 behind Detroit. We could make things interesting with 3 wins there. Good series,,,ugly as heck except for the final outcome.

thomas35forever
He has been ice cold since last Friday....
AJ's been cold too, but I don't hear people saying he's hurt.

cgaudin
I knew that "Half-game" or "Have 'yer bat ready" Vasquez wouldn't last six innings. He sucked as usual. But I did not expect a win, I'm happily surprised.

HITMEN OF 77
08-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Series after series the Sox keep winning. Detroit may be in trouble, if we can just get a little bit better pitching.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-11-2006, 01:07 AM
AJ's been cold too, but I don't hear people saying he's hurt.

He can get the ball out of the infield though.

SoxSpeed22
That's more like it, making them pay for the errors and getting it done when it counts. The ump was all over the place, but he was all over the place on a consistent basis. :redneck
Also, that had to be the longest 9 inning game ever, lousy walks.

IlliniSox4Life
I am so very tired

cheezheadsoxfan
Also watching A-Rod screw up was fun!:redneck :supernana:

slobes
Five!
I'll second that.

Foulke You
I knew that "Half-game" or "Have 'yer bat ready" Vasquez wouldn't last six innings. He sucked as usual. But I did not expect a win, I'm happily surprised.
I wouldn't say he sucked. He definitely walked the tight rope today but he pitched out of jams when he needed to and his fastball had a ton of life on it today. What ultimately shortened his outing was the fact that he threw so many pitches. The bottom line is, we got the win.:bandance:

peeonwrigley
08-11-2006, 01:08 AM
I bitch about umps a lot, so I must note that Anderson's not called strike 3 led to our winning run.

Fake Chet Lemon
Brandon got out of a big inning at a big time. As for his next inning, the first two outs were awesome!

slobes

I wouldn't say he necessarily "sucked". Sure he threw a lot of pitches for the amount of innings that he threw, but he pitched out of multiple jams, let up 2 runs, and got the win. If he does that every time I'll be thrilled.

FarWestChicago
Who said he was hurt? Say it isn't so.Consider the source of the Cloud. :rolleyes:

cheezheadsoxfan
08-11-2006, 01:09 AM
:gulp: to Ozzie for coming out and finally going off on Eric Cooper

Yes, that was refreshing. Maybe he's gotten past sensitivity and is back to his old self.

MrX
08-11-2006, 01:09 AM
If he was his "usual" self he would have given up 7 runs those first 2 innings.

thomas35forever
08-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Striking out Giambi on three pitches might have given a big boost to his confidence. Otherwise, he could've been done after that inning.

kitekrazy

NO, some Sox fans assume when a player has a bad game that he is hurt. Thome is like every hitter, they slump.

I guess A-Rod is hurt too by those standards

Frankfan4life
What a day! We win, the Bosox, Twins and Yankees lose, and we gain a game on the idle Tigers.

Boy would I like to have a few more days like this!!!

peeonwrigley
08-11-2006, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't say he necessarily "sucked". Sure he threw a lot of pitches for the amount of innings that he threw, but he pitched out of multiple jams, let up 2 runs, and got the win. If he does that every time I'll be thrilled.

I'll be thrilled if he replicates the Toronto performance. I will take tonight's game, though... he got out of jams.

Fake Chet Lemon
Iguchi is starting to heat up, keep it up! I paniced when he went down on the grounder, it looked bad at first.

whitesoxfan
Some might call it ugly.

I just call it winning.

Amen. A win is a win, no matter how you get it.

2 out of 3 against the Bronx Bombers is no easy task. Glad to see we won a very pivotal 3rd game of this series. Let's whup some Tiggers this weekend!

BadBobbyJenks
I cant believe we didnt sweep this series, what a waste yesterday...We are doomed.

I love Javier Vazquez. Gutted it out tonight, Im expecting big things from him down the stretch.

Huge insurance run by BA/Pods and a big series win.

Bring on detroit

kitekrazy
08-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Series after series the Sox keep winning. Detroit may be in trouble, if we can just get a little bit better pitching.

They gaiined a game and a half taking 2/3 from the Yankees.

IA_soxfan
I can't say I expected this game to be on after I got home from work. Was there a rain delay or something? Despite my near heart attack at the end, it was a nice suprise, especially paired with this:
:twinslose

I think its time we had a Red Sox lose tag.

ChiSox4Life
Alright Sox!!! Lets take this right into tomorrow and the Tiger Series!

MrX
08-11-2006, 01:14 AM
I can't say I expected this game to be on after I got home from work. Was there a rain delay or something?
Yep, plus Mussina takes about 10 minutes between pitches

CLR01
08-11-2006, 01:14 AM
He can get the ball out of the infield though.

and he doesn't have the ridiculous shift either. You're right though we might as well bring back Harris. :rolleyes:

whitesoxfan87
08-11-2006, 01:16 AM
entertaining game, now we just need to keep it up

cheeses_h_rice
08-11-2006, 01:16 AM
I was at the game until about 10:45, when I split. I have to say, Vazquez was worse than Steve Trachsel ever was tonight, constantly shaking off AJ, cleaning his cleats, wiping sweat off his face, etc. You could almost feel the rest of the team telling him to speed that **** up. I'm not going to give him too much kudos for tonight; he put so many men on base (did he have a 1-2-3 inning? I don't recall one) and often got gifts from the umps to end innings with the sacks packed. The only thing missing was him getting the L.

OK, enough dark clouding. Kudos to Pods, Dye and Gooch for a solid offensive game tonight, and Bobby for closing it out.

I think the Sox pulled this one off more due to the Yanks' atrocious defense in the Sox's 4-run inning (thanks, Payrod! thanks, Milky!) than anything great they did themselves. Ugly as ****, but a W is a W. I'll take it.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-11-2006, 01:17 AM
[quote=MrX]
Also good to see two of the whipping boys come up with what turned out to be the deciding run.

quote]

Yes, let's drink up to BA & Pods.:gulp:

peeonwrigley
08-11-2006, 01:19 AM
OK, enough dark clouding. Kudos to Pods, Dye and Gooch for a solid offensive game tonight, and Bobby for closing it out.

I think the Sox pulled this one off more due to the Yanks' atrocious defense in the Sox's 4-run inning (thanks, Payrod! thanks, Milky!) than anything great they did themselves. Ugly as ****, but a W is a W. I'll take it.

The Sox still had to make them pay, which they often failed to do during the slump. So props to Cintron and Pods for that.

DickAllen72
08-11-2006, 01:21 AM
The Sox really needed this game tonight. This win was HUGE in the scheme of things. :supernana:

Now they need to sweep the Tigers this weekend and they're right back in the race for the division title. :gulp:

IA_soxfan
08-11-2006, 01:23 AM

You are bringing back memories of Bloated Berman crying during the 8th about how the sox would be losing if not for the yankees making like it was Christmas during the 4th. I don't mind hearing that from a sox fan, but when Berman starts with that schtick its like nails on a chalkboard. Reminded me of his famous "OHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" call from the ALDS last year.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Great win! We should have swept the Yankee scum!

I can hear the Sox fans shout
They said don't come back here Yankees
And if they ever do, they'll need more money
And still the Sox will kick their ass

Pods played great today after a tough few weeks. Vazquez pitches another good game. Kudos to the die hards who stayed through the delay and after midnight to watch Bobby close it out. Speaking of Bobby - hit it

Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain.
Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain.
The dark days are gone, and the bright days are here,
My Sunny one shines so sincere.
Sunny one so true, I love you.

monkeypants
08-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Since I haven't seen it yet, please let me do the honors.

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankeeeeeeeeeees Lose!

Lip Man 1
08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Please clue me in on Eric Cooper's call that got Ozzie tossed. Was the runner safe or out. Was it another call hawk will be pointing to in his future Cooper comments?

Outside of that a badly needed gut check win.

Maybe they can finally take some momentum from one of these games into their next contest. I hope so, this weekend would be a VERY good time to start.

Lip

Chips
08-11-2006, 01:31 AM

kitekrazy
08-11-2006, 01:32 AM
You are bringing back memories of Bloated Berman crying during the 8th about how the sox would be losing if not for the yankees making like it was Christmas during the 4th. I don't mind hearing that from a sox fan, but when Berman starts with that schtick its like nails on a chalkboard. Reminded me of his famous "OHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" call from the ALDS last year.

Unless the world of sports has changed, most teams win because the other team makes mistakes.

cgaudin
08-11-2006, 01:34 AM
I don't want to say this but..... the next three games are freakin' huge. If we get two of three, I'll be very relieved. If we sweep, I'll need a heart transplant. 49 more to go, people. They need 29 out of those to have good shot at the wild card.

TheOldRoman
08-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Please clue me in on Eric Cooper's call that got Ozzie tossed. Was the runner safe or out. Was it another call hawk will be pointing to in his future Cooper comments?

Outside of that a badly needed gut check win.

Maybe they can finally take some momentum from one of these games into their next contest. I hope so, this weekend would be a VERY good time to start.

Lip OK, Jeter on third, Abreu on first, 1 out. Cintron caught an A-Rod pop up in short left, and threw it into Crede. Crede caught it and fired to first, because Abreu ran all the way to second for some reason. Konerko caught the ball, but his foot was off the bag, he then reached his leg back to touch the bag. Abreu slid in (with his legs in a figure 4). His front leg was wide of the bag for sure, and it looked like his back leg may have missed it too. It was a close play, but I think it was the wrong call. Either way, Ozzie let Cooper have it for the crap he put out there the last four games, not just that call.

TheOldRoman
08-11-2006, 01:50 AM
I knew that "Half-game" or "Have 'yer bat ready" Vasquez wouldn't last six innings. He sucked as usual. But I did not expect a win, I'm happily surprised. Um, if you were trying to get the dumbass tag thrown at you, that is a valiant effort. Vazquez did not suck today. Far from it. He got into a lot of trouble, but he got out of it, other than an HGH enhanced homer. He clearly didn't have his best stuff. He let way too many batters get away after going up 0-2 or 1-2. He threw way too many pitches, and it may not have been a quality start, but this was a very good game for him, and it is continued progress. 2 runs a against one of the best lineups in baseball isn't too shabby.
Forget that he only went 5. He battled. The picture of this game for Vazquez was him getting the huge strikeouts: Jeter with 2 on, A-Rod with 2 on, Wilson with 1 on, and HGHambi with the bases loaded. That takes balls, son.

Tragg
08-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Um, if you were trying to get the dumbass tag thrown at you, that is a valiant effort. Vazquez did not suck today. Far from it. He got into a lot of trouble, but he got out of it, other than an HGH enhanced homer. He clearly didn't have his best stuff, and he let way too many batters get way after going up 0-2 or 1-2. He threw way too many pitches, and it may not have been a quality start, but this was a very good game for him, and it is continued progress. 2 runs a against one of the best lineups in baseball isn't too shabby. I agree. He showed guts tonight.

CLR01
OK, Jeter on third, Abreu on first, 1 out. Cintron caught an A-Rod pop up in short left, and threw it into Crede. Crede caught it and fired to first, because Abreu ran all the way to second for some reason. Konerko caught the ball, but his foot was off the bag, he then reached his leg back to touch the bag. Abreu slid in (with his legs in a figure 4). His front leg was wide of the bag for sure, and it looked like his back leg may have missed it too. It was a close play, but I think it was the wrong call. Either way, Ozzie let Cooper have it for the crap he put out there the last four games, not just that call.

Why do I remember him sliding in head first? :?:

MrRoboto83
Great game tonight, glad to see Javier pick up another win, although he got himself in a lot of trouble, he was able to battle out of most of it.

TheOldRoman
08-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Why do I remember him sliding in head first? :?: Umm, I... don't... know?:?:
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember him going back in feet first, with his left leg straight (wide of the bag) and his bent right leg coming in behind it.

MrX
08-11-2006, 01:57 AM
It was feet first

schmitty9800
08-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Umm, I... don't... know?:?:
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember him going back in feet first, with his left leg straight (wide of the bag) and his bent right leg coming in behind it.
That's correct.

The main issue is that Cooper threw Ozzie out right when he got out there. We don't know what was said (obviously Ozzie could've started the conversation with "What was that ****ing bull****?"), but from the way Ozzie heated up after that it would seem that Cooper didn't give him a chance to say his piece.

For the record, I thought he was safe, didn't look like Konerko swiped him before his right foot hit the bag.

Chisox353014
08-11-2006, 02:30 AM

Everything Berman does is like nails on a chalkboard. Seriously ESPN, it's time to put this cow out to pasture.

JB98
08-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Um, if you were trying to get the dumbass tag thrown at you, that is a valiant effort. Vazquez did not suck today. Far from it. He got into a lot of trouble, but he got out of it, other than an HGH enhanced homer. He clearly didn't have his best stuff. He let way too many batters get away after going up 0-2 or 1-2. He threw way too many pitches, and it may not have been a quality start, but this was a very good game for him, and it is continued progress. 2 runs a against one of the best lineups in baseball isn't too shabby.
Forget that he only went 5. He battled. The picture of this game for Vazquez was him getting the huge strikeouts: Jeter with 2 on, A-Rod with 2 on, Wilson with 1 on, and HGHambi with the bases loaded. That takes balls, son.

Roman, you have to remember cgaudin invented the game. Even though he's a noob, you can't argue with him.

Vazquez didn't crack tonight. We need him to pitch deeper into games, but at least he protected the lead. That's a step forward for him. Also, a couple of nice clutch hits for Pods tonight.

I'm satisfied with the two out of three. We stayed a game ahead of the Twins in the loss column, and we picked up two games on the ice-cold Wrong Sox. We're still not playing our best ball, but we're doing a helluva lot better now than we were two weeks ago.

hawkjt
08-11-2006, 02:58 AM
PK did not have to swipe him, it was a force and PK's foot got back on the bag as abreus leg missed the bag.

Cooper was blocked out and had a bad angle. So he blew yet another call. We got lucky and got out of the inning anyway.

Gorman,cooper and co. better not get assigned to the sox again this year.

IronFisk
08-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Had an amazing time! Let's see, I almost catch a bp home run (would have but the tall shmuck in front of me tipped it out). In the rain delay, my son and I play catch on an off-ramp, then we sit in the front row, next to the Sox dugout (had seats in Sec. 136), and proceed to meet Ronald McDonald and Mayor Daley in person (way too easy of a joke - not biting). Then catch a Chevy pride crew shirt (yeah, simple things...), and of course...

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 03:15 AM
I just got back and went through my email. Not a great game, but a great game to win!

I was in the upper deck but right behind first base. Cooper's call was horrible.

TheOldRoman
08-11-2006, 04:04 AM
I just saw the replay of the Cooper play again. Abreu slid to the left of the bag. His right leg was extended, and his left was bent. He slid past the bag, and never touched it with his right leg. His back foot eventually hit the bag, but not before Konerko's foot. You can tell that Abreu's right leg never touched the bag, and that was just from Comcast's bad angle. I would imagine that his right leg was actually a couple of inches from the bag, as Torn said the call looked horrible from the first base line.

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2006, 04:08 AM
I was in the upper deck but right behind first base. Cooper's call was horrible.

Absolutely was! I even saw it from Section 149!

Grzegorz
08-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Vazquez did not suck today. Far from it. He got into a lot of trouble, but he got out of it, other than an HGH enhanced homer. He clearly didn't have his best stuff. He let way too many batters get away after going up 0-2 or 1-2. He threw way too many pitches, and it may not have been a quality start, but this was a very good game for him, and it is continued progress. 2 runs a against one of the best lineups in baseball isn't too shabby.

Another well said... Vasquez battled through the game and this performance should boost his confidence. He wasn't lights out, but he pitched out of jams.

We needed a win and we got a win. Kudos go to Pods for his extra work with Walker and Brian Anderson.

Go get Detroit!

HerzogVon
08-11-2006, 06:19 AM
That's correct.

The main issue is that Cooper threw Ozzie out right when he got out there. We don't know what was said (obviously Ozzie could've started the conversation with "What was that ****ing bull****?"), but from the way Ozzie heated up after that it would seem that Cooper didn't give him a chance to say his piece.

For the record, I thought he was safe, didn't look like Konerko swiped him before his right foot hit the bag.

He was safe. However, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that Ozzie went out there with the express intent of giving Cooper holy excrement for past umpiring atrocities. This is GOOD!!! We need the old Ozzie back just as much as any playing member stepping it up a notch.

Got fire in my belly and fire in my head
Goin' higher and higher, until I'm dead.

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Another well said... Vasquez battled through the game and this performance should boost his confidence. He wasn't lights out, but he pitched out of jams.

We needed a win and we got a win. Kudos go to Pods for his extra work with Walker and Brian Anderson.

Go get Detroit!

I guess he felt good enough about it to be interviewed by Chris Rongey right after the game. I was glad to see that. He struggled (fewest pitches in any inning was 19 in the 5th), and he didn't get a quality start (not enough innings) but he hung in there, held them to just 2, and got the win.

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 08:25 AM
He was safe. However, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that Ozzie went out there with the express intent of giving Cooper holy excrement for past umpiring atrocities. This is GOOD!!! We need the old Ozzie back just as much as any playing member stepping it up a notch.

Got fire in my belly and fire in my head
Goin' higher and higher, until I'm dead.

How exactly do you figure he was safe? The ball beat him to the bag, and he didn't have to be tagged.

stl_sox_fan
08-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Okay this has probably been mentioned several times already, but I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Berman last night. Dude, you are supposed to be impartial. At least try to model yourself after J Buck and have no inflection in your voice calling games. I know Hawk can be labeled a Homer, but his doesn't his paycheck come from the Sox? Berman sounded like he was going to have the Big 'O' on every near hit/near homer. Even on Damon's ground out to end the game, he made the call like it was way closer than it was.
I don't ever recall him being such a local/loyal boy for the Yanks. For Shame!!!

Vazquez showed us that his last start wasn't the norm. Yeah he did pitch out of trouble, but man did he come close to getting smacked around.

Let's take care of Detroit this weekend. I think Sunday's game is considered BIG, so we can assume Freddy will bring his A game right? 4 Series wins in a row. Keep it going!

DeadMoney
08-11-2006, 08:45 AM
How exactly do you figure he was safe? The ball beat him to the bag, and he didn't have to be tagged.

Konerko's foot was not on the base (he needed to take a step back) and it appeared that the foot tagged the base just as Abreau got his hand on. It was real close, could've been called either way.

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Konerko's foot was not on the base (he needed to take a step back) and it appeared that the foot tagged the base just as Abreau got his hand on. It was real close, could've been called either way.

Looked like his foot was on the bag from where I sat (right behind the play, although in the upper deck).

NDSox12
08-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Okay this has probably been mentioned several times already, but I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Berman last night. Dude, you are supposed to be impartial. At least try to model yourself after J Buck and have no inflection in your voice calling games. I know Hawk can be labeled a Homer, but his doesn't his paycheck come from the Sox? Berman sounded like he was going to have the Big 'O' on every near hit/near homer. Even on Damon's ground out to end the game, he made the call like it was way closer than it was.
I don't ever recall him being such a local/loyal boy for the Yanks. For Shame!!!

I watched the Sox broadcast, thank God, so I can't directly comment about last night. BUT... Berman is no Yankees fan. He has admitted on many occassions that he is a life long Red Sox fan. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a national TV broadcaster, you would think he would learn to keep his bias to himself. As the ALDS proved, he's not capable of doing that. I find it hard to believe he would have sounded like a homer for the Yankees though.

itsnotrequired
08-11-2006, 09:00 AM
I like winning the final game of a series.

Sig update time...

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 09:00 AM
I watched the Sox broadcast, thank God, so I can't directly comment about last night. BUT... Berman is no Yankees fan. He has admitted on many occassions that he is a life long Red Sox fan. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a national TV broadcaster, you would think he would learn to keep his bias to himself. As the ALDS proved, he's not capable of doing that. I find it hard to believe he would have sounded like a homer for the Yankees though.

Why? They are one of the favored few of the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

DeadMoney
08-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Looked like his foot was on the bag from where I sat (right behind the play, although in the upper deck).

Well, it eventually was, but it wasn't when he caught the ball. He had to take a step back before his foot was on the bag, mostly because he was moving toward the bag when the throw was coming in. When he moved his foot back, Abreu's foot veered to the side of the base because Konerko's leg was in the way. Finally, Abreu's hand got to the base, just as Konerko's foot was tagging it. Again, it was a close play, and I think he should've been out (and btw, I don't think Cooper could tell that Konerko's foot wasn't on the base, because Abreu was in the way, so it's a moot point wheter it was or not).

NDSox12
08-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Why? They are one of the favored few of the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

True, certainly a favorite of the network, but Berman wouldn't be much of a Red Sox fan if he were to even hint at rooting for the Yankees....

Then again, you may be on to something.

jdm2662
08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
As for the Abreu/Konerko play, I didn't think it looked obvious as Hawk said it was. I will take Torn's word for it since he had a good view of it in real time. I think Hawk's umping rants are embarassing, so I don't take them seriously.

I will say that both pitchers had a very tight strike zone last night. It made the game harder to watch. It was hard enough with Vasquez's and Mussina's pace. I'm surprised they didn't order a pizza between some pitches. They sure had enough time. They should've gotten a massage as well...

That said, fantastic result. It was very hard to watch, but ugly wins are better than exciting loses.

Now, the real test is how I get by with my five hours of sleep, make it down to the game tonight via train, come home late after the Elvis show, and get up tommorrow for work. All would be worth it with another one for the good guys.:D:

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2003/01/22/ba_davis04.jpg

"Just win baby!"

voodoochile
08-11-2006, 09:45 AM

The only camera angle I saw on relplay seemed to show the hand hitting PK's foot too. I don't know where the feet first stuff is coming from I totally recall it being hands first to the bag.

0o0o0
08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Good win. Huge win. Good and huge win. Nice to see an outing like that from Javy, despite all the walks. They finally seem to have some actual momentum.

:moonwalk:

But damn does this team strike out a lot!

Chip Z'nuff
08-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Its hard to complain about a win, but that game was a disaster.

FarWestChicago
08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Its hard to complain about a win...Evidently it's not. :redneck

Dan Mega
08-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Its hard to complain about a win, but that game was a disaster.

A win is a win is a win is a win is a win....

Should I go on?

Chip Z'nuff
08-11-2006, 12:05 PM
we have youth on our side when facing the yankees, thus we were fresher after the delay. let's hope we get to play them again, in say, October, when they are completely exhausted.

If we play like that tonight we get creamed.