PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo's closing?

Parrothead
08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
According to someone on the White Sox message board Jimbo's is closing. Can anyone confirm? He is the post.
Hey Guys,
Many of you know about Jimbo's Bar (33rd and Princeton). Anyone who has been there has likely had the pleasure of meeting "Jimbo", his fabulous wife Joyce and their sons, enjoyed the company of fellow SOX fans, listened to a classic or two on the old jukebox all while scopingout the photos on the wall.
Well, after 23 years, Jimbo's will be closing, likely October 1.
This is not by choice. Rather, Jimbo is being forced out by a landlord that refuses to renew his lease, at any cost. She says she plans on opening her own restaurant but who knows.
Anyway, since one can't force a landlord to rent to someone, the decision is hers and Jimbo's will go the way of many other neighborhood bars and will do so as this season ends.
If any of you have been there and have a favorite memory from there, please reply to this thread and share it. Some of us who have become part of the Jimbo's family would like to let Joyce and Jimbo know how great the last 23 years (or any part there of) have been and much they will be missed.
GO SOX,

Jerko
08-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Didn't they say the same thing about Puffers??

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67749&highlight=Puffer%27s+closing

What the heck? I don't really go to either place too often, but there's not many neighborhood places left. :whiner:

Parrothead
08-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Didn't they say the same thing about Puffers??

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67749&highlight=Puffer%27s+closing

What the heck? I don't really go to either place too often, but there's not many neighborhood places left. :whiner:

They did. I have no idea if either are going to closed at the end of the year. Personally, I go to Cobblestones the majority of the time so it really don't affect me.

getonbckthr
08-11-2006, 12:21 AM
They did. I have no idea if either are going to closed at the end of the year. Personally, I go to Cobblestones the majority of the time so it really don't affect me.
If they both close it probably will affect you with bigger crowds.

cheeses_h_rice
08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
According to someone on the White Sox message board Jimbo's is closing. Can anyone confirm? He is the post.
Hey Guys,
Many of you know about Jimbo's Bar (33rd and Princeton). Anyone who has been there has likely had the pleasure of meeting "Jimbo", his fabulous wife Joyce and their sons, enjoyed the company of fellow SOX fans, listened to a classic or two on the old jukebox all while scopingout the photos on the wall.
Well, after 23 years, Jimbo's will be closing, likely October 1.
This is not by choice. Rather, Jimbo is being forced out by a landlord that refuses to renew his lease, at any cost. She says she plans on opening her own restaurant but who knows.
Anyway, since one can't force a landlord to rent to someone, the decision is hers and Jimbo's will go the way of many other neighborhood bars and will do so as this season ends.
If any of you have been there and have a favorite memory from there, please reply to this thread and share it. Some of us who have become part of the Jimbo's family would like to let Joyce and Jimbo know how great the last 23 years (or any part there of) have been and much they will be missed.
GO SOX,

Ah, so many memories of paying $4 for a can of MGD or Old Style for years, only to be turned away each and every time during October 2005, even when after the Sox won the Series there was plenty of space inside.

Sorry, won't miss it.

MUsoxfan
08-11-2006, 01:09 AM
As long as Shinnicks' lives, I'm a happy guy

areilly
08-11-2006, 03:42 AM
If Puffers dies, part of me dies.

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2006, 03:57 AM
I had a good time at Jimbo's before a game a few months ago when my school had a group outing for faculty and staff. It was great to see a ton of co-workers outside of the work setting.

We'll be back on the 23rd of next month for another faculty/staff group outing.

08-11-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm a tailgater so I never really went to any Bridgeport bars, being from Beverly though, I know how it would feel if a good old neighborhood bar closed.

thepaulbowski
08-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Sorry, won't miss it.

I second that.

PatK
08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I went to Jimbo's once. One of the worst experiences ever. So I went again, and it wasn't any better.

I hear people (especially in the media) liken it to being to the Sox fans what Murphy's is to Cubs fans.

That's an insult to Murphy's, and in general, I don't like that place.

Palehose13
08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm a fan of Jimbo's and would not be too happy if this were true. Maybe it's cause I don't live in the city/burbs anymore, but Jimbo's gets me nostalgic when I go to a game even if it is overpriced.

whitesoxwilkes
08-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Ah, so many memories of paying $4 for a can of MGD or Old Style for years, only to be turned away each and every time during October 2005, even when after the Sox won the Series there was plenty of space inside.

Sorry, won't miss it.

:yup:

You got it, Cheeses.

Palehose13
08-11-2006, 09:20 AM
:yup:

You got it, Cheeses.

Meh, you're just still ****ty cause they wouldn't let you stand in the middle of the doorway last year. :wink:

jenn2080
08-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Been to Jimbos once. I didnt like it not to mention the dirty old men who burn holes threw you from staring so hard..the beer in a can is a bit much

cbotnyse
08-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Does everyone know that Jimbo himself is a die hard Cub fan? I always thought that was kinda wierd......Its the only indoor bar I've ever been to where they actually serve a can of beer.

I do wish there were more watering hole options close to the park....and something a step above a full blown dive bar please.

dickallen15
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I used to be a Jimbo's regular, about 6 years ago they doubled the price for a beer, and its really never held the same place in my heart since. To me it went for a neighborhood corner bar, to trying to be like a bar by the Urinal. I too had a very unpleasant experience there last year before Game 2 of the WS. I was going to the game with my dad, and was going to meet him there. I got there and the door was open so I started walking in, when a "bouncer" grabbed my shoulder and asked me where I thought I was going. It was a guy that I have seen and talked to 100 times in my life and I was appalled. I explained to him that I planned on giving his place of business some business, and he told me I would have to wait outside. I have not since and will never step foot in that place again. If the story is true, good riddance.

dickallen15
08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Does everyone know that Jimbo himself is a die hard Cub fan? I always thought that was kinda wierd......Its the only indoor bar I've ever been to where they actually serve a can of beer.

I do wish there were more watering hole options close to the park....and something a step above a full blown dive bar please.

I don't like his bar anymore, and I know Jimbo is a Cubs fan, but he seems like a good guy to me.

cbotnyse
08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I used to be a Jimbo's regular, about 6 years ago they doubled the price for a beer, and its really never held the same place in my heart since. To me it went for a neighborhood corner bar, to trying to be like a bar by the Urinal. I too had a very unpleasant experience there last year before Game 2 of the WS. I was going to the game with my dad, and was going to meet him there. I got there and the door was open so I started walking in, when a "bouncer" grabbed my shoulder and asked me where I thought I was going. It was a guy that I have seen and talked to 100 times in my life and I was appalled. I explained to him that I planned on giving his place of business some business, and he told me I would have to wait outside. I have not since and will never step foot in that place again. If the story is true, good riddance.Thats a very odd story. Why do you think that bouncer acted like that? I'd be very pissed if that happened to me.

dickallen15
08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Thats a very odd story. Why do you think that bouncer acted like that? I'd be very pissed if that happened to me.

He's a guy that has been by the door checking IDs and whatever for years. Evidently the place was too full, although I have seen a lot more people in there than were there when this guy wasn't "guarding" the wide open door that I walked through. I would have had a different reaction had it been handled another way. If he said the fire department was around and they were at the limit or something like that it would have been fine. But he treated me like a criminal. Schaller's or Shinnock's for me now. They both are better bars anyway IMO.

whitesoxwilkes
08-11-2006, 10:35 AM
He's a guy that has been by the door checking IDs and whatever for years. Evidently the place was too full, although I have seen a lot more people in there than were there when this guy wasn't "guarding" the wide open door that I walked through. I would have had a different reaction had it been handled another way. If he said the fire department was around and they were at the limit or something like that it would have been fine. But he treated me like a criminal. Schaller's or Shinnock's for me now. They both are better bars anyway IMO.

Hmmmm. Sounds like a very similar experience to mine (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59037&highlight=%22jimbo%27s%22).

skottyj242
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM

You've never been to Alcock's?

Palehose13
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
You've never been to Alcock's?

Hell, we got a few bars up here that serve canned beer indoors. Especially if it is one of these:

http://www.zianet.com/spencer/schlitz704.jpg http://www.mbcinfo.com/Breweries/Heileman/Blatz_1/Blatz_1_LF.jpg

VA_GoGoSox
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
As long as Shinnicks' lives, I'm a happy guy

A fellow WSIer directed me there last year, and it is definitely my current place of choice for pregaming.:gulp:

itsnotrequired
08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Hell, we got a few bars up here that serve canned beer indoors. Especially if it is one of these:

I've had canned beer at the Shorewood Legion Hall before. Good times.

monkeypants
08-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I could never understand why people go to Jimbos. Why would I want to drink an overpriced crap beer out of a can while it's packed inside and be treated rudely by the front door goons?

Thank god for Puffers.

Viva Medias B's
08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't get there often, but I like to go to Schaller's Pump at 37th and Halsted.

pythons007
08-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Well I have mixed feelings on Jimbo's. One its a small bar and everyone goes there after the game which is just aggrevating to get a beer. However at the beginning of the year I got my girlfriend an autograph from Bobby Jenks (her favorite player) and McCarthy was with him. So that was cool.

dickallen15
08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
If the story is true and Jimbo loses his lease, don't you think he'll find another spot in the area to sell beer for $100 a case?

DumpJerry
08-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Ever since Jimbo's went Hollywood last year, I've stopped going. I stopped going to Puffer's after a fellow WSIer was treated by the staff in the most wrong manner imaginable.

ewokpelts
08-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Ever since Jimbo's went Hollywood last year, I've stopped going. I stopped going to Puffer's after a fellow WSIer was treated by the staff in the most wrong manner imaginable.that's why tailgating is the best option

DumpJerry
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
that's why tailgating is the best option
Not after the game.

ewokpelts
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Not after the game.you can still pound a few beers after the game by your car...or just go home

itsnotrequired
08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
you can still pound a few beers after the game by your car...or just go home

I like having some pounders after the game. When we're at the pdimas tailgate, security usually has to kick us out at the end of the night.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Creatures of the night hate going home. :smile:

Where's is this Shinnicks place?

cbotnyse
08-11-2006, 03:56 PM
You've never been to Alcock's?O yeah, the dive bar to end all dive bars......I checked that place out when I was 18.:redface:
and their annual street party is always fun.

08-11-2006, 04:00 PM

They win you pound, they lose you drive

JohnBasedowYoda
08-11-2006, 04:05 PM
O yeah, the dive bar to end all dive bars......I checked that place out when I was 18.:redface:
and their annual street party is always fun.

How about the 3600 Club?:smile:

MDF3530
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm a tailgater so I never really went to any Bridgeport bars, being from Beverly though, I know how it would feel if a good old neighborhood bar closed.Aww, you still miss Joe Bailly's :D: . Me too :D: .

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Where's is this Shinnicks place?

Shinnick's (http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/barsandclubs/107831,0,1920720.venue?coll=mmx-bars_top_heds) is at 37th & Union. I think we should look into this place as a possible alternative to our former hangout on Halsted.

hawkjt
08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I live on the NW side and of course have been a sox fan forever but I am not a neighborhood guy but I have stopped into Jimbo's a few times.

I have always felt that there has to be someway to come up with a better after game spot than Jimbos. Have never really ventured out much further but with this news, I just think it is a shame that they could not find a way to create an after game spot within walking distance.

I firmly believe the sox are entering a new age of prosperity as a franchise. Reinsdorf will have a payroll as long as the crowds continue to flock to Sox park. I think the sox will continue to draw well for the forseeable future with a competitive team. The neighborhood to the east and north and west of the park continue to build and prosper.

I was at Coors Field a few years ago and was impressed by the large brewpubs that bordered the park which was built in a industrial area. I know I am dreaming but I would love a place like that within walking distance of sox park - big, with an open air garden with tables, baseball oriented, year around appeal sports bar.

I have friends come in for sox games from out of state and we have been to jimbos but I would love to have an alternative. Now with jimbos out - not sure what will replace it.

Reinsdorf should build it himself on one of the parking lot corners. These crowds are not going away. Someone should cash in.

whitesoxwilkes
08-11-2006, 06:44 PM
I have friends come in for sox games from out of state and we have been to jimbos but I would love to have an alternative. Now with jimbos out - not sure what will replace it.

Reinsdorf should build it himself on one of the parking lot corners. These crowds are not going away. Someone should cash in.

Catcher's Inn
Redwood
First Base
Shinnick's
Cobblestones

All have that Jimbo's dive-bar feel without his Wrigleyville prices.

ewokpelts
08-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I live on the NW side and of course have been a sox fan forever but I am not a neighborhood guy but I have stopped into Jimbo's a few times.

I have always felt that there has to be someway to come up with a better after game spot than Jimbos. Have never really ventured out much further but with this news, I just think it is a shame that they could not find a way to create an after game spot within walking distance.

I firmly believe the sox are entering a new age of prosperity as a franchise. Reinsdorf will have a payroll as long as the crowds continue to flock to Sox park. I think the sox will continue to draw well for the forseeable future with a competitive team. The neighborhood to the east and north and west of the park continue to build and prosper.

I was at Coors Field a few years ago and was impressed by the large brewpubs that bordered the park which was built in a industrial area. I know I am dreaming but I would love a place like that within walking distance of sox park - big, with an open air garden with tables, baseball oriented, year around appeal sports bar.

Reinsdorf should build it himself on one of the parking lot corners. These crowds are not going away. Someone should cash in.there was an idea to convert someof the office space at the cell into mixed use rental space...either for bars, restuarants, or ect to serve the community as well as the sox crowds.
the plan was also to build a grand entrance at 35th and the dan ryan to accomodate not only the office space lost, but also to add new shops/in game hangouts..

This idea was partially inspired by the "hot corner" at miller park, as well as oriole park and pnc park.

Brian26
08-11-2006, 08:25 PM
you can still pound a few beers after the game by your car...

Wow. Just, wow.:o:

ewokpelts
08-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Wow. Just, wow.:o:
WOT?

santo=dorf
08-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Schaller's or Shinnick's for me now. They both are better bars anyway IMO.
:thumbsup:
It's like you're almost part of my family now.

Cat Thief
08-12-2006, 03:39 AM
**** Jimbo's and their $4 cans. Go to the VFW or Redwood on Wallace! Better yet just tailgate!

Deuce
08-12-2006, 07:57 AM

Sorry, won't miss it.:woo-woo

"I woo-woo-ill miss Jimbos. They let woo-woo me in during the playoffs and let me mooch beers off of woo-woo the people there, while turning a-woo-woo-way respectable Sox fans."

tony1972
08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Punchinello's on 31st is a good spot with an outdoor patio area in back. (but is it closed Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays)

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Punchinello's on 31st is a good spot with an outdoor patio area in back. (but is it closed Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays)

I've heard that they don't treat you well if you're not ritzy there and don't welcome new people...Is this true?

Brian26
08-13-2006, 11:07 AM
WOT?

Of course you're not driving, right?

peeonwrigley
08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I've heard that they don't treat you well if you're not ritzy there and don't welcome new people...Is this true?

Not from my experience. I went before the Friday night Twins game in April. Wasn't much of a crowd there, but they treated us nicely.

ewokpelts
08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Of course you're not driving, right?i take the green limosine

tony1972
08-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Not at all. One part is a full service restaurant with a big screen of the Sox games (they have an excellent menu) and the other part is a bar with a dance floor.

Outside is a patio. I have always been treated well there and was not a regular until 2004.

It does seem to have less neighborhood people though and I see fans from opponents more often than other bars such as Jimbo's or Puffers...(still about 85% Sox fans though).

Give it a try one Friday or Saturday..

cbotnyse
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I've heard that they don't treat you well if you're not ritzy there and don't welcome new people...Is this true?They welcome new people there, but usually 90% of the people in there will know, or be related ito each other in some way. I was there for an ALCS game, it was a great tme.

wdelaney72
08-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Shinnick's (http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/barsandclubs/107831,0,1920720.venue?coll=mmx-bars_top_heds) is at 37th & Union. I think we should look into this place as a possible alternative to our former hangout on Halsted.

Man, it sounds like this bar-that-shall-remain-nameless really screwed up. Last year you guys, were giving it A LOT of publicity on these boards. I couldn't make it last year, but this year, I had planned on going to one of the local bars for one of the road playoff games. I guess I new hangout will have to be discovered.

I've never been to Jimbo's. I've heard he's a really nice guy, but last year, letting Ronnie Woo Woo in the bar really rubbed me the wrong way. That's just asking for problems.

skottyj242
08-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I just talked to Jimbo's nephew and he said that he hasn't heard anything abou it.

Save McCuddy's
08-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Sorry, won't miss it.

No love lost for me either. That hole was anonymous for many years until Big Jim and Jerry tore down my beloved McCuddy's.

Save McCuddy's
08-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Man, it sounds like this bar-that-shall-remain-nameless really screwed up. Last year you guys, were giving it A LOT of publicity on these boards. I couldn't make it last year, but this year, I had planned on going to one of the local bars for one of the road playoff games. I guess I new hangout will have to be discovered.

I've never been to Jimbo's. I've heard he's a really nice guy, but last year, letting Ronnie Woo Woo in the bar really rubbed me the wrong way. That's just asking for problems.

Not only does he invite the Woo into the bar, but I remember him bragging to me in '96 that he ran ads in the Cleveland papers that their fans would be welcome at Jimbo's (corner of 33rd and Princeton). Attendance at Comiskey lagged that year and as I'm sure many of you can remember the home games against the Indians felt like road games. At any rate, Jimbo saw a business opportunity and took it.

ChiSoxGirl
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM

The "bar that shall remain nameless" is Puffer's, and yes they screwed up royally. I was the personal and only recipient of extremely poor, disrespectful, and hurtful treatment by one of the bartenders/sister of the owner and after that horrible incident, I have vowed to not patronize their establishment anymore. We did give Puffer's a lot of publicity last year and half of this year because it was warranted- it was a great place to go after games and to watch games. Now if it closes like it has been rumored, it'll be fine with me.

Cat Thief
08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Not only does he invite the Woo into the bar, but I remember him bragging to me in '96 that he ran ads in the Cleveland papers that their fans would be welcome at Jimbo's (corner of 33rd and Princeton). Attendance at Comiskey lagged that year and as I'm sure many of you can remember the home games against the Indians felt like road games. At any rate, Jimbo saw a business opportunity and took it.

I thought the White Sox organization ran those ads. Letting Indian fans know there were plenty of tix available.

Andy T Clown
08-14-2006, 10:46 PM
If Jimbo gets squeezed out, I wouldn't be suprised to see the new McCuddy's move in. They have been looking to reopen for years.

OshkoshWIsoxfan
09-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and found nothing. http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060928&content_id=1687998&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnered=rss_cws

INSox56
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Old news...all the chicago papers reported it a while ago. But being in WI, I can understand

October26
09-28-2006, 09:36 PM
:(:

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2006, 09:39 PM
You did a search??? *** did you search for?

Maybe if you'd searched for, oh, I don't know, maybe "Jimbo + closing" you might have found this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76907&highlight=jimbo+closing).

OshkoshWIsoxfan
09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I just wanted to make sure. First I heard of it, but sad non the less :(:

cbotnyse
09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78321&highlight=jimbos

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78009&highlight=jimbos

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76907&highlight=jimbos

I found 3 threads on it....and I dont think many people around here are gonna miss it all that much.

OshkoshWIsoxfan
09-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Maybe if you'd searched for, oh, I don't know, maybe "Jimbo + closing" you might have found this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76907&highlight=jimbo+closing).

Sorry, I just searched for jimbos.... NM, I guess I messed up, just did another one, and there it was...

SouthSide_HitMen
09-28-2006, 09:44 PM

McCuddy's closing was sad.

Jimbo's OTOH, meh (especially in its current state).

It is sad that over 1,000 bars have closed in Chicago over the past 17 years.

:welcome:

BeviBall!
09-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Didn't care the first 80 threads... don't care now.

Brian26
09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and found nothing. http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060928&content_id=1687998&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnered=rss_cws

Hahaha. My thoughts exactly. His dog must have eaten the search results.

Brian26
09-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I found 3 threads on it....and I dont think many people around here are gonna miss it all that much.

Put a coffee house over there or something. It wouldn't be so bad to have a nice place to get a hot chocolate or cup of coffee before cold April and May games.

0o0o0
09-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Wow, rough first day for the new guy. :D:

cbotnyse
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Put a coffee house over there or something. It wouldn't be so bad to have a nice place to get a hot chocolate or cup of coffee before cold April and May games.not a bad idea. I hope something goes up. There is nothing north of the park until you get to at least 31st St.

The Dude
09-28-2006, 11:38 PM
McCuddy's closing was sad.

Jimbo's OTOH, meh (especially in its current state).

It is sad that over 1,000 bars have closed in Chicago over the past 17 years.

Thank your boy for that!:rolleyes:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Thank your boy for that!:rolleyes:

My boy - what were you smoking tonight? :cool:

The Dude
09-28-2006, 11:59 PM
My boy - what were you smoking tonight? :cool:

You know I meant teal!

StillMissOzzie
09-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Old news...all the chicago papers reported it a while ago. But being in WI, I can understand

Cut Oshkosh some slack. It was a "fresh" story in today's Sun-Times because the lease officially expires Saturday, 9/30/06. Apparently, that's when the legal head-butting begins.

SMO
:gulp:

soxfan80
09-29-2006, 09:51 AM
The cub times article states that jimbo got over 165 signatures.
I guess that's how many people like paying $4 for a can of old style.

Hangar18
09-29-2006, 09:57 AM
I thought the White Sox organization ran those ads. Letting Indian fans know there were plenty of tix available.

Thats exactly right. That was a Jerry Reinsdorf Production. SOX attendance slipped terribly in 95, and during all the Indians games, we were overrun in our own park. I remember the park ROARING after a SOX reliever gave up a couple of big hits, and the pitcher being taken out, and SS Ozzie Guillen looking up at the crowd, glaring, and shaking his head.

Needless to say, that wasnt a good business decision

Hangar18
09-29-2006, 10:10 AM
.....and its not Jimbo thats the Cub fan, its his son. I remember him wearing cub crap during the games, and fans making comments. Jimbo made him stop wearing the stuff

soxfan80
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Jimbo's is a tennant. The landlord has the right to NOT renew the lease. Regardless of my feelings about the place, the law is the law. Landlord has the right to do whatever they want with thier property.

Hangar18
09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Jimbo's is a tennant. The landlord has the right to NOT renew the lease. Regardless of my feelings about the place, the law is the law. Landlord has the right to do whatever they want with thier property.

YES. Jimbo should've seen that coming. hes only renting, and the people who own that little restaurant in back saw the Big Dollars and im sure immediately thought of wrigleyville and want a piece of the action. Jimbo shouldve looked for an alternate space a while ago, because this happens in real estate all the time. Yeah, there are other bars in the area, but theyre all a good distance away from the park :angry:

Jerko
09-29-2006, 10:31 AM
IIRC, the owners of the building Jimbo's is in used to own what is now "Freddie's" on 31st and Union (used to be called Laura's back then). I could see them opening something up where Jimbo's is, which is what's really pissing Jimbo off.

Hangar18
09-29-2006, 10:43 AM
IIRC, the owners of the building Jimbo's is in used to own what is now "Freddie's" on 31st and Union (used to be called Laura's back then). I could see them opening something up where Jimbo's is, which is what's really pissing Jimbo off.

anyone remember a place on Sheffield called Redmonds? same thing happened there, but lucky for them, they were able to relocate to like sheffield near newport I think.

soxfan80
09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
IIRC, the owners of the building Jimbo's is in used to own what is now "Freddie's" on 31st and Union (used to be called Laura's back then). I could see them opening something up where Jimbo's is, which is what's really pissing Jimbo off.oh well....he can find someplace else to peddle $4 old styles

Cat Thief
09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
.....and its not Jimbo thats the Cub fan, its his son. I remember him wearing cub crap during the games, and fans making comments. Jimbo made him stop wearing the stuff

Not true. Jimbo is also a Cub fan.

cbotnyse
09-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Not true. Jimbo is also a Cub fan.I agree, I am fairly certain he is a Cub fan.

kittle42
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Who cares whther Jimbo, his son, or anyone else is a Cub or Sox fan? It doesn't stop the place from being an overpriced pit of a dive.

cbotnyse
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Who cares whther Jimbo, his son, or anyone else is a Cub or Sox fan? It doesn't stop the place from being an overpriced pit of a dive.this is true.

tony1972
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Jimbo a Cubs fan?

This is ironic..I actually went to a Cubs game in June for work (and we stopped in Hi-Tops)..

2 of the 3 bartenders (college age females) said they were die-hard...Sox fans and did not like the Cubs (and this was across from Wrigley):o:

I asked why they were working at Hi-Tops and they simply said "Money"..

And I was not wearing anything Sox on it nor did I mention I was a Sox fan...

Brian26
09-29-2006, 08:44 PM

That's absolutely correct. And let me add this: Jim and Joyce got over five years of free commercials from Dave Wills on the postgame show. I had never heard of the place before that, and I'm sure a lot of other people hadn't either. I'm sure Willsy got a few meatballs sandwiches comped, but that doesn't even come close to paying for all of that advertising.