PDA

View Full Version : 21st century Sox fans

Mathew
07-30-2001, 04:24 AM
The thing that is hardest to deal with when watching the games this decade of Sox baseball is having to say oh no Leifer's up hope he hits it out. Or Singleton's up hope he fouls at least one off. Or gee hope Canseco's shoes stay on his feet this swing. The Sox have nobody in the line up I want to bat in the situation Nomar had today. We have a bunch of guys I would expect to stike out that hit the occaisional homer. Maggs and Thomas can be those guys but neither is this year. It is difficult when you expect every guy to get out and are surprized when they hit. I wish I expected everyone to hit and got surprized when thy hit a home run.

Clarkdog
07-30-2001, 10:40 AM
I absolutely agree. The Sox roster is filled with power hitters but no contact hitters. Every guy in that lineup is looking to pull the ball. In 2000, the Sox had success because of strong situational hitting, they made contact with men on and shot the ball to opposite fields by going with the pitch. They had thier fair share of home runs, but that was not their only offensive weapon.

Clayton (can you believe that?) and Perry are good situational hitters because they understand that any contact is good with men on.

Chisox353014
07-30-2001, 12:35 PM
The Sox have nobody in the line up I want to bat in the situation Nomar had today.

Well, despite yesterday's game, I think Valentin is clutch. Perry too. But that's about it. Maggs and Carlos have shown flashes of being that kind of hitter but right now they're still inconsistent. Konerko and Singleton swing at the first pitch WAY too often.

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 01:03 PM
Well, despite yesterday's game, I think Valentin is clutch. Perry too. But that's about it. Maggs and Carlos have shown flashes of being that kind of hitter but right now they're still inconsistent. Konerko and Singleton swing at the first pitch WAY too often.

Anybody who doesn't think Manos is a good clutch hitter because of his failure yesterday is silly. Nobody bats 1.000. He has come through far too many times to be dismissed as crappy because of one at bat.

Bmr31
07-30-2001, 01:06 PM
fwc, uninformed might be the better word. silly is more of a personal attact, LOL.

Bmr31
07-30-2001, 01:09 PM
attack, too. lol

Jjav829
07-30-2001, 01:11 PM
Manos is definately the one guy I would want up with the game on the line. He is probably our smartest hitter at the plate. He is the one guy who you would expect not to strikeout in a key situation.

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 01:17 PM
attack, too. lol

Speaking of silly, you can edit your own messages. :)

Bmr31
07-30-2001, 01:18 PM
hey what can i say? Im not a geek...

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 01:27 PM
hey what can i say? Im not a geek...

Just click on the "Edit" button in the lower right of the message. If you click on the quote button next to it when replying to a message it will automatically insert the message to which you are responding in your reply.

sox_fan_4life
07-30-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Just click on the "Edit" button in the lower right of the message. If you click on the quote button next to it when replying to a message it will automatically insert the message to which you are responding in your reply.

Cool. Crap. I learned something today. I was saving that for later.
Thanks a lot FWC, you just ruined my day.

:)

Chisox353014
07-30-2001, 02:03 PM
Anybody who doesn't think Manos is a good clutch hitter because of his failure yesterday is silly. Nobody bats 1.000. He has come through far too many times to be dismissed as crappy because of one at bat.

Oh, I didn't mean it that way at all. If the World Series was on the line Manos is definitely the guy I would want up there with our last bullet. And hey, if I actually did mean it that way you could call me silly all the livelong day and you'd be right! :)

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 02:16 PM
Oh, I didn't mean it that way at all. If the World Series was on the line Manos is definitely the guy I would want up there with our last bullet. And hey, if I actually did mean it that way you could call me silly all the livelong day and you'd be right!

No, you and I were on the same wavelength. There are some who seem ready to write the General off because of that one at bat yesterday.

ode to veeck
07-30-2001, 03:00 PM
We dont have a guy for that bases loaded, game on the line, this guy will get a hit situation Glover was in yesterday!

Manos is our best clutch guy, but his "chutch-ness" has been more spotty of late, and clearly is not the same as late May when JM finally benched Royce and Manos was playing SS & leading off every day. Manos is less effective used in utility position: OF one day, SS, the next, benched too often. This is but one symptom of a more general problem.

JM and KW just don't get it. This team lead the majors in run production last year and the lineups and the management of who's on the roster doesn't reflect any understanding of the dynamics of that, i.e. take a slow, medicore defensive team with great hitting and haphazardly make lineups & roster changes that are incognizant of this formula and you have transformed a very succesful team into a clear second division club that has trouble beating the better teams or finishing games.

I for one, am frustrated sometimes by the loyal dedication of Chi-town's fans, who root for their team through years of inept owneship and management. We have to yell loud and often and get these management gaps addressed sooner (or continue to suffer decades of drought per franchise).

It took NY 1.5 seasons to dump Reeves as footbal coach, while in the same year, we stuck with Wannestadt for five to six years of the worst football imaginable. We need to make noise fast and loud about the current situation with the Sox and get public acclaim to force JR to respond against his wishes or desires.

JM's done a decent job nurturing young pitching talent to blossom, but he and KW have made the Sox a 2nd division club in a hearbeat. It's only a matter of time and more managed losses like yesterday that the key leadership & confidence of guys of Manos, Maggs, Carlos, Frank etc starts to decline, and then we're off to a really bad situation.

Don't let them hide under the smokescreen of the injuries list!!

:firejerry

Jjav829
07-30-2001, 03:06 PM
No, you and I were on the same wavelength. There are some who seem ready to write the General off because of that one at bat yesterday.

FWC, if you are refering to my post yesterday, about Manos not being clutch, I was joking. I said that because Lee, Maggs, and Konerko have all had big hits this year so if they were being written off I figured you might as well right Manos off. But to re-state I was not serious, I was just joking.

Mathew
07-30-2001, 06:20 PM
My original post was not intended to be an attack on Manos but I will reiterate that I don't have enough faith in him this year. Yes he is who I want at the plate, but given the choice I expected Nomar to win that game yesterday, I honestly didn't expect Valentin to win it for us. He is who I thought could but his low average and spot appearances this year make it impossible to expect it any given at bat.