W-S no score in the 4th inning.
McColluch got the start for the 'Hogs.

Kanny leads 2-0 in the 7th.
2-R HR by Cunningham.
Brooks took the hill for the I's.

whitesoxfan
08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Charlotte beat Durham 8-7
Phillips: 5.0 IP, 11 hits, 6 runs (5 earned), 1 BB, 2 K's, 1 HR allowed.
Skrmetta: 1.2 IP, 1 hit, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K's.
Lorraine: 0.0 IP, 1 BB.
Farnsworth (W, 7-3): 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 1 K.
Reynoso: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 1 K.
Logan (S, 8): 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 2 K's.
Smith: 2 for 4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 runs.
Rivera: 2 for 2, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 runs.
Young: 3 for 5, 2 2B's, 2 RBI's, 2 K's.
Fields: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 1 BB, 2 runs, 1 K, 21st SB on the season.
Sweeney: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 2 RBI's, 1 K.
Owens: 2 for 3, 1 RBI.

Birmingham beat Carolina 9-2
Whisler (W, 1-1): 8.0 IP, 5 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's.
West: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 ER, 3 BB's, 0 K's.
Quinn: 2 for 4, 1 HR, 3 RBI's, 2 runs.
Smith: 2 for 4, 2 B's, 2 RBI's.
Lopez: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 run.
Molinga: 1 for 4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 K.
Collaro: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 1 K.
Amador had 2 hits while Getz and Myers each had 1.

Winston-Salem lost to Wilmington 3-1
McCulloch (L, 1-2): 6.0 IP, 4 hits, 3 ER's, 2 BB's, 2 K's, 2 HR's allowed.
Bakker: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 1 K.
Hernandez: 0.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 1 BB, 1 K.
Marshall: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 0 K's.
Roberts: 3 for 4.
Hansen: 2 for 4.
Kelly: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 K.
Lucy, Allen, and Guest each had singles.

Kanny lost to Charleston 8-2
Brooks (L, 8-9): 3.0 IP, 3 hits, 4 runs (0 earned), 2 BB's, 1 K.
Chirino: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 ER's, 2 BB's, 1 K.
Long: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 ER's, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR allowed.
Farfan: 0.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 1 BB, 0 K's.
Wesley: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 0 K's.
Cunningham: 1 for 2, 1 HR, 2 RBI's, 2 BB's, 1 run.
Hernandez: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 1 K.
Orlando: 1 for 4, 1 3B.
Gomes: 1 for 4, 1 run, 1 K.

Bristol's game at Elizabethton was suspended in the 8th with the score tied at 4
Moreno: 6.0 IP, 6 hits, 4 runs (3 earned), 1 BB, 5 K's, 2 HR's allowed.
Texeira: 1.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 1 K.
Inouye: 1 for 3, 1 HR, 2 RBI's, 1 run.
Mead: 2 for 3, 1 RBI.
Espinal: 1 for 3, 1 2B.
Gartrell and Jordan each singled.

Great Falls lost to Billings 7-1
Cassel (L, 3-2): 4.1 IP, 8 hits, 7 ER's, 3 BB's, 2 K's, 1 HR allowed.
Spurgeon: 1.2 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER's, 0 BB's, 0 K's.
Urena: 2.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER's, 1 BB, 1 K.
Shelby: 1 for 3, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 run, 2 K's.
Reves: 2 for 4.
Grace, Sharp, and Tavares each had singles.

California Sox
08-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Impressive start for Whisler. I wonder if his ceiling approaches that of Gio or Lumsden. It'll be interesting to see whether he keeps improving or becomes a sort of a latter day left-handed Danny Wright.

CleeFan101
08-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Impressive start for Whisler. I wonder if his ceiling approaches that of Gio or Lumsden. It'll be interesting to see whether he keeps improving or becomes a sort of a latter day left-handed Danny Wright.

His ceiling is probably above both of them. He has 4 good pitches but going into their minor league careers he was much more raw than those 2. Now it seems he has finally figured things out and is on the fast track to the majors.

rdivaldi
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM

IMO no, Gio and Tyler both have higher ceilings. It's nice to see Wes finally succeeding though.

CleeFan101
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
IMO no, Gio and Tyler both have higher ceilings. It's nice to see Wes finally succeeding though.

You can argue Gio has a higher ceiling but Wes has a much higher ceiling than Lumsden who will probably end up being a RP.

rdivaldi
08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
You can argue Gio has a higher ceiling but Wes has a much higher ceiling than Lumsden who will probably end up being a RP.

I dunno, Tyler throws that fastball in the mid/high 90's pretty smoothly and his offspeed stuff is improving.

CleeFan101
08-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I dunno, Tyler throws that fastball in the mid/high 90's pretty smoothly and his offspeed stuff is improving.

He really is a 2 pitch pitcher though... his other stuff are crap right now which makes me think he will be a bullpen guy more than a starter.

rdivaldi
08-11-2006, 08:29 PM
He really is a 2 pitch pitcher though... his other stuff are crap right now which makes me think he will be a bullpen guy more than a starter.

Yeah, I guess. But Tyler should develop another pitch to go with the fastball and slider sooner or later.

Randar68
08-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Tyler has closer/set-up potential.

IF, and it's a HUGE "if", Whisler really does turn the corner and focus on throwing his 3 best pitches for strikes (maybe a 4th on occassion) as opposed to messing around with 5 or 6 pitches, he could be a #2 or 3 starter in the VERY best scenario.

Now, which of these types of pitchers is more valuable to your team is debateable. If Tyler becomes a legit closer and Whisler a #3 (or worse) starter, I think Lumsden may win that argument.

However, if Whisler becomes a #2 starter and Lumsden a Loogy/Set-up guy, you have a whole different argument.

goldglovesox
08-14-2006, 12:40 PM
[quote=Randar68]Tyler has closer/set-up potential.

IF, and it's a HUGE "if", Whisler really does turn the corner and focus on throwing his 3 best pitches for strikes (maybe a 4th on occassion) as opposed to messing around with 5 or 6 pitches, he could be a #2 or 3 starter in the VERY best scenario.

Where are you getting that he threw 5 or 6 pitches? He doesnt "mess around with 5 or 6 pitches. The WhiteSox do not like to let a pitcher play around with pitches b/c then they get away from their fastball and stop attacking hitters. Wes throws a two seamer to both sides of the plate. That will run in on lefties and away from righties. He has a slider and a change but it is his two seamer that is so hard to hit. The reason he has struggled is that he has a hard time controlling the two seamer to lefties. He gets righties out an two or three pitches and lefties take him deep into counts because he has trouble keeping the two seamer on the inner half of the plate. He is learning how to work both sides of the plate. He has the best stuff on the Winston-Salem staff. It just took him a while to learn how to attack both sides of the plate. But trust me he does not mess around with 5 or 6 pitches that has not hindered his development. His problem has been his ability to attack the zone vs lefties.

maurice
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
He has the best stuff on the Winston-Salem staff.

I don't intend to jump on you for acting like a stereotypical know-it-all newbie poster. It's possible that you know what you're talking about . . . but a comment like this hurts your credibility.

Randar68
08-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Where are you getting that he threw 5 or 6 pitches?

When I watched him on 2 occassions with Kannapolis he used 5 pitches during the game and I watched him warm up working on a 6th pitch. I had heard he has cut it down to 4 pitches this year, but I have not seen him here in 2006 as I missed him every time I saw W-S play before he was promoted to Birmingham...

He had great stuff when I have seen him but he had no feel for any of his pitches, probably because he tried to use 5 pitches in games as opposed to using 1 or 2 of them to set up a 3rd...

goldglovesox
08-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't intend to jump on you for acting like a stereotypical know-it-all newbie poster. It's possible that you know what you're talking about . . . but a comment like this hurts your credibility.

I dont see you jumping on me but you questioning my credibility might be a little extreme. You should instead ask me what I am basing this on and to that I will answer. I have seen Whisler throw on numerous occasions and have sat behind the dish. Now I said he had the best pure stuff of the original five starters in W/S. I say original now that all the starters are gone except Torres. But I draw this conclusion based on watching him warm up and seeing what types of swings hitters take on him. Now stuff and results are two different things and just because stuff is there results might not be due to poor command. But you can tell how hard he is to hit based on the swings he gets. And not too many hitters lock in on Wes. So I will again say at risk of my credibility Whisler has the best stuff of the W/S original staff.

goldglovesox
08-14-2006, 11:40 PM
When I watched him on 2 occassions with Kannapolis he used 5 pitches during the game and I watched him warm up working on a 6th pitch. I had heard he has cut it down to 4 pitches this year, but I have not seen him here in 2006 as I missed him every time I saw W-S play before he was promoted to Birmingham...

He had great stuff when I have seen him but he had no feel for any of his pitches, probably because he tried to use 5 pitches in games as opposed to using 1 or 2 of them to set up a 3rd...

Not trying to call you out or anything really I'm not but what were the 5 pitches you saw him throwing do you remember?

Randar68
08-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Not trying to call you out or anything really I'm not but what were the 5 pitches you saw him throwing do you remember?

I have them written down at home but I just moved this past weekend and have no idea what boxes my notes are in...

If I come across the box this weekend, I'll post what I have written down.

2-seam Fastball - 4-seam fastabll-slider-change-curve and was working on a splitter is what I recall off the top of my head, but I'll see if I can find my notes.

CleeFan101
08-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I think I read somewhere he has cut it down to mainly only using 4 pitches. He is one of my favorite prospects and it really seems he has turned the corner this season.

maurice
08-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Now I said he had the best pure stuff of the original five starters in W/S.

No, you said that he "has the best stuff on the Winston-Salem staff." You made a mistake. **** happens. Admit it and move on. You kill your credibility when you deny things that are readily verifiable.

We welcome insights from anybody who has seen these guys play or spoke to them or spoke to Sox officials about them . . . but, as you've seen, it would be a huge mistake to assume that you're the only one and that everybody else is talking out of their ass.

CleeFan101
08-15-2006, 02:09 PM
No, you said that he "has the best stuff on the Winston-Salem staff." You made a mistake. **** happens. Admit it and move on. You kill your credibility when you deny things that are readily verifiable.

We welcome insights from anybody who has seen these guys play or spoke to them or spoke to Sox officials about them . . . but, as you've seen, it would be a huge mistake to assume that you're the only one and that everybody else is talking out of their ass.

It was a simple mistake he has only been promoted rather recently and it doesnt change the fact from what he obviously meant. Stop being an ass and nitpicking over small details. It doesnt ruin his credibility at all.

maurice
08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your brilliant response. Your name-calling has shown me the error of my ways. :rolleyes:

Aren't you the guy who was complaining that you never see Sox prospects, because all of their games are sooo far away?

CleeFan101
08-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your brilliant response. Your name-calling has shown me the error of my ways.
:rolleyes:

except that shouldnt be in teal.

maurice
08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
except that shouldnt be in teal.

No doubt. The CORRECT way to post is to blatantly violate the rules of conduct for no apparent reason.

CleeFan101
08-15-2006, 04:13 PM
No doubt. The CORRECT way to post is to blatantly violate the rules of conduct for no apparent reason.

Why because you were being an ass to a guy who made a simple mistake. It was obvious he either knew a lot about Whisler or saw him pitch from his post. And than he says something that was obviously a mistype and you say he loses all credibility. Whether he knew Whisler wasnt still on the Warthogs roster or not it was obvious he knew a lot about him.

maurice
08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Apparently word has spread that this is the least-moderated forum at WSI. It's quickly becoming a troll-magnet. Have fun on my ignore list with the rest of the kindergartners. I'll stick to posts from guys who have something of substance to contribute, instead of random bitching and moaning.

goldglovesox
08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
ok hang on hang on are you correcting me b/c he is no longer on the w/s roster? Well it would be hard for me to comment on anything in Birmingham b/c I have not seen them perform beyond spring training nor can I compare Wes to them since he has only had a few starts in the 'Ham. So the whole reason you called me out was b/c Wes is no longer on the W/S staff. If so I feel like i have suddenly been swept into a time warp to second grade where a cub fan classmate told on me b/c I didnt dot an "i".

CleeFan101
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah he calls me a troll and accuses me of random bitching when if anything he is the one guilty of that.... and I dont know how anything I posted constitutes as trolling.

maurice
08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
You must have failed 2nd grade if you don't know the difference between past and present tense. You have very little credibility when you don't even know the team for which he plays; or, alternatively, you know the correct team, make a mistake, lie about making a mistake, and cry when you're called on it.

I named this thread "8/10 Games," not "off-topic bitching and moaning." That's okay. There's plenty of room on my ignore list for whiners like you who only pretend to know what they're talking about.

CleeFan101
08-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Even though you "ignored" I think the only person that has lot any credibility in this thread is Maurice....