PDA

View Full Version : Sox on ESPN HD

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 05:33 PM
This didn't seem to fit anywhere else, but everytime they showed that panoramic view of the Cell on ESPN HD, it brought a lump to my and the Mr.'s throats.

BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL!

ChiSox4Life
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Well I live in Northwest Ohio and for some reason we get the blackout for the white sox games when they are on ESPN... I never have understood that. They must expect me to drive to chicago for a sold out game, luckily I purchased MLBTV so atleast I can watch the games on the internet. But yeah I dont know what it is that causes us to play poorly when The sox are on ESPN. Hopefully they turn it around tonight and reverse the ESPN curse!

Taliesinrk
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Well I live in Northwest Ohio and for some reason we get the blackout for the white sox games when they are on ESPN... I never have understood that. They must expect me to drive to chicago for a sold out game, luckily I purchased MLBTV so atleast I can watch the games on the internet. But yeah I dont know what it is that causes us to play poorly when The sox are on ESPN. Hopefully they turn it around tonight and reverse the ESPN curse!

heyhey!!! not too far from go ol' Ft. Wayne.. anyway.. u (as well as myself) get blacked out because you live within the 300 mi. blackout radius. it's dumb

pudge
08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Today's game is also on INHD for those outside of Chicago who want to see it on 1080i. INHD tends to be a little better than even ESPNHD.

Anyone who is a sports fan and refuses to jump on the HD bandwagon (assuming you can afford it) is really missing out IMO.

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Today's game is also on INHD for those outside of Chicago who want to see it on 1080i. INHD tends to be a little better than even ESPNHD.

Anyone who is a sports fan and refuses to jump on the HD bandwagon (assuming you can afford it) is really missing out IMO.
Thanks for the heads-up!

lumpyspun
08-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I have extra innings and HD and I refuse to watch the game on ESPN. But, I did flip over once last night and it was hard to change it back b/c the game looked unreal in HD.

Taliesinrk
08-10-2006, 06:08 PM

no doubt about it. unfortunately i don't have HD; but my neighbor does.. it's amazing

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
My main point was that anyone who saw that game last night on ESPN HD had to be impressed. The Cell looked like The Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz; it was that awesome!

Scottzilla
08-10-2006, 06:15 PM
I have extra innings and HD and I refuse to watch the game on ESPN. But, I did flip over once last night and it was hard to change it back b/c the game looked unreal in HD.

i thought it was supposed to look more real?

I don't get INHD. Wish I did though. espn is lame with only 720p!!!

FielderJones
08-10-2006, 06:54 PM

720p is not necessarily lame. In sports where fast action occurs, sometimes an interlaced scan picture does not look as good as a progressive scan picture. During the panoramic view of the park, sure, more lines means more detail. But watching Joe dive, pick it, and throw will probably look just as good in 720p.

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Lovely. Turned on ESPN HD and the first thing I heard was "Big (****ing) Papi!"

Turned on INHD and they're doing a tribute to Yankee Stadium.

And then I didn't win the ring.

Sox, you'd better win tonight! :angry:

samram
08-10-2006, 09:32 PM

Yeah, HD rules. I watched on ESPNHD last night and tonight I'm watching from a hotel room in Atlanta on ESPN- it's tough to go back.:D:

dademz1
08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
For those who have Dish In Chicago

ESPNHD is now on with the Sox game :)

SoxFan78
08-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Anybody watching on ESPN, how bad was berman? I just saw the highlights of the Sox game on sportscenter and I heard he was announcing. Good thing I had Hawk and DJ on.

davenicholson
08-11-2006, 07:05 AM
i thought it was supposed to look more real?

Unless you have a newer 1080p native display, your TV is almost for sure 720p. In that case, I defy you to tell the difference betweeen a 1080i and 720p broadcast. I have an older (2004) 720p-native DLP, and I've tried switching the output from my cable box between 720p and 1080i--there is no difference that my eyes can detect. If you go to some of the videophile sites and read their boards, some people make the claim that one format is better than the other, but it's all crap in my opinion.

What *is* lame about the games on ESPN-HD (in addition to the announcers!) is the fact that they don't broadcast in 5.1 surround sound.

samram
08-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Unless you have a newer 1080p native display, your TV is almost for sure 720p. In that case, I defy you to tell the difference betweeen a 1080i and 720p broadcast. I have an older (2004) 720p-native DLP, and I've tried switching the output from my cable box between 720p and 1080i--there is no difference that my eyes can detect. If you go to some of the videophile sites and read their boards, some people make the claim that one format is better than the other, but it's all crap in my opinion.

What *is* lame about the games on ESPN-HD (in addition to the announcers!) is the fact that they don't broadcast in 5.1 surround sound.

Agreed on all counts. I have a 720p and I've done the same thing you did with your cable box and there's no difference from my perspective.

Scottzilla
08-11-2006, 10:44 AM

i actually just got a samsung 1080p nothing comes out on 1080p yet though except for blu-ray or hd-dvd, which im not buying til the price comes down quite a bit.

and on a 56" screen the subtle differences between resolutions become more apparent.

Chicken Dinner
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM

Berman in surround is really not necessary. I hope after last nights game that everyone is up to date on all the Red Sox issues bacause that's what they talked about at least half the time.

SoxFan78
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Berman in surround is really not necessary. I hope after last nights game that everyone is up to date on all the Red Sox issues bacause that's what they talked about at least half the time.

I asked earlier on this thread how Berman was during the broadcast? I could just imagine it was all Yanks/Red Sawx talk during the whole game.

Scottzilla
08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
i posted this in another thread about berman last night

"tonights game was just as bad. this time berman apparently tried shoving a hot dog in his mouth while doing the play by play, "blah blah blah gaaahmmchchhchc" then about a minute of silence. I pictured buck martinez trying desperately to get his arms around all of berman to give him the heimlich.

Berman also said i think it was in the 5th or 6th when the sox were up 4-2.
'Hopefully they can put him back on top." Referring to Mussina.
Local sports network indeed."

cleanwsox
08-11-2006, 10:59 AM

I love watching the Sox games I get in INHD, especially yesterday since they had Hawk and DJ and not the Yankee announcers. Only bad part is that Hawk and DJ will be talking about a replay but those watching the game in INHD never get the replay. Or if they put up a stat and Hawk and DJ mention it, you never see the stat they are talking about.

sdman11890
08-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I personally Hate it on ESPN cuz of eithe joe Morgan or John Miller calling Ozzie Guillen: Ozzie Smith, Ozzie Osborne, and something else i can't remember. Also, they don't know the players names. "And theres a ball, hit to third baseman, the THIRDBASEMAN picks it up and throws it to FIRST BASEMAN." Learn their freaking names.

pudge
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Agreed on all counts. I have a 720p and I've done the same thing you did with your cable box and there's no difference from my perspective.

Not to hijack this into a nerdy debate, but I used to think like you guys until I saw some of the INHD games that were running in 1080i. Like a previous poster said, it does not make any difference during action sequences, but still shots with lots of detail seem a tad crisper in 1080i. It could simply be that ESPNHD quality seems to vary from game to game. I remember watching the Sunday night Bears/Atlanta game last season on ESPN and it was one of the most stunning games I've ever seen in HD.

SpartanSoxFan
08-11-2006, 12:27 PM

Do you have Comcast with the Motorola HD Cable box? If you do, you should be able to recieve ESPN-HD broadcasts in Dolby Digital 5.1. You need to connect the box with a Fiber-Optic cable to a compatible Dolby Digital receiver, though.