PDA

View Full Version : Comcast SportsNet to air all-Spanish 5-part Ozzie Guillen documentary

Jnuich
08-10-2006, 02:32 PM
COMCAST SPORTSNET TO TELEVISE FIVE-PART OZZIE GUILLEN
DOCUMENTARY SERIES IN SPANISH

‘A Mi Manera’ (My Way) to debut Sunday, August 20 at 4:30 PM with English Subtitles

Chicago, IL (August 10, 2006) – Comcast SportsNet, the television home of the World Series Champion Chicago White Sox, will provide viewers with a landmark, five-part series entitled A Mi Manera (“My Way”) chronicling the life of Latin baseball icon and 2005 American League Manager of the Year Ozzie Guillen. This groundbreaking documentary, debuting Sunday, August 20 at 4:30 PM, will be featured entirely in Spanish with English subtitles. The announcement was made by James J. Corno, Senior Vice President/General Manager for Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

A Mi Manera, presented by Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana Chevy Dealers and United Auto Insurance Group, will be presented in five half-hour segments over the course of five weeks and will focus on one aspect of Guillen’s life each week. Ranging from Guillen’s family life, to his years as a baseball player then manager, to being a Latin baseball icon, as well as his personal journey facing numerous challenges from his youth in Venezuela to today, A Mi Manera takes viewers inside the life of one of the most popular personalities in baseball today.

“Ozzie Guillen has cemented himself as one of the biggest names in Chicago sports history, so we made it a priority to tell his story showcasing interviews with his family, along with some of the biggest stars in the game today,” said Corno. “With Ozzie’s overall popularity and the tremendous team support of the Latin community in Chicago, it made sense for us to present all five parts entirely in Spanish accompanied with English subtitles.”

Narrated in Spanish by Ozzie’s son, Oney Guillen, A Mi Manera also features interviews with many of the biggest Latin names in the game today including Albert Pujols, Ivan Rodriguez, Johan Santana, Javy Lopez, Moises Alou, Omar Minaya, Jose Guillen, Miguel Cabrera and Carlos Zambrano to name a few. Also interviewed for the five-part special are a number of players and coaches from his current White Sox staff including Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Pablo Ozuna, Sandy Alomar, Alex Cintron, Joey Cora, along with his wife Ibis and three children Ozzie Jr., Oney and Ozney.

Note the following episode-by-episode details for A Mi Manera presented by Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana Chevy Dealers and United Auto Insurance Group premiering Sunday, August 20 at 4:30 PM on Comcast SportsNet:

Episode 1: "A Mi Manera: La Familia Guillen" (My Way: The Guillen Family)
Premieres Sun, Aug. 20 at 4:30 PM (replay at 8:00 PM, additional replays: 8/23 at 10:30 PM, 8/24 at 3:30 PM & 8/26 at 7:00 PM)
Summary: The first episode takes a look back at the history of the Guillen family, including how he and his wife Ibis met and their family life with their three sons. Highlights also include how his family dealt with the challenges of Ozzie being a MLB player (now manager), as well as being a husband and father at the same time.

QUOTES FROM EPISODE 1:
“The only thing I have in my life, the only thing are my three sons…that’s all I have.” - Ozzie Guillen

“Growing up in the Guillen household was a little peculiar…it was constantly filled with a lot of activity.”
- Ozzie Guillen, Jr.

“My dad taught me a lot about baseball, but even more about family.” - Ozney Guillen

“He is the same person whether in Chicago, Japan, China, in front of the cameras or with us.” - Oney Guillen

Episode 2: "A Mi Manera: Ozzie Guillen el Pelotero" (My Way: Ozzie Guillen, the baseball player)
Premieres Sun, Aug. 27 at 4:30 PM (replay at 8:00 PM, additional replays: 8/28 at 10:30 PM & 8/30 at 7:00 PM)
Summary: A profile of Guillen's playing days, including his early days playing ball in his native Venezuela and how he broke into the major leagues. Also, Guillen discusses being traded to the White Sox from San Diego before the start of the 1985 season and winning the American League Rookie of the Year award that same year. Plus, he speaks about his work ethic on how he developed into a three-time American League All-Star and Gold Glove winner in 16 major league seasons.

QUOTE FROM EPISODE 2:
“The saddest moment of my career was not when I retired from baseball, the saddest moment in my career was when I left the Chicago White Sox.” - Ozzie Guillen

Episode 3: "A Mi Manera: Ozzie Guillen el Dirigente" (My Way: Ozzie Guillen, the manager)
Premieres Sun, Sept. 3 at 4:30 PM (replay at 8:00 PM, additional replays: 9/5 at 10:30 PM & 9/9 at 12 NOON)
Summary: A profile of the first Latin born manager to win the World Series. This episode chronicles his start as a third base coach of the Montreal Expos to being a World Series champion third base coach with the 2003 Florida Marlins. Then, his return to the White Sox as manager in 2004 and how he led the team to a World Series title one year later. Discussion also includes the controversy surrounding Guillen’s more outspoken quotes over the past two years.

QUOTES FROM EPISODE 3:
“I’ve always said things the way they should be said”. - Ozzie Guillen

“Ozzie is incredible. I respect him very much for the way he is, not everyone is like that. He says what he needs to say at the moment it needs to be said. If you like it, you like it…if you don’t, you don’t. Not everyone has the courage to do that.” - Jose Contreras

Episode 4: "A Mi Manera: Un icono Latino en Beisbol" (My Way: A Latin icon in Baseball)
Premieres Sun, Sept. 10 at 4:30 PM (replay at 8:00 PM, additional replays: 9/11 at 8:00 PM & 9/17 at 12 NOON)
Summary: Many of the biggest names in baseball comment on how Ozzie Guillen's success as both a player and World Series winning manager have impacted the state of Latinos in Major League Baseball.

QUOTES FROM EPISODE 4:
“Well, my father is a lot calmer than Ozzie. Everyone knows, Ozzie is Ozzie, but honestly, as Latinos, my father and I feel very happy that he won the World Series. Not only for him, but because he’s a Latino manager…a Venezuelan. We’re proud of the job he’s done.” - Moises Alou

“I’ve known Ozzie since he was a player and I’m really happy for him. To me, he’s done something tremendous. He’s dedicated, a great worker and has tremendous passion in all that he does. There is a great sense of pride for us Latinos.” - Omar Minaya

Episode 5: "A Mi Manera: de Venezuela a campeon de Serie Mundial" (My Way: From Venezuela to World Series Champion)
Premieres Sun, Sept. 17 at 2:00 PM (replay at 8:30 PM, additional replays: 9/18 at 11:00 PM & 9/23 at 12 NOON)
Summary: The story of Ozzie Guillen's personal journey, including growing up in Venezuela, moving to the United States to play baseball, becoming a U.S. citizen, making the transition from player to coach to manager, including his many struggles and obstacles he faced along the way.

QUOTE FROM EPISODE 5:
“For me, the most satisfying moment was when we were celebrating the World Series last year in Houston. I stepped back and watched the celebration and saw all my kids enjoying that moment. It was like watching your son graduate and throw his cap in the air.” - Ozzie Guillen

Note: Due to Major League Baseball guidelines regarding use of game footage, A Mi Manera will not be shown outside of Comcast SportsNet Chicago’s regional viewing territory.

Comcast SportsNet currently consists of four regional sports networks servicing the Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, and Northern and Central California television markets. In addition, Comcast SportsNet manages SportsNet New York, which serves the greater New York region. Together, the five networks reach over 22 million households providing local sports coverage to each respective market, including live game action for the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, and Chicago Blackhawks; the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, Washington Wizards, Chicago Bulls, and Sacramento Kings; and MLB’s Philadelphia Phillies, Baltimore Orioles, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, and New York Mets.

####

ewokpelts
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
cool idea....