PDA

View Full Version : Ques-tec

Lip Man 1
08-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Pretty interesting column on Ques-tec, umpires 'squeezing' Sox pitchers and Cooper's reaction to it all.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x10-lad1.htm

Lip

PorkChopExpress
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
K-Will?

Huisj
08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
The thing that's always struck me as odd with QuesTec is that it's not standardized in every park. In my mind, if they're going to use it, they ought to be using it everywhere so that the game is called the same at all stadiums. It doesn't make sense to have it in some places and not in others if it apparently does have that kind of affect on the game. Pitchers have been complaining about how different it makes things for a few years now.

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
K-Will??? :puking:

Other than that, a pretty good article.

mcfish
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
At the very least, at least last night, the umpire did call essentially the same strike zone for both teams. Hawk was complaining all night long, but Randy Johnson wasn't getting the corners either, espeically on high pitches.

Honestly, as long as it is consistent, I don't really care what the zone is. Our guys have to be able to adapt to the game situation.

tebman
08-10-2006, 01:44 PM
At the very least, at least last night, the umpire did call essentially the same strike zone for both teams. Hawk was complaining all night long, but Randy Johnson wasn't getting the corners either, espeically on high pitches.

Honestly, as long as it is consistent, I don't really care what the zone is. Our guys have to be able to adapt to the game situation.
I was at the game last night and noticed that too. The strike zone was teacup-size, but it was consistent for both teams. The problem last night was that the Yankees hit Garland hard when it poured it in the tiny zone, but the Sox didn't do the same with Johnson for the first six innings.

I sat next to an out-of-town Yankee fan who noticed the same thing. "What's wrong with this guy?" he kept saying about Gorman, the HP ump. This QuesTec factor may go a long way to explain why Buehrle has been so hittable this year. I couldn't believe that Buehrle suddenly forgot how to pitch.

PatK
08-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Ques-Tec needs something to monitor it to see how consistantly it calls strikes.

From what I know, the cameras are in a fixed position, which is fine if all players are the same size and stand in the same position in the batter's box.

IMO, it's making umps use a "one size fits all" strike zone.

Earlier this season (and I can't recall the opponent) I remember waist high strikes down the middle being called balls on tall players.

Iwritecode
08-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I was at the game last night and noticed that too. The strike zone was teacup-size, but it was consistent for both teams. The problem last night was that the Yankees hit Garland hard when it poured it in the tiny zone, but the Sox didn't do the same with Johnson for the first six innings.

I sat next to an out-of-town Yankee fan who noticed the same thing. "What's wrong with this guy?" he kept saying about Gorman, the HP ump. This QuesTec factor may go a long way to explain why Buehrle has been so hittable this year. I couldn't believe that Buehrle suddenly forgot how to pitch.

I don't know how many road games he's had in stadiums with QuesTec this year but he's actually been better at home.

Home: 13 games, 89.1 IP, 5-5 record, 4.33 ERA, .254 BAA
Road: 10 games, 62.2 IP, 4-5 record, 5.69 ERA, .329 BAA

He has given up twice as many homeruns and walks at home but has almost 20 more K's. :?:

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Is there a list or does anyone know which parks have it and which ones don't?

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I agree that it ought to be consistent throughout all MLB parks. However, given the fact that ballparks are slightly smaller today than they were 35 years ago, and given that hitters have some obscene advantages over pitchers, MLB ought to raise the mound back up to the same height as it was during the 1960s.

samram
08-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Exactly. I didn't hear Hawk last night, but there were a few pitches I thought the Sox got lucky on (the first pitch from Rivera to Thome was a strike called a ball, etc., not that it mattered). The thing is while counts can certainly get you, I've seen guys make outs on 3-1 as well as 0-2.

Huisj
08-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Why don't they just use ESPN K-zone instead to call balls and strikes?

On a more serious note, does anyone know how K-zone works? Does it use the same sort of system as QuesTec?

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree that it ought to be consistent throughout all MLB parks. However, given the fact that ballparks are slightly smaller today than they were 35 years ago, and given that hitters have some obscene advantages over pitchers, MLB ought to raise the mound back up to the same height as it was during the 1960s.Chicks dig the long ball. So do owners.

FielderJones
08-10-2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.questec.com/q2001/prod_pt.htm

TheKittle
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
The thing that's always struck me as odd with QuesTec is that it's not standardized in every park. In my mind, if they're going to use it, they ought to be using it everywhere so that the game is called the same at all stadiums. It doesn't make sense to have it in some places and not in others if it apparently does have that kind of affect on the game. Pitchers have been complaining about how different it makes things for a few years now.

But not every park is standardize. A ball hit 400ft maybe a HR at some parks but would be an out at others.

RockyMtnSoxFan
08-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I agree that it ought to be consistent throughout all MLB parks. However, given the fact that ballparks are slightly smaller today than they were 35 years ago, and given that hitters have some obscene advantages over pitchers, MLB ought to raise the mound back up to the same height as it was during the 1960s.

Good idea. I've thought the same thing for several years now. Maybe we could get out of the home run/steroids era once and for all.

INSox56
08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I find it funny that it's admittedly fallable. Wonder what those odds are. As far as both pitchers getting pinched...you have to look at styles. If Randy Johnson doesn't get the corners, he really has the speed and stuff to be able to work around that. Garland and Buehrle....not exactly any backup they can fall back on if they're not getting the corners.

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Chicks dig the long ball. So do owners.

I don't - at least not as much as chicks and owners do. :tongue:

Iwritecode
08-10-2006, 04:48 PM
But not every park is standardize. A ball hit 400ft maybe a HR at some parks but would be an out at others.

But the strikezone is supposed to be standard. It's in the rule book.

FielderJones
08-10-2006, 05:20 PM
But the strikezone is supposed to be standard. It's in the rule book.

And herein lies the crux of the matter. If Ques-tec rates a pitch that paints the black a ball, then it blows and should be retired from evaluating umpires. If it rates such a pitch a strike and the umpire calls it a ball, then the umpire blows and should be shipped down to AA to learn the strikezone.

Who watches the watchers? Who is evaluating Ques-tec?

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
And herein lies the crux of the matter. If Ques-tec rates a pitch that paints the black a ball, then it blows and should be retired from evaluating umpires. If it rates such a pitch a strike and the umpire calls it a ball, then the umpire blows and should be shipped down to AA to learn the strikezone.

Who watches the watchers? Who is evaluating Ques-tec?I don't think anyone realistically expects umpires to be machines. They will miss some percentage of close ones. But what you don't want is umpires calling their own strike zones. If an umpire is consistently calling outside pitches strikes and QuesTec can catch and correct that, I'm all for it. But it should also work the other way around. If umpires become so scared to call strikes that the zone shrinks to hanky size, that needs to be corrected just as much. And even more importantly, if an umpire is not calling it consistently, that REALLY needs to be corrected.

Justagirl
08-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't think anyone realistically expects umpires to be machines.
Seriously. Not for another 3-4 at least.