PDA

View Full Version : applause for first hit?


Scottzilla
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I was watching the game on espn yesterday. and after gooch broke up the no hitter the fans woke up. the retard on espn said most of the fans were applauding randy johnson. ***?
now i can see a little ovation for an opposing pitcher if hes taken a no hitter deep into the game on you and its april. but youd have to be on crack to think the fans were applauding johnson last night.

Vernam
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
They were applauding Iguchi, except for scattered Yankee fans. Johnson got booed loudly as he left, in case the crowd's affection for him is in doubt.

Vernam

soxfanaticpaulie
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I was there last night. That was more of a "Thank God the No-no is out..." applause. Finally something to cheer for. Up until that point, all that was happening was an old Randy Johnson no-hitting the White Sox, and Garland getting smacked around the park.

I hate ESPN.

Scottzilla
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
ya but what is driving me crazy is that the espn announcer is so in love with the yankees that he thought that raucous applause was for the visiting teams pitcher?????????????

Oblong
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
What would the situation be if he still had one with 2 outs in the ninth? Do you cheer or boo or what? Normally I would cheer if in that situation but when fighting for a playoff/division title I"m not so sure.

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
ESPN! :angry:

I probably had that game on mute 90% of the time. The other 10% was occupied by me storming around the house screaming about how much I hate ESPN and how much I hate the ****ing Yankees!

My husband is a saint. :smile:

Scottzilla
08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
i would never cheer someone whoopin on my team. i wouldnt cheer brett farve throwing for 10 tds, why would i cheer for a no hitter?

skottyj242
08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I was cheering for both the hit and for Randy.

cbotnyse
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I was cheering for both the hit and for Randy.:?: why?

I cheered my ass off, for one reason...we finally got a hit! And, as I hoped, we finally got under his skin, and he started giving up more walks and hits and we got back in the game.

If RJ actually did pull off a no no, I would have been cheering for him, but cheering for 7 no hit innings against my team, not a chance.

kevingrt
08-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I cheered only about the hit stupid ESPN people and David Haugh wrote about it in the Cubune lambasting Sox fans for giving an ovation.

CRAW
08-10-2006, 12:02 PM
*applause*

"Well, you can cancel the post-game show." :tongue:

kitekrazy
08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I think people should just drive nails through their toes instead of listening to ESPN.

CaptainBallz
08-10-2006, 01:00 PM
That's ridiculous. Why would that even be assumed by those morons? Me and everybody around me was cheering the hit. I could give a rats about his no-no going that deep. It wasn't deep enough to warrant a congratulatory applause for "almost".

Please.:rolleyes:

FARMEO
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I cheered for Iguchi breaking up the no hitter. It was a long fustrating night until then.

Soxfanspcu11
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Everyone I was around was cheering because we broke up the no-hitter.

There were NO kind words for Stinky Johnson. Infact, there were many naughty things being said.

TDog
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I am cheering for the White Sox if I am at the game. If they are down by 7 or 8 with 2 out in the 9th, I'm cheering for the no-hitter to be broken up with hopes of mounting a near-record comeback. I didn't see last night's game, but I followed the results on the Internet and applauded because I wasn't giving up.

I don't applaud pitching performances by opposing players or home runs by opposing players. If an opponent makes a great play and appears to be injured, I will applaud as he is helped off the field, but that's different.

cgaudin
08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
ESPN! :angry:

I probably had that game on mute 90% of the time. The other 10% was occupied by me storming around the house screaming about how much I hate ESPN and how much I hate the ****ing Yankees!

My husband is a saint. :smile:

I wouldn't have minded so much if it was another team or even another pitcher. But, cheese and rice, it was that sap Randy ("Don't talk back to me, alright?) Johnson. I was hoping so badly that we would beat his brains in. I broke a couple of things around the house last nite.

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't have minded so much if it was another team or even another pitcher. But, cheese and rice, it was that sap Randy ("Don't talk back to me, alright?) Johnson. I was hoping so badly that we would beat his brains in. I broke a couple of things around the house last nite.

Well, mixed feelings for me. I loved Randy when he helped the D'Backs win it all in 2001, but there is no doubt that he is a whiny little crybaby.

I just totally hate everything the Yankees, Fox, and ESPN stand for.

hi im skot
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
I love the White Sox, of course, but I also appreciate solid baseball. Had I been at the game last night, my applause would have been for both Gooch and Johnson.

I'll do the same when an opposing player makes an incredible play; sure, it sucks that he kept my team from succeeding, but a great play demands respect.

I figured that if any fans in baseball would respect an opponent's gold glove-caliber play or dominating pitching effort (such as Johnson's last night), it'd be White Sox fans.

Scottzilla
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Im really not saying this to flame anyone but - applauding for both the hit and the almost no hitter sounds just like - I'm a cubs fan and a sox fan.
At least to me it does.

hi im skot
08-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Im really not saying this to flame anyone but - applauding for both the hit and the almost no hitter sounds just like - I'm a cubs fan and a sox fan.
At least to me it does.

I humbly and respectfully disagree.
:smile:

goon
08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Im really not saying this to flame anyone but - applauding for both the hit and the almost no hitter sounds just like - I'm a cubs fan and a sox fan.
At least to me it does.


funny analogy, but a lot of those people are not die-hard sports fans. for instance my mother grew up a cubs fan and while she still likes to see the cubs do well, she has become a sox fan because my dad was raised a sox fan, both my brother and i are sox fans, we have been going to sox games as a family since the opening of the new comiskey...

however, back to the topic, i was at the game last night and i sure as hell wasn't cheering for randy johnson's effort at a no-hitter, i was cheering for iguchi hitting the single. actually at one point in the game i said, "i don't even care if we win, i just don't want to see him get a no-no." wow did i underestimate the sox... again.

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I heard Bernstein and the other morons talking about the Sox "applauding Johnson". Morons. They've never heard sarcastic appause before?

soxfanaticpaulie
08-11-2006, 08:29 AM
ESPN is a joke. The moment (not too long ago, yes it took me that long) that I came to accept that ESPN is nothing more than a LOCAL New York - New England Sports Network, that is simply nationally aired, I became a much happier person.

I have not watched ESPN other than for the score ticker at the bottom if I wanted to know a score for about a month. Ever since I turned the TV on in the morning before going to a Sox game to see if the Tiggers had won the night before just in time to hear king tool Jeff Brantley giving his keys to the second half. He stated that Jim Thome was carrying the team, and that PK and JD really had to step it up in the 2nd half and help him out and produce some offense.... I got really angry...then laughed...then just turned the TV off, looked up the score up on the internet, and left for the game. If Jeff Brantley can make a statement like that, he obviously doesn't watch any baseball (not that it was the first time it was clear to me that none of the ESPN jokers watch any baseball out side of New York-New England).

Scottzilla
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
tonights game was just as bad. this time berman apparently tried shoving a hot dog in his mouth while doing the play by play, "blah blah blah gaaahmmchchhchc" then about a minute of silence. I pictured buck martinez trying desperately to get his arms around all of berman to give him the heimlich.

Berman also said i think it was in the 5th or 6th when the sox were up 4-2.
'Hopefully they can put him back on top." Referring to Mussina.
Local sports network indeed.

Soxfanspcu11
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I have not watched ESPN other than for the score ticker

The thing that I never understood about ESPN's score ticker thingy, is why it is necessary to take 5 ****ing minutes to show EACH game.

Um.................yeah, I don't need to know how each player played in that game, what "amazing" events took place and the stats of the players after the game.

I JUST WANT TO SEE THE SCORE!

If I wanted to read the game recap, I would go online and look more in-depth at the game.

They have gotten better lately, but note to ESPN, JUST SHOW THE ****ING SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!