PDA

View Full Version : I Miss Aaron, Part XXXVIII

brucefan34
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I know there have been a ton of these post, but please induldge me for a moment...

I have been trying to figure out what is missing from the Sox and I realized it 2 nights ago in the first game of the Yankees series.

Paulie hits the homer to tie the game off Rivera in the 9th, as he goes back to the dugout there were high fives and congratulations but they almost seemed "half-assed". Even his curtain call was a bit lackluster. This should be a HUGE turning point!

It was at that moment I knew what was missing...a spark, a fire, a jolt of energy! All of those things were there last year and the one thing that is not here this year is our spark plug Aaron Rowand!

He would be the first guy out of the dugout to meet whoever hit the homer. He'd high-five them, hug them, throw them on his shoulder and carry them back to the dugout! He would have gestured to the crowd to get them excited. If he was not batting or even in the game, he would be at the railing watching, waiting for his chance, chomping at the bit!

That excitement and fire for the game day in and day out is contagious. It effects everyone, pitchers, catchers, infielders, outfielders and coaches and I feel that is the big thing we have been missing. I am not even thinking about his fielding or hitting...just his attitude towards playing the game and the excitement he brought to the clubhouse and dugout.

I guess those are the intangibles that don't show up on the scorecard.

samram
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Excitement and fire, blah blah. The team is plenty intense. They just don't pitch well. It's not that hard to figure out.

jenn2080
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Exhausting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have thought in mid august the Aaron love would have stopped.

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
They just don't pitch well. It's not that hard to figure out.

This is the most concise statement of what's really caused this team to underachieve so far this year.

downstairs
08-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Correct. They don't. Because they don't affect the game.

Good pitching, good hitting, and good defense do.

So you're saying that the FIFTH BEST TEAM IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES, a team .5 games (0 in the loss column) out of a playoff spot in August, doesn't have "excitement and drive"?!?!

Fungo
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
You realize that Konerko's home run only tied the game right? Yes, it was big, but it wasn't the game winning home run. I can't imagine how silly they would all feel to have a big gathering at home plate and have Aaron carry Paulie back to the dugout had they lost the game. We all know how it turned out, but at the time the HR merely tied the game, there was still work to be done. When he went out for the curtain call, I could see he felt uneasy about it. I felt uneasy about it sitting on my couch at home.

Harry Potter
08-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Paging the "This Thread Sucks/Blows" graphic....

downstairs
08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Lemme just say... Geez, don't get me on a roll... but this whole "chemistry, drive, excitement, blah, blah, just wanted it more, blah, blah" argument really irks me.

Do you know how many teams have won World Series with completely acidic, terrible chemistry? Do you know how many last-place teams had a ton of excitement and great chemistry?

Its a bunk argument, get over it!

And even IF it were true, how the heck could a fan even tell? What, can you see lack of excitement on Pod's face? Can you tell Konerko "isn't into it" by the way he stands at first base?

Madvora
08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
You realize that Konerko's home run only tied the game right? Yes, it was big, but it wasn't the game winning home run. I can't imagine how silly they would all feel to have a big gathering at home plate and have Aaron carry Paulie back to the dugout had they lost the game. We all know how it turned out, but at the time the HR merely tied the game, there was still work to be done. When he went out for the curtain call, I could see he felt uneasy about it. I felt uneasy about it sitting on my couch at home.
Great point. I thought about that too when I saw it. Paulie must have been prodded to go out there because I don't think it was warrented at that point. I thought it was a little stupid with the way they've been playing recently.

Britt Burns
08-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I've always wanted to do this!!

:threadsucks

Juice16
08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Exhausting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have thought in mid august the Aaron love would have stopped.

Why can't someone say they miss Aaron? I do. He was one of my favorites like many people. When a team you love passionatley gives you a World Series title, you become attached to the players. I still have a hard time watching the WS dvds because of who is no longer here.

jenn2080
08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Why can't someone say they miss Aaron? I do. He was one of my favorites like many people. When a team you love passionatley gives you a World Series title, you become attached to the players. I still have a hard time watching the WS dvds because of who is no longer here.

I love Aaron. He too was one of my favorites. I am going to see him when they play at Wrigley in a few weeks, but I am so tired of the I miss Aaron, we dont have this, the team is this, Brian Anderson. It is exhausting.

wdelaney72
08-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Say it, just don't post it. It's been done. He's gone. He's not coming back... and he's not the reason why this team isn't in 1st place. That honor belongs to the pitching staff. It's time to move on.

:deadhorse:

salty99
08-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I love Aaron. He too was one of my favorites. I am going to see him when they play at Wrigley in a few weeks, but I am so tired of the I miss Aaron, we dont have this, the team is this, Brian Anderson. It is exhausting.

Jen it seems like you're really exhausted..maybe you should lie down. :cool:

We miss the starters of last year and their loss of velocity more than Aaron.

jenn2080
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Jen it seems like you're really exhausted..maybe you should lie down. :cool:

We miss the starters of last year and their loss of velocity more than Aaron.

:bandance: oh well said :gulp:

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
If you miss AAron, turn on a Phillies game. He's actually not playing that well this year.

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Aaron who?

soxfanatlanta
08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
If you miss him so much, write a country song.

As others have posted, I miss the good pitching much more.

brucefan34
08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Geeez...sorry I said anything!

Just on man's observation.

jdm2662
08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Do you know what I miss?

I miss working five miles away from my house.

I miss not being able to go out every night.

I miss the times where gas was under 1.00 a gallon.

I miss the times where I could sleep until 5PM on Sunday.

I miss the times where I could drink lots of beer and not worrying about a hangover or stomach ache.

I miss the times where I can eat whatever the hell I wanted and not worry about stomach problems. (See a trend here?)

I miss the times where I can decide to go to any game I want the day of it. How dare I have to plan, now!

I miss the times of not paying a mortgage and having lots of excessive cash (not that it didn't have it's own disadvantages).

I miss the times the White Sox starters had more ERAs BELOW 4 than ABOVE 5. :o:

Do you know what I don't miss?

I don't miss excessive baserunning gaffles.

I don't miss lousy reads in the CF.

I don't miss people still complaining about Rowand being gone.

I don't miss people worrying about chemistry. It's fine and dandy everyone likes each other in the clubhouse. It doesn't do any good if you don't execute on the field. It just makes going out more fun.

I liked Rowand as much as the next guy, but he isn't the reason why the Sox aren't cruising. If the Sox's team ERA is actually not closer to 5 than 4, we wouldn't be crying about Rowand. Could you imagine this team's state right now, without Thome and the improved offense? It's mind boggling how crappy this team would be right now. :o:

brucefan34
08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I could go on about the pitching or lack of production in the top of the order but it was just something that I noticed and was wondering if anyone else did.

I am done now.

Now on to start the "I miss Frank" thread

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
I miss the times where I could sleep until 5PM on Sunday.

:o: I would miss that too.

Sox-o-matic
08-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I really miss those 14 consecutive groundballs to short or whatever it was. I truly long for the days I used to throw stuff at the television after Aaron wasted AB after AB following a season that saw him hit .310 with 24 HR's.

DumpJerry
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
I miss Ritchie Allen, Wilbur Wood, Greg Luzinski, Ritchie Zisk, Wilson Alvarez, Alex Fernandez, Jack McDowell, Ed Hermann, Tom Seaver, Brian Downing, Little Louie, Chet Lemon, and many others I cannot think of at this moment.

I don't miss Rowand. His fielding and baserunning sucks.

Corlose 15
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
What this team really needs is the fire and intensity that Lyle Mouton brings to a game.:cool:

salty99
08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I hear Willie Harris is available.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
What this team really needs is the fire and intensity that Lyle Mouton brings to a game.:cool:

Joe Hall, anyone? Anyone?

getonbckthr
08-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I could go on about the pitching or lack of production in the top of the order but it was just something that I noticed and was wondering if anyone else did.

I am done now.

You know what I miss the proper use of teal. All other comments are directed to my sig.

cbotnyse
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
You know what I miss the proper use of teal. All other comments are directed to my sig.I miss Happy Birthday threads. :redneck :happybday :) :gulp:

getonbckthr
08-10-2006, 12:30 PM
I miss Happy Birthday threads. :redneck :happybday :) :gulp:
Thank you it sucks I have to work a 10 hr shift tonight but will most definately make up for it on Friday and Saturday.

DumpJerry
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Can we get D'Angelo Jimenez back?

kitekrazy
08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I miss Carl.

I miss Sosa. Maybe he can bring the magic he failed to produce on the Southside. (We could use a smilie with a crack pipe)

TornLabrum
08-10-2006, 12:47 PM

I am done now.

I miss teal.

Jerko
08-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Correct. They don't. Because they don't affect the game.

Good pitching, good hitting, and good defense do.

So you're saying that the FIFTH BEST TEAM IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES, a team .5 games (0 in the loss column) out of a playoff spot in August, doesn't have "excitement and drive"?!?!

I agree with your point downstairs, but I did have to chuckle a little at your post. Thru June, it was "we have the 2ND best record in baseball", then it went to 3rd, and 4th. Now we're saying "we have the FIFTH BEST record in baseball"....... That said, I still think the Sox have a chance. I know that's a bold statement these days, but I think last night FINALLY woke them up. I hope.

JB98
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
All of Aaron's fire and intensity has sure helped power the Phillies to greatness this year.

Seriously, folks. Aaron is a mediocre player. He's having a subpar year on perhaps the most disappointing team in the National League. From some of the comments I've read and heard, the chemistry is TERRIBLE in the Philadelphia locker room.

As others have pointed out, fire, intensity and enthusiasm are not a problem on the 2006 Sox. If they were, we would not have nearly rallied from seven runs down last night. The real problem is the fact that we were seven runs down in the first place, and that goes back to pitching.

Unless Aaron Rowand can pitch, his presence would do NOTHING to help this team. I repeat, NOTHING.

hawkjt
08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
everybody liked Aaron but lets face it- he is prone to slumping

Since june 11;

Rowands ba= .214
Brians ba= .288

This was going into last nites game.

Aaron had a fast start to his season but he has struggled for two months now. BA struggled early but has been ok for two months now.

BA has to get better at the plate but I like his upside and his defense speaks for itself.

nysox35
08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Can we get D'Angelo Jimenez back?

Bafia, is that you?

Kub_Killer_15
08-10-2006, 04:07 PM
If you miss him then watch this it will bring tears to your eyes....

Linky (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=798020062&n=2)

Credefan21
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
God forbid the guy have an opinion without you guys flaming him. How immature.

Tekijawa
08-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Anyone think Ruffcorn is ready yet? I miss him!

salty99
08-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Anyone think Ruffcorn is ready yet? I miss him!

How about Danny Wright!

thomas35forever
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
:rolleyes:

DickAllen72
08-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I know there have been a ton of these post, but please induldge me for a moment...

I have been trying to figure out what is missing from the Sox and I realized it 2 nights ago in the first game of the Yankees series.

Paulie hits the homer to tie the game off Rivera in the 9th, as he goes back to the dugout there were high fives and congratulations but they almost seemed "half-assed". Even his curtain call was a bit lackluster. This should be a HUGE turning point!

It was at that moment I knew what was missing...a spark, a fire, a jolt of energy! All of those things were there last year and the one thing that is not here this year is our spark plug Aaron Rowand!

He would be the first guy out of the dugout to meet whoever hit the homer. He'd high-five them, hug them, throw them on his shoulder and carry them back to the dugout! He would have gestured to the crowd to get them excited. If he was not batting or even in the game, he would be at the railing watching, waiting for his chance, chomping at the bit!

That excitement and fire for the game day in and day out is contagious. It effects everyone, pitchers, catchers, infielders, outfielders and coaches and I feel that is the big thing we have been missing. I am not even thinking about his fielding or hitting...just his attitude towards playing the game and the excitement he brought to the clubhouse and dugout.

Aaron might have caught that ball Damon hit for a triple in the first inning. just saying.

Kub_Killer_15
08-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Aaron might have caught that ball Damon hit for a triple in the first inning. just saying.

You have to traded talent to get talent so we traded Rowand for Thome and I think we got some good dam talent in Thome! Brian Anderson will shape into a great overall player in a couple years then we will be saying good thing we played him in 2006!

Justagirl
08-10-2006, 05:28 PM
..and even risk breaking his nose catching it :(
Just saying..

Credefan21
08-10-2006, 05:30 PM
It really angers me how some people on this board have a holier than thou attitude. Alot of you act like you are so glad Rowand is gone when you are the same people last year who praised him for everything that he did. Rowand was a great team player and had a great attitude and brought great chemistry to this team. So all of you who decide to open your mouths and flame the guy who misses Rowand, just shut up already.

JB98
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
<Cues up Guns 'N' Roses>

"Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, and I don't know why you've been bringing me down..."

C'mon everybody! You all know the words! Sing it with me!

DumpJerry
08-10-2006, 05:46 PM
No. Just saying.

maurice
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
No. Just saying.

Ya never know. He does play CF almost as deep as Damon, so he'd only need to take a few steps to get there.
:cool:

CLR01
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
It really angers me how some people on this board have a holier than thou attitude. Alot of you act like you are so glad Rowand is gone when you are the same people last year who praised him for everything that he did. Rowand was a great team player and had a great attitude and brought great chemistry to this team. So all of you who decide to open your mouths and flame the guy who misses Rowand, just shut up already.

I have never and will never praise Rowand. I guess that clears me to call him a bum and tell people to move on with their lives already. He's gone and he will never be back.

CLR01
08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
No. Just saying.

If Anderson doesn't catch it Rowand wouldn't have either.

LauraJ14
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM

I happen to agree with you about the holier than thou attitude. I thought we had freedom of speech and could present our opinions. If you don't agree with the opinion well that's life. Don't read the topic and don't treat people like crap if you don't agree with their opinion.
I happen to miss Aaron alot also and while I think Brian will be just fine, I want to win now not 2 or 3 years from now. If Brian could be hitting better we wouldn't have to see Mack in center so much and his butcher of a glove.

ilsox7
08-10-2006, 06:33 PM
I happen to agree with you about the holier than thou attitude. I thought we had freedom of speech and could present our opinions.
I'll withhold comment on the topic at hand, but there is no right to freedom of speech on WSI or 99.9% of the websites out there.

CLR01
08-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I happen to agree with you about the holier than thou attitude. I thought we had freedom of speech and could present our opinions. If you don't agree with the opinion well that's life. Don't read the topic and don't treat people like crap if you don't agree with their opinion.
I happen to miss Aaron alot also and while I think Brian will be just fine, I want to win now not 2 or 3 years from now. If Brian could be hitting better we wouldn't have to see Mack in center so much and his butcher of a glove.

So really the freedom of speech only applies to those who wish to praise Rowand or agree with anything you (that's a non-specific you) happen to say. If you disagree you should just shut up and move on to the next topic.

Chips
08-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I have never and will never praise Rowand. I guess that clears me to call him a bum and tell people to move on with their lives already. He's gone and he will never be back.
Well said.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gifhttp://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gifhttp://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gifhttp://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gifhttp://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gifhttp://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gifhttp://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gif

soxinem1
08-10-2006, 06:48 PM

I agree, and then add this:

I have witnessed Baines (3X), Kittle (3X), Fisk, Dotson (2X), Thomas, Burns, Ventura, and a slew of other players get traded, cut, not resigned, etc. This franchise, except for a select few handfuls, has never been known for longetivity among it's players. Today, that is a reality of every organization.

But this stuff with Rowand is way too far out there. He's basically providing the same production in Philly he did here last year, which was nothing special. He's a decent glove guy, and I will alway remember him for what he provided when he was here, but it is TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!

Credefan21
08-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I'll withhold comment on the topic at hand, but there is no right to freedom of speech on WSI or 99.9% of the websites out there.

Agree to disagree then. So the guy misses Aaron. You all disagree with him. So what, you do not have to single him out and try to make him look like a complete idiot. That is just wrong. He has a different opinion than you.. That is life.. No need to flame the guy and belittle him. I absolutely loathe when people try to make someone look small just because you don't agree with them. THAT is Immature.

kevingrt
08-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Agree to disagree then. So the guy misses Aaron. You all disagree with him. So what, you do not have to single him out and try to make him look like a complete idiot. That is just wrong. He has a different opinion than you.. That is life.. No need to flame the guy and belittle him. I absolutely loathe when people try to make someone look small just because you don't agree with them. THAT is Immature.

Agree

soltrain21
08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think it is so much about him missing Rowand as it is about the fact that it has been said over and over and over again.

hi im skot
08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
If Anderson doesn't catch it Rowand wouldn't have either.
In all fairness, it was Mackowiak.

EDIT: If we're talking about Damon's triple. Otherwise, yes, I totally agree.

Juice16
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM

Well said.

jenn2080
08-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Kind of funny pointing fingers at people here about stuff from last year when you have only been here since May. Anyhow...most love Aaron he was a great guy and a good player and he will be missed. However he is gone we have Thome and Anderson playing center and we are fine. There is no reason to start the I miss Aaron thread for the 5000 time this year

MsSoxVixen22
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Well said! I agree with you 100%! I'm tired of all the Aaron bashing. And god forbid, someone say they miss him and all everyone does is give them a hard time. I miss Aarona and I always will. Anderson will get there but it will take AWHILE

jenn2080
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM

Whoa pumpkin Brian has been hitting pretty well since right before the All Star break. What do you expect him to? Hit 30 HR have over a 100 RBIs and 400 OBP. He is a rookie. Ill wait till next year when you LOVE BA.

DumpJerry
08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
heck, I miss Appling big time.........

Chisox003
08-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Well said! I agree with you 100%! I'm tired of all the Aaron bashing.
Nobody is bashing Rowand directly.

It's the people who are obsessed with bringing him back here that A) get bashed themselves and B) get Rowand caught in the crossfire.

I'm not going through the 5 pages of :whiner: about it (because it's nothing new), but I'm sure it's been said...Anderson blows Rowand away defensively, and where he lacks offensively he still isn't that far behind. Still time to let go....6 months later.

credefan24
08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
heck, I miss Appling big time.........:rolling:

Credefan21
08-12-2006, 12:41 AM
What I said must make at least a bit of sense. Quite a few folks agreed with me.