PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Sox will go on a good run.

junkyarddoug
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Back in June, the Sox were trailing Cleveland 10-2. They scored 6 runs in the ninth to eventually lose 10-8. The Sox then won 18 of the next 23 games. That reminded me of when in 2003, the Sox were leading the Twins big and Jose Paniagua (Joe Bread & water) gave up a ton of runs. The Sox won the game but lost momentum on the season and the lead in the division. I think they finished the year 7-9 and finisihed in 2nd place. In my opinion, this latest comeback will propel the Sox on another good strecth. Thoughts?

sox1970
08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I think if they get good starting pitching every night, they'll go on a good run. If they don't, they be about a .500 team the rest of the year, and they'll end up with 92-94 wins, which will keep them out of the playoffs.

SoxWillWin
08-10-2006, 10:36 AM
I'll leave my optimistic hat on for the next two weeks and say that as long as they don't fall 3 or more games behind minnesota it looks good, but if they start to fall further I'll just have to settle for a season with a winning record.

batmanZoSo
08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Back in June, the Sox were trailing Cleveland 10-2. They scored 6 runs in the ninth to eventually lose 10-8. The Sox then won 18 of the next 23 games. That reminded me of when in 2003, the Sox were leading the Twins big and Jose Paniagua (Joe Bread & water) gave up a ton of runs. The Sox won the game but lost momentum on the season and the lead in the division. I think they finished the year 7-9 and finisihed in 2nd place. In my opinion, this latest comeback will propel the Sox on another good strecth. Thoughts?

Uh, sure, why not?

The Sox could play .750 ball the rest of the way and get homefield or they can finish third.

All I know is that we've already had a few wins here lately which you'd think might be the springboard we need, but it hasn't worked out that way.

The Gload grand slam? Nope.

The Konerko homer off Rivera? Nope. Back to piss poor execution which caused an otherwise great comeback to fall short.

samram
08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Uh, sure, why not?

The Sox could play .750 ball the rest of the way and get homefield or they can finish third.

All I know is that we've already had a few wins here lately which you'd think might be the springboard we need, but it hasn't worked out that way.

The Konerko homer off Rivera? Nope. Back to piss poor execution which caused an otherwise great comeback to fall short.

Also, beating Halladay and Vazquez looking like a major leaguer hasn't led to a string of great play either.

jenn2080
08-10-2006, 10:50 AM
This is what I want. I want for one damn day them to run bases like they are professional baseball players not have someone hit a double and the person that was on base not score I want Pods to stop swinging at ****ty pitches and striking out. I want Juan Uribe to come back and catch a ball and throw it like he knows he could and stop being so ****ing lazy. I want them to get on ****ing base and then score someone ANYONE...not leave bases loaded on a pop up. I want to see one consistant line up for one week...just one, because at this point I dont even know who are starters are anymore. I want to see them bunt and bunt well. I dont think this is to much to ask for.

sox1970
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
This is what I want. I want for one damn day them to run bases like they are professional baseball players not have someone hit a double and the person that was on base not score I want Pods to stop swinging at ****ty pitches and striking out. I want Juan Uribe to come back and catch a ball and throw it like he knows he could and stop being so ****ing lazy. I want them to get on ****ing base and then score someone ANYONE...not leave bases loaded on a pop up. I want to see one consistant line up for one week...just one, because at this point I dont even know who are starters are anymore. I want to see them bunt and bunt well. I dont think this is to much to ask for.

I agree some of the situational hitting has been poor, but that's any team from time to time. Our bread and butter is pitching. If they pitch the way they can, they will get the wildcard.

jenn2080
08-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree some of the situational hitting has been poor, but that's any team from time to time. Our bread and butter is pitching. If they pitch the way they can, they will get the wildcard.

Damn I forgot pitching. How could I forget pitching?!?!? I want to see our pitching make it past the 6th inning without blowing the game. I also do not want to see the Vazquez/Neal Cotts combo anymore.

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Predictions are good but execution is the only thing that matters.

kevingrt
08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Uh, sure, why not?

"piss poor execution" is a big understatement. We just look terrible out there sometimes.

BanditJimmy
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
If Buehrle and Contreras turn it around this 2nd half, we will win the WC.

Contreras is not that off but Buehrle is on a different planet right now.

my5thbench
08-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Buehrle is liable to do some bullpen time soon...who knows perhaps it'll do hom some good

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
The reason the White Sox will make the playoffs is because of a game like last nights. Down 7-0 and being no-hit going into the 7th, they come back and have a chance to win in the 9th. Yes they missed a great opportunity with the bases loaded and no outs, BUT alot of teams would have packed it in, by then and chalked it up as a loss. Thats why I love these guys they keep fighting until they run out of outs and the game is officially over.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
If Buehrle and Contreras turn it around this 2nd half, we will win the WC.

Contreras is not that off but Buehrle is on a different planet right now.

That's a big if.

I do agree though. Wild card easily. Hell, if those 2 pitch like they are capable, the division isn't even out of reach.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
The reason the White Sox will make the playoffs is because of a game like last nights. Down 7-0 and being no-hit going into the 7th, they come back and have a chance to win in the 9th. Yes they missed a great opportunity with the bases loaded and no outs, BUT alot of teams would have packed it in, by then and chalked it up as a loss. Thats why I love these guys they keep fighting until they run out of outs and the game is officially over.

They lost though.

Law11
08-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I predict that there will be a sellout tonight.
I predict I'll have my HD on Channel 200 at 7pm.
I predict I'll swear at least 5 times
I predict I'll be telling hawk to quit whining.
But when its all said and done..

I predict I'll be cheering as Bobby K's A-rod to end it tonight...
ANd I'll be getting a call to claim my new ring..

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
They lost though.

You missed the point then. Yes they lost but they never quit. Have seen plenty of games like last night where teams (including past Sox teams), at that point of the game look like they dont even want to be out there and the final is 7-0 or worse when its all done.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
You missed the point then. Yes they lost but they never quit. Have seen plenty of games like last night where teams (including past Sox teams), at that point of the game look like they dont even want to be out there and the final is 7-0 or worse when its all done.

And I've seen Sox games this year like that. The point is, they didn't play good enough to win. They lost. That's it.

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
And I've seen Sox games this year like that. The point is, they didn't play good enough to win. They lost. That's it.

Ok you have your opinion I have mine. There is a difference between playing well enough to win and just plain quitting. Tell me a game where you saw a Sox team completely shut down and quit? Not a game where they didnt play well enough to win.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Ok you have your opinion I have mine.

:cheers:

RockyMtnSoxFan
08-10-2006, 12:27 PM

I think some of the guys don't quit, but I'm not sure about the whole team. I get the feeling from Crede and Dye that they ALWAYS believe they can come back. It seems like Konerko usually believes, and he tries hard anyway. Thome is just swinging for the fences regardless. Pods? I don't think so. As for the rest of them, I'm not sure whether they believe they can come back when they're in the hole or not, but they don't seem to have the ability to step it up a notch.

batmanZoSo
08-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Ok you have your opinion I have mine. There is a difference between playing well enough to win and just plain quitting. Tell me a game where you saw a Sox team completely shut down and quit? Not a game where they didnt play well enough to win.

It's just hard to acknowledge or appreciate a "nice effort" at this point in time. It's getting late and we need W's, period. Third place with this much talent is unacceptable. This is a World Championship team now and we expect more than this. Sox fans have always expected more than this, long before any World Series.

Bottom line, we lost, but...today is the beginning of the rest of the year.

08-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Well if we win tonight, that will be our 3rd series win in a row....thats a pretty good run right there

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 12:35 PM

They should be expected not to quit.

kitekrazy
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I wonder what Yankee fans were really thinking these past two games. Rivera blows a save, they go from a no hitter to almost a tie and Rivera one bad pitch away from a 2nd blown save.

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 12:45 PM

Yes you dont expect them to quit but alot of teams do including past Sox teams.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2006, 01:00 PM
1917:

4th series win in a row (Balt, K.C.,Tor., Yanks...)

Lip

JB98
08-10-2006, 01:22 PM

You're absolutely right. Given what's at stake, they damn well better not quit. At this point in the season, it's not good enough to say, "Oh, well. At least we tried." We don't need a boost in morale. We need some damn victories. This isn't Little League. You don't get a participation certificate for showing up. The only thing that matters in professional baseball is winning and losing.

Back to the discussion of whether the Sox will go on a run, it depends on Buerhle and Garcia. Both are winless in their last seven starts. Among those 14 outings, only three qualify as a quality start. That's not going to get it done. These are the pitchers who started the first two games of the season for us. We aren't going to make it unless they get on board and start contributing to this team. Thanks to those two idiots, we can't sustain any momentum lately.

We've been counting on Garland to carry this rotation lately, and that's not fair to him. He's been doing a pretty good job, but as we saw last night, he's still a No. 4 starter at the end of the day. He's not good enough to be lights out every freakin' time. Some other pitchers better pull their heads out of their asses and start helping the team.

gn2727
08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
I think some of the guys don't quit, but I'm not sure about the whole team. I get the feeling from Crede and Dye that they ALWAYS believe they can come back. It seems like Konerko usually believes, and he tries hard anyway. Thome is just swinging for the fences regardless. Pods? I don't think so. As for the rest of them, I'm not sure whether they believe they can come back when they're in the hole or not, but they don't seem to have the ability to step it up a notch.

Right, he didn't hit the clutch HR in game 2 of the World Series.

RockyMtnSoxFan
08-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Right, he didn't hit the clutch HR in game 2 of the World Series.

This is not 2005. Just in case you didn't notice. Many things about the Sox are different this year, and Pods is one of them. Has he done anything comparable this year?

batmanZoSo
08-10-2006, 04:37 PM

B&B were on this topic a short while ago.

Just because Farsnworth laid a turd and let us back into the game doesn't mean the team has any more heart than they would have if they'd faced stellar relief pitching and ended up losing 7-0. It doesn't mean they tried harder. It doesn't mean they deserve praise.

The real issue is: why are they down 7-0? And why are they getting no-hit for several innings by a 42 year old has-been? If RJ was that dominant he'd have went a lot longer in the game. You don't just "wake up" when they change pitchers. It's inconsistent B.S. And like no. 2 said, when you load the bases with no outs and don't score, you don't deserve to win.

hawkjt
08-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Since Pablo has returned on july 7 after his injury he is 2-31 at the plate. He was hitting .443 when he got hurt.

He had a pretty much spotless record til then- when he played he did something to help us win(cept for KC) . Since then he has done nothing to help us win.

It is just a small thing but they add up.

With Pods only hitting .250 since july 1, our production out of left has been bad no matter which guy is out there.

AJ is too anxious at the plate always but with the bases loaded? fuggitaboutit. He swung at ball 3. It would have been 3-1 with a ton of pressure on the pitcher - all AJ had to do was lay off and he would have walked in Paulie.

slobes
08-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Let's hope you're right. I didn't realize that they went on that good of a streak after that loss.

junkyarddoug
08-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Yep. It all starts tonight.

batmanZoSo
08-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Yep. It all starts tonight.

Phew. I was worried for a minute there. :wink:

Dan H
08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
If you look at the Wild Card, you would think the Sox were in good shape. Look at what they do on the field, and you think different. We've been waiting for the starting pitchers to come around for 112 games. We are still waiting. We can still be waiting at game 162 when the Sox go home for the winter.

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
If you look at the Wild Card, you would think the Sox were in good shape. Look at what they do on the field, and you think different. We've been waiting for the starting pitchers to come around for 112 games. We are still waiting. We can still be waiting at game 162 when the Sox go home for the winter.

The scary stat is that in 112 games our pitchers have given up 144 HR's. :o:

sox1970
08-10-2006, 06:02 PM

The starting pitching was fine the first 50 games of the season. Mediocre at best since.