PDA

View Full Version : Liefer


foulkesfan11
02-20-2002, 05:23 PM
Has there been any news on Liefer lately? Will he make the Majors this year? What are your thoughts?

Jerry_Manuel
02-20-2002, 05:44 PM
I think he'll make it.

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 06:01 PM
Yup.

Foulke You
02-20-2002, 06:33 PM
The Sun-Times reported that Liefer will primarily be used as a powerful left handed bat off the bench and as a reserve outfielder. It should also be noted that Jeff Liefer and Aaron Rowand were the first two postion players to report to Spring Training. Liefer is a valuable guy to have on the team and good insurance in case a power hitter like Carlos or Maggs (perish the thought) go down with injury.

Pete_SSAC
02-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Leif. will definatly make it with the team. He's a great left handed power bat type guy person.

- Pete

foulkesfan11
02-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Liefer Rules!

:kelly

WinningUgly!
02-20-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The Sun-Times reported that Liefer will primarily be used as a powerful left handed bat off the bench and as a reserve outfielder. It should also be noted that Jeff Liefer and Aaron Rowand were the first two postion players to report to Spring Training. Liefer is a valuable guy to have on the team and good insurance in case a power hitter like Carlos or Maggs (perish the thought) go down with injury.

He could also be an everyday 1stbasemen, or at leats split time with Frank, should something happen to Konerko. (perish the thought, again)

RedPinStripes
02-21-2002, 12:31 AM
I have to give you props agin WinningUgly! That is one hell of a creation for a sig. I like it!.

DrCrawdad
02-21-2002, 07:17 AM
Liefer will either make the Sox 25 man roster or be put on waivers. So I expect Liefer to make the club. If he gets waived, I can imagine that he'll clear waivers. No doubt some team would claim him.

Anyone else remember Liefer's smash last season at Camden Yards? Talk about your Light Tower Power!

Jeff Liefer as Roy Hobbs.

RedPinStripes
02-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Liefer will either make the Sox 25 man roster or be put on waivers. So I expect Liefer to make the club. If he gets waived, I can imagine that he'll clear waivers. No doubt some team would claim him.

Anyone else remember Liefer's smash last season at Camden Yards? Talk about your Light Tower Power!

Jeff Liefer as Roy Hobbs.

There is no way they are going to cut a power hitting lefty on this team.

DrCrawdad
02-21-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Liefer will either make the Sox 25 man roster or be put on waivers. So I expect Liefer to make the club. If he gets waived, I can imagine that he'll clear waivers. No doubt some team would claim him.

Anyone else remember Liefer's smash last season at Camden Yards? Talk about your Light Tower Power!

Jeff Liefer as Roy Hobbs.

I meant to write: If he gets waived, I can't imagine that he'll clear waivers. No doubt some team would claim him.

IIRC I read in the paper that Liefer has no options left. So if Liefer doesn't make the Sox ML club he'd have to be put on waivers.

Soxboyrob
02-21-2002, 09:10 AM
It's been reported on the Score in Chicago that Lief's been assured by the Jer that he'll make the team this year and that the remaining outfield spot will be fought over in spring training by Rowand and Simmons.

fogie
02-21-2002, 09:24 AM
Atlanta needs a 1st baseman, and I look for either Liefer or Konerko to end up their, in a major trade. With us getting some pitching help, in return.

Fogie

delben91
02-21-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by fogie
Atlanta needs a 1st baseman, and I look for either Liefer or Konerko to end up their, in a major trade. With us getting some pitching help, in return.

Fogie

You have anything to back this up? I mean, we need a catcher, doesn't mean we'll just <poof> make a major deal and land I-Rod or something. Then again, knowing Kenny, he'd give up Garland, Buerhle, and Maggs for Greg Zaun.

czalgosz
02-21-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by delben91


You have anything to back this up? I mean, we need a catcher, doesn't mean we'll just <poof> make a major deal and land I-Rod or something. Then again, knowing Kenny, he'd give up Garland, Buerhle, and Maggs for Greg Zaun.

It's kind of like the ESPN Rumor Central backup - the Braves need a first baseman, the Sox have a first baseman, therefore this trade will definitely happen!

But I don't think that Jeff Liefer has that much in trade value. I think he adds something as a bench player and spot-starter, but I doubt that any team would give up a good pitcher for him. He's too one-dimensional.

RichH55
02-21-2002, 02:40 PM
I don't think Liefer has a ton of trade value either, but some...and the drop off to him if you did deal someone with trade value(Lee of Konerko) wouldn't be horrible IMO.....thats where his trade value lies...in allowing you to do other things.....This is the decesion year for both Konerko and Lee IMO so playing time for Liefer might be limited...though I would like to see him out there at 3B and OF more than just a bench player....he's a professional hitter

fogie
02-21-2002, 04:14 PM
No, I donot have anything to back up a possible trade with Atlanta. But like you said, they need a first baseman, and we have two or three. Just seems like, maybe something we sould be looking into?

Fogie