PDA

View Full Version : Do WS have chance to make playoffs?

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Sure, since 2000, the last year the White Sox went to the playoffs, 4 teams out of 18 have made it with worse ERA's than this year's Sox squad, a team that currently is clinging to a 4.65 ERA.

2005 Boston Red Sox, 4.74 (swept in playoffs)
2004 New York Yankees, 4.69 (blew 3-0 lead to Red Sox)
2000 Chicago White Sox, 4.66 (swept by M's)
2000 New York Yankees, 4.76 (won WS)

On a more uplifting note, out of the 18 series contested in the AL to get to the WS, 7 have been won by teams with higher ERA's.

2004 Yankees (4.69) over Twins (4.03)
2003 Red Sox (4.48) over A's (3.63)
2002 Twins (4.12) over A's (3.68)
2001 Yankees (4.02) over A's (3.59)
2001 Yankees (4.02) over Mariners (3.54)
2000 Yankees (4.76) over A's (4.56)
2000 Yankees (4.76) over Mariners (4.50)

Of course, the bad part of this is that the Red Sox and Yankees have been the only AL teams to get away with this (and, of course, the Twins!) because of their high-powered payrolls/offenses.

But the White Sox have that caliber of offense right now. Of course, look what happened to the Red Sox last year against our pitching. And you can't help but feel bad for A's, Twins and Mariners fans whose teams were built in the way you should theoretically build playoff and WS-winning teams.

But I feel we're very comparable to that 2000 Yankees rotation that underachieved during the regular season but turned it on when the lights came on in October...so there is some recent precedent to give hope.

PKalltheway
08-10-2006, 12:46 AM
But I feel we're very comparable to that 2000 Yankees rotation that underachieved during the regular season but turned it on when the lights came on in October...so there is some recent precedent to give hope.
Yeah you can compare this year's rotation to the 2000 Yankees, but they got away with being in a bad, bad division that year. They won the AL East with just 87 wins. We won't be able to get away with that like the Yankees did that year. We could have as many as 96 wins, and still miss the playoffs. The only AL team I can see having a legit shot at making the postseason with less than 90 wins could be whoever wins the AL west.

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm thinking it will be either 94 or 95....meaning we would have to go 29-21 or 28-22. Not sure we have 30-20 in us, maybe. Of those 50 games, 30 are against playoff-caliber competition.

I think the Yanks and Tigers are beyond our reach, but the Twins and Red Sox are vulnerable. Of course, so are we. The Twins are definitely playing the best right now, but you just wonder how long they can keep playing .700 to .750 ball without Liriano.

If the White Sox don't make it, I will be cheering for the Twins. They deserve it...it's almost amazing what they have been able to accomplish with a very limited payroll over the last 5-6 seasons.

The Twins aren't as good as their 2002 and 2004 versions, but they're dangerous with Liriano healthy. And who knows what Garza is capable of...

DSpivack
08-10-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm thinking it will be either 94 or 95....meaning we would have to go 29-21 or 28-22. Not sure we have 30-20 in us, maybe. Of those 50 games, 30 are against playoff-caliber competition.

I think the Yanks and Tigers are beyond our reach, but the Twins and Red Sox are vulnerable. Of course, so are we. The Twins are definitely playing the best right now, but you just wonder how long they can keep playing .700 to .750 ball without Liriano.

If the White Sox don't make it, I will be cheering for the Twins. They deserve it...it's almost amazing what they have been able to accomplish with a very limited payroll over the last 5-6 seasons.

The Twins aren't as good as their 2002 and 2004 versions, but they're dangerous with Liriano healthy. And who knows what Garza is capable of...

As much as I want them to lose now, if we somehow miss the playoffs I'll cheer for the Twins and Tigers over the Red Sox, Yankees, or anyone out west.

DumpJerry
08-10-2006, 07:24 AM
The answer to your question: Yes.
The answer to the question "Is Caulfield12 related to Homefish?" : Yes.

The Dude
08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
The answer to your question: Yes.
The answer to the question "Is Caulfield12 related to Homefish?" : Yes.

If the latter is true, where are the fancy graphs explaining everything??:redneck

Jenks4Pres
08-10-2006, 08:27 AM
If this pitching keeps up........We don't have a chance in hell to make the playoffs

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
DumpJerry,

Would you go out today and bet your house and your childrens' college fund on the White Sox making the playoffs this season?

If you did so, it would be because you have blind loyalty, refuse to see obvious flaws and haven't been watching it perform for the past five weeks...heck, the entire season, in terms of fundamentals, execution, pitching, defense, etc.

By the way, how can you have a screen-name that pokes fun at the only owner to ever take the White Sox to the World Series championship in your lifetime? That's the mindset of the "old" White Sox fan who blamed everything on the payrolls, JR and the Board of Directors.

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Our pitching will turn it around we'll go on one of those patented 8-2, 9-1 streaks (the next 10 games) with eight quality starts or so mixed in and the offense winning a couple of games with late-inning theatrics. No worries. Be happy mon. Drink some Old Stripe.

Scottiehaswheels
08-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Caufield,

I'd def be willing to bet my house and my kid's college fund on the Sox getting in the playoffs....

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 09:17 AM
DumpJerry,

Would you go out today and bet your house and your childrens' college fund on the White Sox making the playoffs this season?

If you did so, it would be because you have blind loyalty, refuse to see obvious flaws and haven't been watching it perform for the past five weeks...heck, the entire season, in terms of fundamentals, execution, pitching, defense, etc.

By the way, how can you have a screen-name that pokes fun at the only owner to ever take the White Sox to the World Series championship in your lifetime? That's the mindset of the "old" White Sox fan who blamed everything on the payrolls, JR and the Board of Directors.

Er, not sure, but I believe his screen name refers to Jerry Manuel. :?:

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Okay, well I sort of take it back....but isn't advocating that your manager be fired or dumped negative by definition?

If I had a "dump Garcia/Buehrle/Vazquez" screen-name, wouldn't it be a bannable offense?

Did he choose this name before the 2004 season?

itsnotrequired
08-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Okay, well I sort of take it back....but isn't advocating that your manager be fired or dumped negative by definition?

If I had a "dump Garcia/Buehrle/Vazquez" screen-name, wouldn't it be a bannable offense?

Did he choose this name before the 2004 season?

He joined in June of 2003. What do you think?

nedlug
08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Sure, since 2000, the last year the White Sox went to the playoffs...

:?:

I thought the title of the thread was, "Do the WS have a chance to make the playoffs...?"

Of course they do - a better than average chance. First off, they are only a half game back in the WC with about 50 games to go. Second, the talent is obviously still there. Third, the pitching staff has shown a couple signs that they could turn it around and pitch more to their abilities... of course there's a chance.

My first ignore might be imminent... how do you do this, again?

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
If they finish with 97 wins and dont make the playoffs this has been the worst season ever in Sox history.

BigPapaPump
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Ozzie has rested his players all season, come the last month the Sox should be the freshest of all the teams in the hunt.

Pods is due, once he gets on track this team will be fine. I think he's the catalyst for this team.

My prediction- Sox don't lose another series and easily lock up the wild card.

DumpJerry
08-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Glad to see I have so many friends covering my back here. I owe you guys!

Caufield: I don't have any kids, so no college money is on the line. I don't gamble, so betting my house is not an option. It was pointed out that my join date was during the Manuel Era. What's wrong with criticizing the Manager? Do you stand up for Bevington? Regarding the "other" Jerry, can you honestly tell me that he has been 100%, or even 50%, fan-friendly during his ownership of the team?

Would you bet your kids' college money and your house on the Sox not making the playoffs?

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Nedlug, please place me on ignore, but don't talk about it, just do it.

That's the kind of nonsense that proliferated when ncorgbl was "ruler" of chisox.com. It's silly. Is that supposed to hurt my feelings somehow?

I wouldn't bet, at this point, one way or the other.

I can only say that I would be more likely to bet on the Sox this season, at this point, than I would have last year, with about two weeks to go in the season...or maybe I changed my mind when Crede hit that homer off Riske, not sure.

I'm also not sure if it really matters if we make the playoffs unless our pitching is righted. That much is obvious. It's only the weaknesses of the Red Sox and Twins and not the make-up of this year's team that convinces me that the White Sox have as good a chance as any team to get there.

Doesn't mean we don't have players on the team having great individual seasons...we're just not as much of a team as we were last year, and nobody can quite put a finger on it, which is why it's infuriating for so many Sox fans. We can all see the talent, point out the offensive statistics, the past history of our starters...but that doesn't help any, does it?

Scottiehaswheels
08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Nedlug, please place me on ignore, but don't talk about it, just do it.

That's the kind of nonsense that proliferated when ncorgbl was "ruler" of chisox.com. It's silly. Is that supposed to hurt my feelings somehow?

I was wondering if this was the same caufield as there.... What happened man? You kinda lost yourself last year... I thought of you before as a knowledgeable fan, then after the slowdown last year you became a SERIOUS darkcloud then too.... I coulda swore the real caulfield had died and you jumped on with his nickname... oh well, sorry to see these are your true colors...

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 12:04 PM
deleted

MarySwiss
08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Glad to see I have so many friends covering my back here. I owe you guys!

No problem, Dump. You can pick up the taxes on my World Series ring when I win it tonight. (Do I need teal for that?) :wink:

caulfield12
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Something just came to me...

I think the reason this season has been so difficult is because we've been considered a favorite in many ways for the first time in our lifetimes. Sure, in 2001 and 2003 and 1993/94 and 84, we had a lot of positive buzz, but it was more guarded optimism. And you never was sure it was going to last.

Well, this team isn't that blue collar, South Side type of team. It's a different generation of players, but the "feel" of last year's team was just so different. And the payroll certainly was as well. We have many of the same players back, but we still don't that "grinder" mentality the ads keep hyping.

The closest thing I remember was one of my favorite Sox teams, the 1990 team that won 94 games but was trapped behind the A's.

Maybe it's the complacency, the recent comments of players like Garcia that have bugged me...sounding like the second coming of Bartolo Colon without the 98 MPH late inning fastball to back it up, WHEN HE WANTED to actually pitch and his team scored some runs for him.

It's never fun when you're losing, we remember last year so well...everyone has different ideas, Ozzie should be loose and have fun again, Ozzie and the players are not serious ENOUGH and should never laugh or smile when losing, etc.

I guess I've watched the Twins more than any other team in baseball since 2000 or so, and I subconsciously want my White Sox to be more like them. I don't want an All-Star at every position or a $100 million payroll. I want a team that plays the game as if every day is their last time ever to take the field...all out, hustling, but in an intelligent way.

The Twins have had some standout players, but it's the lesser ones that I always admired...Radke, Hocking, Ford, Mienkiewicz, Bartlett, Punto, LeCroy, Tyner...those players that were obviously less talented and wouldn't have a prayer to start on the White Sox and yet they always seemed to figure out a way to beat us.

I see this team and I wonder why Cintron, Pods, Mackowiak, Anderson, Ozuna, Iguchi and Uribe are not capable of the same types of things, instead of swinging for the fences or swinging out of their ---es trying to hit five run homers. The other night, the Tigers were bunting a runner over to third with a six run lead...I KNOW that hasn't happened this season with the Sox. And I wonder how Ozzie let it get this far...we had our mandatory bunting sessions and then it disappeared as if it had never happened at all.

And I'm also not sure why our team isn't playing defense the same way it did last year....I guess we could also blame that on the starting pitching, lol, but it has just been a lack of focus and concentration on many occasions. Juan Uribe, for instance. It's not that they don't have the ability...like the Royals or Pirates, or the talent, or both...it's just that you see the same things day after day and you wonder why it can't be changed.

TDog
08-10-2006, 06:00 PM
ERAs are irrelevant because they show what the Sox pitchers have done to this point (and a couple of those pitchers aren't around anymore). The team ERA does not predict what pitchers will do from here on out. They have done better in the past.

The Sox are in three-team race for the wild card with the teams nearly even. Of course they have a chance.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I didn't post on the chisox.com messageboard from July 19th through October 12th. So I'm not sure how you can have a recollection of some "dark clouds" that never originated with me. I was teaching in Colombia, South America, and had my hands full with too many Latina hotties to even think about posting here, lol.

You can look it up. My name there has always been some variation of caulfield, since 2001 or 02, can't remember when I started posting.

I was friends with baggio and a couple of others over there...I made a truce with colsat46 after fighting with him and appling and especially ncorgbl for the better part of three years, on and off. It all started somehow when I was accused of stalking his friend (at the time), I think it was steph or stephanie...she had red hair, that's all I remember. That and the fact that ncorgbl came up with all these altered messages that weren't even sent by me because I wasn't even around a computer. I see that he finally received his comeuppance, so to speak.

:nuts:

JB98
08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
ERAs are irrelevant because they show what the Sox pitchers have done to this point (and a couple of those pitchers aren't around anymore). The team ERA does not predict what pitchers will do from here on out. They have done better in the past.

The Sox are in three-team race for the wild card with the teams nearly even. Of course they have a chance.

You're not suggesting that Cliff Politte's performance had a negative impact on our team ERA, are you? Well I never!!!!! :rolleyes:

If we don't make the playoffs, I'll be pissed. This team has very few holes. They have the talent and the experience. I think we can probably slug our way in if we have to. In order to win in the playoffs, the pitching is going to have to improve significantly.

IMO, Buerhle and Garcia are the keys to our success or failure from here on in. If they those two right the ship, the sky is the limit.