PDA

View Full Version : Do you root for the Cubs?

Playah
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
For all you sox fans out there (like me) .. do you find yourself rooting for the Cubs or rooting against the Cubs? Or do you totally not care?

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 05:11 PM
i voted between the poll sucking and could care less

itsnotrequired
08-09-2006, 05:11 PM
The only time I root for the Cubs is during interleague play. Other than that, I couldn't care less.

NoShoesJoe
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
The only time I root for the Cubs is during interleague play. Other than that, I couldn't care less.

Yep. That's the only time. I get some form of masochistic joy out of the whole Dusty controversy.

MDF3530
08-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I root for them...TO LOSE

Chips
08-09-2006, 05:25 PM

I also root for the Cubs when they play the Mets. I loathe the Mets.

StillMissOzzie
08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
i voted between the poll sucking and could care less

It's couldn't care less. College kids these days...

Me. I enjoy watching them lose. I enjoy even more listening to Ron Santo suffer when I have a Cubs game on the radio in the car.

SMO
:gulp:

cbotnyse
08-09-2006, 05:29 PM
The only time I root for the Cubs is during interleague play. Other than that, I couldn't care less.Yes. If the play anyone in the AL Central I'll root for them. If not, I do not follow them at all.

downstairs
08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I have to admit.... its not logical, but I root against them pretty hard.

I find their brand of baseball (i.e. the main goal being filling the seats with frat boy drunks) to be bad for baseball.

Sorry... its in my blood...

soxfanreggie
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Unless it's a team that helps the Sox out by winning, I really don't root for them. If I'm at a baseball game and it has really not outcome on the Sox, sure I'll cheer and stuff for good baseball, but I don't normally root for other teams.

Hitmen77
08-09-2006, 05:43 PM
A more accurate option for me would have been "Don't actively follow the Cubs". Without that, the option that best fits is "No".

Because, quite honestly, NO I don't root for the Cubs. Does this make me flubsessed? No, because I don't actively follow them. I consider them rather irrelevant these days and I think all Sox fans should think likewise.

There is the "Couldn't care less what they do" option. But, IMO, that would mean I would be okay if they were to win 110 games next year. I would definitely root against that happening.

Deebs14
08-09-2006, 05:44 PM
**** no.

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 06:06 PM
It's couldn't care less. College kids these days...

Me. I enjoy watching them lose. I enjoy even more listening to Ron Santo suffer when I have a Cubs game on the radio in the car.

SMO
:gulp:
I guess i could care less than i already do, which is zero

SouthSide_HitMen
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM

You should stick with watching the NFL.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I could care less about anything regarding the National league. There's nothing that I can say that I like about that league. The NL teams do not play with the "Big Boys."

Steelrod
08-09-2006, 06:32 PM
I hope they run off a string of wins so they rehire Dusty.
Then I won't have to think about them for a long time!

QCIASOXFAN
08-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I hope they run off a string of wins so they rehire Dusty.
Then I won't have to think about them for a long time!Careful what you wish for, Dusty will have all his "horses" back next year.

thomas35forever
08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Dude, What's the Score?

PAPChiSox729
08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I rooted against them much harder when people actually thought they were good. These days, I really don't care.

Grzegorz
08-09-2006, 09:06 PM
In a word, no. I ignore their existence totally.

STRETCH!!!
08-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I have friends who like the Cubs, and I try to put on a cheerful face and show some support. In 2003 I outwardly looked people in the eye and told them I wanted the Cubs to win, and I even believed it. Then, when they imploded in the 8th inning, I was privately filled with a sense of glee. I'm not proud of it, but I want to the Cubs to lose and get a sick sense of joy from their failures.

RealMenWearBlack
08-09-2006, 10:29 PM
**** no.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the title for this thread.

The Dude
08-10-2006, 12:36 AM

You mean the 2006 NL Champion Mets?:neener:

DumpJerry
08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
What possessed you to create this poll? Did you think it was the off-season already? We're in the fight for our post-season lives and you're wondering if we root for a team mired in the La Brea Tar Pits?

Why don't you ask if we root for the Diamondbacks? They are as relevant to us as the Cubs.

Cub fans root for the Cubs. We're Sox fans.

I smell a :dtroll: here in Playah.....

KMKsuburbannoise
08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I voted that I could care less. I would root for them if they got in the World Series though. All of my friends who are Cubs fans rooted for the Sox to win, and my uncle is a big Cubs fan, well not as of late. He has kind of given up on them lately

itsnotrequired
08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Yes. If the play anyone in the AL Central I'll root for them. If not, I do not follow them at all.

I still want them to win in interleague play, regardless of the division they are playing. Imagine how crappy it would be if the Sox missed the Wild Card because the Cubs totally clowned it against AL opponents. Yeah, yeah, you can't point to one loss across an entire season but I would still rather they beat those teams than not.

AuroraSoxFan
08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I truly do not pay any attention to them. Couldn't tell you anything about them since their sweep of STL. Only reason i even knew that was because someone on here pointed out that STL is a combined 0-10 in Chi so far this season.

BigPapaPump
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd rather drink my own pee!:tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
I'll root for them if it benefits the White Sox. I'll root against them when they play the White Sox or another team I like. Other than that, I don't really care. I was more of a Cubs hater when I was younger. Now, its not such a big deal.

nysox35
08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I have friends who like the Cubs, and I try to put on a cheerful face and show some support. In 2003 I outwardly looked people in the eye and told them I wanted the Cubs to win, and I even believed it. Then, when they imploded in the 8th inning, I was privately filled with a sense of glee. I'm not proud of it, but I want to the Cubs to lose and get a sick sense of joy from their failures.

This is exactly how I felt during the 2003 playoffs. Once they started blowing it, I realized how crappy it would've been had they pulled it off.
I guess it didn't hit me until then how huge a world series title really would be for the city.
Like you, I was overjoyed once they crumbled.:D:

nysox35
08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I still want them to win in interleague play, regardless of the division they are playing. Imagine how crappy it would be if the Sox missed the Wild Card because the Cubs totally clowned it against AL opponents. Yeah, yeah, you can't point to one loss across an entire season but I would still rather they beat those teams than not.

This is like groundhog day, but I'll say it anyway - No Food?

soxfan13
08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I dont root for them but I also dont root against them. I am indifferent to what they are doing. Ill watch a Cubs game if nothing else is on.

DaleJRFan
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I can't stand certain groups of Cubs fans, but I have a lot of close friends who are "good baseball fans" first and Cubs fans second... I can't hate them all. There are some players over there on the North side I do like (Murton, Pierre, etc) and that I root for --- but as a whole, I agree with most posters here in that I really don't care what happens to the Cubs. BUT, I don't root for them to lose, either.

I want Mags back
08-10-2006, 03:34 PM
:threadblows:

slobes
08-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I used to boo 'em, but now I've realized it's not worth my time. I'm completely indifferent.

08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I rooted for them once this year....when they played the Tigers, and we all know how that weekend ended up....But my hatred for the Cubs has decreased immensly since we won the WS

PalehosePlanet
08-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I rooted for them once this year....when they played the Tigers, and we all know how that weekend ended up....But my hatred for the Cubs has decreased immensly since we won the WS

Me too, I used to waste my time hating them and watching them an inning here and there. Since we won it all last year it's a different world.

Although, I'm sure if and when a year comes along and they are doing better than us the old venom will be back. Now I only attack when provoked.

SpartanSoxFan
08-10-2006, 05:19 PM
In a word, no.

If I had to tell you why, we would be here awhile, so I figured I'd spare everyone the expense...:redneck

areilly
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
No. Never. For any reason. Ever.

If they're playing a team I'd like to see defeated, I hope for a tie or for some way for them both to lose. Can that happen? No. Neither can my wishing good fortune for the Cubs.

Banix12
08-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't root for them but I don't really root against them (unless they are facing the white sox or the brewers). My grandfather is a huge cubs fan and because of him for me the cubs winning would not be the end of the world.

jenn2080
08-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I dont root for them but anymore I dont root against them. Since moving to the northside and living less then a mile away from the stadium I have learned to tolerate them. That is not saying I like them or anything I just dont care. I will watch them sometimes when the Sox are off. There are def some losses I enjoy and get enjoyment out esp the 2 Grand Slam game aganst the Mets. I was in tears laughing.

vegyrex
08-11-2006, 09:16 AM
I never root for those losers. :wink:

jdm2662
08-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't root for them, but since the World Series win, what they do is irrevelant. I've watched maybe about two innings of them all year when they weren't playing the Sox. All the other stuff such has attention, media darlings, etc mean nothing to me anymore. I just show a picture of the piece of hardware, and I get the last laugh. Although, I do find it amusing when they find new ways to lose.

North Sox Sider
08-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I voted for indifferent also but I was a fan for the first time ever when they played the Tigers. I saw two of those games at Wrigley and it made me frustrated watching them play so poorly against the Tigers. For a tiny part I felt the frustration of being a cub fan. Tigers beat them in every way possible that weekend. I will never put myself in that position again. I live near Wrigley and have been to many games there this year mainly to see there opposition like the Cardinals and the Maddux vs. Clemens game. As much as I want to feel sorry for Cub fans I just cant.

CaptainBallz
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
I actually tried rooting for them when they were playing Detroit earlier in the year. I entered an altered state of conciousness where it didn't really matter what was going on as long as the sun was hot, beers were cold, and the ladies were gettin' wasted.
I think I made it into the fifth inning before I couldn't take it anymore. They were playing absolute Cubbie-ball and I wondered aloud how anybody could actually tolerate their **** for more than an afternoon. Detroit proceeded to sweep and that's the first and last time I actually "rooted" for the Cubs. The rest of my time is spent in indifference and a quiet yearning for their (Cubs fans) eternal misery.

southwstchi4life
08-11-2006, 05:15 PM
HEEEEELLLLLLLL NOOO, I root for the cubs