PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-10

Lip Man 1
08-09-2006, 12:10 PM
August 10, 1990 - The odds had to be a million to one. They were two of the smallest players in major league baseball, yet on this night in the second game of a double header at Comiskey Park, the impossible happened.

In the second inning, the Sox Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hit back to back home runs off flame throwing Nolan Ryan. It was part of a four run inning in a 5-1 win and a sweep of the two games. Making matters even more incredible was that both Grebeck and Guillen pulled their shots. Craig reaching the left field seats and Ozzie right field!

It was this incident that escalated Ryan's tendency to 'throw-at' Sox hitters eventually leading to a pair of on field brawls, the first, the following week in Texas and then Robin Ventura charged the mound in a game in August 1993.

Lip

ode to veeck
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Fisk often has talked about Ryan being the toughest pitcher he ever faced, after getting a HR off him early in his career, Nolan really gave it Fisk the rest of his career, pretty much shutting him down as well.

batmanZoSo
08-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Fisk often has talked about Ryan being the toughest pitcher he ever faced, after getting a HR off him early in his career, Nolan really gave it Fisk the rest of his career, pretty much shutting him down as well.

Thomas also had a hell of a time facing Ryan (he seemed to against most flamethrowers). I don't remember exactly but he was something like 0-10 with 11 strikeouts for his career against Ryan. Something like that...the point is it wasn't good.

itsnotrequired
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Thomas also had a hell of a time facing Ryan (he seemed to against most flamethrowers). I don't remember exactly but he was something like 0-10 with 11 strikeouts for his career against Ryan. Something like that...the point is it wasn't good.

He had more Ks than ABs?

:redneck

patbooyah
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM

i heard it was 0-10 with 11 strikeouts and 14 pop-ups.

AnkleSox
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I heard he did have 11 strikeouts, but he was 3 for 3 because he drew 3 walks. :redneck

Wsoxmike59
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Ryan also drilled Grebeck in the chest with a pitch on his next AB. It was pretty obvious it was a purpose pitch and I lost a little respect for Ryan because of it, because Grebeck didn't showboat or anything when he hit the HR.

Also when Ventura charged the mound in Arlington after getting drilled on his right arm by Ryan on the subsequent road trip, a lot of people forget Ventura got hit in the same exact spot by Cal Eldred of the Brewers the night before.

Ventura let the HBP by Eldred slide and decided to let his pitchers take care of business. The following night nursing a big bruise on his right bicep, Ryan drilled Ventura right on the same spot Eldred hit.

That's when Ventura "lost it" and he charged the mound against Ryan. I applauded Ventura's decision to go out there because enough was enough already!