PDA

View Full Version : Nellie Fox- St. Thomas, Pennslvania

34 Inch Stick
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I was driving back to Chicago from southeast Pennsylvania this week. I ended up going through a small town named St. Thomas. As I approached the city what did I see...a big sign indicating that this was the proud hometown of Nellie Fox. They had a billboard sized sign with his picture. Pulling into town they had a landmark type indicator of his birthplace. It was the same type of indicator the state uses for places such as the site of the Gettysburg Address. It was good to see him in such an exaulted position in his hometown.

You see many odd things driving the back roads of this country.

Scottiehaswheels
08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I was driving back to Chicago from southeast Pennsylvania this week. I ended up going through a small town named St. Thomas. As I approached the city what did I see...a big sign indicating that this was the proud hometown of Nellie Fox. They had a billboard sized sign with his picture. Pulling into town they had a landmark type indicator of his birthplace. It was the same type of indicator the state uses for places such as the site of the Gettysburg Address. It was good to see him in such an exaulted position in his hometown.

You see many odd things driving the back roads of this country.Wonder if the Sox sent a nice pic to his hometown of his statue? just to put up in their city hall or something like that?

34 Inch Stick
08-09-2006, 01:21 PM
The city did not look big enough to have a city hall. In fact the city might not have been big enough to be a city. I believe they referred to it as St. Thomas township. It was the middle of nowhere.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 04:46 PM
The city did not look big enough to have a city hall. In fact the city might not have been big enough to be a city. I believe they referred to it as St. Thomas township. It was the middle of nowhere.

The closest town is Chambersburg. The only reason I know that is a guy my son went to high school with lived there awhile.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Scottie:

According to Brooks the Sox sent along a bunch of photos with Nellie's wife Joann.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
08-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I had my picture taken by that Nellie Fox sign in 2000 on summer vac when we drove to Gettysburg.

I'll have to dig that photo up and post it here someday.

Mike

Mots09
08-09-2006, 06:23 PM
On a some what related note:

Bob Feller has a musuem dedicated to his legacy in Van Meter, IA which is about 10 miles west of Des Moines, IA right off of I80. I think Bob is one of only about seven major leaguers to have their own musuem.

I am a volunteer there and we bring in roughly one MLB hall of famer a month to sign autographs to raise money for the musuem.

It's a great place to visit, and Brooks and the White Sox Organization have made some donations to keep the doors open.

http://www.bobfellermuseum.org/

1951Campbell
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
The closest town is Chambersburg. The only reason I know that is a guy my son went to high school with lived there awhile.

That's about 40 miles from where I live, I've passed through there to and from hiking.