PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Behavior I have noticed

minutia
08-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I know that players use a form of sign language to communicate with each other on the field. However I have noticed that the Yankees seem to grab their crotches a lot, and I am beginning to wonder if it means something. A Rod, does this the most. Now being a woman I can't understand what wearing a cup must be like but I have never seen that much "adjusting" with any other team before. Has anyone else noticed this too?

whitesoxwilkes
08-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Is it me, or is Jeter turning into Nomar with his stupid batting glove adjustments?

BNLSox
08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
I'd like to thread hijack here for a minute....

When I first saw this posting I thought perhaps the original poster was alluding to something that I thought I noticed about the Yankees. It seems to me that unlike a lot of other teams in the AL, the Yanks treat us with more respect as a result of our championship instead of contempt. I can't really explain it but it seems like they are tipping their cap to us for '05. I never feel that when we play other teams.... Am I crazy or did you guys sense that too?

nysox35
08-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I'd like to thread hijack here for a minute....

When I first saw this posting I thought perhaps the original poster was alluding to something that I thought I noticed about the Yankees. It seems to me that unlike a lot of other teams in the AL, the Yanks treat us with more respect as a result of our championship instead of contempt. I can't really explain it but it seems like they are tipping their cap to us for '05. I never feel that when we play other teams.... Am I crazy or did you guys sense that too?
Definitely Agreed.
I've seen quotes from most of the main players, including Jeter & ARod saying that we're one of the best, have a great staff (in theory) and are a very tough ballclub.
ARod even went on record and said the wildcard would come out of the Central (thus giving us and Detroit props). This was back when we were up about 7 games on the Yankees for WC, but still...
They definitely know what winning is about and respect us for '05 and for our solid play this year. You are correct.

nug0hs
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
No one has come mildly close to answering the poor lady's question

batmanZoSo
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't tend to notice these things, but if it's true, they might be stealing signs. And if you think about it, that's a clever way to do it because...I assume I'm not the only guy who overlooks that sort of thing.

1951Campbell
08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't tend to notice these things, but if it's true, they might be stealing signs. And if you think about it, that's a clever way to do it because...I assume I'm not the only guy who overlooks that sort of thing.

Although, given the nature of wearing a cup, it could lead to a lot of, um, false positives.

I remember a story where Billy Martin had a sign on to steal--he'd scratch his nose--and there was a Yankee on first I believe who had Konerko-esque speed, and he dutifully obeyed the sign and thrown out by a mile. Only problem was that Martin just had an itchy nose.

RealMenWearBlack
08-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Maybe they took on the old Roger Clemens pre-game ritual when he was with them.

HotelWhiteSox
08-09-2006, 10:12 PM
ARod makes it too easy for his haters. There was a clip from earlier this year on a rainy day where ARod wiped the bat between his pant legs by yanking it back and forth, while making interesting facial expressions, even the Yankee fans who saw it couldn't defend it. And does he wear lip gloss?

EDIT: Not altered at all, actual footage from earlier this year: http://progressiveboink.com/dugout/arodbatside.gif http://progressiveboink.com/dugout/arodbat.gif

Domeshot17
08-09-2006, 11:56 PM
haha

harwar
08-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I know that players use a form of sign language to communicate with each other on the field. However I have noticed that the Yankees seem to grab their crotches a lot, and I am beginning to wonder if it means something. A Rod, does this the most. Now being a woman I can't understand what wearing a cup must be like but I have never seen that much "adjusting" with any other team before. Has anyone else noticed this too?
They don't call it the BIG APPLE for nuthin

itsnotrequired
08-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I see this thread has gone down the crapper once again...

SoxWillWin
08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I didn't do it this time, I was in a sleep deprived punch drunk mood yesterday (newborn and all) and somehow a thread about ARod adjusting himself sent me off to lala land. I apologize for the posts yesterday, which thankfully have been removed.

To get to the point of the thread though, I don't think that particular action would be used as a form of communication. When I played our coach told us if we're on second and "happen" to pick up the sign for the pitch to just flash 1 or 2 fingers to the batter. Not that the batter was always paying attention. Stealing signs as a baserunner is very difficult,