PDA

View Full Version : Twins starting pitching....

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I just took a look at the stats on the Twins starting pitchers and NOW I feel much BETTER about the White Sox staff !

There's no doubt that Liriano and Santana at their best are going to make things tough on the Sox BUT with Liriano hurting and Santana off a little bit, this rotation looks bad.

Radke, Baker and Silva's records make Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez and Garland's look almost sterling.

I am suddenly feeling much better about our chances if we can stay healthy.

PAPChiSox729
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I just took a look at the stats on the Twins starting pitchers and NOW I feel much BETTER about the White Sox staff !

There's no doubt that Liriano and Santana at their best are going to make things tough on the Sox BUT with Liriano hurting and Santana off a little bit, this rotation looks bad.

Radke, Baker and Silva's records make Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez and Garland's look almost sterling.

I am suddenly feeling much better about our chances if we can stay healthy.

Radke and Silva have been pitching well. I would be very, very surprised if Liriano's injury sends the Twinkies into a tailspin. I just don't think these guys are going to go away.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Radke and Silva have been pitching well. I would be very, very surprised if Liriano's injury sends the Twinkies into a tailspin. I just don't think these guys are going to go away.

They are not going anywhere but up with Gardenhire as the skipper they will play harder and they have guys who just play balls to the wall every day.

cleanwsox
08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Garza is supposed to be another stud, but besides the occasional Weaver and Liriano.... rookies aren't going to have a bunch of success during their first few starts. Radke is pitching very well as of late and Silva has been steady although he can blow up at any time.

I'm still waiting for guys like Bartlett, Punto, and Rabe to come back down to earth.

salty99
08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
The Twins will be there til the end of the year. I just hope we have a nice lead before the last 3 games of the year at their place.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry. I hate to be the optimist here, but I really feel that Liriano's dominance for THIS year could be over.

Also, Radke's shoulder is so bad that he's retiring after the season.

Yes, Silva's been a little better - than when he was the worst pitcher in the league for the first 2 months.

Baker and Bonser were not good and I wouldn't expect much from Garza.

Unless their offense stays on fire, they won't finish ahead of us, IMO.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
The Twins will be there til the end of the year. I just hope we have a nice lead before the last 3 games of the year at their place.

I have tickets to the Saturday game there - second to last day of the season. I hope we clinch it then if not before.

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Radke, only 24 ER's in last 74 IP...2.92 ERA

clear ace of White Sox over that stretch, no to mention the fact that he's pitching with cortisone injections (see Hermanson) and is going to have to retire this offseason, essentially 9 quality starts in last 10, only exception was when he couldn't get his shoulder loose against the Tigers and got knocked out early

Silva, 19 ER's in 50 2/3 IP, 3.38 ERA
co-ace with Jon Garland, beat the Sox

Santana's last 7 outings
Only 3 quality starts.
Has given up 4, 5, 2, 3, 3, 3, and 4 runs.
24 ER in 44 IP.
4.91 ERA. Huge start tonight versus DET.

The Twins' obvious problem has been Baker, Lohse and Bonser (and Silva/Radke the first two months).
Now the bottom of their rotation will be Garza and Guerrier, the former Sox farmhand we dealt for Marte.

If those last two turn out to be .500 pitchers, it will be a fight to the death with both Sox teams and the Twins.

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 11:22 AM
There's not a great reason to be optimistic UNLESS the White Sox starters can consistently get at least three quality starts every time through the rotation. If we get two or less, well, we've seen the results recently.

We have nearly 50 victories when we get a QS and less than 10 losses.

However, we've won only about one out of 3 games when we've scored less than 5 runs. I think we had a record close to .500 or maybe a couple above in those situations last year.

The Wall
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Twins have spent all of their energy to just get back into the field...just like Oakland of last couple years...I just have to wonder if they can keep this going for 8 more weeks. It would be hard with Liriano gone.

Chez
08-09-2006, 11:28 AM
The fact that the Twins are surging with the likes of Jason Tyner and Nick Punto in the line-up is remarkable. You may not like the Twinkies, but you've got to respect them as an organization -- they play hard and develop their own talent.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I'll say this. Of the 3 teams we are the ONLY team with a healthy starting 5. I'll go with that.

Minny and the Red Sox are scrambling to get starters. I think we have an advantage and I think Minny will cool off and have a bad streak and we already had ours.

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 11:43 AM
The Twins have yet to draft and successfully bring up a young pitcher since Radke. However, they've done well (like KW) in identifying talent from other organizations, such as Nathan, Santana, Liriano, Silva, Lohse, Bonser, Guerrier, etc. But look at examples like Baker and Adam Johnson as well.

We'll see with Garza.

They were really smart in 2003 to get K.Rogers and Shannon Stewart.

They've drafted Cuddyer, Morneau and Mauer, not to mention Hunter in the 90's (along with J. Jones, Koskie, AJ, Guzman from Yanks, Doug M.)

Made smart trades to get rid of unsignable veterans such as Milton, giving them Bartlett.

Great bullpen, always...if Balfour didn't get hurt, even better. But Crain and Rincon are top-notch, only weakness is lack of a big-time lefty, with Romero and Guardado gone. Dennis Reyes is OKAY.

Only thing you can really complain about is letting David Ortiz get away. Think how this decade would have gone with Ortiz producing for the Twins as he has in Boston. Scary. To go with that pitching, speed, fundamentals and defense.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
The fact that the Twins are surging with the likes of Jason Tyner and Nick Punto in the line-up is remarkable. You may not like the Twinkies, but you've got to respect them as an organization -- they play hard and develop their own talent.

Exactly. I have great respect for the Twins organization. Arguably, they've done more with less over a long period of time than any other team.

However, I still feel that we will finish ahead of them this year and as of right now, I am more worried about Boston. We'll see - it should be an exciting finish.

Huisj
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm sorry. I hate to be the optimist here, but I really feel that Liriano's dominance for THIS year could be over.

Also, Radke's shoulder is so bad that he's retiring after the season.

Yes, Silva's been a little better - than when he was the worst pitcher in the league for the first 2 months.

Baker and Bonser were not good and I wouldn't expect much from Garza.

Unless their offense stays on fire, they won't finish ahead of us, IMO.

In some weird way, I always see Radke's retirement as trouble for other teams. It almost seems like since he announced it, he's been pitching really well like he knows it's almost the end so he's just gutting things out and giving it all he has even though his shoulder is screwed up. He's looked a lot better recently than he did early in the season.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:58 AM
In some weird way, I always see Radke's retirement as trouble for other teams. It almost seems like since he announced it, he's been pitching really well like he knows it's almost the end so he's just gutting things out and giving it all he has even though his shoulder is screwed up. He's looked a lot better recently than he did early in the season.

If he can keep that up, I give it up to him.

Mohoney
08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Only thing you can really complain about is letting David Ortiz get away. Think how this decade would have gone with Ortiz producing for the Twins as he has in Boston. Scary. To go with that pitching, speed, fundamentals and defense.

The Twins would never have been able to sign Ortiz to that $52 million extension.

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
They're paying Hunter and Radke a ton of money.

However, it would probably be impossible to sustain three salaries like that, which is why they will need all the revenue they can get to pay Santana, Liriano, Nathan, Morneau, Mauer and Cuddyer, among others.

hawkjt
08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
I have that feeling that Radke is playing possum with all this ''shoulder pain''.

Either that or one of these time he will throw a pitch and his arm will just fall right out of the socket.

If Radke hangs in , so will the twins. Should be interesting to see if Garza is ready for the big time. But based on their history, I would guess he will be lights out.

At the very least I doubt the sox will see Liriano in the next few weeks when we play two series against them. Now if we could manage to miss either radke or santana in each series- we should have a shot.

Then we do not play the twins again til the last series of the season in minny. By then Lirano may be back but hopefully the twins will not want to risk him in a meaningless(for them)game. That saturday morning game in minny that will not be televised shapes up to be a huge game if the race is close- wonder if they will find a way to televise it back to chicago?

cleanwsox
08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
The Twins would never have been able to sign Ortiz to that $52 million extension.

I think they could have afforded the first year in 2003 when they let him go. I think the Red Sox only paid him 1.25 million or something. Plus, the Twins have paid to keep players around before in the past (Radke, Hunter, Santana). I doubt they would have let him get away without a fight.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
He was put on the 15 day disabled list retroactive to Tuesday the 8th so he is eligible to come off it on the 23rd.

Lip