PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Crede getting Wright-like hype?

Dan Mega
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I know that David Wright (Mets) is a phenom and has been brought up in MVP talks for the NL, but look at his numbers compared to Joe Crede:

David Wright:
AVG .312
HR 22
RBI 85
RUNS 71
FPCT .954

Joe Crede:
AVG .304
HR 24
RBI 75
RUNS 61
FPCT .973

Wright bats 5th in the lineup while Crede usually bats 7th, so I'm sure that Wright has a little more protection at his spot in the lineup. On top of that, Wright plays in the worst division in the majors and his slightly better numbers against less surperior pitching. Joe is a far better defensive 3B than Wright is.

So whenever its MVP talk in the NL its Pujols or Wright. In the AL its Ortiz, Ortiz, Ortiz, with a splash of Jeter/A-Rod.

Am I crazy or should Joe be more highly regarded than he is now? I admit to being a Crede detractor in the past (and was clamoring for Fields in early 2005, boy was I wrong) but the guy is getting the job done day in and day out.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm lovin Joe Crede. He should have been an All-Star - ahead of Glaus.

I only have one complaint with his whole game - not working the count and taking walks.

Defensively, he's about as good as anyone I've ever seen.

Some people say that Inge or someone else is better defensively. I have a hard time even imagining it.

MsSoxVixen22
08-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I know what you're saying but in all honesty, it doesn't matter. I don't think Joe cares that he doesn't get as much hype as he deserves. We all know how good Joe is and the man deserves a Golden Glove. Will he get it? I doubt it. Joe doesn't kiss the right people's asses. That's OK, we all love Joe and know how good he is! :bandance:

eriqjaffe
08-09-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't want Crede to star getting tons of hype until AFTER he signs a 6-year, $36 million extention. ;)

lakeviewsoxfan
08-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Great question. I wish I had an answer. I would guess it would revolve around that the talent in the AL is far superior than the NL. Playing in NY also probably has something to do with it also.

mrwag
08-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Such is life being a Sox fan/player - no respect. We're all about flying under the radar.

Shakey Bonez
08-09-2006, 09:44 AM
For the same reasons you stated - the NL Is MLB Lite this year.

There's just not a lot of big name, stand-outs players. Players who are having "good" years are looking "great" because of the overall lack of Great Teams/Players.

FedEx227
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
::Cue the picture of the New Yorker's view of the United States::

He plays in Chicago and not New York, end of story.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Here's one reason: Crede plays in Chicago. Chicago is not New York. Chicago is not Boston. Therefore, Chicago gets no hype.

MeteorsSox4367
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
As some of the other posters have said, Crede just plays in the wrong town and for that matter, the wrong part of the wrong town. If Crede were a Cub (they can keep Ramirez, we have a real third baseman, thanks), then he might get some national attention.

ESPN's baseball realm consists of the Yankees, Boston, the Mets, the Dodgers, the Cubs and occasionally, St. Louis and Cleveland. They also seem to have an interest in Oakland at times for whatever reason.

Bottom line - David Wright plays for the Mets. Joe Crede plays for the Sox. While Wright's a helluva player and seems like a quality human being, a lot of the pub he receives is because he plays in New York.

wilburaga
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
I was surprised that in the current edition of Baseball America, in the category of best American League defensive third baseman, Joe did not finish in the top three. (1 Lowell, 2 Chavez, 3 Inge) These rankings are purportedly based on surveys of league managers.

I really don't get it. It seems Crede makes every play, especially in crunch time. I'd rather have him in the hot corner than any of those guys.

W

DeadMoney
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
On the Crede vs. Wright, it's simple.
- Crede, AL with MANY MVP candidates.
- Wright, NL with few MVP candidates (hell, their wild card leader is barely over .500 and generally .500 teams don't have players with much of a shot at MVP).

I only have one complaint with his whole game - not working the count and taking walks.

I somewhat agree because I believe he has a great sense of the strike zone, which would mean he COULD walk more (but do we want him to, with who's batting behind him?). The only thing is, low BB's normally would indicate high K's or swinging at bad pitches A LOT, and Crede doesn't do K a lot (or swing an an inordinate amount of bad pitches). He'll put the ball in play for you nearly every time, which IMO is huge with him batting 7th, and quite often with guys on base. His average AND power numbers go up and his K's stay relatively low. I don't think you can ask too much more from this guy.

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Also This is the first season Crede has been consistent on offense, his D was never questioned. Unfortunately last year a lot of people....both in the media and on this board.....made Crede the Poster Child for the "weakspot" on the team. If he keeps this offensive production up for a few straight years he'll get all the hype he can handle.....and with Boras as his agent he'll probably be replacing A-rod at third for the Yanks.

soxfan13
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Wright doesnt bother me but the recent players, coaches poll of best players at their positions Crede wasnt even in the top 3 in the American league. Now thats horrible:angry:

Palehose13
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Also This is the first season Crede has been consistent on offense, his D was never questioned. Unfortunately last year a lot of people....both in the media and on this board.....made Crede the Poster Child for the "weakspot" on the team. If he keeps this offensive production up for a few straight years he'll get all the hype he can handle.....and with Boras as his agent he'll probably be replacing A-rod at third for the Yanks.

Agreed, except for your last statement about the Yankees.

Other than the NY-Chicago argument, I'd have to say that David Wright has been awesome since day 1. Joe Crede has been taking his lumps and this is the first year he has lived up to the hype. Wright always lived up to it.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
On the Crede vs. Wright, it's simple.
- Crede, AL with MANY MVP candidates.
- Wright, NL with few MVP candidates (hell, their wild card leader is barely over .500 and generally .500 teams don't have players with much of a shot at MVP).

I somewhat agree because I believe he has a great sense of the strike zone, which would mean he COULD walk more (but do we want him to, with who's batting behind him?). The only thing is, low BB's normally would indicate high K's or swinging at bad pitches A LOT, and Crede doesn't do K a lot (or swing an an inordinate amount of bad pitches). He'll put the ball in play for you nearly every time, which IMO is huge with him batting 7th, and quite often with guys on base. His average AND power numbers go up and his K's stay relatively low. I don't think you can ask too much more from this guy.

I'm with you and I am willing to be patient with him on this aspect of his game. It's amazing how rarely he strikes out.

But, he sometimes hurts the Sox hwen they have a pitcher on the ropes and the other hitters have been getting 4-8 pitches per at bat and you know we are close to knocking the guy out and then Crede hits the first pitch into an out or DP. He has to learn the spots when patience is needed.

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Agreed, except for your last statement about the Yankees.

yeah that was kind of a stretch, but then again you never know with Steinbrenner.........

Paulwny
08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
So whenever its MVP talk in the NL its Pujols or Wright. In the AL its Ortiz, Ortiz, Ortiz, with a splash of Jeter/A-Rod.

Am I crazy or should Joe be more highly regarded than he is now? I admit to being a Crede detractor in the past (and was clamoring for Fields in early 2005, boy was I wrong) but the guy is getting the job done day in and day out.

Mentioned by the yankmee tv announcers last night, ~ " Guillen believes that DYE is the mvp of his team and should be considered for mvp when the voting takes place."
If Oz is pushing for Dye why would writers, etc consider Crede?

Britt Burns
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Wright in younger by Crede...his upside (at the plate at least) is a lot higher than Joe's. Don't get me wrong, Crede has been awesome this year-perhaps the Sox best all-around player (next to Dye, at least)-but Wright has a chane to be scary good.

CAREY33
08-09-2006, 10:39 AM
The other day I was thinking of how many third basemen I would rather have than Joe. From the defensive perspective, I'll take Joe over anyone in baseball. I know Ozzie has said he would rather have Joe than Arod, but I have a tough time agreeing with that. Who, if anyone, would you rather have than Joe Crede playing third for the Sox ?

"HELLO, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME !"- Former Jets Coach Herm Edwards

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
The other day I was thinking of how many third basemen I would rather have than Joe. From the defensive perspective, I'll take Joe over anyone in baseball. I know Ozzie has said he would rather have Joe than Arod, but I have a tough time agreeing with that. Who, if anyone, would you rather have than Joe Crede playing third for the Sox ?

"HELLO, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME !"- Former Jets Coach Herm Edwards

After the way ARod trotted out after that foul popup right before Dye knocked in the game-winning hit, I'll take Crede.

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 10:43 AM

A-Rods defense at third is highly suspect, he has 18 errors to Joes 9, now if you didn't have Thome-Konerko-Dye in the lineup I'd say A-Rod may be a suitable offensive replacement, but at this point everything Crede does offensively is icing. I'd stick with Joe

Paulwny
08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
After the way ARod trotted out after that foul popup right before Dye knocked in the game-winning hit, I'll take Crede.

I really had to laugh last night this was an excuse for A-Rod. Michael Kay, ~ " A-Rod wouldn't need to make that play at the stadium, the ball would have been in the stands." Amazing, Kay is really losing it.

OOPS, It was actually Paul O'Neill who made the statement.

cbotnyse
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I blame the Eastern Seaboard Programing Network.

Procol Harum
08-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I think the factors here are, as stated, Wright is younger, and plays in NYC and Crede took 2-3 years of seasoning before he really began to take off last year. Wright's also got more traditional "leading man" good looks", is from a part of Virginia (Virginia Beach=Navy town with huge out of area population) where they no longer speak with Southern accents as opposed to cracker Joe's Missouri twang.

Wright looks awfully solid, but I'll keep clutch-hittin' Joe..besides, I'm a cracker....:cool:

Rounding_Third
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I was surprised that in the current edition of Baseball America, in the category of best American League defensive third baseman, Joe did not finish in the top three. (1 Lowell, 2 Chavez, 3 Inge) These rankings are purportedly based on surveys of league managers.

I really don't get it. It seems Crede makes every play, especially in crunch time. I'd rather have him in the hot corner than any of those guys.

W

Lowell & Chavez are outstanding defensively, but Inge??????

Crede vs Inge - defense
fld%: .973 .965
RF 3.30 3.30

Also, my nephew was watching the Detroit TV feed when Sox were there last and they said: "With all due respect to Joe Crede, Brandon Inge is the best 3B in the AL Central". We think Hawk & DJ are true homers. Get a load of Detroit's nonsense!

Crede vs Inge - offense
AB: 382 382
BA: .304 .246
HR: 24 20
RBI: 75 60
K's: 41 98
OBP .336 .306
SLG: .555 .469
TB: 212 179

There is no comparison defensively or offensively. Joe towers over Inge. Joe's dominance over Inge was similar at the time of the statement, as well. Ooops! Inge has 4 SB; Joe has none. There's the difference!

palehozenychicty
08-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Lowell & Chavez are outstanding defensively, but Inge??????

Crede vs Inge - defense
fld%: .973 .965
RF 3.30 3.30

Also, my nephew was watching the Detroit TV feed when Sox were there last and they said: "With all due respect to Joe Crede, Brandon Inge is the best 3B in the AL Central". We think Hawk & DJ are true homers. Get a load of Detroit's nonsense!

Crede vs Inge - offense
AB: 382 382
BA: .304 .246
HR: 24 20
RBI: 75 60
K's: 41 98
OBP .336 .306
SLG: .555 .469
TB: 212 179

There is no comparison defensively or offensively. Joe towers over Inge. Joe's dominance over Inge was similar at the time of the statement, as well. Ooops! Inge has 4 SB; Joe has none. There's the difference!

I feel your points. Joe is better than Mr. Inge. Even the naked eye knows that from watching the two play. but my friend, please look:

:tealtutor:

Frater Perdurabo
08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Last month, Gerry Fraley of The Dallas Morning News ranked his first half AL MVP candidates. He had Thome first, Ortiz second and Crede third. My jaw nearly hit the floor.

Also, FWIW I've heard several people down here in Texas (who aren't necessarily Sox fans) compare Crede with Brooks Robinson.

Tekijawa
08-09-2006, 11:44 AM
He'll be BETTER THAN WRIGHT when Boras puts his Joe Crede Portfolio together... Be careful what you wish for... Joe Crede with no gold gloves will be cheaper than Joe Crede with two... I hope and pray that every other team out there doesn't even know who he is... I'd like him to stick around for awhile.

Chips
08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Who cares about how much hype he is getting? As long as he preforms good for us, that is all that matters.

Crede isn't even the MVP of this team, yet alone the entire American League.

Dolanski
08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Wright is 23 and putting up MVP numbers in his second(?) season. Crede is having a phenominal season, but we have been waiting for him to do this for some time. Crede was always hailed as the next coming of Robin Ventura, and if he had come out of the gates as that, he would get the press. But because he struggled for awhile, he gets forgotten. Keep in mind, this is the first season that Crede is showing some consistency at the plate.

mcfish
08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I know that David Wright (Mets) is a phenom and has been brought up in MVP talks for the NL, but look at his numbers compared to Joe Crede:

David Wright:
AVG .312
HR 22
RBI 85
RUNS 71
FPCT .954

Joe Crede:
AVG .304
HR 24
RBI 75
RUNS 61
FPCT .973

Wright bats 5th in the lineup while Crede usually bats 7th, so I'm sure that Wright has a little more protection at his spot in the lineup. On top of that, Wright plays in the worst division in the majors and his slightly better numbers against less surperior pitching. Joe is a far better defensive 3B than Wright is.

Am I crazy or should Joe be more highly regarded than he is now? I admit to being a Crede detractor in the past (and was clamoring for Fields in early 2005, boy was I wrong) but the guy is getting the job done day in and day out.You are crazy. Wright is 24 years old, had his MLB debut in 2004, and is arguably the best (non-pitcher) player on his team. Crede is 28 years old, had his debut in 2000, and I don't think anyone would argue he is the best player on his team. Dye is a better MVP candidate than Crede is.

David Wright also never had a year in which he was an automatic out for the majority of the season. Media types do not forget the past easily, and with Crede there are a lot of offensive struggles in the past to forget about.

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Wright is 23 and putting up MVP numbers in his second(?) season. Crede is having a phenominal season, but we have been waiting for him to do this for some time. Crede was always hailed as the next coming of Robin Ventura, and if he had come out of the gates as that, he would get the press. But because he struggled for awhile, he gets forgotten. Keep in mind, this is the first season that Crede is showing some consistency at the plate.

if there are 2 things that sports media love it's the Old Pro (i.e. Clemens, Thome, etc.) and the Upstart (i.e. Wright, Liriano, Pujols). The middle of road guys who become hot in the middle of thier careers aren't as big of a story.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
He'll be BETTER THAN WRIGHT when Boras puts his Joe Crede Portfolio together... Be careful what you wish for... Joe Crede with no gold gloves will be cheaper than Joe Crede with two... I hope and pray that every other team out there doesn't even know who he is... I'd like him to stick around for awhile.

That's nothing. Josh Fields will be better than both of them by 2008.

SpartanSoxFan
08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Besides what people have been saying about Wright playing in New York versus Chicago, I think some of the hype has to do with the fact that Wright is only 23 years old and Crede has been in the league putting up subpar offensive numbers for the majority of his career. It's that whole "Next Big Thing" thing.

Dan Mega
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
You are crazy. Wright is 24 years old, had his MLB debut in 2004, and is arguably the best (non-pitcher) player on his team. Crede is 28 years old, had his debut in 2000, and I don't think anyone would argue he is the best player on his team. Dye is a better MVP candidate than Crede is.

Can you show me where in my initial post that I said Crede should be the AL MVP....:?:

MrX
08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is he also has a good young SS to his left that they love to hype with him.

getonbckthr
08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Finding success at the age of 23 opposed to the age of 27 means something too.

ChiSoxFan7
08-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Youth and York. Nuff said.

I want Mags back
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
because everyone in the NL sucks

thomas35forever
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Here's one reason: Crede plays in Chicago. Chicago is not New York. Chicago is not Boston. Therefore, Chicago gets no hype.
How true. In baseball, Boston is Second City, not Chicago. Then it's St. Louis. Then Los Angeles. Chicago is fifth, but only when it comes to the Cubs.

cgaudin
08-09-2006, 04:35 PM

Hey, Steinbrenner! Joe Crede sucks! Don't waste your time.

mcfish
08-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Can you show me where in my initial post that I said Crede should be the AL MVP....:?:You said that Crede, not even the best MVP candidate on his team should be getting the same amount or more press than Wright, who is an actual, legitimate MVP candidate. And that was only 1 of the many reasons why Crede is not getting the same amount of hype as Wright.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Finding success at the age of 23 opposed to the age of 27 means something too.

Exactly. Joe Crede is my favorite player on the White Sox but Wright will baring a major injury be a far superior player. It has nothing to do with NY bias or any other excuse offered in this thread. Few players produce at David Wright's level period, let alone at such a young age.

Age 21
Joe Crede (2000) - AA Birmingham 138 Games, .306 BA, 21 HR
David Wright (2004) - NY Mets - 69 Games, .293 BA, .525 SLG, 14 HR

Age 22
Joe Crede (2001) - AAA Charlotte 124 G, .276 BA, 17 HR
David Wright (2005) - NY Mets - 160 G, .306 BA, .388 OBP, .523 SLG, 27 HR

Age 23
Joe Crede (2002) - White Sox 53 G, 200 AB, .285 BA, .515 SLG, 12 HR
David Wright (2006 through yesterday) - 417 AB, 22 HR, .312 BA, .385 OBP

Few players contribute at such a high level in their age 21 - 23 seasons as David Wright has. He also plays in a severe pitchers park / division (Florida, RFK, Atlanta). Joe Crede is a very good ballplayer but he is a few steps below Wright, even with the fielding advantage (which Joe has improved on from the first few seasons of average / below average play at 3B through 2004).

chisoxmike
08-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Because he plays on the Chicago White Sox.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I love Joe, but any time the Mets want to trade Wright for his straight up, I'm there!

buehrle4cy05
08-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Other than the NY-Chicago argument, I'd have to say that David Wright has been awesome since day 1. Joe Crede has been taking his lumps and this is the first year he has lived up to the hype. Wright always lived up to it.

I would combine the two reasons. Playing in NY+being good from the first day=a lot of publicity.

PKalltheway
08-10-2006, 01:24 AM
I would combine the two reasons. Playing in NY+being good from the first day=a lot of publicity.
Yup that'll do it. You can also make mention of the fact that even though Crede is AWESOME, he has 25 homers, and he's still 4th on the team in homers! That's why he isn't getting a lot of attention, but believe me, we Sox fans know how good he is, and how much he means to the team! You better believe it that the players realize this as well. Damn, this team is good!:cool: