caulfield12
08-09-2006, 07:12 AM
perspective...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/442036p-372303c.html

Bernie Williams' perspective on the Sox and winning the WS

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x09-ard1.htm

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 07:20 AM
"Rodriguez wasn't able to come up with a foul pop fly that went deep down the left-field line one pitch before Dye's game-winning hit. The flare bounced off the dirt between A-Rod and Melky Cabrera, and Dye then lashed the next pitch up the middle to score Tadahito Iguchi from second.

Torre said he never thought Rodriguez could get to the ball and A-Rod said he came within "about 10 feet."

"You could hit that ball 100 times and I can't catch it 100 times," Rodriguez said. He then added, jokingly, "I have enough trouble with the ones hit at me."
from nydailynews.com

This is where the NY media is different. They called A-Rod out immediately for what appeared to be a lack of hustle or bad angle on his route.

Ozzie might be complaining about the media and Sox fans, but how many times do you see Mackowiak getting blistered in an article for an error, Ozzie for playing him, Pods being asked what's up with his never throwing the ball or even thinking about home when the runner hasn't even reached third...asking Cotts what he thinks is wrong recently, etc., or why Ozzie's being so patient with his starting pitchers (promises to yank them at any sign of trouble to the contrary), etc., etc.

The Chicago writers normally reserve their questions (at least for print) for the manager, GM, Thome/Konerko/Dye/Crede/AJ or any of the members of the starting rotation.

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
And for those of you who were dying with curiosity about how Jason Giambi's dog is doing in chemotherapy....I guess this just goes in line with the televised batting practice and nightly replays of the games. I'm sure Boston will try to come up with some way to outdo them.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/giambis_dog_days_on_road_yankees_george_king.htm

PorkChopExpress
08-09-2006, 07:48 AM
And for those of you who were dying with curiosity about how Jason Giambi's dog is doing in chemotherapy....I guess this just goes in line with the televised batting practice and nightly replays of the games. I'm sure Boston will try to come up with some way to outdo them.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/giambis_dog_days_on_road_yankees_george_king.htm

I wonder if that dog gets some sort of steroids in aid of the treatment. I wonder if the prescription has been getting filled a little more often than it should be.

But seriously, I found this funny:

"The shift kills you," said Giambi, who is hitting .254. "People say, 'Your average is down,' but I have been hitting the ball as good as I have in a long time. The shift has cost me at least 25 hits and I would be hitting over .300 with those hits."

It looks like the Sox players aren't the only one making excuses. You're a pro baseball player, hit around the shift. Thome does it. Papi even dropped a bunt down the third base line the other day to avoid the shift.

The Immigrant
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Papi even dropped a bunt down the third base line the other day to avoid the shift.

His homerun heroics arise, that bunt is why I would give my left you-know-what to see Ortiz in a White Sox uniform. The people who were bashing him in an earlier thread need to get a clue - he is the ultimate team player.

Scottiehaswheels
08-09-2006, 08:49 AM
His homerun heroics arise, that bunt is why I would give my left you-know-what to see Ortiz in a White Sox uniform. The people who were bashing him in an earlier thread need to get a clue - he is the ultimate team player.I'd love to see Thome lay down a bunt vs. a lefty pitcher with Pods or Gooch on 2B sometime.....

DaleJRFan
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
From the article:

this is a team as confident as the center fielding of Rob Mackowiak and as sure as the right arm of left fielder Scott Podsednik

Scott Podsednik throws with his left hand. Is this righter asserting that Podsednik could throw better with his right hand?

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Ortiz has three bunt hits like that this season.

In fact, you could argue that it would be a possible double if you placed it hard enough (see Pods in TOR) to get it out of the infield and into short LF.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
From the article:

Scott Podsednik throws with his left hand. Is this righter asserting that Podsednik could throw better with his right hand?

Righter? Are you sure he's not a lefter?

soxfanreggie
08-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think A-Rod was loafing on that pop-up, but he is the highest paid player ever in the game. Of course the media is going to look at everything he does very closely. Mack won't make as much in his entire career as A-Rod does. Heck, A-Rod is even getting paid more than the entire Marlins team and then some. When you get paid that much and "struggle", they're going to blister you in the media every single day.

Scottzilla
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
does big papi have more bunt hits than pods?

Scottzilla
08-09-2006, 05:35 PM
looked more like he was timid going after it or lost it. maybe he saw some scary looking sox fans and didnt want to go into the stands.

JB98
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I'd love to see Thome lay down a bunt vs. a lefty pitcher with Pods or Gooch on 2B sometime.....

I love to watch Thome knock the goddamn ball off the wall or over it with Pods or Gooch on 2B.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2006, 06:24 PM
What the hell is this crap?

Overall, however, American League scouts wonder if the White Sox are paying a price for last October, when their starters carried them, practically turning back the clock to a time in baseball before complete games went the way of stirrup socks.

Two scouts who have seen them lately say the Sox pitchers look tired, noting that the radar-gun readings on Mark Buehrle and Garcia, in particular, have been down significantly.

"Enough to make a difference," was the way one AL scout put it yesterday. "Have all those innings from last year caught up with them? It's hard to say, but as a staff they haven't been nearly as dominant. And Buehrle and Garcia definitely look like they've got tired arms.

"In Baltimore (two starts ago) Garcia was around 86 on the gun with his fastball. He just didn't have any life on the ball."

So each pitcher throwing ONE complete game last OCTOBER is responsible for them having tired arms 10 months later? Or are these scouts trying to say that any team that's in the World Series risks having its pitchers crap out the next year?

:?:

MarySwiss
08-09-2006, 06:27 PM

So each pitcher throwing ONE complete game last OCTOBER is responsible for them having tired arms 10 months later? Or are these scouts trying to say that any team that's in the World Series risks having its pitchers crap out the next year?

Cheeses, you nailed it in your first sentence. It's crap.

batmanZoSo
08-09-2006, 06:30 PM

Yeah, it's karma paying us back. :rolleyes:

The 1998 Yankees had everything possible go their way and they followed it up with another championship. And an even better postseason record, which only we've matched.

Their pitching staff probably logged a whole extra season on their arms from 96-01. Didn't seem to bother them.

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
"Well, yes and no. Between '96 and '01, the Yankees had just two starters pitch 200-plus innings in consecutive seasons Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens. OK, so Pettitte missed doing so in all six of those years by 8 1/3 innings in '99, but only he and David Cone among the starters got four rings from that Yankees run, joined at various times by hurlers as disparate as Clemens, Orlando Hernandez, Jimmy Key, Kenny Rogers, Dwight Gooden, David Wells, Hideki Irabu and Denny Neagle."
from dailyherald.com

That's the biggest reason KW went out and got Vazquez (although he's also thrown a ton of pitches in his career for his age) and had McCarthy to pick up the slack, although Brandon hasn't been used yet.

And Vazquez probably has the lowest number of innings pitched per start, so that hasn't helped us either.

Vernam
08-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't think A-Rod was loafing on that pop-up, but he is the highest paid player ever in the game. Of course the media is going to look at everything he does very closely. Depends on what "loaf" means. If it means "not trying," then he didn't loaf. If it means "not trying your best," then he did.:cool:

If he were average instead of the highest-paid player in the game, he wouldn't get away with that crap for even a month. Compare his effort to how Crede -- bad back and all -- dived after that shallow foul pop the same night. In a nutshell, that's what I love about our team.

Vernam