PDA

View Full Version : Which Team, as a Sox fans "Hate" more,Yankees or Cubs?

ZombieRob
08-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Growing up its always been the Yankees and there pompous fans.They make Cub actually a joy to be around.For the 32 years ive watched the Sox ,Baseball,Media have shoved them down our throats to the point it makes me sick . And BTW you can throw Fox-Sports in the Yankee kiss-a** club.

CanBuehrleWait
08-09-2006, 01:42 AM
I vote neither. How about the Red Sox? I don't like the Yankees but I respect them because of their history. You would think the Red Sox won 26 world series with how much hype they get.

southwstchi4life
08-09-2006, 01:51 AM
I have to say it. As a former south sider with obnoxious cubs fans on my moms side. I root for the white sox (and against who ever they are in a race with), then anybody who plays the cubs. Can't stand the unknowledgable baseball fan, who only talks about there park. which is a whole in the ground with polls all over blocking seats. You see I go to the cell to watch baseball, Most cub fans forget that even goes on during a game. All I hear about from them is there park. At least the yankee fans I know of actually know about there team and watch the game.

MUsoxfan
08-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Ummm...Yankees. They're in our league.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Cubs first, Yankees second.

ZombieRob
08-09-2006, 02:03 AM
I despise the Cubs for that reason (the fan who talks about the park).but what i saw monday night at the cell was alot of fans in the club suites and the right field corner restaurant worried more about what wine they were drinking then the ballgame.So yes There is Sox fans who just go to the games just to be seen or to brag they were there.Like good Sox fans there is good knowledgible Cub fans as well.
I know in Chicago the Cubs are shoved down our throats and i belive someday that will eventually change.But as the Yankees are concerned its ridiculous how Major media outlets brag and talk Yankees Red sox like we dont even exist,even when we won the series the New York media thought it was a fluke .

TDog
08-09-2006, 04:29 AM
I hate the A's the most. The Cubs aren't even in the top 10. I hate the Yankees second-most I might feel differently if I was a young Sox fan in the early '60s instead of the early '70s. But they're not in my top 10 either.

That's how much I hate the A's.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I grew up in the '50s when the only teams able to compete with the Sox were the Yankees and Indians. The Indians were in a decided downturn when I came along, so it was the Yankees who became the chief source of my hatred. They still are.

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel." (Or is it General Motors?)

The Dude
08-09-2006, 07:15 AM
:threadsucks:

Scottiehaswheels
08-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Yankees are way down the list for me... Twins/Tigers/Indians rank above either Cubs/Yankees... But I agree with a previous poster in that I hate the Red Sox more than the Yanks too

Paulwny
08-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I grew up in the '50s when the only teams able to compete with the Sox were the Yankees and Indians. The Indians were in a decided downturn when I came along, so it was the Yankees who became the chief source of my hatred. They still are.

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel." (Or is it General Motors?)

It's GM

bryPt
08-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Cubs, by far. If I lived in NY, and had to hear Yankee crapola all the time, then yes, the yankees would be most hated. But when you live in CUB NATION, it makes it very easy to have the flubs as the most hated team.

kraut83
08-09-2006, 08:18 AM
I don't live in Chicago, but the Cubs are irrelevant to me. I reserve my baseball hate for the Twins, Indians, A's and Red Sox

MeteorsSox4367
08-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I'll go with the Yankees. Even damn time you turn on ESPN, if it's not something about Ortiz and Ramirez and Boston, then it's Yankees, Yankees and more Yankees.

Jeter makes a great play and it's turned into a made-for-TV movie. Uribe makes a diving catch in the stands in the World Series and isn't given the credit he should.

Even when I was a kid in the 70s, it was always the Yankees and Reggie Jackson and it didn't help their cause by beating the Royals, my second-favorite AL team, in the playoffs.

As for the Cubs, I don't like the fact that people consider Wrigley a shrine, while the Old Comiskey (God rest its soul) was thought a dump in a crappy neighborhood.

When I've gone to Wrigley to see the Pirates or other NL teams I like, it seems like a lot of people are there for the experience and could give a damn about the actual baseball game. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm a hardcore baseball fan. I could give a damn about who's singing the seventh-inning stretch or the other peripheral crap.

Follow your team, watch the game. If you pay attention, baseball's a great sport.

That said, I hate - absofrigginlutely hate - the Yankees. As for the Cubs, it's the whole Sox-Cubs hatred thing. My sister, brother-in-law and three nephews are all Cub fans.

Obviously, I love my family and can't hate them just because they have bad taste in baseball teams. But I sure as hell can't root for their team.

MsSoxVixen22
08-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I hate the Yankees, especially A-Rod he's so damn cocky. I don't really hate the Cubs, I hate the Cub fans, especially when they start talking all their bull****. And regarding Boston, I'm sick of people going on and on about Ortiz!

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
It's GM

I always thought that, too, but over the past few years, I've seen the U.S. Steel quote. I'm glad my earlier recollection was right.

Thanks.

Paulwny
08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I always thought that, too, but over the past few years, I've seen the U.S. Steel quote. I'm glad my earlier recollection was right.

Thanks.

I always heard GM, but I just found this:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/rooting_for_the_yankees_is_like_rooting_for_us_ste el_1950/

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 09:07 AM
I always heard GM, but I just found this:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/rooting_for_the_yankees_is_like_rooting_for_us_ste el_1950/

Well, I guess U.S. Steel it is, or to make it modern, USX.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Yankees, only because they think they can but themselves titles.

I don't necessarily hate the Cubs; I more or less feel sorry for them because they're so stupid.

robiwho
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I agree with MsSoxVixen, I hate the Yankees the most as a team -- but Cub fans definitely top my list of most hated fans, closely followed by Red Sox fans. Somehow, I've never had a really bad experience at a game with fans of any other team.

MarySwiss
08-09-2006, 09:59 AM
It's gotta be the Yankees. There is just so much about them to hate. Actually, I pretty much hate everything about New York.

NoShoesJoe
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
To me, the Cubs are a pesky dung fly that you simply need to swat twice/yearly. Even though we only play the Yankees 2x (I remember when the Sox where simply in the AL, then the AL West and they played more frequently), they're still the biggest rivalry. Red Sox are second, Indians are third, Minnesota is fourth, and Detroit is fifth.

davenicholson
08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
A year ago this might have been a tough call for me. But last October made the Cubs irrelevant to me. I truly do not care what they do--the fact that they stink makes it easier!:D:

As I've said before, growing up a Sox fan in the 60's has given me a hatred for the Yankees that will never die. ESPN and Steinbrenner's Yankee$ make it easier to maintain that hatred! :D:

Uncle_Patrick
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Between the two choices, I guess I'd choose the Cubs, although truth be told, I don't care too much about either team. I think I just dislike Cubs fans more than Yankees fans since I have to deal with the former more often.

Britt Burns
08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
The Yankees in a walk. The arrogance, the way they have single handedly changed the economics of the game, the holier-than-thou attitude...ugh.

pdimas
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
It's gotta be the Yankees. There is just so much about them to hate. Actually, I pretty much hate everything about New York.

I concur. I also pretty much hate everything about NYC. As far as the Cubs are concerned I am pretty much indifferent to them and couldn't care less if they won or lost. Cubs fans do get on my nerves sometimes but I have seen less and less of that. Boy were there some obnoxious yankees fans in the stands yesterday and on the concourse leaving the game all talking about all of their World Series championships :rolleyes:.

One even turned to his buddy and said, "Who would build a ballpark in the middle of this dump let's get out of here." I stopped him and asked if he knew what the hell he was talking about. I was like buddy you might want to look around and see what the homes are selling for in that dump of a neighborhood. I said you 'll be surprised to find most are selling for upwards of $500k. He was shocked and then I asked where he was from and of course he said the north side. ****ing ignorant ******* yankthese fans....

Chips
08-09-2006, 10:37 AM
:threadblows:

Good grammar would help.

Chips
08-09-2006, 10:38 AM

I hate the Mets.

CRAW
08-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Personally, I hate Cub FANS, and hate the Yankees as a whole.

sullythered
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
My "hate list" in order of intensity:

1. Red Sox
2. Red Sox
3. Fenway Park
4. Twins
5. Indians
6. Yankees
7. Tigers
8. Flubs (only because of my close proximity to their annoying fans)

areilly
08-09-2006, 11:23 AM
One even turned to his buddy and said, "Who would build a ballpark in the middle of this dump let's get out of here." I stopped him and asked if he knew what the hell he was talking about. I was like buddy you might want to look around and see what the homes are selling for in that dump of a neighborhood. I said you 'll be surprised to find most are selling for upwards of $500k. He was shocked and then I asked where he was from and of course he said the north side. ****ing ignorant ******* yankthese fans....

I would've asked him if he's ever been to Yankee Stadium. The south Bronx isn't exactly the nicest part of NYC. And don't even get me started on riding the D-train back after a game...

BigPapaPump
08-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't discriminate I hate all other teams and fans equally. Although Yankee fans last night made my blood boil. :angry:

Scottzilla
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
haterade - :gulp:

whitesoxwilkes
08-09-2006, 01:14 PM
I grew up a Yankees fan, and still have been known to pull for them in the playoffs when the White Sox aren't involved. I'm indifferent to the Chubs and my Red Sox hate diminished after we thumped them last year.

And once again Mary paints with her super-broad brush.

Chips
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
I grew up a Yankees fan, and still have been known to pull for them in the playoffs when the White Sox aren't involved. I'm indifferent to the Chubs and my Red Sox hate diminished after we thumped them last year.

And once again Mary paints with her super-broad brush.

I do the same thing, there are 28 teams I hate more than the Yankees. Except for now of course, I can't stand the miserable bastards.

Deebs14
08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
It was always the Yankees and Flubs, but after the last few seasons I HATE everything about the ****ing Red Sox. They win one ****ing title and now their **** smells like roses!

**** them and the Flubs. :mad:

KMKsuburbannoise
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
i don't like the cubs just because. But currently i'm really hating both the Yankees and the Tigers, but the Tigers are actually playing good ball so I respect that. The Yankees just buy there team and i don't respect that.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I hate only one team and one fandom - da flubbies.

MVP
08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't hate the Yankees. Maybe that has to do with not being around in the 50's when we were finishing second to them just about every year. To me, the Yankees command respect. They do have 26 or so championships under their belts. If their fans want to gloat about that, then that's fine. They have that right. They at least have a reason to. It's obnoxious fans like those of the Cubs who haven't won in almost 100 years that get under my skin.

buehrle4cy05
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I hate the Red Sox more than I hate the Yankees and Cubs.

Dibbs
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Definately hate the Cubs much, much more than the Yankees. I would put the Red Sox, Indians, Twins and Tigers as more hated than the Yankees too. A's and Yankees are close. (I used too hate the A's more until they got the Big Hurt)

SouthSide_HitMen
08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I would say most White Sox fans hate the Yankees the most.
I would say most fair weather White Sox fans would hate the Cubs the most (with a few Flubsessed as well as die hard and regular White Sox fans sprinkled in this camp).

The Yankees are an easy winner (in my book) with Minnesota gaining ground over the rest of the AL during this decade. We had a good rivalry with Milwaukee but I never hated the Brewers. There is nothing good to say about Cleveland or Boston either.

whitesoxfan1986
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Living in Cub-Land sucks, but like a previous poster said, last October makes the Cubs irrelavent. I could give a rat's ass about the Cubs now. October of '03 was a different story because I got harrassed by Cub fans everyday until they blew it. I have moved on to hating the Red Sox and Yankee$ now. It's funny, how much I hate the Red Sox now, because until last year, they were my second favorite AL team( third overall, 1)White Sox 2) Dodgers) because they were my first little league team. When I was 8 I would go out of my way to watch them, but my dad said I was not allowed to watch baseball because they screwed the White Sox out of the World Series in '94. I turned off baseball in June of '96 and did not watch it again for another 4 years, due to my dad hating the '94 strike. I started watching baseball again in after the our Sox won the division in 2000 and was disappointed every year until last. While the White Sox were out of the playoffs until last year, I would continue to cheer the Red Sox until last year when following their WS win, coverage got so ridiculous that it pissed me off so much that I decided I could not like this team anymore. Red Sox=Yankee$ on my hate list now.

nysox35
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I do the same thing, there are 28 teams I hate more than the Yankees. Except for now of course, I can't stand the miserable bastards.

As I've said on here, NYY is my #2 team as well. I'm a partial season ticket holder in the bleachers.
I'm hoping for a NYY-White Sox ALCS so I can see the Sox play again out here, but if we don't win the division, it's more likely to be in the ALDS.

I feel bad for my sister b/c she is NYY #1 and White Sox #2 and she was at last night's game and apparently had a lot of WSox fans taunting her and some even threw peanuts at her and her bf.
I tried to tell her not to worry about it, that those people were either
1. Drunk idiots
2. Not real fans, like we all are. Some people get off more on seeing "hated" teams (cubs, yankees, red sox) lose than their own team win.
3. A combination of 1 and 2.
I also said that in the long run, NYY will win their division, so don't worry.
I felt bad b/c it's her one time to see her team all year...

That said, I'm glad we pulled it out! :smile:

PS - to answer the actual question, I hate the Cubs & Red Sox nearly evenly, slight edge to the Cubs.

ws05champs
08-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I absolutely hate the Cubs. They deserve nothing. They don't deserve their fans. They don't deserve their publicity. They don't deserve to be in a major market city. They don't deserve to be in the major leagues.:angry: :angry:

While I'm obviously in the minority, I do not hate the Yankees. Regardless of the publicity and money, they have consistently good teams and a great tradition. As far as their fans, if you have to live in a garbage heap like New York City, it's a good thing you have something to make your life less miserable. It would be a shame to see a whole city of people turn to anarchy and cannibalism.

Deuce
08-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Easy... Cubs. I don't have to deal with Yankees fans on a daily basis. Kinda an "out of sight, out of mind" thing. I have to deal with the Cubs on a near constant basis. Kinda a "God, I ****ing hate everything about this team including this ******* fan standing next to me" type of thing.

Deuce

southside rocks
08-09-2006, 04:09 PM
As far as their fans, if you have to live in a garbage heap like New York City, it's a good thing you have something to make your life less miserable. It would be a shame to see a whole city of people turn to anarchy and cannibalism.

I agree. Derek Jeter's cologne is a small price to pay for keeping THAT off the evening news. :o:

bigfoot
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Hate, such an ugly word. I try to reserve hate for something that really deserves the emotion:angry: .

Yankees, I find their attempts to purchase championships amusing, and discount the rings won prior to 1975 as nothing more than the days when they used Phil/KC A's(and others) as farm teams. When you mention this to NY fans they :redface: and have admit that you may be correct.

Thought the 60's were a bit trying for several years of "so close, yet so far"

Cubs, since 10-26-05, I haven't heard a sound from a Cub fan that makes any difference!:D:

I just can't bring myself to "hate" the less fortunate in the world. They are just to be pitied.:wink:

johnr1note
08-09-2006, 05:05 PM
For me, its always been the Cubs.

I am a White Sox fan first, of course, and after that an AMERICAN LEAGUE fan. I really haven’t sensed as deep of a historical rivalry with the teams the White Sox usually compete against. I view all the other AL teams as "lodge brothers." Occasionally, there's a rivalry, like with the Indians, or Twins, or this year, with the Tigers, but we play together on the all star team, and I always pull for the AL team in the Series, because if the AL wins the series, you can logically argue you're in the company of champions, and your league and team is better.

I can't even hate the Yankees (I part company with most Sox fans here). This is partly because my Dad was a Yankees fan when he was a kid (he idolized Mickey Mantle). But by the time I was at an age where I understood the powers that be in baseball, the Yankees were a nothing team. Even when they won in the 70s, it felt so manufactured, how could you hate them? I liked Billy Martin. I liked Bob Lemon. Many White Sox fans vehemently hate the Yankees, but that hatred was born of old prejudice from another era. Even today, with the Yankees once again the perennial power, the “evil empire,” I find it shallow to hate a team simply because its successful. Are their fans arrogant? You betcha. But they have a REASON to be arrogant. Their team wins all the time. You can’t argue with success. Its like hating wealthy people because they are wealthy. It feels un-American to me.

The Cubs, on the other hand, are pathetic, and thier fans view thier baseball team as special and holy and ours as either hated or irrelevant. I hate the Cubs and all they represent more than anything in the world of sports. Prior to last year, neither big league club in town had won the series since the October Revolution, and I was in diapers the last time the Sox won the pennant prior to 2005. Chicago baseball fans would tend to focus on what they needed to get through a long, dead end season, and that usually meant running down the other team and its fans. However, its hard for Cubs fans to imagine, but it is a verifiable fact that the White Sox have historically been a more competitive team down through the years, and up until the 1994 strike, consistently outdrew the Cubs year after year. Well. even after the White Sox have now won the world series, and are in a position to compete for another title, and the Cubs are looking like they could potentially contend for tying the 1962 Mets for worst record in baseball history, it is apparently a forgone conclusion today, and always, that Chicago is a “Cub town.” And I don't get it. The Cubs have the financial strength to build an organization to win year in and year out just like like the Yankees, Dodgers, Braves, Cardinals (choose whatever team you know that has consistently contended) but they never seem to get it right. They have a record of failure (particularly in the second half of the 20th century through today) that outstrips any in the history of modern sport. They sell an image of beer, sunshine, a quaint little bandbox of a park, and most importantly, the ghost of Harry Carry. It has nothing to do with baseball. Yet, even with the White Sox the reigning champs, the Cubs are still considered the most popular team in Chicago.

Call me "flubsessed" or whatever you want. I HATE that about the Cubs -- the "holier than thou" attitude, the "I'm a better person because of my devotion to the Cubs," or "I'm a better person because I've suffered as a Cubs fan." Baloney! (Red Sox fans are a lot like that too, but I don't wathc ESPN, and could give a rat's behind about the east coast). Yes, the Cubs are a lot less relevant now that we've won. But nothing would make me happier to see them totally fail for the rest of eternity. That franchise deserves it, and thier fans deserve it.

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Growing up its always been the Yankees and there pompous fans.They make Cub actually a joy to be around.For the 32 years ive watched the Sox ,Baseball,Media have shoved them down our throats to the point it makes me sick . And BTW you can throw Fox-Sports in the Yankee kiss-a** club.
I dont understand why the hate for the yankees. They are hated for being a successful franchise? It reminds me how people complain about the east coast bein the biggest spenders, then when the sox spend a lot of money, we applaud it

i also dont see why anyone who is not a cub fan should care about them. The rivalry means nothing anymore, let the cub fans be in denial, we have a world series and a promising future

monkeypants
08-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I hate both teams but I also respect the Yankees. I have no respect for the Cubs.

soxwon
08-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Ummm...Yankees. They're in our league.

ummmm cubs- i like the yankees cause their in our league.

soxwon
08-09-2006, 06:32 PM
i absolutely positively
want the tigers to crash n burn
i HATE them more than the Cubs.
No way i want them in the Series
If not the sox, id rather see yankees-mets
if its det-mets
Mets in 5

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 06:35 PM
The only thing that bothers me is that if u dont hate the cubs or such, u are considered "less" of a sox fan

Paulwny
08-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I dont understand why the hate for the yankees. They are hated for being a successful franchise? It reminds me how people complain about the east coast bein the biggest spenders, then when the sox spend a lot of money, we applaud it

It's not always about the money.
Here's a few reasons to hate the yankmees, if you have ~ 15-20 min to spare,

http://www.yanks-suck.com/reasons.php

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Most of these seem like disgruntled fans who hate the yankees

I mean for 3, it wasnt the yankees fault williams didnt win mvp, its cuz he pissed off the media writers and most of these are bad taste tripe
I mean, one of them is because theyre a "Drug rehab center?"

Hell, why not hate the whitesox cuz theyre as crooked as vegas in the same aspect?

ZombieRob
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Good Stuff! i only remember maybe 17 of those facts ,But out of those 17 that i did know are reasons enough why i hate them .

asindc
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
For me, it's this way:

1) Boston, for whining about how people should join them in romanticizing losing;

2) Minny, for playing in that homer dome;

3) That drunk idiot in Texas who decided to pay ARod all that money; and

4) Bud (I like being pretend Commissioner) Selig.

Yes, I know, the last two are not teams, but in terms of animous, that's where I am. Oh yeah, the Cubs are annoying for obvious reasons, but I think of them as pathetic mostly.

vegyrex
08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I respect the Yankees

I have zero respect for the cubs

PAPChiSox729
08-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I respect the Yankees a lot. And I think the Red Sox are my least favorite team, so I always want to see them get beat down.