PDA

View Full Version : What's the Policy on standing up during games?

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-09-2006, 12:41 AM
I was at the game today, and some dude behind me yelled at me for standing up after a close play by Crede was made. He said "Sit down next time, I can't see what's going on." I felt obligated to sit down the rest of the game and couldn't really stand up and clap when I really wanted to. So are we supposed to sit down when bang-bang plays happen? What's the policy on standing up during games?

rbeze09
08-09-2006, 12:47 AM
i think thats ridiculous some1 would complain about u standing up to applaud a good play. As far as i'm concerned u pay ur money to watch the game and u support your team...thats what should be expected of u as a fan. It's a different story if ur standing up with 2 outs nobody on base or somthing. I know i stand up whenever i see a big play coming on....awesome game tonite by the way, it was pandamonium in the bleachers

SouthSide_HitMen
08-09-2006, 12:47 AM
I was at the game today, and some dude behind me yelled at me for standing up after a close play by Crede was made. He said "Sit down next time, I can't see what's going on." I felt obligated to sit down the rest of the game and couldn't really stand up and clap when I really wanted to. So are we supposed to sit down when bang-bang plays happen? What's the policy on standing up during games?

Wait for the whistle. :D:

As far as a ballgame goes, you should wait until after three outs (or a pitching change) unless you have a little kid who needs to go to the bathroom. At least that is what I do.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2006, 12:51 AM
I personally never leave my seat until after a half inning is complete. When returning to my seat, I wait until at least an out has been recorded, then I quickly go back to my seat.

There shouldn't be an issue with applauding a brilliant play...That's kind of part of what being a fan is all about!

OzzyTrain
08-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Happen to use once. If you are in upper deck and you are walking on the concourse, you run outside to the rails and look. Some guy sent a little kid down to tell us to move. After we laughed he started swearing at us.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm not talking about leaving to get up to go somewhere. I'm talking about just standing up and cheering after great plays.

BainesHOF
08-09-2006, 01:10 AM
My policy is pretty simple outside the obvious times when most of the crowd stands up in unison. If someone in front of me stands up and blocks my view, I stand up so I can watch the game. If people in front of me sit down, then I sit down.

As an aside, it's interesting to watch the clowns who feel it's their duty to try to get other people to stand. It's as if they think they're part of the team. These clowns should worry less about what's happening in the stands and pay more attention to watching what's happening on the field.

southwstchi4life
08-09-2006, 01:10 AM
I personally never leave my seat until after a half inning is complete. When returning to my seat, I wait until at least an out has been recorded, then I quickly go back to my seat.

There shouldn't be an issue with applauding a brilliant play...That's kind of part of what being a fan is all about!

I agree, especilly with your first part. One of my biggest pet pieve is when people will stand up to stretch in the middle of a play of when ever they feel like it. With an exciting play. Everybody should be standing up. Some peole just need to lean common curtisy during the game.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
I agree with all the standing up and going between innings. I also agree with BainesHOF. That guy should stand up if he wants to see the game.

BadBobbyJenks
08-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Im all for standing up in big situations with 2 strikes on the opposing batters, and if any yankme fans behind me have a problem with it like they did tonight they can kiss my ass.

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 05:54 AM
You can stand for great plays, if someone disagrees, tell them to stand up too. Thats like saying u shouldnt stand during a homerun cuz people behind u wanna see the ball fly

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 06:33 AM
My policy is to only stand when my view is blocked by people standing in my line of sight. If the person behind me says anything about it, it says more about him than it does you.

If you're the only one standing up and the play is in progress, then the guy behind you is right.

Chez
08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
That's ridiculous. It's a ball game, not the opera. Stand and cheer whenever you want -- especially during close/exciting plays. If people want a guaranteed unobstructed view of the entire game, they should stay home and watch on TV.

rdwj
08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
If you stood to applaud a great play, the play was over, right? Then it's no problem. Standing in a big situation or AFTER a big play is perfectly acceptable. If you stood before the put-out, that's a bit rude.

I subscribe to the stand when people in front of you are standing rule for the most part.

itsnotrequired
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Someone gave you grief for standing after a play? That guy needs to get flogged.

Madvora
08-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Standing up during certain plays is fine as long as most of the crowd is also doing it. Usually it's just a reaction that you can't control.

The thing I hate is the guy (and there's ALWAYS one) in one of the first rows in the outfield who stands and faces backward for the whole game with a beer in his hand.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Standing up during certain plays is fine as long as most of the crowd is also doing it. Usually it's just a reaction that you can't control.

The thing I hate is the guy (and there's ALWAYS one) in one of the first rows in the outfield who stands and faces backward for the whole game with a beer in his hand.

"Look at me! I'm old enough to drink!"

Chez
08-09-2006, 09:06 AM
[quote=Madvora

The thing I hate is the guy (and there's ALWAYS one) in one of the first rows in the outfield who stands and faces backward for the whole game with a beer in his hand.[/quote]

Followed closely by the guy who feels that not only must he talk on his cell phone during the game, but that he must STAND (and perhaps wave to someone else in the crowd) while talking on his cell phone. :angry:

itsnotrequired
08-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Followed closely by the guy who feels that not only must he talk on his cell phone during the game, but that he must STAND (and perhaps wave to someone else in the crowd) while talking on his cell phone. :angry:

I hear you get better reception if you stand.

:rolleyes:

CaptainBallz
08-09-2006, 09:21 AM

That guy's a wankjob. After a big play it is not ony acceptable, it is encouraged that you stand, say "hell yeah", and cheer your team. If the guy insists on you never standing, tell him you'll give him a play-by-play..."Paulie threw the ball back to Freddy on the mound...":rolleyes:

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
IMO if you're a SOX fan and you see every other Sox fan standing, that usually means something good happened and unless your physically unable to you should be on your feet as well.

It's a ballgame not a damn ballet.....

Jerko
08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I stand if someone in front of me is standing. The other day though, there was this one girl who was a few rows in front of me, and she stood the ENTIRE time, facing away from the field. Most of the time, she was the ONLY one standing in the entire section (I was in the last row). She wasn't in my direct line of sight, but if your only reason for being at the game is to wiggle your ass at Southpaw because nobody in your group is paying any attention to you, go do it on the concourse. As for going to and from your seats between innings; has anyone tried that lately????? I did, and it took me FOREVER to get down to my seat, which was in the third row that particular night. I usually wait till there's an out or 2 and run down fast to beat the rush and get in as few people's way as possible.

35th&Shields
08-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Last night there was some kid in a black Sox t-shirt that you could see on the telecast every time a right-handed batter was at the plate. The ENTIRE game he talked on his cell phone and waved and generally acted like an idiot when he was on TV. If I was in the seat behind him I would have smacked him in his head. I wanted to reach through the TV and smack him myself.

ChiSoxFan7
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
The whole getting up to go places (i.e. the concessions bathroom, w/e) should be done during pitching change/half inning, but standing in the right situtaion is warrented. Close plays, homeruns, big runs, great d, big strikeouts all should get standing O's cuz last time i checked that's part of being a fan...:cool:

35th&Shields
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
What's the policy on standing up during games?
The US Cellular Field FAQ's offers the following:

Movement During Play (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#MovementDuringPlay)
"The White Sox encourage all guests to use courtesy and restrict movement in the seating areas during play. When returning to your seats, please wait for a break in the action (between innings, between batters, pitching changes, etc.) before entering the aisles." http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/trans.gif

Doesn't say anything about being a fan and cheering during play. I'd much, much, much rather be around people standing and cheering that some idiot who has to go in and out of the aisle every five minutes.

kevingrt
08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Im all for standing up in big situations with 2 strikes on the opposing batters, and if any yankme fans behind me have a problem with it like they did tonight they can kiss my ass.

You should ask them personally

Taliesinrk
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
This is a bunch of BS.. maybe I'm too young or not old-school enough; but come on. If it's a close/ exciting play/ time in the game get your ass out of your seat. Stand up and cheer. Damn. In years past that has been the #1 thing that frustrated me about going to Sox games.. the fact that I would be the only one standing. I guess sometimes I am that "clown" that tries to get others to stand; but mostly it's so that I can stand and not feel guilty about it.

At game 1 of the WS last year only half of our section would stand in the late innings. Some guys behind me were yelling to sit down; that's when I turned around and informed them how much I paid for my ticket and that for that much money I was gonna do whatever the hell I wanted. It was going well until some old folks got the ushers to tell our ENTIRE SECTION to sit down (the biggest bunch of BS I'd ever seen). Anyway, I got some 10 year old in front of me to go to the front of the section and we kindly informed everyone that it was the freaking world series and to get off their asses. Luckily for us, they did.. and it was a much better time.

CaptainBallz
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM
This is a bunch of BS.. maybe I'm too young or not old-school enough; but come on. If it's a close/ exciting play/ time in the game get your ass out of your seat. Stand up and cheer. Damn. In years past that has been the #1 thing that frustrated me about going to Sox games.. the fact that I would be the only one standing. I guess sometimes I am that "clown" that tries to get others to stand; but mostly it's so that I can stand and not feel guilty about it.

At game 1 of the WS last year only half of our section would stand in the late innings. Some guys behind me were yelling to sit down; that's when I turned around and informed them how much I paid for my ticket and that for that much money I was gonna do whatever the hell I wanted. It was going well until some old folks got the ushers to tell our ENTIRE SECTION to sit down (the biggest bunch of BS I'd ever seen). Anyway, I got some 10 year old in front of me to go to the front of the section and we kindly informed everyone that it was the freaking world series and to get off their asses. Luckily for us, they did.. and it was a much better time.

Oh, that would annoy the hell out of me. Some people just have tons of nerve with the attitude that their lameness is a constitutional right. You're at a FREAKIN' baseball game.

Reminds me of when I saw Pink Floyd back in '94 at Soldier Field. My friend and I were standing up, singing along, being goofs (we were 16) and these two tarts in front of us turn around and tell us to be quiet, sit down, and enjoy the show. It's a flippin' rock concert!! Stand up and enjoy the show!! Really... I won't mind.:rolleyes:

Some people just suck.

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh, that would annoy the hell out of me. Some people just have tons of nerve with the attitude that their lameness is a constitutional right. You're at a FREAKIN' baseball game.

Reminds me of when I saw Pink Floyd back in '94 at Soldier Field. My friend and I were standing up, singing along, being goofs (we were 16) and these two tarts in front of us turn around and tell us to be quiet, sit down, and enjoy the show. It's a flippin' rock concert!! Stand up and enjoy the show!! Really... I won't mind.:rolleyes:

Some people just suck.

Although in my earlier post I advocating getting off your ass I do have to say that I was also at Game 1 last year and my Dad (who was watching his last Sox game Live, He died of cancer in february) was stuck in a wheel chair in one of the handicapped sections in the outfield. Luckily that section is raised so people standing wasn't a problem, but that would be the only reason I'd sit down is if someone who, as I said, physically couldn't stand with me were to ask.

aside from that to hell with everyone else I'm on my feet.

BainesHOF
08-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Movement During Play (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#MovementDuringPlay)
"The White Sox encourage all guests to use courtesy and restrict movement in the seating areas during play. When returning to your seats, please wait for a break in the action (between innings, between batters, pitching changes, etc.) before entering the aisles."

People are so clueless about this. So many come and go whenever they feel like it. It's not going to change, but I've been saying, "People have no seat etiquette" loud enough for everyone to hear when someone walks in front of me during a pitch. I have aisle seats. The last time someone tried to walk in front of me during a key situation I told them to wait. The next pitch Konerko hit an RBI double. That clueless fan looked like he had just learned a lesson.

doogiec
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
... In years past that has been the #1 thing that frustrated me about going to Sox games.. the fact that I would be the only one standing. I guess sometimes I am that "clown" that tries to get others to stand; but mostly it's so that I can stand and not feel guilty about it.

At game 1 of the WS last year only half of our section would stand in the late innings. Some guys behind me were yelling to sit down; that's when I turned around and informed them how much I paid for my ticket and that for that much money I was gonna do whatever the hell I wanted...

So let me get this straight, you are the only one standing, and yet everyone else is wrong? Isn't it possible that the majority of Sox fans are knowledgeable enough about the game to know when a standing O is appropriate?

At the World Series game, did everyone else get their tickets for free? Or did they pay good money also to see the game? Exactly what amount of money did you pay for your ticket that trumps everyone else's right to see the game? I was at both games, and the crowd certainly seemed to be completely into the games. You don't need to be hopping up and down constantly to be loud and into the game.

Sox fans know enough about the game to stand after a great play. We don't need self appointed cheerleaders blocking the view of the game during routine at bats. The game is on the field, not in the stands. Nobody is paying hard earned money to see other fans trying to get themselves noticed.

Nobody should be ripped on for applauding AFTER a great play is made. The person who criticized the original poster is wrong, assuming he got up after the put out. But 99% of the time that I hear fans being told to sit down, it is either because they are repeatedly standing up in anticipation of the play (routine warning track fly balls, for example) or they are just trying to draw attention to themselves by standing at random times.

If you feel the need to stand constantly, there's lots of room on the concourse where you won't be blocking the view of the children, elderly, handicapped or just plain short fans that are in every section of the ballpark behind you.

rocky biddle
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
As an aside, it's interesting to watch the clowns who feel it's their duty to try to get other people to stand. It's as if they think they're part of the team. These clowns should worry less about what's happening in the stands and pay more attention to watching what's happening on the field.

Thank you. One of my biggest pet peeves about attending a game is the jackass in the first few rows that stands up about 2 seconds before everyone else and starts waving his arms and yelling "GET UP!!!" I really hate that guy.

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
You pay for a seat, not a place to stand.

maurice
08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Standing between plays = fine on occasion and within reason.
Standing during plays = bad unless you have a really good reason.

The "really good reason" usually involves a huge AB.
If you're the only person standing, it's not a huge AB.

I've had a great deal of success yelling "Down in front!"

Oblong
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I love the people who come out into the seating area in the upper deck and head for the railing so that they can lean over and look for their friends in the lower deck. Usually they are on the phone and waving frantically. "Hey, look at me! Yes, I can see you too. This is so cool. You can see me. I can see you!" Meanwhile there's 3 rows of people behind them who can't see the game. If you want to see your friends go to a mall or shopping center.

whitesoxwin
08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
This is a tough point to discuss....
Standing up and getting up during an "at-bat" are each sub-topics, while talking on a cell phone...well, take it to Wrigley...period. The worse offenders are the morons who are standing up, on their cell phone, waving for a buddy during an "at-bat".
What un-cool and inconsiderate behavior!
And this goes for both male and females.
Jumping up during a big play is just part the whole baseball experience..and this goes for any sport.
But standing up there should be some rules.
Let's say, a final strike in a inning, final out in a game, or when a decisive situation gets the crowd up...well come on, this is baseball. I am sorry the person sitting behind me can't see because he has his hands full of nachos or his little boy can not see--hey, I feel for the kid, but I do not have an answer for that one -- I guess he will have to take it up with all the others in front of me standing up or buy front row seats!
Standing up, just to stand up, well...that's just plain RUDE.
Actually, I don't mind a person coming down to the seats during an "at-bat" where they actually say, excuse me (I get this all the time with an aisle seat), but the person sitting in the row just tries to "step over" you getting to their seats...well, again, RUDE!
I can go on and on, but this debate will rage for ever...
Next topic: Throwing home run balls back on the field....another day, sports fans!!!

itsnotrequired
08-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Next topic: Throwing home run balls back on the field....another day, sports fans!!!

What is there to discuss? It is idiotic, end of story.

0o0o0
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM

Come on, who doesn't love the excitement of seeing the ball tossed back to the pitcher? :rolleyes:

starboy0
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
If you stood to applaud a great play, the play was over, right? Then it's no problem. Standing in a big situation or AFTER a big play is perfectly acceptable. If you stood before the put-out, that's a bit rude.

I subscribe to the stand when people in front of you are standing rule for the most part.

That's it exactly. AFTER a big play I can't help but stand and cheer but I immediately sit back down before the next batter.

Soxfanspcu11
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM

If someone EVER told me to sit down at a game, they will get such a verbal bitch slapping that they would likely run out crying.

buehrle4cy05
08-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I stand and clap on all big plays. If the people want to see Konerko throw the ball back to the pitcher, then they can stand too.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM

I think this is the correct policy. People are ruder at baseball games than most places. Not only do people leave and return while a pitch is being thrown, they also always stand on the left on escalators. Remember suburbanites: stand on the right, walk on the left.

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Someone gave you grief for standing after a play? That guy needs to get flogged.

Ha, that shoulda been yelled

"SHUT UP OR I'LL FLOG YA!"
Knowin people these days, they wont know what the hell yer sayin

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2006, 03:10 PM

"The White Sox encourage all guests to use courtesy and restrict movement in the seating areas during play. When returning to your seats, please wait for a break in the action (between innings, between batters, pitching changes, etc.) before entering the aisles." http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/trans.gif

Doesn't say anything about being a fan and cheering during play. I'd much, much, much rather be around people standing and cheering that some idiot who has to go in and out of the aisle every five minutes.

They need to do what theyre supposed to do at hawks games
have some attendant hold a stop sign and make people wait, that or have someone like this stand in the entrance way and permit people only at the appropriate times
http://ic3.deviantart.com/fs6/p/2005/048/e/ec9cbe39906cb047.jpg

DoItForDanPasqua
08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
They need to do what theyre supposed to do at hawks games
have some attendant hold a stop sign and make people wait, that or have someone like this stand in the entrance way and permit people only at the appropriate times
http://ic3.deviantart.com/fs6/p/2005/048/e/ec9cbe39906cb047.jpg

They do this at SF Giant Games. The usher has a sign that says "batter in box, please wait." They also announce this policy between innings. Some years back, when Jeff Kent played for them, there was a video of him on the scoreboard saying that you shouldn't get up/return to your seat while the batter is in the box. Then he said, if you are really thirsty, just hold your empty drink up in the air and he will step out of the box so you can get up politely. From Kent I was expecting, "don't get up or I'll punch your ****ing lights out."

itsnotrequired
08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Ha, that shoulda been yelled

"SHUT UP OR I'LL FLOG YA!"
Knowin people these days, they wont know what the hell yer sayin

Seriously, how goofy does someone have to be to get upset when somebody stands up AFTER a play? I'm still trying to wrap my noodle around this one...

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
If someone EVER told me to sit down at a game, they will get such a verbal bitch slapping that they would likely run out crying.
Then you'd better not be in front of me if it happens when play is going on because you'll get it right back.

Soxfanspcu11
08-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Then you'd better not be in front of me if it happens when play is going on because you'll get it right back.

If your going to yell at me for standing up and applauding a play, it would probably escalate pretty badly.

If you don't want to cheer for your team and get into the game, stay home.

FielderJones
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM

Good thing you're in the front row at Drink The Cell Dry! :wink:

itsnotrequired
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
If your going to yell at me for standing up and applauding a play, it would probably escalate pretty badly.

:rolleyes:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
If you thought this was bad, check out part II when I get yelled at for standing up with 2 outs in the top of the ninth! :angry:

MrRoboto83
08-11-2006, 01:17 PM

There are a lot of elderly Sox fans that have gone to games for years, that are unable to stand up all the time. Whenever I have someone like that sitting behind me, out of respect, I stay seated.

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 05:55 PM

Operative phrase: "when a play is going on." This does not mean when the play is over.

TornLabrum
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
If you thought this was bad, check out part II when I get yelled at for standing up with 2 outs in the top of the ninth! :angry:

Now THAT is utter BS.

jabrch
08-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Just be freaking curteous to your fellow fans...

After a play is done - stand up and cheer. While the play is going on, please sit down so everyone can see. Sure - big plays, late in the game, whatever...the whole crowd will stand up. But, in general, if the person in front of you isn't standing, you shouldn't need to stand up either.

jabrch
08-11-2006, 06:04 PM
There are a lot of elderly Sox fans that have gone to games for years, that are unable to stand up all the time. Whenever I have someone like that sitting behind me, out of respect, I stay seated.

EXACTLY

StockdaleForVeep
08-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Just be freaking curteous to your fellow fans...

After a play is done - stand up and cheer. While the play is going on, please sit down so everyone can see. Sure - big plays, late in the game, whatever...the whole crowd will stand up. But, in general, if the person in front of you isn't standing, you shouldn't need to stand up either.

Are u kidding me? I paid my money to enjoy myself. Now if a fly ball is heading for the wall, im gonna stand to make sure i get a view, i do not wanna miss the play cuz some dude is late to stand up.

The only time i complain is when morons keep standing in the aisle waitin to get to their seat, i make sure to comment loudly to a friend "TRYIN TO WATCH THE GAME"

StockdaleForVeep
08-11-2006, 07:27 PM
EXACTLY

So by that mentality, i should never stand durin a game if someone elderly or some wee youngin is behind me cuz i may block their view? Yes respect fellow fan but where is the respect to yourself

jabrch
08-11-2006, 11:12 PM
So by that mentality, i should never stand durin a game if someone elderly or some wee youngin is behind me cuz i may block their view? Yes respect fellow fan but where is the respect to yourself

You do whatever you want...

rwcescato
08-11-2006, 11:50 PM
My policy is pretty simple outside the obvious times when most of the crowd stands up in unison. If someone in front of me stands up and blocks my view, I stand up so I can watch the game. If people in front of me sit down, then I sit down.

I am in the front row so i affect everyone. When the game is on the line I stand up. I don't care what anyone thinks. I paid over $500 for my seats and I will enjoy my game when i feel like it.:supernana:

slobes
08-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Standing up during a play seemed to be a HUGE problem for everyone sitting in front of me today. There were at least 5 times in which the ball was put in play and I had no idea what was happening because someone had to get up and get another hot dog or something.