PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie was right....

caulfield12
08-08-2006, 11:14 PM
I ripped on Ozzie for putting in Jenks into this game in the 8th with runners on, but it might have saved our season. He got out of some huge situations with a tie game that seemed like they've gone against us for the last month almost every time.

Huge game...huge homer by Paulie...Jermaine continues to fight with Crede for the rep as the most clutch hitter in the AL.

ode to veeck
08-08-2006, 11:16 PM
The big wide guy pitched real big tonight, holding the Yanks off until the Sox bats came to finish the Yanks in the 11th. Nice job by Bobby especially in the 11th after with a runner on 2nd with 1 out.

Dolanski
08-08-2006, 11:26 PM
but it might have saved our season.

Whoa, there. one game at a time...:cool:

kwolf68
08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
I get peed with Oz, but at the end of the day if our boys pitch the way they can, have, and need to Ozzie will look like Einsten...well, not really but you get the point ...

TheOldRoman
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
I can't blame Ozzie for misusing the pen tonight. I was itching for Garcia to start the 8th (since he had only thrown 80 or so pitches), but I knew it wasn't the right move. He brought our Thornton to face an L-R-L. Thornton gave up a cheap hit to Jeter, and lost it against Abreu. At that point, Thornton doesn't have it tonight, and even if he did, you would probably still bring in MacDougal to face A-Rod. Mac gave up the hit, and roider was coming up. I think you have to go to Cotts there, because HGHambi sucks against lefties, and MacDougal looked like crap against the one batter he faced. Thornton, MacDougal, and Cotts were not on tonight. Ozzie isn't to blame.

SpartanSoxFan
08-08-2006, 11:50 PM
I really think that Ozzie has been overmanaging the bullpen lately, especially with Cotts. Like I said in chat earlier, I don't care if theres a left-hander, right-hander, quadruple-hander, whatever...

STOP PUTTING NEAL COTTS IN THE GAME WHEN THERE ARE RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION!!!!! :angry: :angry:

Part of the reason Vasquez's ERA is so inflated is because of that bafoon allowing inherited runners to score on him routinely. He needs to go to MacDougal and/or Thornton. Ozzie got away with it tonight, but if he didn't get that DP, we likely would have lost to Rivera in the 9th.

Sheesh.

dcb56
08-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Jenks was simply dominant tonight. Outstanding. Play that may have saved the game was when he got Cabrera to ground out weakly to Cintron which forced Cano to hold at 3rd. Can't get much more clutch, save what El Duque did in Boston last October, than to come in with a runner on 3rd with one out and leave him stranded.

peeonwrigley
08-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I was on the gamethread bitching about bringing Jenks in with a man on 3rd, one out. I thought that if Ozzie was going to use Bobby down a run in any circumstance, he should have started him in the 9th. Bringing him in for this circumstance, I was scared of his curve ball going for a wild pitch.

I just would have rather Jenks started the inning instead of Cotts.

But it all worked out, Sox win, Jenks was fabulous.

batmanZoSo
08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah that was just a hell of a job by Jenks. He's been money, that's for sure.

QCIASOXFAN
08-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah that was just a hell of a job by Jenks. He's been money, that's for sure. He is the ****ing man! This was a must win game I don't care what anyone says. This win tonight gave us back our confidence.

southwstchi4life
08-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Big BAD Bobby

kitekrazy
08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I really think that Ozzie has been overmanaging the bullpen lately, especially with Cotts. Like I said in chat earlier, I don't care if theres a left-hander, right-hander, quadruple-hander, whatever...

STOP PUTTING NEAL COTTS IN THE GAME WHEN THERE ARE RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION!!!!! :angry: :angry:

I think so too. Isn't Cotts better against righties?

I bothers me to see 4 guys used in 3 innings but this year's offense is so much better that he expects the game to be won by the 9th.

my5thbench
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
through all of our griping Ozzie seems to get it right more often than not, that's what winning's all about

hawkjt
08-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Torre ran thru his bullpen at a higher clip than ozzie. Like most every manager in mlb. Ozzie had to be tempted to stick with Freddie cuz he only had 83 pitches but it was the right move.

Our leftys continue to have problems with control to left-handed hitters. This has been the case with cotts his whole career ,marte last year, and thornton is starting to exhibit this trait also.

Cotts has that sidewinder motion that makes it virtually impossible to pitch inside to a lefty without hitting him. Hence he stays outside and gets hammered to left. He is better against righthanded hitters, I swear.

Maybe steriod boy has a lump on his arm today, at least a few ounces of flesh missing, I hope. He loves sticking that arm out there but I think Neal got him pretty good last nite. With two righthanders the next two days for the sox I would not mind him sitting out.

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Part of the reason Vasquez's ERA is so inflated is because of that bafoon allowing inherited runners to score on him routinely. He needs to go to MacDougal and/or Thornton. Ozzie got away with it tonight, but if he didn't get that DP, we likely would have lost to Rivera in the 9th.

Sheesh.If you think this is no more than just lefty-righty matchups, no wonder you don't understand his moves. Teams have thick scouting reports on every opposing player that they review carefully before each series. It's not just about lefty-righty but what type of pitches a pitcher throws and what type of pitches a particular hitter can and cannot handle. You use every edge you can get and any time you can match your strength against their weakness you'd be stupid not to use it.

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Ozzie has been over managing the pen and Ozzie does have an obsession with righty/lefty lefty/lefty righty/righty matchups.

kitekrazy
08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
through all of our griping Ozzie seems to get it right more often than not, that's what winning's all about

So when they lose does Ozzie get it wrong?

Often the manager gets the blame when a player doesn't do their job. I'm sure some Yankee fans blame Torre for the loss. He had no idea Konerko was going to jack one off Rivera. So did Torre make a wrong move? No, he made the right decision and it's the player who did do what he normally is suppose to do.

It seems Ozzie likes to allow players to play or pitch through their struggles. He seems to be more patient with that than most fans like.

Flight #24
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
3 things about Ozzie:

1) Extremely liberal use of bench - Keeps guys ready to contribute, but sometimes IMO detracts from guys "getting on a roll"
2) Leaves his pitchers in until he absolutely has to - with obvious good/bad implications
3) Too quick to stick to the "smartball" strategy regardless of how the team is playing. Case in point, in the 9th, subs Ozuna in (depriving the team of AJ's bat in extras), and then tries the SB against a strong-throwing C. They'd been doing well against Rivera to that point, I would have given the hitters more of a shot to get it done. (Same case could be made for AJ's bunt.)

shes
08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I ripped on Ozzie for putting in Jenks into this game in the 8th with runners on, but it might have saved our season. He got out of some huge situations with a tie game that seemed like they've gone against us for the last month almost every time.

Huge game...huge homer by Paulie...Jermaine continues to fight with Crede for the rep as the most clutch hitter in the AL.

While I hate the Wrong Sox, there's no way anyone other than Ortiz can be called the best clutch hitter in the AL.

Close and late situations:

Ortiz: 65 AB .323/.397/.877 11 HR 25 RBI
Dye: 47 AB .277/.346/.596 4 HR 14 RBI
Crede: 58 AB .276/.311/.517 4 HR 14 RBI

All three guys kill with RISP, which is probably the second best way to measure 'clutchness.'

cgaudin
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Ozzie tried (and failed) to get something going in the ninth when Dye got on after the HUGE CLUTCH homerun by PK. They ran themselves out of the inning. I wanted to see Pierzinski hit. Instead, he is made to bunt, unsuccessfully, only to send Pablo a couple of pitches later.

Pierzinski is the PERFECT hitter for a hit 'n run play. I trust him with the bat a hell of a lot more than Gooch, who has a penchant for striking out. I'm scratching my head why they didn't do that.

On another note, it is after watching last night's ballgame that you nimrods out there should have no more questions or comments about Ozzie leaving his starters too long. He's screwed either way, if you ask me. But the bottom line is, he is more afraid to use his pen than of leaving in his starter, perhaps a bit too long. The bullpen is 100% completely unreliable, other than Jenks. They should've lost the game last night, had it not been for some HERCULEAN heroics in the 9th from PK. I was so pumped, I woke up my wife with the Standing 'O' I was giving him. At any rate, the pen sucked once again last night, if anyone paid attention.

maurice
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Ozzie has said that, when the statistical report is delivered to his office, he promptly deposits it in the round file. The man is a huge fan of lefty-righty matchups, even when the stats show that this is wrong-headed. (Heck, he even sat Anderson against Hernadez in the Seattle series.) He will, on occasion, play a guy who absolutely owns a certain pitcher, but I suspect that he learns about this from his coaches/players and not from reading the reports.