PDA

View Full Version : so what's the story on Eric Cooper?

JermaineDye05
08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
so was watching the sox game and after that awful call at 1st I heard Hawk mention that it isn't just tonight or last night with the strike calls that eric cooper has been bad with us. So I was wondering just out of curiousity what were the other instinces where cooper blew calls with us

TornLabrum
08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
so was watching the sox game and after that awful call at 1st I heard Hawk mention that it isn't just tonight or last night with the strike calls that eric cooper has been bad with us. So I was wondering just out of curiousity what were the other instinces where cooper blew calls with us

He's the one who a few years ago called a foul ball on a ball that was 20-30 feet fair, costing the Sox a HR. When Jerry Manuel saw it he went out and asked him a question. Cooper's anwer apparently satisfied him because he just trotted back to the bench. I think that was in Baltimore.

peeonwrigley
08-08-2006, 07:54 PM
He's the one who a few years ago called a foul ball on a ball that was 20-30 feet fair, costing the Sox a HR. When Jerry Manuel saw it he went out and asked him a question. Cooper's anwer apparently satisfied him because he just trotted back to the bench. I think that was in Baltimore.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fO7Ywqs5M10_aM:http://www.hicksfamilyonline.com/jaw_pics/cooper.jpg

"Sorry Jerry, I wasn't really playing attention but you know I can't change my mind. How would that look?"

:jerry

"Indeed."

RKMeibalane
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM

Yes, it was. The date was Tuesday, April 22, 2003. I was studying Physiology when it happened, and found out reading the game recap a few hours later.

Parrothead
08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I wish the Hawk and others would stop blaming the umps. Bad calls happen to all teams but they usually even out over a course of a year. If the Sox would execute when needed they would not have to depend on "good calls".

caulfield12
08-08-2006, 11:10 PM
That wasn't the ball that Crede got called foul in BALT?

I thought that was in July or August, and I remember everyone was po'ed with Manuel for hardly even arguing...maybe it happened earlier, can't remember off the top of my head.

But I remember there was an intimation that KW was so mad with Manuel not even arguing that he basically ordered him to stick up for his players and he started getting thrown out of games even though his heart wasn't in it.

Juice16
08-09-2006, 07:17 AM
I wish the Hawk and others would stop blaming the umps. Bad calls happen to all teams but they usually even out over a course of a year. If the Sox would execute when needed they would not have to depend on "good calls".

I wish people would stop saying stop blaming the umps. They need to be held accountable for their job since it does have an effect on a game. I bad call here and there is only human, but consistancy, especially with particular umpires is not only inexcusable, but flat out unfair. Cooper had the best angle of anyone yesterday. He was in perfect position and still blew the call. Accompany that with his performance behind home plate on Monday, and his other history with the team and this is why people bitch.

Luke
08-09-2006, 08:45 AM

I don't blame the umps, I just wish they would be better. Every team is victimized by bad umping on a fairly routing basis, and it might even out over the course of a season, but all that does it get the right results by accident. They have to get over the whole "makeup call" thing.

Hawk seems to feel that the umps are conciously slighting the Sox, which I don't think is true, I think it just feels that way when you watch every inning and root as hard as he does...I don't think it helps to have members of the organization calling out the umps every other game though.

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't blame the umps, I just wish they would be better. Every team is victimized by bad umping on a fairly routing basis, and it might even out over the course of a season, but all that does it get the right results by accident. They have to get over the whole "makeup call" thing.

Hawk seems to feel that the umps are conciously slighting the Sox, which I don't think is true, I think it just feels that way when you watch every inning and root as hard as he does...I don't think it helps to have members of the organization calling out the umps every other game though.Up until this year I would have agreed with you. Bad umpiring will even out over time. Many of those calls are very close and the umpires don't have the benefit of instant replay (nor should they). Missed calls are a part of the game.

But this year is different. For the first time I've seen multiple games where there are clearly two different strike zones. I'm starting to wonder if something's happening here, and what it is ain't exactly clear....

Luke
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
But this year is different. For the first time I've seen multiple games where there are clearly two different strike zones. I'm starting to wonder if something's happening here, and what it is ain't exactly clear....

This I have noticed. It's always been irritating, and the better pitchers were usually the beneficeries of this. I hate to see the strike zone expand against guys like Rivera and Santana...those guys don't need any help.

I actually had a pitcher thrown out of a game this year for arguing calls. Before he got thrown out, the ump said he was going to squeeze him, since he had been "giving him strikes" all game. How 'bout just call balls and strikes? Oh well, it permeates all levels I guess.

slavko
08-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Eric Cooper. Was it he or someone else that Manuel used to call The Nemesis?"

Iwritecode
08-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Up until this year I would have agreed with you. Bad umpiring will even out over time. Many of those calls are very close and the umpires don't have the benefit of instant replay (nor should they). Missed calls are a part of the game.

I was going to ask if it was just me noticing this. I haven't been able to watch many games the past couple of weeks but it seem like every time I do catch a couple of innings I'll see a Sox pitcher throw something right down the middle and have it called a ball.

One in particular was from Contreras. AJ didn't even move his glove and it was called a ball...

PalehosePlanet
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Are Eric Cooper and his crew the same dopes who fleeced us on our first trip to Oakland last year??

WisSoxFan
08-09-2006, 12:23 PM
On the other hand no one mentions that Wilson was clearly safe at first on the double play ball he hit to Crede and the umpire even started to call him safe. Torre falling over stuff coming out of the dugout was classic, however.:D:

TheDarkGundam
08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Are Eric Cooper and his crew the same dopes who fleeced us on our first trip to Oakland last year??
Ugh, don't remind me of that series. That was a nightmare.

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Are Eric Cooper and his crew the same dopes who fleeced us on our first trip to Oakland last year??Are you talking about the one where the Sox players were used for target practice and the umpires warned Ozzie? The Sox had so many players banged up that they played Dye at SS. That was the immortal Bruce Froeming and The Pimple.

JB98
08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I was at the game last night, so I didn't realize the same crew from the Anaheim game had stayed to work the New York series until the second inning when they posted the umpires names on the scoreboard. I saw that Cooper was working third, and I just thought to myself, "That explains the blown call last inning." I was sitting in the upper deck right above third base, and Pods looked pretty damn safe to me.

I want Mags back
08-09-2006, 03:17 PM

I love when Hawk tries to blame umps, its hilarious

hawkjt
08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, I guess we just have to adjust for the umps. Like last nite we need to not be aggressive on the bases to avoid a bad call from cooper at third base.
And Burls needs to go ahead and throw it down the middle when cooper is behind the plate.

Bull.

The sad fact is that when cooper refused to give burls the corner , the angels picked up on it immediately and refused to swing at Marks bread and butter, the outside fastball. Mark was screwed.

Cooper cost us a run last nite as iguchi immediately grounded to the second baseman and pods scores.

The call on blondie at first was a second out with nobody on. If he gets the call right they have a slow runner on first with one out. Hardly an automatic run like Pods.

Cooper is on the list with Wendelstat,Froemming,Iassonga,Culpa,Buckner,and hernandez. The list of umpire shame.

ilsox7
08-09-2006, 06:28 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fO7Ywqs5M10_aM:http://www.hicksfamilyonline.com/jaw_pics/cooper.jpg

"Sorry Jerry, I wasn't really playing attention but you know I can't change my mind. How would that look?"

Sadly, this is almost exactly what happened in a game I was playing in about 10 years ago (youth travelling baseball). I think the umpire's exact quote was, "I didn't see it, so I had to call it fair." Needless to say, many people were not happy.

Parrothead
08-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, I guess we just have to adjust for the umps. Like last nite we need to not be aggressive on the bases to avoid a bad call from cooper at third base.
And Burls needs to go ahead and throw it down the middle when cooper is behind the plate.

Bull.

The sad fact is that when cooper refused to give burls the corner , the angels picked up on it immediately and refused to swing at Marks bread and butter, the outside fastball. Mark was screwed.

Cooper cost us a run last nite as iguchi immediately grounded to the second baseman and pods scores.

The call on blondie at first was a second out with nobody on. If he gets the call right they have a slow runner on first with one out. Hardly an automatic run like Pods.

Cooper is on the list with Wendelstat,Froemming,Iassonga,Culpa,Buckner,and hernandez. The list of umpire shame.

Cooper blew the call for the Yankees on the DP too. Should we be mad at him for that too?

peeonwrigley
08-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Cooper blew the call for the Yankees on the DP too. Should we be mad at him for that too?

Wasn't he umping 3rd in Tuesday's game?

Juice16
08-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Wasn't he umping 3rd in Tuesday's game?

I love people who try to play devil's advocate in a discussion and are totally wrong. He was umping 3rd therefor could not blow the call at first.

Parrothead
08-10-2006, 06:44 AM
I love people who try to play devil's advocate in a discussion and are totally wrong. He was umping 3rd therefor could not blow the call at first.

The 1st base ump blew the call at 1st. Sorry got the name wrong. I alway pay attention to the ump names.

The point is calls are blown for each team in every game. To blame the umps is stupid. Blame the lack of execution. Excuses are for losers.

Juice16
08-10-2006, 07:24 AM
The 1st base ump blew the call at 1st. Sorry got the name wrong. I alway pay attention to the ump names.

The point is calls are blown for each team in every game. To blame the umps is stupid. Blame the lack of execution. Excuses are for losers.

It all ties in. Yes the Sox are not executing in key spots. Execution is just as much as an excuse as blown calls. Both do have an effect on the games outcome. Extra outs and extra strikes like last night lead to runners on base and home runs that should not have happened. Teams should not have to play over that. Those are not excuses, they are facts.

Parrothead
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
It all ties in. Yes the Sox are not executing in key spots. Execution is just as much as an excuse as blown calls. Both do have an effect on the games outcome. Extra outs and extra strikes like last night lead to runners on base and home runs that should not have happened. Teams should not have to play over that. Those are not excuses, they are facts.

If you want to eliminate the human aspect of the game, then replay or computers must make the call. Again, all teams get calls that don't go thier way. Why should the calls always go the Sox way? Good teams make their own breaks and /or over come adversity/bad calls. Someone saying they did not excute is not an excuse. It is saying they did not get the job done. Perhaps you will learn the difference as you get older.

peeonwrigley
08-10-2006, 11:32 PM
He speaks for all of us:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/97/full.getty-57209827jd014_new_york_yank_12_23_00_am.jpg

Lip Man 1
08-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Parrott:

Actually I read in S.I. ten, maybe 15 years ago, that the Japanese have invented a computer umpire. It's a device that is mounted a few feet behind home plate giving the catcher enough room and through a series of lasers establishes the strike zone. If ANY part of ANY pitch even touches the parameters of the strike zone it's called a strike.

I'd really like to see how something like this would work. At least it would eliminate inconsistency.

Lip

hawkjt
08-11-2006, 01:46 AM
anger management training be damned- this cooper is more than any reasonable man could take- it is amazing that in four games he ended up making bad calls in three. The plays just followed him around. And then gorman took care of the other.

Hope we do not see this crew again.

ewokpelts
08-11-2006, 02:47 AM
for every "eric cooper" incident, you get an "AJ" play....life balances out

hawkjt
08-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Could not help but notice during the hightlights of the Mets game that after Pedro was called for the balk; who was he arguing with?--Eric Cooper.

Looked like Pedro did balk,tho, so Cooper got it right this time. He does seem to be in constant confrontation with someone.