PDA

View Full Version : Which team can win 30 or more with 52 left?

Fenway
08-08-2006, 02:15 PM
always helps to know what your enemy is thinking.

WEEI Audio: Schilling Says Red Sox Can Weather Storm (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/Schilling--8-8-06.wma)

The question we all have to ask right now is of Chicago, Boston and Minnesota which team can win 30 or more games out of 52 left.

All 3 teams have similar schedules but Minnesota doesn't have to go to the west coast again.

We all have question marks. Boston's pitching is suspect but so are the White Sox. You have to wonder if all those complete games from last October are coming back to haunt the White Sox now.

I still think the Yankees are going to slip back into this making it a 4 team fight.

Somebody could rip off 10 in a row but I honestly doubt it. I think we looking at a Bataan death march to the finish.

One thing I'm sure of now, the Tigers are not blowing a 10 game lead.

Dan Mega
08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I still think the Tigers can blow a 10 game lead. In any case its going to be a fun 7 weeks.

Fenway
08-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I still think the Tigers can blow a 10 game lead. In any case its going to be a fun 7 weeks.

MITCH ALBOM: Tigers prove they are best story in baseball (http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/SPORTS02/608080430/1050)
Francisco Liriano started Monday morning as a sports cover story on the national edition of the New York Times. That's pretty heady stuff for a 22-year-old. Most athletes go their entire lives and never get that treatment. The Times cooed over Liriano's amazing year, his incredible numbers, how he's going so well, he might win the Cy Young award in his rookie season.

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I do too. But the rest of Fenway's comments seem to be right on the money to me. Especially the one about the Yanks. But we'll know soon enough! :cool:

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
MITCH ALBOM: Tigers prove they are best story in baseball (http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/SPORTS02/608080430/1050)
Francisco Liriano started Monday morning as a sports cover story on the national edition of the New York Times. That's pretty heady stuff for a 22-year-old. Most athletes go their entire lives and never get that treatment. The Times cooed over Liriano's amazing year, his incredible numbers, how he's going so well, he might win the Cy Young award in his rookie season.

Gee, must be nice to get the support of your local media. Wonder what that's like? :?:

TommyJohn
08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
always helps to know what your enemy is thinking.

WEEI Audio: Schilling Says Red Sox Can Weather Storm (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/Schilling--8-8-06.wma)

The question we all have to ask right now is of Chicago, Boston and Minnesota which team can win 30 or more games out of 52 left.

All 3 teams have similar schedules but Minnesota doesn't have to go to the west coast again.

We all have question marks. Boston's pitching is suspect but so are the White Sox. You have to wonder if all those complete games from last October are coming back to haunt the White Sox now.

I still think the Yankees are going to slip back into this making it a 4 team fight.

Somebody could rip off 10 in a row but I honestly doubt it. I think we looking at a Bataan death march to the finish.

One thing I'm sure of now, the Tigers are not blowing a 10 game lead.

Boston, Minnesota and Chicago all bunched up? It's like 1967 all over
again, but with crappier pitching. Where are Gary Peters, Joel Horlen
and Tommy John now that we really need them?

Fenway
08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Gee, must be nice to get the support of your local media. Wonder what that's like? :?:

Two comments from Bob Ryan today of note

Juiciest season-ending series: White Sox at Twins.

Contemporary Red Sox fans have no idea what it's like to be abused and mistreated, so they may not recognize how much justice would be done if the Tigers were to win the whole thing. Not too long ago, Detroit, not Boston, was the AL's best baseball town.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/08/08/these_views_arent_obstructed/

What Detroit is doing is amazing when you consider where they were 3 years ago.....I have no idea what it would be like to be a fan of a team that lost 119 games.

Oblong
08-08-2006, 02:43 PM

That's probably Mitch's first baseball column since they closed Tiger Stadium.

He only writes about sports for the big events, playoffs, olympics, super bowl, etc.

But I understand your point. Just doesn't apply to Mitch. He's too busy going Bob Greene on us by lecturing us on how to live our lives. Oh, and getting caught making things up but that's another story.

Malgar 12
08-08-2006, 02:48 PM
What Detroit is doing is amazing when you consider where they were 3 years ago.....I have no idea what it would be like to be a fan of a team that lost 119 games.

Of course it will leave sour taste in their mouths if they, like the 2001 Mariners, don't win the whole thing.

samram
08-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I do too. But the rest of Fenway's comments seem to be right on the money to me. Especially the one about the Yanks. But we'll know soon enough! :cool:

I still think the Tigers will have a skid which would allow them to blow a ten game lead. After all, Cleveland wasn't within 10 of the Sox last year until about August 20th, so it's not impossible. However, I'm having doubts as to whether the Sox can actually play well enough for long enough to take advantage of such a skid. The starting pitching isn't good enough right now.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
TJ:

Don't forget about Hoyt, Wilbur, Bob Locker and Don McMahon in that lights out bullpen.

Lip

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Of course it will leave sour taste in their mouths when they, like the 2001 Mariners, don't win the whole thing.

Fixed your post for ya! :smile:

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I still think the Tigers will have a skid which would allow them to blow a ten game lead. After all, Cleveland wasn't within 10 of the Sox last year until about August 20th, so it's not impossible. However, I'm having doubts as to whether the Sox can actually play well enough for long enough to take advantage of such a skid. The starting pitching isn't good enough right now.

Well, that's the big question mark. The bottom line is this: if the Sox continue to play like they're on Sominex (do they still make that stuff?), then we're done. If they wake up--and SOON!!!!--we can get this puppy done.

Fenway
08-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, that's the big question mark. The bottom line is this: if the Sox continue to play like they're on Sominex (do they still make that stuff?), then we're done. If they wake up--and SOON!!!!--we can get this puppy done.

Boston is in the same boat. I am thankful they are in Kansas City for their next 3 while the Yankees/White Sox play, but every once in awhile the Royals bite someone in the rear end and the way Boston played in Tampa I fear the worst.

This is what makes baseball the greatest game of all, it really is hard to make it into the playoffs compared to the other sports. 2 good teams will not advance in the AL, it is as simple as that.

Fenway
08-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Boston is in the same boat. I am thankful they are in Kansas City for their next 3 while the Yankees/White Sox play, but every once in awhile the Royals bite someone in the rear end and the way Boston played in Tampa I fear the worst.

This is what makes baseball the greatest game of all, it really is hard to make it into the playoffs compared to the other sports. 2 good teams will not advance in the AL, it is as simple as that.

A real ugly night for the Red Sox in Kansas City in a game they had to win. The Royals gift wrapped the game and Boston didn't want it. The SS Red Sox have hit the iceberg and they going down.....

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- They need to beat up the Kansas Cities on the schedule before they run into the Detroits, New Yorks, Los Angeleses, Seattles, and Oaklands, which they will see on that schedule starting next week and running through the end of the month.
But somewhere along the way, the Red Sox, 6-4 losers last night, forgot that the Royals are a major league team capable of beating you if you 1. make bad pitches and 2. make bad plays.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/09/royals_prove_to_be_a_pain/

Tragg
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
TJ:

Don't forget about Hoyt, Wilbur, Bob Locker and Don McMahon in that lights out bullpen.

Lip This may be our first honest-to-goodness, real down to the wire playoff/pennant race since 1967. I guess last year sort of was, but we were in control.

Other Mike
08-10-2006, 12:23 PM
for the whole season, so if anybody has a chance to win .600 the rest of the way, they'd have to be the favorite.