PDA

View Full Version : Marlins owner upset at manager?

Fenway
08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Man should be Manager of the Year in the NL and he has to put up with this????

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2006/08/08/a1c_marlins_0808.html

Joe Girardi might be a candidate for National League Manager of the Year, but his work this season hasn't always won the approval of Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.

Since at least July, there has been tension between Girardi and Loria over strategy and philosophy, sources within the organization said Monday.

buehrle4cy05
08-08-2006, 01:36 PM
It's Major League all over again...

AngryCollins
08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Girardi is doing the best job in baseball and he has to deal with a Mark Cuban wannabee?

slobes
08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
This is ridiculous. I hate owners that are absolute jerks.

Fenway
08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
from the Miami Herald

Girardi, Loria boil, but don't overheat (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/linda_robertson/15220900.htm)
A bizarre clash of egos ended with a truce, but not before the Marlins almost lost the best young manager in baseball. Heated words on a super-heated summer Sunday took owner Jeffrey Loria and manager Joe Girardi to the brink, but they found a way to calm down and shake hands.

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
In Major League, didn't the new owner want to torpedo the team so she could move them to Miami?

gbergman
08-08-2006, 03:38 PM
In Major League, didn't the new owner want to torpedo the team so she could move them to Miami?
Yea but this guy wants to torpedo the team to move away from Miami. Go MArlins, minus your owner.

buehrle4cy05
08-08-2006, 04:11 PM
This is ridiculous. I hate owners that are absolute jerks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/shingotime10/jackson.jpg
"Owners."

HotelWhiteSox
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I read somewhere that they were preparing the press conference where they were preparing to fire him :o: I'm sure Joe wouldn't mind as much, I'm sure a number of teams would be interested

Dan Mega
08-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Man should be Manager of the Year in the NL and he has to put up with this????

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2006/08/08/a1c_marlins_0808.html

Loria has a "philosophy"? For what, being a cheapskate and trying to maximize his profits at the same time?

Go Girardi, boo Loria.

cbrownson13
08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure if this is true or not. But my friend told me that Girardi has an out-clause if he wanted to manage the Cubs or the Yankees. Assuming either of those spots were vacant.

Chisox1500
08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
If Loria is angry at his team's performance the maybe he shouldn't have gutted it.

It's funny how the article mentions that the Marlins are competing for a Wild Card birth. They're 9 games under.

russ99
08-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is true or not. But my friend told me that Girardi has an out-clause if he wanted to manage the Cubs or the Yankees. Assuming either of those spots were vacant.

The Cubs would consider themselves fortunate if he were their next manager. Lots of people have tons of respect for Joe, Sox fans too.

jdm2662
08-08-2006, 05:54 PM
He's done by far the best manging in baseball this season, and the snake is upset about it? Wow, winning 75 games with the team Girardi was given deserves manager of the year honors. I'm with the rest of you, go Joe and boo Loria!

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Yea but this guy wants to torpedo the team to move away from Miami.

I guess we both realized the irony, then.

Oblong
08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Why doesn't he just sell it to baseball and find another team.

*oh wait, he's already done that.

Daver
08-08-2006, 06:44 PM
This is the same Jeffrey Loria that swindled his minor partners when he bought the Expos, and proceeded to mismanage that franchise into the ground. Having accomplished that, he then blackmailed MLB into buying the franchise, as well as loaning him the additional funds required to purchase the Marlins, by threatening to go to the courts and release his books in order to seek bankruptcy protection.

To say that Jeff Loria is little more than snake and a con artist is paying him a compliment.

MILTMAY5
08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
This is the same Jeffrey Loria that swindled his minor partners when he bought the Expos, and proceeded to mismanage that franchise into the ground. Having accomplished that, he then blackmailed MLB into buying the franchise, as well as loaning him the additional funds required to purchase the Marlins, by threatening to go to the courts and release his books in order to seek bankruptcy protection.

To say that Jeff Loria is little more than snake and a con artist is paying him a compliment.Loria makes Charlie Finley look like a saint! Why would a class guy like Girardi ever want to manage for a pantload like him I'll never understand. I hope he does get canned so he'll be able to hook up with a club that actually wants to win an NOT alienate it's fanbase.

PKalltheway
08-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Wow, Loria is lower than the scum you would find underneath a rock in raw sewage. A low down dirty snake. People were thinking that this year's Marlins would end up being one of the worst teams of all time, but they could very well win at least 76 games this year. They won't even be the worst team in the National League. He's easily a candidate for manager of the year (I won't say he'll win it hands down because what Jerry Narron is doing in Cincinnati deserves recognition too. I think Girardi will probably win it) and he has to put up with this crap.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Wow, Loria is lower than the scum you would find underneath a rock in raw sewage. A low down dirty snake. People were thinking that this year's Marlins would end up being one of the worst teams of all time, but they could very well win at least 76 games this year. They won't even be the worst team in the National League. He's easily a candidate for manager of the year (I won't say he'll win it hands down because what Jerry Narron is doing in Cincinnati deserves recognition too. I think Girardi will probably win it) and he has to put up with this crap.

If Loria runs true to form, Girardi won't have to put up with it very long, because he'll either a) be fired, or b) have his best players traded for a few bags of balls.

kraut83
08-09-2006, 09:12 AM
IMO, Girardi would make an excellent manager for the Phillies. He's the right kind of guy for that team, and the town.