PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons update

Fenway
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Boston Globe has some good news this morning concerning Peter :smile:

ESPN baseball analyst and longtime Globe baseball guru Peter Gammons continues to make considerable progress in his recovery from a brain aneurysm, said a friend of the family who had lunch with Gammons recently. Gammons is at his home on Cape Cod, continuing his rehab on an outpatient basis, but he's up and around, walking, talking, and getting stronger

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/08/stern_isnt_waving_goodbye_yet/?page=2

jamokes
08-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I could listen to Peter all day.............I still wonder how he ever got his picture on the new $20.00 bills!

Fenway
08-09-2006, 09:09 AM
:smile: :smile: :smile:

his memory seems intact

Gammons back at the ballfield

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/sports/gammonsback9.htm

''I'm feeling better but it will be awhile (before he gets back to work),'' said Gammons before the game. ''It's great to see baseball again and what better place. I was telling Mike Roberts my favorite player here was Josh Paul (1995 league MVP and batting champion for Kettleers' championship team). He played the right way, took batting practice the right way, ran the bases the right way. That's why he has six or seven years in in the majors and will be a manager someday. I remember Eric Byrnes practicing crashing into walls.''

jdm2662
08-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Good to hear. Any word if he is going to make a full recovery and be able to go back to work?

Edit: Nevermind, new posts!

dickallen15
08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
I am happy Mr. Gammons is recovering well, although his admiration for Josh Paul may be a sign he has quite a ways to go.

TornLabrum
08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
although his admiration for Josh Paul may be a sign he has quite a ways to go.

OH, MY EYES!!!!!

:tealtutor:

dickallen15
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
OH, MY EYES!!!!!

I'm colorblind and very sorry if I have blinded anyone.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
OH, MY EYES!!!!!

Thanks for pointing that out. Seriously, some of us color blinded folk need that.

White Sox Randy
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I could listen to Peter all day.............I still wonder how he ever got his picture on the new $20.00 bills!

I like that. :tongue:

Fenway
08-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Peter called in to WEEI to thank everyone for their wishes.

He said he had the same thing that killed Kirby Puckett :?: and he is very, very lucky.

He sounds GREAT. Voice was strong, he sounded like well Peter.

He said he hopes to be back on BBTN shortly working out of a Boston studio to cut down on travel.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060819/capt.9affa36dcf6347f68cfbc6b267730cec.yankees_red_ sox_gammons_baseball_mack112.jpg

Fenway
09-09-2006, 01:19 PM
For the Peter Gammons fans on WSI - Peter will resume his duties on WEEI's Weekend Baseball Show sometime later this afternoon (Saturday 9/9 2 - 6: 30 Eastern )

To listen to WEEI online go here

http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/sos4cust/entercom/audio_player.php?id=WEEI

For laughs you can hear Red Sox fans cry while waiting :tongue:

Fenway
09-09-2006, 02:45 PM
For the Peter Gammons fans on WSI - Peter will resume his duties on WEEI's Weekend Baseball Show sometime later this afternoon (Saturday 9/9 2 - 6: 30 Eastern )

To listen to WEEI online go here

http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/sos4cust/entercom/audio_player.php?id=WEEI

For laughs you can hear Red Sox fans cry while waiting :tongue:

They just advised Gammons will be on in the next hour....

for anyone listening the 2 hosts are Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald and Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal.

McAdam just made a great point that the White Sox have a horrible time getting up for games in Kansas City and Tampa because of the small crowds there. ( and they have called the Cubs a complete train wreck )

downstairs
09-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Listening now... Did he come on yet?

Fenway
09-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Listening now... Did he come on yet?

no should be this hour if they telling the truth :smile: going to be great to hear him :D:

It is the first time he has been on the air talking baseball since he became ill, and hopefully it means he will be back on BBTN soon

downstairs
09-09-2006, 03:08 PM
no should be this hour if they telling the truth :smile: going to be great to hear him :D:

Cool stuff... glad I can catch it...

From everything they say on their site, he's really going to be on...

Fenway
09-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Cool stuff... glad I can catch it...

From everything they say on their site, he's really going to be on...

they just said at the bottom of the hour 4:30 Eastern or so :D: can't wait

downstairs
09-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Yep... bottom of the hour

Hey Fenway... I'm curious... this WEEI.... they run the Red Sox games. Do they tend to toe the company line? Is it a good station?

I don't know much outside of Chicago and Philly sports talk.

A lot of people accused certain Sox stations of toeing the company line, and others seems to be excessively negative, etc...

Fenway
09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Yep... bottom of the hour

Hey Fenway... I'm curious... this WEEI.... they run the Red Sox games. Do they tend to toe the company line? Is it a good station?

I don't know much outside of Chicago and Philly sports talk.

A lot of people accused certain Sox stations of toeing the company line, and others seems to be excessively negative, etc...

If the Sox are bad WEEI rips the hell out of them. Boston fans are too smart for the party line kool aid, we know what we see.
WEEI is not as mean spirited as WIP in Philly but has its moments but it is good sports radio. Nothing in Chicago comes close.
GAMMONS SOUNDS GREAT:D:

downstairs
09-09-2006, 03:50 PM
He sounds great... been on for some 15-20 minutes... somewhat affected by the aneurysm in terms of his speech pattern and pauses.

The hosts tried to play it "normal" and not just focus on his issues, which was nice. It wasn't a Gammons gush-fest, he seems to be back working for real. 15-20 minutes of full-on analysis.

It's amazing, though... despite the aneurysm.... but he sounds like he's 90% there. Amazing.

He stumbled very little. I am not sure how an aneurysm affects you, but he's nothing like a Dick Clark after his stroke-- which I was afraid of.
He provided very thoughtful analysis... it appears he's really researched everything he "lost".

Fenway can provide a better analysis, because I don't personally know the ins-and-outs of the Red Sox, so I can't tell you if his opinions were "crazy" or different than what you'd expect... but heck... he still knows his stuff.
Obviously this is a Boston broadcast, so it was all Boston/Yankees stuff.
All in all.. I'm just amazed. I'm a huge Gammons fan (yeah, I know a lot of people here aren't).

Welcome back Peter! No two ways about it... he'll be 100% in a few weeks or less.

Fenway
09-09-2006, 03:56 PM
He sounds great... been on for some 15-20 minutes... somewhat affected by the aneurysm in terms of his speech pattern and pauses.

The hosts tried to play it "normal" and not just focus on his issues, which was nice. It wasn't a Gammons gush-fest, he seems to be back working for real. 15-20 minutes of full-on analysis.

It's amazing, though... despite the aneurysm.... but he sounds like he's 90% there. Amazing.

He stumbled very little. I am not sure how an aneurysm affects you, but he's nothing like a Dick Clark after his stroke-- which I was afraid of.
He provided very thoughtful analysis... it appears he's really researched everything he "lost".

Fenway can provide a better analysis, because I don't personally know the ins-and-outs of the Red Sox, so I can't tell you if his opinions were "crazy" or different than what you'd expect... but heck... he still knows his stuff.
Obviously this is a Boston broadcast, so it was all Boston/Yankees stuff.
All in all.. I'm just amazed. I'm a huge Gammons fan (yeah, I know a lot of people here aren't).

Welcome back Peter! No two ways about it... he'll be 100% in a few weeks or less.

I think Peter's biggest problem is getting caught up with what has happened in baseball as he was so day by day. I feared he would never be the same, I no longer have that worry.

Peter Gammons is BACK :D:

DaleJRFan
09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Always been a big Gammons fan since I was a little kid and BBTN first came on. Glad he is healthy again and is back in the fold.

Hey Fenway, has he been doing any TV since his return or only radio??

Fenway
09-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Always been a big Gammons fan since I was a little kid and BBTN first came on. Glad he is healthy again and is back in the fold.

Hey Fenway, has he been doing any TV since his return or only radio??
today was his first day back at eei no tv yet just sat thru the royals scoring 6 in the 12th