PDA

View Full Version : Liriano done?

ma-gaga
08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
crumble... (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2003182487_albeat08.html)

Francisco Liriano, Minnesota's rookie All-Star, is out indefinitely with what appears to be a left elbow injury.

Crap.

cleanwsox
08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Ouch, does Matt Garza finally get an opportunity?

Oblong
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I hate to see young pitchers go down with injuries, regardless of what team they play for. Young stars are good for the game.

Dan Mega
08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
This is a big blow to the Twins' chances.

harwar
08-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Gardenhire was quoted as saying that its NOT the elbow but a muscle problem.
However;We all know how that goes.

Chisox1500
08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Without a healthy Liriano Minnesota is a good team but not a playoff contender.

PAPChiSox729
08-08-2006, 12:09 PM

Just when I was about to release a sigh of relief...

Hitmen77
08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Although it may benefit the Sox, I always hate to see players get injured. With Minnesota and Boston suffering significant injuries, this is a good opportunity for the White Sox to make the playoffs by simply playing up to their potential.

Come on, White Sox, time to put July behind us!!!!!!

Chez
08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
This is a big blow to the Twins' chances.

Thank you, Tim McCarver. :D:

thomas35forever
08-08-2006, 01:14 PM
This'll probably cause Minnesota to fade in the next few weeks. Good luck with that injury Frankie, and see ya next season.

buehrle4cy05
08-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I said it when this problem first came up, and I'll say it again: elbow pain is always serious. The Twins rushed him back and hopefully didn't do any structural damage to his throwing arm.

caulfield12
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
I heard Mike Boddicker on the radio here in KC this morning and he said that Liriano looked like he was going to cry in the clubhouse...he insisted that his elbow was hurting him, while the Twins maintain that it's the forearm or muscle and NOT an elbow issue.

As much as the Twins' and Tigers' pitching scares me now and into the future, you don't want to see any organization run one of the future stars of the game into the ground.

I do think DET is in a great position because they have Sanchez, Miller and Jurrjens available to replace any of their starters, not to mention Miner, who's done admirably well filling in for Maroth.

Garza, from what I've heard, has been dominant in the minors with his fastball but there is a lot of concern about his location and the fact that his secondary pitchers aren't up to snuff and that he will end up like Lohse, Baker and Bonser this year.

Looks to be a war of attrition between Boston and the White Sox at this point.

I know one thing, I wouldn't go out and bet my house on Garcia beating Wang tonight.

JB98
08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow. I find it strange the Twins are insisting it's a forearm issue, while Liriano is saying his elbow hurts. But what do I know? I'm not a doctor.

It's too bad he's injured. Radke and Silva have started to pitch well recently, but can they keep it going long enough for the Twins to stay in the hunt?

This is a huge break for the Sox, but I don't rejoice in anyone else's injuries. Except for maybe Carrie Woods.

buehrle4cy05
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Sounds like somebody from the Cubs front office has taken ahold of the Twins PR...if Liriano says his elbow hurts, you better believe his elbow hurts. And you better not pitch him until he says his elbow doesn't hurt.
:hawk
"Your what hurts?"

SpartanSoxFan
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Per ESPN 1000 Sportscenter Update, Liriano is likely headed to the 15 day DL...

caulfield12
08-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Smith, who started Sunday against the Royals, was sent down...

No word on who will be starting Saturday in Liriano's spot

Foulke You
08-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Knowing the Twins farm system and scouting, I'm sure he will be another Liriano/Santana type pitcher.:(:

Losing Liriano will hurt the Twins wild card chances but they are still hitting the ball very well and playing solid baseball. I still think they'll be in the race with us and Boston until late September. We'll see.

caulfield12
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Twins pitcher Carlos Silva spoke to Liriano after the game and told him not to try to be a "hero" and pitch through pain.
"He needs to be a hero for a long time -- not a hero for just one year," Silva told reporters, according to the Pioneer Press.
"If you're going to lose him, it's better to lose him for two weeks than for his future," Silva said, according to the Star Tribune.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

By the way, the White Sox certainly could have picked Garza over Broadway if they wanted to, but chose not to for some reason only KW could tell you.

We'll see how Garza does, starting FRI.

Fungo
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Twins pitcher Carlos Silva spoke to Liriano after the game and told him not to try to be a "hero" and pitch through pain.
"He needs to be a hero for a long time -- not a hero for just one year," Silva told reporters, according to the Pioneer Press.
"If you're going to lose him, it's better to lose him for two weeks than for his future," Silva said, according to the Star Tribune.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

By the way, the White Sox certainly could have picked Garza over Broadway if they wanted to, but chose not to for some reason only KW could tell you.

We'll see how Garza does, starting FRI.So could have 24 other teams

A. Cavatica
08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I know one thing, I wouldn't go out and bet my house on Garcia beating Wang tonight.

Oh? He's been pitching like he's beating his Wang for a while now.

Domeshot17
08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Garza should be really solid. Not all that bad for the twins. At worst, they get Garza's feet wet and he takes over for Radke.

kobo
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh? He's been pitching like he's beating his Wang for a while now.

:rolling:

TDog
08-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Honestly, I thought Liriano would be in good shape physically this year. I expected Verlander to have problems.

FloridaTigers
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Why? Liriano is the one with the injury history. All Verlander has ever had was arm fatigue, which was during his first year of pro-ball. Leyland and Co. are taking care of him to make sure it won't happen again, hence the recently missed start.

maurice
08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
All Verlander has ever had was arm fatigue

Actually, as predicted on this site, Verlander has a case of "I never pitched this many innings before." I don't see how Leyland can "make sure it won't happen again." It will remain an issue for the rest of the year.

TDog
08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Why? Liriano is the one with the injury history. All Verlander has ever had was arm fatigue, which was during his first year of pro-ball. Leyland and Co. are taking care of him to make sure it won't happen again, hence the recently missed start.

Because young pitchers who emerge as Verlander and Liriano have, who pitch a bunch of innings, sometimes develop problems. It happened with Mark Fydrich, whose career year was his rookie year. It happened with Kerry Wood, whose last start in his rookie season had to come with 30 days rest after making national headlines in the middle of the summer. Pitching is a fragile commodity. I cringe every time I see pitchers sign big long-term contracts because I've seen enough baseball to know every game could be their last.

Between the two I expected Liriano would be stronger later in the season because he started the season in the bullpen. I just had a feeling that one of them would go down. I had discussed with the sports editor of my local newspaper weeks ago that I expected Liriano had a better chance of making it through the season than Verlander. It was just a feeling.

Liriano also is a better pitcher than Verlander.

Don't you know any Tigers fans you can play with?

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Actually, as predicted on this site, Verlander has a case of "I never pitched this many innings before." I don't see how Leyland can "make sure it won't happen again." It will remain an issue for the rest of the year.Because the Tigers are reportedly planning to go to a six-man rotation.

Flight #24
08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
FWIW, Rotoworld's latest on Liriano: An MRI showed that Francisco Liriano has a mild chronic strain of his ulnar collateral ligament, and a clinical exam revealed weakness and stiffness in his shoulder that is causing the soreness in his forearm near his elbow. His status for the rest of the season is uncertain.

Does not sound promising. a "chronic" strain? Wouldn't that be the kind of thing that would result in frequent DL trips once the IP count gets up there (i.e. in the 2d half of seasons)?

hawkjt
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
If the twins push this kid he will probably shred his ulnar lig and then be out for most of next year also.

If you have a stud like this, you shut him down for the year.

Vernam
08-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Actually, as predicted on this site, Verlander has a case of "I never pitched this many innings before." I don't see how Leyland can "make sure it won't happen again." It will remain an issue for the rest of the year.Hmmm . . . sounds familiar (link (http://tinyurl.com/gf77m)).
Regarding Prior's latest bad outing: "Whether there's still weakness [in the shoulder] and that's the reason he's under pitches at times . . . but there have been a lot of times when everything has been basically the same," Rothschild said. "The velocity has been good and he has been [throwing] downhill. It's hard to tell right now [if he's hurt]."
As a refresher: "Strained" is the same as "Torn," and "Weakness" is the same as "Searing Pain."

Vernam

JB98
08-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Cy Garza didn't do so well in his first start in replace of Liriano. Seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. :o:

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Cy Garza didn't do so well in his first start in replace of Liriano. Seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. :o:Yeah, he got lit up like a Christmas tree. He's probably not ready, and the Twins did not want to bring him up this fast.

Grzegorz
08-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Cy Garza didn't do so well in his first start in replace of Liriano. Seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. :o:

Like Nellie_Fox said, this was a move the Twins would have rather not made. Having to fill the void left by Liriano is extremely difficult.

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 06:36 AM
I watched most of his start.

His problem is that he threw 90% fastballs, and that's why they were reluctant to bring him up. Not to mention the fact that they were all riding four-seam fastballs with little movement, even though they were routinely clocked in the 94-97 MPH range.

I see the flaw KW's scouts must have noticed when we passed on him and selected Broadway instead.

He has very limited secondary pitches and he changes his motion/delivery/arm speed on his offspeed stuff. It's something that Brandon McCarthy also does from time to time, although his curve and change are more advanced than Garza's.

Simply put, his command is not there, he gets behind in the count and gets hammered when he has to throw his fastball, which he elevated in the zone quite a bit last night.

Boof Bonser is officially the fifth starter (for the third time this year) in Minnesota again. That bodes well for the White Sox.

The Twins really have the easiest schedule of the Big 6 (not including the A's in that discussion), but they also have the most pitching problems.

Radke is nursing a sore shoulder with cortisone treatments, and that's always going to be hit and miss. He's due for a return to norm after pitching lights out recently, and Santana has been close to human for six weeks now.

TwinKess
08-14-2006, 01:07 PM
:whiner:
It isn't official, but it sounds like Liriano is shut down for the year.

buehrle4cy05
08-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Are the Twins going to skip Bonser with the off day today, thus starting Radke in game 1 of the series Friday?

I hope not, because I want to see the Sox go up against Bonser when I'm there.

TwinKess
08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Are the Twins going to skip Bonser with the off day today, thus starting Radke in game 1 of the series Friday?

I hope not, because I want to see the Sox go up against Bonser when I'm there.

ESPN lists Santana as Tuesday's starter

Lip Man 1
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
As much as the Twins would love to make the post season this year they aren't going to risk their future by pushing the kid. They'd rather have him and Santana as part of a boffo one-two punch for the next five to eight years.

They'll shut him down if they must and if it costs them a chance at the playoffs, so be it. They should be more then satisfied finishing the season 18-20 games over .500.

Lip

WS in 05
08-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I predicted this(lirano injury) july 29th at my sisters house warming party....in front of iowans/twins fans...they all laughed at me. I told them that he was the next Prior/Wood. Gardenhire kept him in games way to long considering that he is a rookie(not sure of his age 20?21?) You cannot put that much pressure on a young 20 year olds arm...Thats like running a mile in 7 min mile then trying to compete in a marathon. The change is just to drastic.....My soon to be brother in law(diehard twins fan) also told me that he was hurting in his last couple of outings but did not tell anyone(souhnds like someone on the sox last year) And while at the game yesterday(with the same person) he told me that Brad Radke had a torn labrum yet Ron left him in 8 through his last start and he threw a complete game on sunday(both over 100 pitches)...doesn't make sense to me