PDA

View Full Version : QuesTec...again

bluestar
08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Once again, Mark Buehrle blames QuesTec for the home plate umpires not giving him calls:

"When Quest Tec [sic] is out there and the umpires are getting judged on it, they won't give you the corners," Buehrle said. "It's big for me. I need the corners. I live on the corners."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060807&content_id=1598151&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

This makes a few different times this year Buehrle has commented negatively on the use of QuesTec and how it has affected his pitching. I believe this could be a definite factor in his struggles this year. It may only be a problem in his own mind, but it is definitely a problem.

batmanZoSo
08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Once again, Mark Buehrle blames QuesTec for the home plate umpires not giving him calls:

"When Quest Tec [sic] is out there and the umpires are getting judged on it, they won't give you the corners," Buehrle said. "It's big for me. I need the corners. I live on the corners."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060807&content_id=1598151&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

This makes a few different times this year Buehrle has commented negatively on the use of QuesTec and how it has affected his pitching. I believe this could be a definite factor in his struggles this year. It may only be a problem in his own mind, but it is definitely a problem.

What about the high changeup to Molina? Was that QuesTec's fault?

lumpyspun
08-08-2006, 09:39 AM
If it's not the cheating Texas Rangers at Arlington using the lights in skyboxes, it's QuesTec.

Mots09
08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Did Ques-Tec throw changeup after changeup after that pitch had been mashed all night?

bluestar
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm not defending Mark's choice of pitches or poor location. I'm just saying he obviously thinks it is a factor; therefore it is.

Mots09
08-08-2006, 09:59 AM
It's always something this year w/ this team. As once famous manager said, "This team has completely lost its focus."

samram
08-08-2006, 10:03 AM

Yes. Yes it was. I think we all know that no one has ever pitched a decent game in a Quest-tec location. If you can think of anyone who has, tell me. What's that? Buehrle's opponent did last night? You don't say.

batmanZoSo
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Yes. Yes it was. I think we all know that no one has ever pitched a decent game in a Quest-tec location. If you can think of anyone who has, tell me. What's that? Buehrle's opponent did last night? You don't say.

Yeah. He of the 1-9 lifetime mark with a 6 ERA against the White Sox. He pitched fine.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Bull****. Escobar had probably a foot in each direction more than Buehrle. The strikezones weren't even close to similar.

kobo
08-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Or the balk he committed in the 7th with the bases loaded. That must have been QuesTec's fault too!

downstairs
08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Chone Figgins:Ball, Salmon scored, Quinlan to third, Molina to second on balk, Figgins singled to left, Quinlan and Molina scored.
QuesTec calls balks now, Mark?

:rolleyes:

spiffie
08-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Or the balk he committed in the 7th with the bases loaded. That must have been QuesTec's fault too!
No, that was where the umpires conspired against the Sox. If you watch the alternate angle, you'll see the first base ump grab Konerko and keep him from going to first for the pickoff throw.

BNLSox
08-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I bet if we start referring to Buerhle as QuesTec he'll turn his game around. Calling Jon Garland names did wonders!

FedEx227
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
"It's big for me. I need the corners. I live on the corners."

Well since you are... you know... a major league pitcher maybe you can I don't know... adjust to your surroundings? Change things up a bit.

When did our team become a bunch of whiney little babies. Mark, you've pitched like crap for a 2 months now, don't blame outside sources for your utter lack of concentration.

Jerko
08-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Funny how when Ques Tec gets blamed for something, it's only by one picther. I guess they turned it off for the Angels pitchers and Sox relievers.
That's like bitching about the weather; both teams are in the same boat. If the ump was calling 2 different strike zones, that kind of defeats the QuesTec defense since you would think he'd want to call everything the same since he's being "judged". And that balk was brutal. Faking a pickoff to first when your first baseman is about 10 yards away from the bag and not even looking at you = not too good. Quit yer bitchen and start ****in pitchin.

jdm2662
08-08-2006, 10:54 AM
When Hawk started whinning, I turned the game off to go grocery shopping. Mark has no one to blame but himself. I felt there might have been one or two that would've been strikes, but they were mostly off the plate. And, as everyone else mentioned, who's fault was it when Mark left those changeups up in the zone?

batmanZoSo
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM

I'm trying to forget that ever happened. That was just obvious lack of focus out there on the mound, and is it any wonder why he's having a horrible year? Everyone knows from Pony League on that you cannot straight up fake to first. His head's not in the right place.

spiffie
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I think the worst part of this is that Mark's complaints sound exactly like what Maddux says after he gets shelled. Usually we follow those comments by mocking him repeatedly. I hope we haven't gotten to where Mark expects the "Buehrle strike zone" the way Maddux expects the "Maddux strike zone".

Jerko
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
When Hawk started whinning, I turned the game off to go grocery shopping. Mark has no one to blame but himself. I felt there might have been one or two that would've been strikes, but they were mostly off the plate. And, as everyone else mentioned, who's fault was it when Mark left those changeups up in the zone?

True. Getting hammered by the 8 and 9 hitters, and giving up 4 of 6 runs right after the Sox scored was QuesTec's fault too. :rolleyes:

INSox56
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Funny how when Ques Tec gets blamed for something, it's only by one picther. I guess they turned it off for the Angels pitchers and Sox relievers.
That's like bitching about the weather; both teams are in the same boat. If the ump was calling 2 different strike zones, that kind of defeats the QuesTec defense since you would think he'd want to call everything the same since he's being "judged". And that balk was brutal. Faking a pickoff to first when your first baseman is about 10 yards away from the bag and not even looking at you = not too good. Quit yer bitchen and start ****in pitchin.

In case you didn't read some articles today, I wouldn't exactly place Curt Schilling in the crappy whining players category as far as pitching quality is concerned. He has complained up and down about QuesTec and even broke one of its cameras and got fined for it.

It's a combination guys...Mark's a corner of the plate pitcher. If he doesn't get the calls on the outside, he's gotta change his pitch selection...thus leading to ****ty hanging changes. Did anyone notice the two completely blown calls Cooper in that two out walk AB that led to the huge inning?

southside rocks
08-08-2006, 10:58 AM
It's kind of a catch-22, because when a pitcher is throwing well, he WILL get the corner calls by the umps. Buehrle was throwing poorly last night; it was apparent from the first inning even from our seats in right field. He kept getting the ball UP, and that kills him (as we saw). In his very good start last week, he had the ball DOWN and got a lot of outs on ground balls to the infield. From the first inning last night, outs were on hard-hit fly balls to the outfield. Not good.

When Mark's pitching a good game, the borderline calls go his way. That's true for any pitcher.

Paulwny
08-08-2006, 10:59 AM
..... and now Buehrle , who may have a problem with mechanics (high in the strike zone) has now given himself a mental problem.

INSox56
08-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I think the worst part of this is that Mark's complaints sound exactly like what Maddux says after he gets shelled. Usually we follow those comments by mocking him repeatedly. I hope we haven't gotten to where Mark expects the "Buehrle strike zone" the way Maddux expects the "Maddux strike zone".
Then I guess pitchers of their styles need to retire, because without getting those calls close on the corner, they have to rely on getting more of the plate, thus giving them slow pitches to hammer.

And i'm not completely absolving MB's ****ty performance, I'm just saying it's not just his ****ty performance, QuesTec is a problem, period

FielderJones
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM

I don't quite get this. Is he saying QuesTec doesn't have an accurate strike zone, and does not register a strike on the corners? Or is he saying he needs a call on pitches two inches outside the strike zone?

INSox56
08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't quite get this. Is he saying QuesTec doesn't have an accurate strike zone, and does not register a strike on the corners? Or is he saying he needs a call on pitches two inches outside the strike zone?
When the umps know they have QuesTec on them, they don't call anything that's near borderline...is the complaint

FielderJones
08-08-2006, 11:06 AM
When the umps know they have QuesTec on them, they don't call anything that's near borderline...is the complaint

So, QuesTec shows the pitch painting the black, the umps call it a ball, and they are evaluated favorably by the league that installed it. :nuts: :kukoo:

Jerko
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
In case you didn't read some articles today, I wouldn't exactly place Curt Schilling in the crappy whining players category as far as pitching quality is concerned. He has complained up and down about QuesTec and even broke one of its cameras and got fined for it.

It's a combination guys...Mark's a corner of the plate pitcher. If he doesn't get the calls on the outside, he's gotta change his pitch selection...thus leading to ****ty hanging changes. Did anyone notice the two completely blown calls Cooper in that two out walk AB that led to the huge inning?

I didn't mean that Buehrle is the only pitcher ever to complain about Questec. My point was that WHEN ques tec gets "blamed", it's never by two pitchers in the same game. Isn't it supposed to be consistent? I never said anything about Schilling.

INSox56
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
I didn't mean that Buehrle is the only pitcher ever to complain about Questec. My point was that WHEN ques tec gets "blamed", it's never by two pitchers in the same game. Isn't it supposed to be consistent? I never said anything about Schilling.

Oh I know you didn't. I thought you meant no other pitchers are complaining in the league about questec. And the Angels bench, during, not after, the game had a few words for Cooper as well. They just chose the non-sox way of doing it, either behind the scenes or settling it during the game.

bluestar
08-08-2006, 11:14 AM

There is some debate as to the accuracy of QuesTec, but I don't know that Mark is making that argument. I believe the complaint most pitchers have is that the umpires are afraid of being criticized for missing calls, so they have a much tighter strike zone when they know QuesTec is in use.

In all honesty, I think this belief is a crutch some pitchers use to try to account for poor outings. Escobar's strike zone did look a lot larger than Buehrle's last night, but then Escobar was working outside and inside, whereas it looked to me like Buehrle was trying to throw everything away from the hitters. If the umpire was truly allowing his fear of the QuesTec results to influence his calls, one would think Escobar would have had a smaller strike zone as well.

As I said, I only brought this quote up because it is obviously something Buehrle thinks is a problem.

kobo
08-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm trying to forget that ever happened. That was just obvious lack of focus out there on the mound, and is it any wonder why he's having a horrible year? Everyone knows from Pony League on that you cannot straight up fake to first. His head's not in the right place.
That's the same thing I said last night when that happened. He has no mental toughness right now.

Paulwny
08-08-2006, 11:18 AM
ESPN's ball/strike cam showed the ump was calling a good game, enough with the excuses.

Paulwny
08-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Speculation on ESPN that Buehrle may have thought that Konerko had given him a sign ~ throw over, I'll be there. They showed Buehrle and Konerko having a discussion after the inning had ended.

stl_sox_fan
08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
So, QuesTec shows the pitch painting the black, the umps call it a ball, and they are evaluated favorably by the league that installed it. :nuts: :kukoo:
It's like the Board of Health giving Restaurants a heads up when they are being inspected. You then know when to use clean gloves and wash your hands. This thing should be random and the umps shouldn't be aware of it. Call your game, if you suck deal with the repercussions.

slobes
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah I'm not sure how much Ques Tec is really doing here. Both pitchers had to deal with it. Mark did not throw well enough to get the win yesterday. The balk was obviously huge, and then it took him out of his game for a second and he quickly let up that single to score two more. Ques Tec had nothing to do with it.

soxfan13
08-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I think this QTec is being blown way out of proportion. MB might have been aggravated and I think he is just trying to say the umps are a little tighter with their strike zone when this thing is being used.

hawkjt
08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
maybe it is the angle of the camera but Mark had to have about 29 pitches that looked like they were right on the outside corner last nite that were called balls. Now if ESPN strike zone graphic showed they were outside- then it was the angle of the camera.

I thought cooper was setting up so far inside he had no clue on the outside corner and burls depended on the outside corner much more than escobarf last nite.

I mean when the crowd picks up on it that much- even cheering when he took that foul ball in the throat- there had to be something happening.

It is no secret that Mark needs the corners ,like maddux , if he is going to survive.

BadBobbyJenks
08-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Buehrle is quickly falling out favor with me, enough with the ****ing excuses get out there and pitch or hop on the next flight to st louis.

JB98
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm tired of Buerhle's excuses. If he doesn't start pitching well, we're not going to make the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, I'm going to be real pissed.

And the balk was Buerhle's fault AND Konerko's fault. No excuse for two veterans who have been playing together since 2000 to miscommunicate like that.

samram
08-08-2006, 02:04 PM
maybe it is the angle of the camera but Mark had to have about 29 pitches that looked like they were right on the outside corner last nite that were called balls. Now if ESPN strike zone graphic showed they were outside- then it was the angle of the camera.

I thought cooper was setting up so far inside he had no clue on the outside corner and burls depended on the outside corner much more than escobarf last nite.

I mean when the crowd picks up on it that much- even cheering when he took that foul ball in the throat- there had to be something happening.

It is no secret that Mark needs the corners ,like maddux , if he is going to survive.

The crowd picked up on Ozzie and company yelling at Cooper. It's hard to tell if a pitch is a few inches off the corner or not from the stands. The point is Mark has to pitch better- get a ball in on somebody and maybe hit 88 with a fastball so that the changeup actually has an effect.

samram
08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm tired of Buerhle's excuses. If he doesn't start pitching well, we're not going to make the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, I'm going to be real pissed.

And the balk was Buerhle's fault AND Konerko's fault. No excuse for two veterans who have been playing together since 2000 to miscommunicate like that.

Yeah. I expect nothing less that the WS for this team and they need Mark to be a top of the rotation guy to get there. He's a bad fifth starter right now and that's not going to work.

1951Campbell
08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Ov vey, this QuesTec blaming and whining about the umps is getting to be some really tiresome ****, I'll tell you what. That's not what players bent on winning do.

TheLittleBulldog
08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Bull****. Escobar had probably a foot in each direction more than Buehrle. The strikezones weren't even close to similar.

Buehrle has a proven track record of being a ****ing whiner. Its one excuse after another with him. This routine will fly if you're 16-6, or even over .500 for the season, but not when you're 9-10 and blowing your teams chance at the postseason.

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM

It is no secret that Mark needs the corners ,like maddux , if he is going to survive.Buehrle may be blaming this on QuesTec, but this is more than QuesTec. This has to be at least the 5th or 6th game I've seen this year where the umpiring was heavily biased. There have always been crappy umpires, but those wind up being evenly bad. This was not the case last night, and it wasn't the angle. Escobar was getting strikes called in exactly the same place Buehrle was throwing, but he was getting the calls and Buehrle wasn't. And I'm not talking about one or two - this was consistent throughout the game. Podsednik got a strike called on him that was chest high.

True, nobody made Buehrle throw one down the middle, but if that's the only place he could get a strike called, what's the alternative?

nasox
08-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Buehrle has a proven track record of being a ****ing whiner. Its one excuse after another with him. This routine will fly if you're 16-6, or even over .500 for the season, but not when you're 9-10 and blowing your teams chance at the postseason.

A track record, huh? Show me.

FielderJones
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
True, nobody made Buehrle throw one down the middle, but if that's the only place he could get a strike called, what's the alternative?

Throw a couple at the ump's mask.

FedEx227
08-08-2006, 03:53 PM
A track record, huh? Show me.

Last year blaming Texas for stealing his signs.

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Last year blaming Texas for stealing his signs.You know, it's a funny thing. I don't recall people being too concerned with this last October WHEN HE WON ALL HIS PLAYOFF STARTS. There's a lot of whining going on all right, but most of it isn't coming from the Sox clubhouse.

FedEx227
08-08-2006, 04:04 PM
You know, it's a funny thing. I don't recall people being too concerned with this last October WHEN HE WON ALL HIS PLAYOFF STARTS. There's a lot of whining going on all right, but most of it isn't coming from the Sox clubhouse.

I wasn't attacking Buehrle... the guy asked of another instance where Buehrle complained and that was it.

cgaudin
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I bet if we start referring to Buerhle as QuesTec he'll turn his game around. Calling Jon Garland names did wonders!
Anything to get this guy going. And by the way, I don't want to star a new thread but what are the "appellations of affection" from fans for any of our White Sox pitchers, anyway?

After watching him pitch the last 6 weeks I started calling this other chump of a pitcher "Half-game" Vasquez, or better yet "Have 'yer" Bat-ready Vazquez. I'm not sure I like "Quest Tec" Buerhle. It doesn't have a "good ring to it.....I'll think of something.

samram
08-08-2006, 04:23 PM
You know, it's a funny thing. I don't recall people being too concerned with this last October WHEN HE WON ALL HIS PLAYOFF STARTS. There's a lot of whining going on all right, but most of it isn't coming from the Sox clubhouse.

So, Mark's last six or seven outings are not of concern to you? Just get some better umpiring and all will be ok?

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
So, Mark's last six or seven outings are not of concern to you? Just get some better umpiring and all will be ok?I'll take all he can give just like last Tuesday's. And with a little better umpiring, last night's could have been just as good.

Domeshot17
08-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Buehlre isnt throwing the ball well. He shut down KC, but it was a bad KC team. Buehlre isnt locating well. I know the biggest thing about getting the calls is watch Alomars mit. Its always moving. Buehlre isnt popping the mit. IF he hits that corner and alomar is frozen, its a strike, but when he hits the corner but alomars mit moves 4 inches to catch it, its a ball. He looks like a completely different pitcher. He isnt in that groove, he isnt working quickly, its like he is trying to be too good.

But no matter what, these excuses with him have to stop. Winning teams don't make excuses, and maybe the problem is if he actually believes these excuses are why hes sucking and not his location and over throwing, then he isnt correcting it.

samram
08-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I'll take all he can give just like last Tuesday's. And with a little better umpiring, last night's could have been just as good.

Ok, but I would point out that KC and LAA aren't exactly juggernauts. Furthermore, there's no doubt Cooper wasn't great behind home plate last night, but I really think that Mark is either tipping his pitches, allowing guys to lay off the pitches on the edges, or his decreased velocity has rendered his change ineffective.

Paulwny
08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
or his decreased velocity has rendered his change ineffective.

Ding,Ding,Ding, we finally have a winner

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Ok, but I would point out that KC and LAA aren't exactly juggernauts. Furthermore, there's no doubt Cooper wasn't great behind home plate last night, but I really think that Mark is either tipping his pitches, allowing guys to lay off the pitches on the edges, or his decreased velocity has rendered his change ineffective.KC has been bad because of their pitching. Over the past few months they're near the top of the league in offense. The Angels also have a few guys on their team who can hit.

Early in last night's game Buehrle was pretty effective. Then the strike zone started to shrink, and it was noticable. The first few innings he was getting calls on the corners, but beginning in the third inning Cooper started calling the same pitch balls. Buehrle never got people out on his fastball. It was there only to show it and keep people from sitting on his off-speed stuff. He makes his money hitting his spots, and he has been one of the best. While it's true he hasn't seemed to hit his spots as well lately, from what I can see that's only part of the problem. When you hit your spots and it's still called a ball, what is he going to do?

NoShoesJoe
08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
No, that was where the umpires conspired against the Sox. If you watch the alternate angle, you'll see the first base ump grab Konerko and keep him from going to first for the pickoff throw.

Yeah, you can see that. Especially given that he's left-handed I can understand why he didn't see that PK wasn't in position.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Buehrle may be blaming this on QuesTec, but this is more than QuesTec. This has to be at least the 5th or 6th game I've seen this year where the umpiring was heavily biased. There have always been crappy umpires, but those wind up being evenly bad. This was not the case last night, and it wasn't the angle. Escobar was getting strikes called in exactly the same place Buehrle was throwing, but he was getting the calls and Buehrle wasn't. And I'm not talking about one or two - this was consistent throughout the game. Podsednik got a strike called on him that was chest high.

I don't know what you are talking about. I watched the entire game and I saw maybe one close pitch that wasn't called.

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. I watched the entire game and I saw maybe one close pitch that wasn't called.Teal just doesn't do that statement justice.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Teal just doesn't do that statement justice.
Exactly. But the truth hasn't stopped a few lunatics in this thread and in the gamethread from saying adamantly that the strikezones were equal, and Buehrle wasn't sqeezed. Not only WAS Buehrle squeezed, but Escobar had a very big strikezone, much bigger than normal.

Vernam
08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Exactly. But the truth hasn't stopped a few lunatics in this thread and in the gamethread from saying adamantly that the strikezones were equal, and Buehrle wasn't sqeezed. Not only WAS Buehrle squeezed, but Escobar had a very big strikezone, much bigger than normal.Not that Hawk is ever impartial or always reliable, but tonight he made a point of calling out Eric Cooper (last night's homeplate ump) after he blew the call on Pods trying to stretch a double into a triple in the first inning. After the play there was a long silence (usually a sign Hawk's fighting the urge to spout off about something he might regret), but the third replay pushed him over the top. "Everytime Eric Cooper is either behind the plate like last night or on the bases like tonight, we have a problem with him," Hawk said. "Everytime."

Burls maybe shouldn't have blamed Questec, but he needed to vent, and criticizing the machine is not quite as risky as criticizing the ump. If you want to get any calls in the future, in other words.

Vernam

TheKittle
08-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Just more reason why Buehlre isn't and will never be one of my favorites. He cries too much. Shut the **** up and pitch. It's not the Rangers cheating, it's not QuesTec, it's the fact you're a ****ing crybaby.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Calling Jon Garland names did wonders!Oh, yeah, that's what did it! :rolleyes:

OzzyTrain
08-09-2006, 01:40 AM

We are not the only one complaining or getting bad calls, a lot of other teams are as well.

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Not that Hawk is ever impartial or always reliable, but tonight he made a point of calling out Eric Cooper (last night's homeplate ump) after he blew the call on Pods trying to stretch a double into a triple in the first inning. After the play there was a long silence (usually a sign Hawk's fighting the urge to spout off about something he might regret), but the third replay pushed him over the top. "Everytime Eric Cooper is either behind the plate like last night or on the bases like tonight, we have a problem with him," Hawk said. "Everytime."

Burls maybe shouldn't have blamed Questec, but he needed to vent, and criticizing the machine is not quite as risky as criticizing the ump. If you want to get any calls in the future, in other words.

VernamThat's a really good point. I wonder if his blaming Questec was a backhanded way of ripping the umpire while still not getting himself in hot water with the league?