PDA

View Full Version : No more ESPN games

gbergman
08-08-2006, 01:41 AM
This season while being shown on ESPN the White Sox have won only 2 games that have appeared on ESPN, opening day and the game against the Rangers in Arlington which Contreras pitched. For some reason we can't win on ESPN so maybe someone should write JR and get them to stop. We have two with the Yankees this week and hopefully we will win those and turn this trend around, but this is become a nussance. I hope ESPN isnt catching wind of this or I'm afraid all are games will be on ESPN in there attempt to get the Red Sox and Yankees in the playoffs and further their dreams for a Yankees Red Sox ALCS. Besides ESPN sucks.

QCIASOXFAN
08-08-2006, 01:46 AM
2! So how many games total have we played? Or do I not even want to know.:(:

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2006, 02:04 AM
You can write all the letters you want to JR; the contract is between ESPN and MLB, and they get to pick the games. Stand by, because the next one is Wednesday, for the Sox/Yankees. You have to know that when the Sox play the Yankees or the Red Sox, ESPN will be interested, because of course they are the only two teams anyone in the world cares about.

gbergman
08-08-2006, 02:53 AM
2! So how many games total have we played? Or do I not even want to know.:(:
On the games that they had set before the season to show 10 so far. There are atleast 4 more that I can remember that ESPN showed not on the set schedule

Kogs35
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
You can write all the letters you want to JR; the contract is between ESPN and MLB, and they get to pick the games. Stand by, because the next one is Wednesday, for the Sox/Yankees. You have to know that when the Sox play the Yankees or the Red Sox, ESPN will be interested, because of course they are the only two teams anyone in the world cares about.

dont forget the thursday espn game too lol

I want Mags back
08-08-2006, 08:57 AM
oh my gd, the Losses just keep coming. No more ESPN please, we suck

CRAW
08-08-2006, 08:59 AM
It was blacked out in my area, but Comcast was kickin'! We still lost though. :(:

kobo
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, it's ESPN's fault that we lost!!!

The Immigrant
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
ESPN's coverage sure didn't seem to hurt us in last year's ALDS.

WSDaytonOH
08-08-2006, 10:45 AM
It was blacked out in my area, but Comcast was kickin'! We still lost though. :(:

All the ESPN games have been blacked out in Dayton, Ohio as well. I don't know who to call at Time Warner to fix this. It might be MLB that thinks if I want to see this game I should drive 5 hours to see it!!!

I think the whole team needs to start eating the Buerle WHEATIES!!!!

Gavin
08-08-2006, 11:05 AM
This rant resembles a curse. There is absolutely no causative relationship between games showing on ESPN and the White Sox losing.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Gavin:

I'm not familiar with the procedures used to 'set-up' one of these ESPN games but perhaps the players 'normal' preparation is disrupted or changed and they simply don't handle it well.

So for all we know there may in fact, be a relationship.

Lip

Sad
08-08-2006, 11:48 AM

good point

I'm tired of hearing about the ESPN jinx :rolleyes:
it's worse than crying about (what was definitely) lousy umpiring

Gavin
08-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Gavin:

I'm not familiar with the procedures used to 'set-up' one of these ESPN games but perhaps the players 'normal' preparation is disrupted or changed and they simply don't handle it well.

So for all we know there may in fact, be a relationship.

Lip

Give me a break. If there is a "relationship" (which does not imply causation) it's merely coincidental. There is absolutely NO WAY ESPN coverage leads to losses.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm not saying it directly does.

I'm saying there 'could be' a relationship because PERHAPS something in the pre game throws the Sox preperation out of whack and they simply don't react well to it.

I DON'T KNOW this for a fact because I DON'T KNOW what ESPN requires before they air a game.

WHAT I DO KNOW is that the Sox suck on ESPN and have a miserable record despite being 20 games over .500 for the season. (and not every one of the ESPN games has been against top teams this season. How do you explain Houston and Cleveland losses?)

Lip

whtsx1959
08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because the rotating ad board gets replaced with a green screen.

Fenway
08-08-2006, 12:24 PM

No it didn't :whiner:

Johnny Mostil
08-08-2006, 12:38 PM

I'm saying there 'could be' a relationship because PERHAPS something in the pre game throws the Sox preperation out of whack and they simply don't react well to it.

I DON'T KNOW this for a fact because I DON'T KNOW what ESPN requires before they air a game.

WHAT I DO KNOW is that the Sox suck on ESPN and have a miserable record despite being 20 games over .500 for the season. (and not every one of the ESPN games has been against top teams this season. How do you explain Houston and Cleveland losses?)

Lip

I've never paid attention to this, but what is the general reason for putting a team on ESPN? Joking about the NY-Bos obsession aside, is it the same for prime-time pro football, i.e., the team is good or has a large fan following? In that case, won't the Sox just have to suck it up at some point?

Lip Man 1
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Johnny:

To me that's it. ESPN is a business and the business is dictated by ratings. The higher the ratings, the larger the money charged for advertising.

Unfortunately I don't have the numbers but it has always been my impression over the years, except for the early part of the 90's, that the Sox have usually done poorly when on ESPN. Just one of those strange circumstances.

Lip

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Johnny:

To me that's it. ESPN is a business and the business is dictated by ratings. The higher the ratings, the larger the money charged for advertising.

Unfortunately I don't have the numbers but it has always been my impression over the years, except for the early part of the 90's, that the Sox have usually done poorly when on ESPN. Just one of those strange circumstances.

Lip

Yep. I don't have numbers either, but it's kind of like the Bears on MNF.

But I would dearly love to see the Sox blow this theory all to hell this week!

HotelWhiteSox
08-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Give me a break. If there is a "relationship" (which does not imply causation) it's merely coincidental. There is absolutely NO WAY ESPN coverage leads to losses.

That's what it is, Erin Andrews. Have we all forgotten about the chick scoping bench?

cgaudin
08-08-2006, 04:00 PM
This rant resembles a curse. There is absolutely no causative relationship between games showing on ESPN and the White Sox losing.

Shhhhhh! IT might hear you! Don't scare IT.

SoxWillWin
08-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Lip

9 times out of 10 when ESPN picks up a game midseason, they have to change the start time, usually to an earlier time.

illini81887
08-08-2006, 05:20 PM
hmmm we did win 3 games last year in playoffs on espn

Scottzilla
08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
ya we always play terrible on monday night football, wait wrong team.

southwstchi4life
08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Who cares about the espn jinks of losing. I think its about time we showed all these east coast biased media berman cough cough, how to play real baseball. Just like we did last September and October. I am so sick of their bias, I still remember listening to berman during the bosox/ sox playoffs. What a jerk. who do youthink he was rooting for. Its seriously time to show what were made of. Sorry for my rant. I get sickof this east coast biased media.

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Who cares about the espn jinks of losing. I think its about time we showed all these east coast biased media berman cough cough, how to play real baseball. Just like we did last September and October. I am so sick of their bias, I still remember listening to berman during the bosox/ sox playoffs. What a jerk. who do youthink he was rooting for. Its seriously time to show what were made of. Sorry for my rant. I get sickof this east coast biased media.

:thumbsup: