PDA

View Full Version : Uribe possibly to dl, who to call up

StockdaleForVeep
08-07-2006, 05:41 PM
The score reported that uribe may possibly go on the dl due to injury, and despite crede bein back, he is fighting his normal back issues.

In theory we could call another pitcher and just start cintron at SS but i wonder, could this be josh fields comin, he can cover at third if crede needs more rest

sox1970
08-07-2006, 05:56 PM
If Uribe goes on the DL, I'd bring up Boone Logan, who has been putting up zeros in Charlotte the last month. I like the idea of a third lefty in the pen especially against these tough teams and Cotts struggling lately.

slobes
08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Does Mackowiak ever play SS?

08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
If Uribe goes on the DL, I'd bring up Boone Logan, who has been putting up zeros in Charlotte the last month. I like the idea of a third lefty in the pen especially against these tough teams and Cotts struggling lately.

Cotts has looked a little better lately. No need for the extra pen relief, those guys should be getting the job done.

PLEASE, Please, let the Josh Fields era begin.

DickAllen72
08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Cotts has looked a little better lately. No need for the extra pen relief, those guys should be getting the job done.

PLEASE, Please, let the Josh Fields era begin.

I doubt they'd bring up Fields to sit on the bench.

JUribe1989
08-07-2006, 06:00 PM
It would be incredibly stupid if it were anyone other than Fields IMO. This kid deserves his shot with the .318 average he is putting up with the Knights.

DSpivack
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
It would be incredibly stupid if it were anyone other than Fields IMO. This kid deserves his shot with the .318 average he is putting up with the Knights.

Where would he play? It would make perfect sense if Crede was going to the DL, but if it's Uribe that would mean either not playing Crede, who has the highest slugging % for an AL 3B, or moving one of the two to SS, which is even dumber.

08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Although I do not necessarily agree they should bring him up to sit the bench, he should get enough playing time at 3rd and heck LF (if Ozuna is allowed out there, why shouldnt Fields be).

Why do the White Sox have Brian Anderson in the majors if he is riding the pine every 3rd day?

Again, does not make sense to me but I have learned questioning Ozzie or KW is not worth my breath or thought.

JUribe1989
08-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Where would he play? It would make perfect sense if Crede was going to the DL, but if it's Uribe that would mean either not playing Crede, who has the highest slugging % for an AL 3B, or moving one of the two to SS, which is even dumber.

He could spare Crede some games at 3B with his back acting up recently. He could also play some LF to spare Pods. He can't be any worse than Ozuna has been out there.

The Tom
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
He could spare Crede some games at 3B with his back acting up recently. He could also play some LF to spare Pods. He can't be any worse than Ozuna has been out there.
Brilliant!!! It's always a good idea to play a kid at a brand new position when he gets to the show. Especially when his team's in a pennant race.

Craig Grebeck
08-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I wish Crede was a little more mobile. He has such incredible range, he COULD play short if he wasn't hampered by injury, IMO.

DSpivack
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM

I doubt that would bring him up to back up, though he'll probably come up in September, let alone play a position he has never played in a game.

StockdaleForVeep
08-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Brilliant!!! It's always a good idea to play a kid at a brand new position when he gets to the show. Especially when his team's in a pennant race.

:tealtutor:

08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
See Cabrera, Miguel of the 2003 World Champion Florida Marlins. And your color is way the heck off.

RockyMtnSoxFan
08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Crede is putting up similar or better numbers, at the major league level versus AAA, and he has better defense. Unless Crede goes to the DL, it does not make sense to bring up Fields. Velandia is the SS at Charlotte, but I'm not sure he's big league material right now. I'd say stick with Cintron for the time being, and call up Pedro Lopez or Ryan Sweeney.

08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
If not Fields, Sweeney makes sense.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I wish Crede was a little more mobile. He has such incredible range, he COULD play short if he wasn't hampered by injury, IMO.

He did play 1 game last year at short, so he is capable at that position. But his back wasn't as bad as it is right now.

StatHead21
08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Fields, Ozuna played 2nd most games at SS on the team last year so he can back up Cintron.

Thome, Konerko and Crede have all been banged up, spelling them with Fields wouldn't be a bad idea.

FedEx227
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
If only people knew the rules of minor-league options and free agency.

maurice
08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
KW almost certainly will not call up Sweeney or Fields to sit on the bench for a prolonged period of time when they could be playing games / developing in the minors. You shouldn't see either of them with the big club until / unless they're needed to start or the minor-league playoffs end.

BTW, as far as I know, Fields literally has never played a single game in the OF. Anybody from the minor-league forum know differently?

maurice
08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
He did play 1 game last year at short, so he is capable at that position.

This only makes sense if you think that Dye, Konerko, and Thome are capable at 3B.

DSpivack
08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
He did play 1 game last year at short, so he is capable at that position. But his back wasn't as bad as it is right now.

I don't know about that. That one game was the infamous game in Oakland where Crede was forced play SS b/c of injuries/suspensions, and Crede got ejected in the game, forcing Dye to come in and play SS.

FedEx227
08-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't know about that. That one game was the infamous game in Oakland where Crede was forced play SS b/c of injuries/suspensions, and Crede got ejected in the game, forcing Dye to come in and play SS.

As annoying of a game as that was... damn that was a fun one. Something just so silly about Jermaine Dye and all his tallness seeming so ridiculously out of place.

cws05champ
08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Why would the Sox call up Fields or Sweeney, just to start his clock early.

If you want to bring up anybody, why not Owens? He could bring some speed and pinch running off the bench in close games and late inning situations. He probably projects as a 4th outfielder at best so why not give him a shot now if needed.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
I think Ozzie said on the postgame Uribe was available and probably would be in the lineup tomorrow.

Lip

Dan Mega
08-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't bringing up Fields for 1 game essentially "start the clock" on him??

JB98
08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Wouldn't bringing up Fields for 1 game essentially "start the clock" on him??

It would be a waste of an option.

I don't think Uribe is going on the DL. If he does, my vote would be for a 12th pitcher. Cintron plays SS, with Ozuna as the backup.

08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
This only makes sense if you think that Dye, Konerko, and Thome are capable at 3B.

Konerko and Thome actually have both played 3B :smile:

Brian26
08-07-2006, 10:26 PM

At least someone here gets it. I'm reading this whole thread thinking how a Fields call-up goes against every Reinsdorf stands for. Fields won't be here until April 2007 at the earliest.

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Fields? I think some of you are in strawberry fields right now. :smokin:

Mackowiak can backup Crede...at least it might keep him out of center. I'd go with Logan. See if this time around is more prosperous for 'im.

ZombieRob
08-07-2006, 10:38 PM

Agreed he needs his at A.B

A. Cavatica
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
I agree with those who want to bring up a pitcher. With our starters tending to get into trouble early I'd like Ozzie to start yanking them earlier.

No shortage of candidates at Charlotte: Haeger, Phillips, Tracey, Redding, Montero, Logan.

SpartanSoxFan
08-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Um, I was at the game tonight and we listened to the postgame comments on the radio by Ozzie. According to him, Uribe would have been available to play tonight and should be back in the lineup tomorrow. Has something changed since then???

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Pedro Lopez looked good during his cup of coffee last year.

Also, every year he has played with the White Sox, they went on to win the World Series. This should offset the Alomar Family Curse.

Madvora
08-08-2006, 07:50 AM
We're in a very tight wild card race right now. It's not the time to take a chance on a minor leaguer making his major league debut. Sure everyone has such high hopes for Fields, but come on... we need someone to be solid immediately and can't take a chance on Fields right now.

INSox56
08-08-2006, 10:09 AM
These comments actually lead to a different train of thought....could anyone see a Crede/Fields 3b/SS combo (flip flop positions if you must) in the future? Juan has had a ton of mental/physical mistakes and his streaky bat is really frustrating most of the time. This is a curious idea. Any Thoughts?

EMachine10
08-08-2006, 05:03 PM
interesting thought....considering Fields' athletic ability and quickness (20+ SB) you would imagine that it could work....however, he is not that polished as a fielder, and at the ss position, I would rather see an above average fielder with a below average bat than a below average fielder with an above average bat.

SoxWillWin
08-08-2006, 05:29 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2571

maurice
08-08-2006, 06:37 PM
could anyone see a Crede/Fields 3b/SS combo

No. Neither player is a SS. If they were legit MLB SSs, they never would have been relegated to 3B.

INSox56
08-09-2006, 07:49 AM
No. Neither player is a SS. If they were legit MLB SSs, they never would have been relegated to 3B.
Hmpf, I know that SS is the leader of the IF, as is CF for the OF, but I didn't think that the difficulty would be greater. I would think that, defensively, 3B would be more difficult and not a demotion. But that's just me.

Hitmen77
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM

How do the rules apply to September callups?

Is there a chance that we'd see Fields or Sweeney in September, or would that action also use up an option and start his free agency clock?

caulfield12
08-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Has anyone here ever watched baseball?

Fields and Crede (haven't seen Josh much) might have lateral quickness of a couple of steps to get to a ball, but that's much different from "athletic range" to get to balls in the hole or up the middle.

It's like saying David DeJesus or Willie Harris is fast, therefore he should steal a lot of bags. It doesn't work that way....baseball acceleration and quickness is more important. And this whole thing of projecting minor league steals to having huge speed or the same results in the majors? Nope. Fields would look like Ozuna stealing last night against Posada 95% of the time in the bigs. Now if the QB we drafted was Michael Vick and not Fields or Borchard, and he could actually hit a baseball, then you'd have something on the basepaths.

For instance, Jerry Rice wasn't noted as fast, he supposedly ran 4.6 40's before he was drafted, but how many times did you see him caught from behind in the open field on his way to a TD? Never. Game speed.

Crede doesn't have the overall athletic ability to play SS and Josh doesn't have the arm to play that position. He has a marginal arm at 3B IMO.

There's a reason most shortstops have a pretty similar physical make-up...they have to be nimble, almost ballet-like around the bag, jumping over runners, backhand flips, the "jump throw", etc.

The Royals have this same problem with Mark Teahen. In an ideal world, they could just move him to 2B for Alex Gordon, who's going to be a great one over at 3rd. But it's not that easy. Heck, if it was that easy, the White Sox would move Ryan Sweeney to 2B or SS where his power wouldn't be quite so essential.

Taliesinrk
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Hmpf, I know that SS is the leader of the IF, as is CF for the OF, but I didn't think that the difficulty would be greater. I would think that, defensively, 3B would be more difficult and not a demotion. But that's just me.

Not a chance.. in a nice way, No ****in Way. SS is hands down, no contest, a hell of a lot harder/ at least different than 3B.

maurice
08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
I would think that, defensively, 3B would be more difficult and not a demotion. But that's just me.

You're right. It IS just you.

INSox56
08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Meh, oh well. I played 2b, ss and a little 3b through HS. I found 3b the toughest, honestly. But then again, I'm more the type of "ballet style jumping all over the place" type of player explained earlier. Could be why I played so much tennis. LOL

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
How do the rules apply to September callups?

Is there a chance that we'd see Fields or Sweeney in September, or would that action also use up an option and start his free agency clock?IMO, it's a lock you'll see Sweeney this September. Fields is not on the 40-man roster, so they'd have to add him. Generally, you don't want to do that prematurely, but this may be a case where it's a good move. Other likely callups: Owens, Rogowski, Tracey, Montero, Logan, Haeger and possibly Stewart. They'll probably activate Hermanson, too.

Harry Potter
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
They'll probably activate Hermanson, too.

And Jeff Nelson :redneck

maurice
08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
KW already has confirmed that he wants to call up Hermanson when rosters expand. The others may have to wait until the IL playoffs are over. Stewart is highly probable, IMO, because Ozzie will want a 3rd C.

Montero has been struggling at Charlotte lately.