PDA

View Full Version : It's Time To Face Reality

soxinem1
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
As Sox fans, it is time we face the likelihood that there will be no repeat of winning the AL Central title for the Champs. We can kid ourselves, think they will collapes, dream of winning all remaining games against them, but the Tigers will win the Central.

Some will say this is being a dark cloud, or interupts their thinking that a 'five-peat' is in progress, but when you win like the Tigers have been, especially this weekend with two last at bat wins, then shutting out a very potent offense with a reliever starting in place of a regular starter, it is time to focus on the Wild Card. The Central is no longer winnable.

And there is nothing wrong with winning the WC, it is not a back door to the playoffs, or a fluke way of going to the post-season. It is the World Series winner of several years in this decade.

Hey, when you go 8-3 on a road trip AND LOSE GROUND, it's time to face the reality that we need to watch, the Twins, Red Sox, and Yankees and forget the Tigers unless we are playing them.

I'm sure there will be many who will refuse to go along with this, but so be it. It is tough to take this, especially with the stuff from the 2000 season, but the Sox have been out of first place way more than they have been in it, it's time to shift gears.

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 05:04 PM
As Sox fans, it is time we face the likelihood that there will be no repeat of winning the AL Central title for the Champs. We can kid ourselves, think they will collapes, dream of winning all remaining games against them, but the Tigers will win the Central.

Some will say this is being a dark cloud, or interupts their thinking that a 'five-peat' is in progress, but when you win like the Tigers have been, especially this weekend with two last at bat wins, then shutting out a very potent offense with a reliever starting in place of a regular starter, it is time to focus on the Wild Card. The Central is no longer winnable.

And there is nothing wrong with winning the WC, it is not a back door to the playoffs, or a fluke way of going to the post-season. It is the World Series winner of several years in this decade.

Hey, when you go 8-3 on a road trip AND LOSE GROUND, it's time to face the reality that we need to watch, the Twins, Red Sox, and Yankees and forget the Tigers unless we are playing them.

I'm sure there will be many who will refuse to go along with this, but so be it. It is tough to take this, especially with the stuff from the 2000 season, but the Sox have been out of first place way more than they have been in it, it's time to shift gears.
We went 6-3 on the road trip. Now, where is that beating a dead horse tag?

Patrick134
08-07-2006, 05:05 PM
The sox just need to play well. They're trying to win every game. You don't try to win any differently if you're going for the wc or division. The sox can't control the tigers games , aside from the head to heads.

35th&Shields
08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
We can kid ourselves, think they will collapes, dream of winning all remaining games against them, but the Tigers will win the Central.

We play the Tigers 10 more times, 7 times just this month. Let's have this discussion on September 7th and see where we stand then. But let's say we take 5 of 7 from the Tigers and everything else remains the same. That'd only put us 4 games out with a month to play.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
And with over 50 games to go, I am not facing ****. Winning the division is still within sights. The WC is not the goal; it is the safety net.

QCIASOXFAN
08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey, when you go 8-3 on a road trip AND LOSE GROUND, it's time to face the reality that we need to watch, the Twins, Red Sox, and Yankees and forget the Tigers unless we are playing them. We only went 6-3 on that roadtrip. I wish we went 8-3.:tongue:

NU Nish 13
08-07-2006, 05:10 PM
We play the Tigers 10 more times, 7 times just this month. Let's have this discussion on September 7th and see where we stand then. But let's say we take 5 of 7 from the Tigers and everything else remains the same. That'd only put us 4 games out with a month to play.

That'd put us 6 games out...winning 5 of 7 means we go 5-2 and pick up 3 games on the Tigers...as great as winning 5 of 7 would be, that still wouldn't put much of a dent into that lead unless the Tigers start losing some of their other games...unless we go 8-2 or better in the 10 games head-to-head, we really need Detroit to fall off to have a chance at the AL central...not something worth counting on

pudge
08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
There's no reason to stop hoping for the division just yet. I agree it is long shot (I think less than 4% based on the latest Trib story), but heck it can be done. Still though, we DO need to seriously focus on beating WC teams.

spiffie
08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
The solution to this is simple. Win all 10 games from Detroit. Match them the rest of the way. We win division. Simple, clean, and without any need to worry about other teams.

MarySwiss
08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Yet another reason why I'm rooting for the Twins against the Tigers. The Tigers sweeping the Twins would distance the Twins, true, but it would also benefit the Tigers. I think it is our best interest to try to bunch this division up as much as possible. In a dogfight, I like our chances.

thomas35forever
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Don't think the Tigers won't win the division just yet. There's still a lot of baseball left to play. Let's see how the next 50 games play out.

Shift
08-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I agree, but so what. Win the wildcard and I like our chances. There's no reason to be down about getting into the playoffs that way.

Daver
08-07-2006, 05:20 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/deadhorse.gif

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 05:31 PM
There's no reason to stop hoping for the division just yet. I agree it is long shot (I think less than 4% based on the latest Trib story), but heck it can be done. Still though, we DO need to seriously focus on beating WC teams.

More like 50%--either we do or we don't.

I still don't know why we're stressing about the division so much. Is this 1992 and we're still in the AL West behind Oakland? We're in the playoffs right now. All we have to do is remain where we are. I'd like to win the division, but in the end who gives a crap how we get there? Just get there.

All the team can do and all we can hope for is to win as many games as possible, starting tonight. I'm enjoying this myself. It's not often that games are this important in early August.

Chicken Dinner
08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
It doesn't matter if you win the division or win the wild card. We've seen divisional winners and wild card winners win the Series. We just need to pitch, catch , and hit up to the talent potential that the players have. Mental errors, or lack of, will determine the clubs downfall or success.

rdwj
08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
The playoffs are the playoffs as far as I'm concerned. If the Tigers continue to play well, you just have to tip your cap to them and hope to play them in the ALCS.

There is no shame in being a Wild Card - especially a year removed from winning the whole thing.

White City
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
By which I mean:

We just went through rough waters in July, but seem to have straightened our keel with the last road trip. So while many might be awaiting a crash into the shoals with dread, I personally am sensing deeper waters and strong tail winds.

Or, how about:

When your brothers begin to lose faith, lift them up. And if they persist, and leave the faith, well, then better seats for you!

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 05:37 PM
It doesn't matter if you win the division or win the wild card. We've seen divisional winners and wild card winners win the Series. We just need to pitch, catch , and hit up to the talent potential that the players have. Mental errors, or lack of, will determine the clubs downfall or success.

Before the 05 Sox, the previous three World Champions were Wild Card winners.

Chicken Dinner
08-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Before the 05 Sox, the previous three World Champions were Wild Card winners.

It doesn't matter how you get into the playoffs, it's who ever is smok"in hot going into them.

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2006, 05:47 PM
As long as we are recycling tired cliches, the Sox "control their own destiny" as long as the number of games they are behind Detroit is smaller than the number of games they have remaining with the Tigers.

:)

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Did anyone else groan when they read this thread title?

AuroraSoxFan
08-07-2006, 05:56 PM

I didn't like seeing the title, but I didn't really groan. I don't think the starter of the thread is being a pessimist. Just trying to face the truth. It definitely sucks going 6-3 on the road and losing ground. DET will lose some games but I find it kind of unlikely that they'll stumble enough for us to catch them. Sucks but I'm not worried about it. We're still on pace to win 96 games or so. And that's not even counting a big hot streak. So no matter what DET does, I'm still confident we will be in teh post season, which as we all know is the only thing that really matters.

CLR01
08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
As long as we are recycling tired cliches, the Sox "control their own destiny" as long as the number of games they are behind Detroit is smaller than the number of games they have remaining with the Tigers.

:)

So you want to take it one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may?

CLR01
08-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I didn't like seeing the title, but I didn't really groan. I don't think the starter of the thread is being a pessimist. Just trying to face the truth.

It's not the truth until the Tigers officially clinch the division. If/When that time comes I will face the truth (if you are letting BP score it that may take until November).

JB98
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Yet another reason why I'm rooting for the Twins against the Tigers. The Tigers sweeping the Twins would distance the Twins, true, but it would also benefit the Tigers. I think it is our best interest to try to bunch this division up as much as possible. In a dogfight, I like our chances.

Cosign. My ideal scenario is to make this a tight three-way race. The Tigers would feel the same sort of pressure we did late in the season last year. They are now they favorite. They are supposed to win. They'll be carrying that burden, not us.

Britt Burns
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
So you want to take it one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may?

We're going to have to give it 110% and not look at the scoreboard.

Foulke You
08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Exactly! Y'know, give it 110% everyday and worry about ourselves, not what the other teams are doing. When it is all said and done, we're the ones who have to look in the mirror. We have to slowly chip away at it and see what happens.:tongue:

Foulke You
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
We're going to have to give it 110% and not look at the scoreboard.
Ha! We posted almost the same thing at the same time. Ah, the fun of sports cliches.:cool: Remember, it ain't over til the fat lady is singin!

jamokes
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
The remainder of the 2006 season will be nothing but a good old fashion pennant race, something we have not seen in a long time!:(:

CLR01
08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Exactly! Y'know, give it 110% everyday and worry about ourselves, not what the other teams are doing. When it is all said and done, we're the ones who have to look in the mirror. We have to slowly chip away at it and see what happens.:tongue:

The wildcard race is heating up and the Sox are still in the mix. It doesn't matter how they get there, they just need to get there. They've been there before and in the playoffs anything can happen. This team has the chance to do something special, it's do or die time, lose and you go home.

DickAllen72
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm NOT giving up on the Sox winning the Central yet. But for them to do this, they have to start sweeping some series. They have to win series against the top teams and sweep teams like the Royals, Indians, etc. So far they haven't been doing that.

Hey, a great week by the Sox coupled with a losing streak by the Tigers and the Sox are right back on their necks. But it has to start NOW. This next seven days could make or break the season.

My eyes are focused on the AL Central title. If the Sox fall short, then I'll settle for the Wild Card. But it's too early to give up. It ain't over 'til it's over.

soxinem1
08-07-2006, 06:51 PM

Oh well, I hit a bad key. That is grasping a straw just to prove you are correct, if you ask me, but the result is the same.

If the Sox go to the playoffs, it's as a Wild Card team. And there is nothing wrong with that. They just need to go out there and win.

I just see nothing that leads me to believe that Detroit is going to hit any type of slide. They are locked in, and you have to give them credit. This does not mean they will be champions, but unless they totaly collapse, this division race is done.

churlish
08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Wow. The Sox were beginning their slide this time last year. I wonder if anyone started this thread last year. Anyone want to jump off a cliff with me? We're done. No one could ever catch the Tigers and their amazing starting pitchers who have shown no sign of falling apart in the last couple of weeks.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
The wildcard race is heating up and the Sox are still in the mix. It doesn't matter how they get there, they just need to get there. They've been there before and in the playoffs anything can happen. This team has the chance to do something special, it's do or die time, lose and you go home.
http://mud.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/2280028919 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4CSxddEHDcAdP2JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBkaXZqNHN rBHBvcwM1NwRzZWMDc3I-/SIG=1hkmj1rc8/EXP=1155077906/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo .com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fp%253Dbull%252Bdurh am%2526toggle%253D1%2526ei%253DUTF-8%2526fr%253DFP-tab-img-t-t500%2526b%253D41%26w=266%26h=150%26imgurl=www.the cinemalaser.com%252Fdvd_images_2002%252F0302%252Fb ull-durham-se-dvd-image-06.jpg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.thecinemalase r.com%252Fdvd_review_2002%252Fbull-durham-se-dvd.htm%26size=8.7kB%26name=bull-durham-se-dvd-image-06.jpg%26p=bull%2bdurham%26type=jpeg%26no=57%26tt= 4,714%26ei=UTF-8)

Ya gotta take this season one game at a time. Sometimes, you win. Sometimes, you lose. SOMETIMES, it rains..think about that for a moment. :cool:

CAREY33
08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Al Davis put it best- "Just Win Baby". Everything else will take care of itself.

StatHead21
08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Tigers have it won, they have a chance to finish with 110 wins. Twins and Red Sox are what they have to worry about.

Mots09
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
After the performance put on by the Sox on Monday night this team is done. Thier pitching isn't consistent enough to win a string of games for them.

I hate to say it but they aren't going to make the playoffs

DSpivack
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
After the performance put on by the Sox on Monday night this team is done. Thier pitching isn't consistent enough to win a string of games for them.

I hate to say it but they aren't going to make the playoffs
Yeah, and who is? Minnesota--whose offense is weak and rotation beyond Liriano and Santana very questionable? Or New York, whose rotation is questionable beyond Mussina and Wang? Perhaps Boston, whose rotation is probably the weakest among contenders? Yes, the White Sox have flaws, but so does every other team. And every other team--save Detroit--has more flaws than we do.

AnkleSox
08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp?ymd=20050807

The standings a year ago today. Notice Cleveland being 13.0 back?

Lip Man 1
08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
It's going to be very hard considering the amount of games left and the fact that the Sox have the most difficult second half schedule in baseball. Very, very hard.

That being said, there's no shame in making the post season as the wild card...none at all.

Just get in and take your chances.

Lip

PKalltheway
08-07-2006, 10:45 PM
It's going to be very hard considering the amount of games left and the fact that the Sox have the most difficult second hald schedule in baseball. Very, very hard.

That being said, there's no shame in making the post season as the wild card...none at all.

Just get in and take your chances.

Lip
I agree. What shame is there in the White Sox making it in as a Wild Card team with 96-98 wins? The Tigers winning the division won't mean a damn thing if we kick their ass in the ALCS. Besides, three out of the last four World Champions have been Wild Card winners. It's all about who gets hot at the right time, and the Sox will get hot at the right time. Just wait and see.

rookie
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Amen. I just want to see us play well and consistent. For some reason it doesn't seem as if the Twins, Yankees, and Red Sox are stressing as much as we are and we have basically the same record. The Twins are streaking and are probably happy just to be back in the race, the Yankees are on a little roll, and I've no clue about the Red Sox. I guess it's more stressful when you are the defending champions.

OTOH, this thread has appeared in one form or another very often recently, but I was this close to conceding the division, but this thread has brought me back to my senses. Before I was going to wait until September 1st before I decided division or wc, but I like the idea of being mathematically eliminated before you concede defeat. Everyone in the top 5 in the AL can lose as far as I'm concerned except us. And if two of those teams are playing each other, then I can be happy for the automatic loss.

CLR01
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
You can't win them all. We'll get 'em tomorrow.

cgaudin
08-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm goin out on a limb here, guys, but dare I say that I just don't see or sense Fun with these 2006 White Sox. They are pressing hard and look too business-like, a la NY Yankees, smug and uptight. Ahhh! The weight of EXPECTATIONS.

OTOH, I've caught quite a lot of the Tigers games this season, especially lately to gauge the momentum of each team. It ain't good guys. The '05 Champions now have a big "D" on their lapel, and the catcher's name is Rodriguez. God.... I coulda sworn it was Pierzinski.....

soxinem1
08-08-2006, 01:52 AM
I am going to amend the thread...........

If this uninspired horse**** play continues, these guys are going all the way to Flushing, as in flushing the hopes of a repeat down the old commode.

You guys can make all the excuses you want, but ever since the slow-pitch softball game in Wrigley, these guys have not played a solid week!

True, the BoSox, Twins, and Yankees have faults, but all of them are at least steadilly performing well. And after getting cuffed by a pitcher who came in 1-9 (and 0-2 in the 2005 ALCS) against them in his career, it dawns on me that the heart is just not there.

What happened to aggressively going after Escobar this time? Did the Sox forget Kelvim's AJ antics a while back?

So in light of all this negativity, I am going back to the basics. Time to do what worked last September and October.....

It's time to bring my white socks out!!! I don't care if they look awkward with my work apparel, it's time to take matters in my own hands.

They worked before, it's time for desperate measures!!

Chisox003
08-08-2006, 01:56 AM
It's time to bring my white socks out!!! I don't care if they look awkward with my work apparel, it's time to take matters in my own hands.

They worked before, it's time for desperate measures!!
So this was YOUR fault all along?!?

Step 1: Put socks on.
Step 2: Remove October 25th after another World Series.
Step 3: Wash, start wearing April 1, 2007

Is that so ****ing hard? :angry:

:cool:

soxinem1
08-08-2006, 01:59 AM
So this was YOUR fault all along?!?

Step 1: Put socks on.
Step 2: Remove October 25th after another World Series.
Step 3: Wash, start wearing April 1, 2007

Is that so ****ing hard? :angry:

:cool:

You are right! What the hell have I been waiting for????

Tiger23
08-08-2006, 03:03 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp?ymd=20050807

The standings a year ago today. Notice Cleveland being 13.0 back?

I mean no disprespect to any WS fans with this post, and am certainly not ready to say the division is the Tigers this early. However, you do understand that at this point the White Sox would have to go on a run similar to Cleveland last year, while the Tigers would have to fall into the doldrums similar to the White Sox at this point last year right? Both are possible, though the fact that neither team has shown signs of it happening makes it very unlikely. Asking for both of them to happen at the same time just seems to be pushing it for me.

StillMissOzzie
08-08-2006, 04:13 AM
Not lookin' too good right now. Yes, the Sox "control their own destiny" by having 10 games w/ Detroit and they are now 10 games back, but sorry, I just don't see the Sox going 10-0 against them. :praying:

If Detroit just plays .500 the rest of the way, they project out to 101-61.
The Sox, with two fewer games played, would need to go 36-16 the rest of the way out just to tie. Well, if 10 of those 36 come vs. Detroit, they win that tiebreaker, but then they still only need to go 26-16 with the rest of the schedule. :(:

A good Dodger-like 10 game W streak would be just what the doctor ordered, but the Sox need to keep winning just to keep the pressure on Minnesota, Boston, and New York. :o:

SMO
:gulp:

greenpeach
08-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Not lookin' too good right now. Yes, the Sox "control their own destiny" by having 10 games w/ Detroit and they are now 10 games back, but sorry, I just don't see the Sox going 10-0 against them. :praying:

If Detroit just plays .500 the rest of the way, they project out to 101-61.
The Sox, with two fewer games played, would need to go 36-16 the rest of the way out just to tie. Well, if 10 of those 36 come vs. Detroit, they win that tiebreaker, but then they still only need to go 26-16 with the rest of the schedule. :(:

A good Dodger-like 10 game W streak would be just what the doctor ordered, but the Sox need to keep winning just to keep the pressure on Minnesota, Boston, and New York. :o:

SMO
:gulp:

The pitching has been way too inconsistent this year for them to put together a 10 or 11 game winning streak. I just don't see it in the cards. Buerhle has been absolutely atrocious since June & the rest of the starting staff has been inconsistent at best.

At this point, the wild card seems to be the only viable option.

Dan H
08-08-2006, 07:53 AM

No, I groaned when I saw Buerhle balk in a run in a close game. It is time to face reality.

You can't win by outslugging the opposition every game. The truth is only Jon Garland is producing out of that rotation right now. Buerhle used to make pitching look easy. He looks clueless at the moment. Garcia throws more tantrums than good pitches. Contreras is 1-4 since coming off the disabled list. Vazquez has one great start in the last two months.

A divison title is not going to happen. The wild card is there for the taking, but the Sox won't do it the way they looked the last two days. 2005 is history now. The 2006 team needs to show they deserve to defend this title in the playoffs. The reality is that the Sox don't look like a playoff team.

They play two playoff contending teams the next six days. It's time for the Sox to show that they are in that same class. They won't do it just because they did it in '05. If the starters don't turn it around, it will be Detroit, New York, Boston and whatever West team in the playoffs.

With 50 games left, there is still hope. Now is the time for the Sox to justify that hope.

HerzogVon
08-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Ha! We posted almost the same thing at the same time. Ah, the fun of sports cliches.:cool: Remember, it ain't over til the fat lady is singin!

We've got our backs to the wall, which is more than you can say for the Bugs Moran gang on St. Valentine's Day. ( Hey, you want positive? )

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-08-2006, 08:53 AM
We've got our backs to the wall, which is more than you can say for the Bugs Moran gang on St. Valentine's Day.

Only in Chicago does that quote work.

http://www.mysterynet.com/images/mn/massacre.photo.jpg

MsSoxVixen22
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
And with over 50 games to go, I am not facing ****. Winning the division is still within sights. The WC is not the goal; it is the safety net.

Post of the week! Well said!

Law11
08-08-2006, 09:21 AM

The WC is the reality... The division is a fading hope..

Fenway
08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah, and who is? Minnesota--whose offense is weak and rotation beyond Liriano and Santana very questionable? Or New York, whose rotation is questionable beyond Mussina and Wang? Perhaps Boston, whose rotation is probably the weakest among contenders? Yes, the White Sox have flaws, but so does every other team. And every other team--save Detroit--has more flaws than we do.

The one thing that may save Boston is the schedule as they have more home games than the other 3 teams and on paper a soft last week with Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

The reality is we may see 2 teams close to 95 wins going home early and a very good chance that the 2 teams that do go home will have a better record than the best team in the National.

This is going to be fun

kwolf68
08-08-2006, 09:27 AM
I am not of the belief the Sox won’t win the division because Detroit is “too good”, but that the Sox aren’t “good enough.”

I have a good idea of what is good/bad baseball and the reason I think the Sox are in trouble is because this rotation isn’t that good. My god, we have two starters (Garcia and Buehrle) who are routinely hitting 87 on the gun with their fastball. Buehrle has been a BP pitcher lately.

Jose, while being un-hittable early in the year, has really come down to earth and has pitched just average of late. Garland went on a roll, but his last 3 starts were so-so, but he still shows promise. Vazquez was amazing Saturday, but his problems are well documented.

The problem I see is the pitching rotation is so sporadic and inconsistent that it is not able to feed off each other. I remember last year when the Sox would lose a game or two, someone would come out and STOP any bad run before it got going by pitching a gem, and then the other guys would fall in line.

What is very obvious to me this year is these pitchers aren’t doing that. During our 3-12 start in the 2nd half, Jon Garland pitched two masterpieces (against Texas and Detroit) only to have Vazquez give all that momentum back the very next game with his prototypical meltdowns.

Finally, Vazzy gets it going Saturday and pitches about as well as I’ve seen a Sox pitcher pitch since last October. Then both Contreras AND Buehrle (our two studs) follow that gem up with poor games. That is why we are now 10 games out of the race and that is why it is not likely the White Sox will win the AL Central this year.

The Wildcard is still there and should keep things interesting, however, if the Sox pitching does not make some kind of jump in production over the next two weeks we may be 4 or 5 out of the Wildcard come September. The bottom line is we are in a tough league and a tougher division and any weakness (such as mediocre starting pitching) will be exposed.

Mots09
08-08-2006, 09:57 AM
My god, we have two starters (Garcia and Buehrle) who are routinely hitting 87 on the gun with their fastball.

Yeah Greg Maddux and Jamie Moyer sucked to b/c they couldn't throw hard

harwar
08-08-2006, 10:01 AM
The one thing that may save Boston is the schedule as they have more home games than the other 3 teams and on paper a soft last week with Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

The reality is we may see 2 teams close to 95 wins going home early and a very good chance that the 2 teams that do go home will have a better record than the best team in the National.

This is going to be fun

Forget Detroit.Its all about getting into the playoffs.
Like the 2001 run of the Seattle mariners,who won 116 games,i'd be surprised if they got past the first round.
It will probably come down to the White Sox or red sox with Francisco Liriano's arm problem flaring up again.
The trip to Boston at the beginning of next month may be HUGE.
You are right about one thing though.
This is going to be one heck of a finish i think.

batmanZoSo
08-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Forget Detroit.Its all about getting into the playoffs.
Like the 2001 run of the Seattle mariners,who won 116 games,i'd be surprised if they got past the first round.
It will probably come down to the White Sox or red sox with Francisco Liriano's arm problem flaring up again.
The trip to Boston at the beginning of next month may be HUGE.
You are right about one thing though.
This is going to be one heck of a finish i think.

It's not the point here, but why does everyone think the '01 Mariners lost in the first round? They beat Cleveland in 5, then lost to New York in 5.

Rocky Soprano
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM

My Eyes!

:tealpolice:

nysox35
08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Generally, I am a pretty pessimistic person, as a lot of White Sox fans are. However, before last night, I've said to all my friends (many of whom are NYY, Mets, or Boston fans - I live in NYC), "We still have 10 vs. Detroit. The division race is not over." I honestly believed that. For me, last night was the straw that broke the camel's back.
It became all too clear that this is not 2005. Ozzie had no business leaving in Mark once the bases were loaded in the 7th. Last year, we win that game.
Don't even get me started on Detroit. I've been waiting for them to lose games and it just isn't happening.

That said, the wild card is certainly there for the taking. I don't think MN will maintain their recent 34-8 pace and Boston just doesn't scare me. I could still see us winning a world series, but I am pretty much giving up on the division title. I'd love to see us go 8-2 in the Detroit games and see them slip up a bit in their other games, but at this point, I am tempering my expectations to preserve my own sanity.

This post has been pretty negative, so I'll counter it by saying, let's right the ship and win these next two series!:smile:

Dan H
08-08-2006, 10:23 AM

kwolf68 summarized it beautifully. The starters aren't doing it. It's about time they did. But it is doubtful that they can. They should stop blaming the umps or the offense and do it already.

downstairs
08-08-2006, 10:29 AM
We have over 1/4 of the season still remaining. 1/5 of our games are against the Tigers (who we've owned).

You're nuts if you think there isn't a chance.

Put it this way... take the 10 Tigers games and play them now. We go 8-2, then we're 4 out with 40 games (1/4 of the season) to go. We go 7-3, we're 6 out with 1/4 the season to go.

You're saying the World Champion Chicago White Sox (who happen to have the FOURTH BEST RECORD IN THE MLB) can't gain 4-6 games on the Tigers in 1/4 the season?

SoxFan78
08-08-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.geocities.com/tomberengeronline/images/action4.jpg

"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do. Win the whole ****ing thing."

soxinem1
08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
We have over 1/4 of the season still remaining. 1/5 of our games are against the Tigers (who we've owned).

Put it this way... take the 10 Tigers games and play them now. We go 8-2, then we're 4 out with 40 games (1/4 of the season) to go. We go 7-3, we're 6 out with 1/4 the season to go.

You're saying the World Champion Chicago White Sox (who happen to have the FOURTH BEST RECORD IN THE MLB) can't gain 4-6 games on the Tigers in 1/4 the season?

At this point it is not the record, it is the way they are playing. At this pace, they will wind up with the sixth best record and no playoff berth.

And we do not own the Tigers. We lost 2 of 3 to them last month and just like us playing the Twins last year, it gave the team a big boost psycologically. When Monroe hit the GS and Thames took out Iguchi with the slide, those events gave them the 'We Believe' mentality we see now.

Then they send their #8 hitter to AAA with a near .280 average and 16HR. When you can do something like that and IMPROVE your team, we just have to face the facts.

Additionally, how can you make the 'what if' statement like 'if we win 7 of 10? They just lucked out with a 6-3 road trip and LOST GROUND.

The Tigers will be coming in here hungry like wolves on this homestand, and it could well be the season right there. If they show up with the effort we have seen in the last month, the Tigers will hand them their a**es on a platter.

Paulwny
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
No, I groaned when I saw Buerhle balk in a run in a close game. It is time to face reality.

You can't win by outslugging the opposition every game. The truth is only Jon Garland is producing out of that rotation right now. Buerhle used to make pitching look easy. He looks clueless at the moment. Garcia throws more tantrums than good pitches. Contreras is 1-4 since coming off the disabled list. Vazquez has one great start in the last two months.

A divison title is not going to happen. The wild card is there for the taking, but the Sox won't do it the way they looked the last two days. 2005 is history now. The 2006 team needs to show they deserve to defend this title in the playoffs. The reality is that the Sox don't look like a playoff team.

They play two playoff contending teams the next six days. It's time for the Sox to show that they are in that same class. They won't do it just because they did it in '05. If the starters don't turn it around, it will be Detroit, New York, Boston and whatever West team in the playoffs.

With 50 games left, there is still hope. Now is the time for the Sox to justify that hope.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.
This seriea against NY will tell us if the sox are a legit contender. They'll face NY's 3 best, Wang, Johnson and Mussina. The yanks appear to be now in the "it's our for the taking mode" if the sox pitching takes a beating and the sox get swept I'm afraid the parties over.
The sox pitching staff has become a huge question mark.

Fenway
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
The thinking in Boston right now is that it will come down to the White Sox and Red Sox for the Wild Card. Granted Boston still has a better chance of winning their division but the Yankees have the track record of winning the division for the last 10 years.

This morning Boston and Chicago are in a flat footed tie with the Twins right behind so Chicago is looking at threats from both Boston and the Twins right now so the primary objective of the White Sox right now is to stay in second place.

What the Boston media thinks will happen is the top 3 teams in the Central will bash each other and lower the victory total and with the Blue Jays becoming a non factor both Boston and New York may gain a little ground there.

52 games left.....and the reality is both the White Sox and Red Sox have played poorly since the 19 inning game before the break.

I have no idea how this will play out but the 3 games with Chicago at Fenway now appear to be huge.

slavko
08-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Had we not owned the Tigers this year, we could be 15 games out right now and behind the Twins instead of 10 games out. Everybody knows you can't blow a 15 game lead in early August, right?

Fenway
08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
The sox pitching staff has become a huge question mark.

that applies to the other Sox as well

When you are pinning your hopes on David Wells and Jason Johnson you have big problems.

slobes
08-08-2006, 12:10 PM
As of now, we still manage to be tied for the lead in the wild card, so right now there's no reason to panic. Sure there's always the slim chance that we go like 9-1 against Detroit the rest of the way and then manage to beat them out for the division, but even if that doesn't happen, if our pitching would get itself together, we'd have a really good shot at the wild card. Boston's pitching is struggling; I'm already saying that the Yanks have the East won. Liriano's not himself now and may go on the DL. If we hold it together, we can fend off those two teams and take the wild card. Come playoff time, winning the wild card is no different than winning the division. You can win the World Series from either spot.

I know a lot of people have been doing the math proving that we can still come back against Detroit, and it looks good on paper and all, but right now our team is not performing the way that we have to if we want to make that math work.

Fenway
08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Murray Chass in the NY Times looks at the playoff race and pretty much writes off Boston
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/08/sports/baseball/08chass.htm

THE Boston Red Sox (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/bostonredsox/index.html?inline=nyt-org) are a poor excuse for a good baseball team. For the second year in a row, they have squandered an advantage they had over the Yankees (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/newyorkyankees/index.html?inline=nyt-org), this year even more grievously than last. Like last year, they will very likely pay for their profligacy.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Dan:

Well said posts about the overall pitching performance and the other things factoring into this season. (i.e. 'blaming' umpires / relying almost totally on offense)

Lip

Sad
08-08-2006, 12:46 PM

well we definitely have a chance still, I just think we just need to make up alot of ground in August...
the Tigers have 17 home games in Sep & we only see them 3 times...

will they slump?

JB98
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Here's the reality we have to face:

Buerhle: Winless in his last seven starts, hit hard in six of those appearances
Garcia: Winless in his last six starts, hit hard in five of those appearance
Contreras: 1-4 in five starts since the All-Star break
Vazquez: Win on Saturday was his first since 7/6
Garland: God bless you, Jon!

How the hell do you win a pennant with this rotation?

Ima_Tigerfan
08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
What are you all talking about? Give me a break, I am a huge fan of the Tigers, but you all need to realize that you're not out of this yet. You went on a bad strech, and those suck. But the Tigers could do the exact same thing. There is fifty games left. One injury here or there could be the end of the season for us. Example, what if Verlander went down with an injury. Would everyone here who is saying the Whitesox are out of contention for the Division come back and say they can win it now? Give your team the fan support they deserve for winning the WS last year and stick with them.

It is true that your pitching has been struggling as of late. Anyone that doesn't see that isn't paying much attention but I still contend that you can pull out of that. If you string together two good wins, all of a sudden the next game, the pitcher has the mentality that, "hey if they did it, maybe I can as well." And so on and so on...

P.S. I really like this forum and having been lurking for a while. Please don't be upset I'm a tiger fan:smile:.

maurice
08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
IMO, strength of schedule is a red herring. When the Sox starters pitch well, they can beat anybody. When they pitch poorly (or the 3/4 hitters fall asleep), they can lose to anybody. There's no way of predicting how they'll do from here on out. Que sera sera.

At least we're pretty healthy. Boston and Minnesota (and even the Tigers) wish that they could say the same.

soxtalker
08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
What are you all talking about? Give me a break, I am a huge fan of the Tigers, but you all need to realize that you're not out of this yet. You went on a bad strech, and those suck. But the Tigers could do the exact same thing. There is fifty games left. One injury here or there could be the end of the season for us. Example, what if Verlander went down with an injury. Would everyone here who is saying the Whitesox are out of contention for the Division come back and say they can win it now? Give your team the fan support they deserve for winning the WS last year and stick with them.

It is true that your pitching has been struggling as of late. Anyone that doesn't see that isn't paying much attention but I still contend that you can pull out of that. If you string together two good wins, all of a sudden the next game, the pitcher has the mentality that, "hey if they did it, maybe I can as well." And so on and so on...

P.S. I really like this forum and having been lurking for a while. Please don't be upset I'm a tiger fan:smile:.

Thanks for your comments. It sounds like this is your personal opinion. What is the general feeling among long-time Detroit fans (i.e., those who were coming out to games and posting comments on your boards before this year)? This is the sort of perspective that fenway often brings us from Boston. Also, is there a Detroit board that you consider roughly equivalent to WSI?

soxinem1
08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
When I first opened this thread, it was not to throw in the towel on the season, just the division. It was not to be a big 'what if' board or 'Blame Center', but to set a realistic goal for the rest of the 2006 season.

But as I read most of the posts, it is obvious that we are picking up on the true worry, and that is the performance of the team. Last month a lot of people were saying we could win 105 games and lose the division, now they are saying 96. I sure hope 86 is not the next number brought up.

The point I'd like to raise is the pitching staff. This is an ensemble of great arms that, and this is the biggest difference of 2005 to 2006, is attacking the hitters and picking each other up. The one thing that made this group so tough last year was how they attacked the strike zone, hit their spots, and just put the ball on the bats, if not putting it by the hitters.

This year, the aggressiveness is not there. Vasquez showed how attacking the strike zone with your best pitch can change everything. But then last night a lot of fans complained that the umps blew the calls.

Well, yes and no. If anyone has Tivo or taped the game, watch Buerhle. He nibbled and nibbled and nibbled, as he has been for a month+ now, all night. What happened to his customary jamming hitters with a good FB or cutter in? He never once went after any hitter.

It is this tenativeness that is making these guys pitch BP instead of pitching to the batter. We all know, regardless of who's umping, that the guys behind the dish rarely give calls to the nibblers.

I think the best thing for these guys to do as a group is to start attacking the hitters again.

Ima_Tigerfan
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your comments. It sounds like this is your personal opinion. What is the general feeling among long-time Detroit fans (i.e., those who were coming out to games and posting comments on your boards before this year)? This is the sort of perspective that fenway often brings us from Boston. Also, is there a Detroit board that you consider roughly equivalent to WSI?
To be honest, I've never been much of a post on forums like this until just recently but from my discussions with other tiger fans around here that have been for a while, this is pretty new for everyone and mostly were just excited to be where we are. As much as everyone keeps talking about pressure being put on the Tigers to win it all after a season like this, I don't really feel, along with other people around here, that there is all that much pressure. This has been a great season for the Tigers but I started this season with the hopes of us winning more this year than last year and we have. We've been getting much better the last few years and this is also just another step in the right direction. IMO, one of the best things about baseball is the fact that teams don't usually go from the basement of the standings to the top in one off season. It takes time, thus it takes time to go back down, which is why the Whitesoxs, though they should be starting to worry a bit shouldn't get to down on themselves right now. They've hit a rough patch and have to work through it. Unlike a sport like football where a rough patch could last all season, because it is a short season, baseball has 162 games. A rough patch could be an entire month and a half and still the team could put it together.

In terms of forums I usually go to, I tend to stay on this one for general talk and use motownsports.com for Tiger talk.

nysox35
08-08-2006, 02:44 PM

Wow, thank you, I needed that!
As I posted earlier in this thread, seeing the lead balloon up to 10 games really makes me doubt our chances to come back and catch you guys.
Is it possible? Sure, if we rip off an 8-2 run in our 10 head to head games and either play out of our minds or if you guys slump, then it's possible.
But being an econ major, I'm looking at probabilities and thinking that those things will not all happen.
That said, I'm not giving up. I fully expect to win the wild card and make noise in the playoffs.
I'd love to win the division, it just doesn't seem likely at this rate.
Kudos to the Tigers for proving everyone wrong (including me) 110 games in.

Foulke You
08-08-2006, 03:29 PM

And amazingly enough, despite those stats, we still have a share of the AL Wild Card lead. If we even get our starting rotation at half throttle, with the offense we have, we should be able to get in the playoffs.

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
And amazingly enough, despite those stats, we still have a share of the AL Wild Card lead. If we even get our starting rotation at half throttle, with the offense we have, we should be able to get in the playoffs.

Well, and that's the aggravating part. WE KNOW these guys are good. Somebody needs to tell THEM that, I guess!:cool:

SoxWillWin
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
My personal opinion......

If the Sox make the playoffs, great.

If the Sox Repeat, awesome.

If the Sox end up between 20 and 30 games over 500 and don't make the playoffs it is still a winning season....it doesn't mean they suck, just that other teams played better. Now of course not making the playoffs my cause some "bandwagoneers" to jump off, but it's not the end of the world.

miker
08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
The reality is that it is August 4, 2006. The season, IIRC, ends in two months. At that time I'll accept the reality, good or bad, but regardless of how this season ends, I will still be a Sox fan! :gulp:

SoxWillWin
08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
The reality is that it is August 4, 2006. The season, IIRC, ends in two months. At that time I'll accept the reality, good or bad, but regardless of how this season ends, I will still be a Sox fan! :gulp:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice disclaimer also

miker
08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice disclaimer also
Why thank you!

cgaudin
08-08-2006, 05:06 PM

It's a nice view from way up there, isn't it? You guys are so far ahead, I can't even smell the motor oil anymore......10 games and rising....

KyWhiSoxFan
08-08-2006, 05:12 PM

Yes, it's been brutal. But based on the assumption that Buerhle, Garcia, and Contreras will not be out of baseball at this time next year, their careers over because they continued on that same performance level for another year ... if two of those three can get back on track, Garland continues to pitch well and Vazquez has gotten himself straightened out and can duplicate his performance of last time out, the Sox can get back to a winning pace of 2 of every 3 games. (I'm hoping this slump is not months long, just one month long.)

I really can't believe that Buerhle, Garcia, and especially Contreras are finished.

itsnotrequired
08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I really can't believe that Buerhle, Garcia, and especially Contreras are finished.

:?:

unclegary
08-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Fifty games left. Ten games out. Three very good teams fighting for the Wild Card. We have a pitching staff that gives up six runs a game. I'm depressed. Can some one give me reasons to believe based on facts....not feelings. Die Hard fans need to believe and the emotions of baseball are fuel for that fire. But tell me WHY we can win the wild card considering the shape of the pitching. I'm not being a dark cloud....but to quote Springsteen, I need "a reason to believe". What do you think?

mikesouthside
08-08-2006, 05:50 PM
It all starts tonight....the rebirth of the champs......C'MON FIRE UP !!!!

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Is there anyone who doesn't think they're underachieving right now? If you're underachieving, chances are pretty good you're going to get better. It's that simple. By the same token, the Tigers are overachieving. The only question is, can the natural process of correction close the gap before October 1?

NoShoesJoe
08-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Is there anyone who doesn't think they're underachieving right now? If you're underachieving, chances are pretty good you're going to get better. It's that simple. By the same token, the Tigers are overachieving. The only question is, can the natural process of correction close the gap before October 1?

The Sox have had no prior history of underachieving for 88 years.

ChiSoxGirl
08-08-2006, 06:03 PM

The law of averages suggests that the Tigers HAVE to cool down at some point because their pace is beyond ridiculous; they're 40 games over .500! :o: Even we cooled off last year (see August 1-September 20), so you've got to think that something's gotta give in Detroit. All we can do is hope and just believe this can and does happen, right?

SoxWillWin
08-08-2006, 06:09 PM

probably not, but the natural process of correction will probably lead the tigers to a 100 loss season next year:smile:

IronFisk
08-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Fifty games left. Ten games out. Three very good teams fighting for the Wild Card. We have a pitching staff that gives up six runs a game. I'm depressed. Can some one give me reasons to believe based on facts....not feelings. Die Hard fans need to believe and the emotions of baseball are fuel for that fire. But tell me WHY we can win the wild card considering the shape of the pitching. I'm not being a dark cloud....but to quote Springsteen, I need "a reason to believe". What do you think?

Crap happens, and this game is as funny as they come. Ride it out, you might be in for a pleasant shock.

pauliemyhero14
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
i dont kno how people dont believe the sox can win the division. U have to believe they will win it till the division is mathmaticaly eleminated from our contention. and our elimation # is 41 we still have a long way to go people

Railsplitter
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree. What shame is there in the White Sox making it in as a Wild Card team with 96-98 wins? The Tigers winning the division won't mean a damn thing if we kick their ass in the ALCS. Besides, three out of the last four World Champions have been Wild Card winners. It's all about who gets hot at the right time, and the Sox will get hot at the right time. Just wait and see.

Thank you.

I don't care what happened with the Indians last year, the Met in 1969 or the Giants in 1951. What makes such comebacks special is they don't happen all the time.

cgaudin
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
The REAL White Sox must show up to this series. If the Sox win at least two, they are still in the division. If they do not, then we will be scoreboard watching the Twins and Red Sox. I don't like the way this is shaping out. Our last 3 games of the season are AT Minnesota. I wonder how HUGE that series will turn out to be.

soxinem1
08-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I have to admit, I am more encouraged now than I was just a few days ago. There is still a hill to climb, but hey, it looks like these guys are starting to use all of the components of their attack again.

It appears the patients has shown life, and I will be more than happy to stand up and admit I was wrong if they pull this off.

Hats off to a good weekend, now let's start going for the throat!!

TornLabrum
08-14-2006, 08:05 AM
I have to admit, I am more encouraged now than I was just a few days ago. There is still a hill to climb, but hey, it looks like these guys are starting to use all of the components of their attack again.

It appears the patients has shown life, and I will be more than happy to stand up and admit I was wrong if they pull this off.

Hats off to a good weekend, now let's start going for the throat!!

Repeat after me. "It's a marathon, not a sprint."

Jurr
08-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Like a LOT of us have been saying since July......the Sox, like every other team, was destined to have a bump in the road. Playing a really tough set of teams in July, combined with a streak of sloppy play, our boys struggled during the entire month. They still finished only 5 games under .500 during the month. The team got back to basics, found that "win 2 of 3" mentality, and now they're back to playing Sox ball.

Just like last September, we find that a little faith is well warranted and has once again been rewarded.

soxinem1
08-14-2006, 01:07 PM

I will post it on my front lawn if they win the ALC!!!

southwstchi4life
08-14-2006, 01:51 PM

Exactly, how funny a threads tone can chaneg within a week. My attitude as well. I wasnt jumpin overboard, but I was worried. What keeps me sane is thinking about last year. How we almost blew that lead. I left for school in late august, my dad startin to get a little worried. I thought he was nutz. Late september hits im eating my words. Could have been the worse thing fcollapse in sox history. So, kinda made me less panic this year. But he have to play well consistantly, not perfect but well

White City
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
By which I mean:

We just went through rough waters in July, but seem to have straightened our keel with the last road trip. So while many might be awaiting a crash into the shoals with dread, I personally am sensing deeper waters and strong tail winds.

Or, how about:

When your brothers begin to lose faith, lift them up. And if they persist, and leave the faith, well, then better seats for you!

Imagine how we'll all feel in about two weeks!