PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Bagwell?

thomas35forever
08-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Is he still active or did he retire?

Fenway
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Houston still has him on the DL

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=hou

I'll never understand why the Red Sox traded him away, can you imagine the numbers Bagwell would have had at Fenway???

JUribe1989
08-07-2006, 03:33 PM

I'll never understand why the Red Sox traded him away, can you imagine the numbers Bagwell would have had at Fenway???

I am thinking he would have 500 HR's already had he been with the Red Sox his whole career or played in Minute Maid his whole career with the Crawford Boxes.

Scottiehaswheels
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM

I'll never understand why the Red Sox traded him away, can you imagine the numbers Bagwell would have had at Fenway???Didn't you trade him for a pitcher way back when for the stretch run or something? I think I heard that somewhere..

Oblong
08-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Larry Anderson.

Fenway
08-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Didn't you trade him for a pitcher way back when for the stretch run or something? I think I heard that somewhere..

Traded him for Larry Anderson

Andersen pitched only 22 innings for the Red Sox, and was only one-for-four in the save department. In 1991 he was off to San Diego.

The amazing part of the story is that Boston GM Lou Gorman NEVER saw him play even though New Britian is a 2 hour drive from Boston.

russ99
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Bagwell's now living in San Diego. He stayed with the team while they played the Padres recently, but otherwise isn't with the team.

Chez
08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I seem to recall that the Astros put him on the DL because of an insurance issue -- the 'stros were trying to collect on a policy that kicked in if Bags was hurt rather than retired.

jamokes
08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Too bad Bags wasn't ready to admit that he was done, that part of baseball is a business.

gbergman
08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Bagpipes lives in San Diego now? Awesome!

russ99
08-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I seem to recall that the Astros put him on the DL because of an insurance issue -- the 'stros were trying to collect on a policy that kicked in if Bags was hurt rather than retired.

Yes - he's still on the 60 day DL, but requested to stay in S.D. with his family. I think he has an option year next season, but I'm not sure if he'll keep up the charade of the DL for another year for insurance purposes or not. Regardless, he's being paid deferred money for the next couple of seasons by the Astros, so he'll have a comfortable life in S.D. I'm sure that he'll get a job with the Astros someday. He'd probably need to get that artificial shoulder surgery he was talking about first. He was talking about that as early as the start of last season.

I also read somewhere that the Astros case vs. the (schlocky) insurance company was coming up pretty soon.