PDA

View Full Version : Top Sox WebGems

MVP
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Baseball Tonight is running a feature on each teamís top three defensive plays (web gems) over their history. If I had to guess, Iíd say the top three Sox web gems would be:
1) Uribeís diving catch into the stands in Game 4 of the 05 World Series.
2) Iguchiís throw to first as he fell nearly parallel to the ground earlier this year.
3) Fisk tags out two baserunners at the plate in 85.

I guess these are some pretty obvious choices but can anyone think of any other plays that are worthy?

itsnotrequired
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76635

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
That catch Crede made when he was laying down next to the tarp.

Madvora
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
That catch Crede made when he was laying down next to the tarp.
I'm pretty sure that one bounced off the tarp, but was missed by the ump. I watched a replay of that one over and over. That was last year, right?

itsnotrequired
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that one bounced off the tarp, but was missed by the ump. I watched a replay of that one over and over. That was last year, right?

Nope, this year. And I'm pretty sure it hit the tarp as well but I admit, the camera work isn't the best.

wilburaga
08-07-2006, 04:21 PM
1) Calderon Climbing the Wall (in Detroit??)
2) Uribe diving into the stands in Houston
3) Pick one by The Bandit

W

slobes
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM

I think that hit the tarp too, but it was still a pretty cool play.

jackbrohamer
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
They should include one of Ken Berry's circus catches in centerfield.

I want Mags back
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Uribe's catch will definately be no. 1. There is nothing better. ESPN is obsessed with that Jeter catch a few years ago, where he makes the catch, and then his momentum takes him into the stands. Uribe is 100x better, becasuse actually makes the catch in the stands

Foulke You
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Uribe's catch will definately be no. 1. There is nothing better. ESPN is obsessed with that Jeter catch a few years ago, where he makes the catch, and then his momentum takes him into the stands. Uribe is 100x better, becasuse actually makes the catch in the stands
Also, Jeter's catch was a regular season game against the Red Sox, while Uribe's happened in a 1-0 game of the World Series. A wee bit more pressure than Jeter's game.

Foulke You
08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Baseball Tonight is running a feature on each teamís top three defensive plays (web gems) over their history. If I had to guess, Iíd say the top three Sox web gems would be:
1) Uribeís diving catch into the stands in Game 4 of the 05 World Series.
2) Iguchiís throw to first as he fell nearly parallel to the ground earlier this year.
3) Fisk tags out two baserunners at the plate in 85.

I guess these are some pretty obvious choices but can anyone think of any other plays that are worthy?
Those would probably be the best 3 from my lifetime. I'd give honorable mention to Ray Durham's reverse diving catch on Opening Night in 2000 as well as Rowands diving catch backward at Yankee Stadium in 2005. I also know we've turned a few triple plays in the last 5 years but I can't remember the specific games.

I never saw the likes of Nellie Fox, Minnie Minoso, or Luis Aparicio playball. I'm sure some of the old timer posters on this board will chime in with stuff from the go go era.

Scottzilla
08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
im 27 so i dont go that far back either but i know i go back farther than espn they only go back 3-4 years

soxinem1
08-07-2006, 07:27 PM
1) Calderon Climbing the Wall (in Detroit??)
2) Uribe diving into the stands in Houston
3) Pick one by The Bandit

W

The Calderon catch was classic! I remember him jumping on top of the scoreboard to get it. And it was in old Tiger Stadium.

And Rickey Henderson doubling into a DP in NY was great too. I remember watching it then turning on the radio and listening to Lorne Brown call it. He had no voice the rest of the game he yelled so loud.

PKalltheway
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Also, Jeter's catch was a regular season game against the Red Sox, while Uribe's happened in a 1-0 game of the World Series. A wee bit more pressure than Jeter's game.
Not only was it 1-0, it was 1-0 in Game 4 of the World Series, bottom of the ninth inning, with one out and the tying run on second. Can you say clutch?:cool:

miker
08-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Ivan Calderon scaling the fence in Detroit to take a home run away in the late 80s.
A.J. advancing to first base on a dropped third strike last October!

Zisk77
08-09-2006, 02:13 AM
How about one-dog making a fully extended back hand diving catch in the rc power alley to end an inning with tinkies on the corner's preserving a blackjack complete game shut out. Amazing game. The big hurt hit a solo shot in the the first off of Jim "two silhouettes on" Deshaies. Black Jack pitched out of 3 1st and third situations with no one out(Puckett, Winfield, Mack were the guys he kept getting out). And the funny thing was Blackjack had nothing that day. He just battled and somehow got it down.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-11-2006, 02:29 AM
No. 3. Uribe's diving catch in the stands in the 9th inning of WS Game 4.

No. 2. Iguchi airborne.

No. 1. Fisk tagging out two at the plate at Yankee Stadium. This play was recently recapped in the "This Day in Sox History" thread for August 2.

You called it, MVP.